Brass Screw on Tips

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sparra

Brass Screw on Tips

#1 Post by Sparra » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:04 pm

Just wondering if you still need to taper the tips for the brass screw on points...If so do you just taper the same as a glue on point???

Thanks...Sparra
Cheers...Sparra

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

longbow steve

Re: Brass Screw on Tips

#2 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:29 pm

I havent used them Sparra but Kev does a small taper on the end to get it started. Steve

longbowinfected

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:54 pm

A lot depends on where inside the point the thread is. Different brands are slightly different. I use a Bearclaw taper tool to just start the point on. I use the same point to act like a thread cutter. Prior to attaching the points I clean the timbe and the points inside. When attaching the points I use a dab of Loctite 406 super glue.

I must say that I now prefer the stainless steel points. I find that there isess problenm glueing them. If you intend shooting in AA tournaments make sure your 11/32 points do not exceed 9.4 millimetres in cross width.

Both the brass and stainless points go well and really look great.
Enjoy.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

perry

#4 Post by perry » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:24 pm

The brass screw on points I use still need a full taper but I bought them in the 90's before parallel screw on points hit our shores. I've been told that the screw on parallel points hold on best if you give the section of shaft that goes inside the point a roll under a rolling pin or similar to compress the wood first, you them screw on the point and as the wood swells back to it's size it locks them on real solid.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

longbowinfected

#5 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:52 pm

Perry, John McDonald sold me a pair of "pliers" with smooth inner jaws for doing that and they work quite well. You have to be careful that you only compress a paperthin piece of the surface or the arrow breaks easily upon impact. Good way to make point edges butt up smoothly with the shaft, too.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

jcm

#6 Post by jcm » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:37 pm

Couple of imported brands of the screw in brass points-
TopHat- made in Germany Parallel points
BearPaw- made in Germany- Tapered points
There are other makers in Europe also our local- Mark of Trad Bits
Available direct from the makers TopHat or Bearpaw,other distributors 3 Rivers, Flybow,Quicks or I have both available.
Regards
John