Chinese Recurves Warning

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

Chinese Recurves Warning

#1 Post by matt61 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:47 am

Hi guys
Recently purchased one of these cheap($110)Chinese made recurves off Ebay. Wanting it to just use to bow fish carp with. Brand -Toparchery
As soon as I put it together and tried drawing it, I knew it was not the 50 pound draw weight that was marked on it as I have two American made trad bows that are both 50 pounds and another
one that's 52 pounds.
I put it on our clubs bow press and draw tested it with the digital draw testing scale and winch we bought to go with the press and it pulled 71 pounds at 28", a few pounds heavy :surprised:
The seller refused to believe the photo's I sent them :roll: , so I put in a claim with photo's to Ebay and it's going back.

Anyone had the same issue :roll: just curious,but with safety concerns for an inexperienced shooters buying one of these and ending up injured because they think their pulling 50 pounds.
Recurve bow.jpg
Recurve bow.jpg (30.59 KiB) Viewed 9662 times
P1010466.JPG
P1010466.JPG (104.72 KiB) Viewed 9662 times
Attachments
P1010461.JPG
P1010461.JPG (80.54 KiB) Viewed 9653 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Chinese Recurves Warning

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:04 am

Wow that is not even in the same paddock weight wise. Not good that is for sure.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:01 am

Hi Matt,

I recently had an experience with a Chinese made Assyrian style bow that was supposedly 35#.

It went the other way and came in at 23#.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:12 pm

It's from a warehouse here in Melbourne and I did mention to the seller that they could be legally responsible for medical bills
if someone that had bought one like mine and injured their shoulder trying to draw it back.
I just wonder how many like this one have been bought/sold :roll:.
One of my mates bought one as well for the same reason, so I am very keen to test it as a point of interest.
Matt

matt61

#5 Post by matt61 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:44 am

Tested the one my mate bought, using my handheld draw weight tester. Pulled 60 pounds at 26 inches :?

matt61

#6 Post by matt61 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:35 pm

Sent a question to a different seller of these bows on Ebay here in Australia asking if I bought a bow off him would he guarantee it would be the draw weight that's written on it.
I included pics of the one I sent back to the seller and told them about my mates one being the same ,70 pounds but marked as 50 pounds.

He told me...DO NOT... buy a bow from him if I want a specific draw weight as they cannot guarantee the bow will actually pull the marked draw weight. :roll: :roll:
Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:31 am

A pretty ridiculous situation there Matt. :roll:

Jeff

AngusB

#8 Post by AngusB » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:17 pm

I have recently had trouble with a Topachery (sic) bow.

matt61

#9 Post by matt61 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:48 pm

Hi Angus
What was the problem with the bow, just curious.
Matt

matt61

#10 Post by matt61 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:45 pm

Hi Guys
How's this, the seller of these shonky bows has just emailed me and is offering me a free bow that's actually is 50# which is all I wanted from the start.
The reason is to many people have heard of this post and are now not buying these bows.

The BRIBE is a free bow on the condition that I delete this post.......NOT GOING TO HAPPEN :twisted: :twisted:

I am not going to let them cheat and possible injure more unsuspecting innocent buyers. They need to learn from this and go back and fix the fault at the factory.
Matt

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by kerry » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:20 am

:handgestures-thumbup: well done Matt
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:57 am

Good onya Matt. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Jeff

matt61

#13 Post by matt61 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:45 pm

TTT

matt61

#14 Post by matt61 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:57 pm

I had the Seller send me another one of these bows and he said test it. Test it I did, It pulled 72 pounds @ 28" ( mark as being 50 pounds). That's three of them now, all pulling over 70 pounds.

I looked on Youtube and found a clip made in the USA praising the virtues of these bows , but with Youtube I like to read the comments section.

Well after reading only a few comments, I am cracking up laughing :lol: after reading this comment from a buyer.....very nice bow, but very hard to pull maybe I'm a weakling :roll:
and it wasn't the only one like that from buyers.

I wonder why.???
Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:36 am

So ridiculous!!!

Jeff

matt61

#16 Post by matt61 » Tue May 10, 2022 4:19 pm

TTT

matt61

#17 Post by matt61 » Wed May 18, 2022 4:38 pm

Hi All
A bit of an update on this story. I had the so called owner of Toparchery contact me and as I said he offered me another bow that would be guaranteed to be 50 pounds.
That bow arrived and was over 70 pounds, I contacted him and told him that and he said I could keep it.
I upped the ante and said I want two 50 pound bows, one for me and one for my mate that had bought one as well and a return postage docket for my mates one as I would send it back.
He agreed to that, but a little while later he contacted me again and backtracked and made a counter offer that as I still had the second 70 pound bow that he said I could keep
and my mate could keep his 70 pound one, don't bother posting it back and that he would send to me two sets of 50 pound limbs and the condition was I delete this post
when they arrive and are actually 50 pound draw weight.
That was over three months ago, did get a message from him about two months ago saying were delivery issues, but the limbs will be arriving shortly.
This is why I keep rebooting this post.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed May 18, 2022 7:25 pm

Very bad service!!!

Jeff

matt61

#19 Post by matt61 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:06 am

Still waiting for the promised 50 pound bows to arrive :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

matt61

#20 Post by matt61 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:36 pm

Hi All
Just had another interesting episode with a Chinese seller of Toparchery bows on Ebay
Found a seller selling a cheap new version of the limbs to fit the riser I have sitting here with the useless 70# limbs from the above story, so I sent them a question asking what's the difference.
They replied just a different colour scheme, so I asked them would they guarantee that their limbs would be the poundage draw weight that was written on them and to be aware that I had
access to draw weight testing gear.

Their response was to block me as buyer :surprised: :shock: :evil: Don't buy from this Ebay Seller outdoor_hunting

Should I complain to Ebay???? Could be fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:54 am

Obviously an unscrupulous mob! :angry-steamingears:

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#22 Post by greybeard » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:58 am

matt61 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:36 pm Their response was to block me as buyer :surprised: :shock: :evil: Don't buy from this Ebay Seller outdoor_hunting
Should I complain to Ebay???? Could be fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matt
Hi Matt,

Was it TopArchery or the EBay seller that blocked you from his site?

If it was the EBay seller I would be inclined to pass all the relevant details to EBay. They may be able to apply enough pressure on the seller to bring this sorry event to a finish.

I have had a couple minor issues [bows under draw weight] dealing with some of the archery suppliers in China. In one instance they gave me a refund of 50% of the purchase price of the bow.

Fortunately I was able to on sell the bows and managed to make a small profit. :D

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

matt61

#23 Post by matt61 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:35 pm

Hi Daryl
No, not Toparchery that I am aware of, but it's pretty easy sell under many different names as you and I know the honest :roll: Chinese sellers do.

I contacted Ebay, minutes after posting on here and told them that the seller had blocked me when I asked them would they guarantee what they sell.
They asked for the item number and then checked my replies and said I had been fair and reasonable and would contact
the seller and it could lead to loss of selling rights for them.
As of this afternoon, the seller still has me blocked.
Matt