Do we have any fixed crawlers on the site???

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Do we have any fixed crawlers on the site???

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:26 pm

No, I'm not one, but my wife sometimes says I am. I suppose when I want something from her, my actions could be described as fixed and they could definitely be described as crawling. :smile:

If you are a fixed crawler, could you please give us a rundown on the benefits that you see in using that particular technique?
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

bigbob

Re: Do we have any fixed crawlers on the site???

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:33 pm

??????????? :think: :think: :think:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:41 pm

Basically, it's a form of string walking. Instead of using your tab or your fingers to work out where to place your fingers on the string, you have a fixed nock on the string (in addition to the arrow nock/s) that you place your tab against. Usually people who use this system have the fixed nock positioned to give them a point on, impact point at around 20 metres, but you could have it at any set distance. It's a technique that wouldn't be allowed at most shoots, as far as I know.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:39 pm

No good to me , half the time I don't even have a nock point on my string!!! I'm always changing bows just cause I can[!] and half the time they really don't have a nock point on the string.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:53 pm

This might give you a better idea ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthFu6fxjeM

I haven't tried it myself. I think it would put a huge strain on the bow.

UPTHETOP

#6 Post by UPTHETOP » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:41 am

So instead of putting sights on your bow you put them on your string instead is that right Mick ?

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:04 am

Basically Wayno. The way I figure it, if comps are going to allow string walking or fixed crawling, they might as well allow sights. Not that I'm leaning that way personally. I doubt I would ever try any of these things, not that I have anything against them. I'm happy shooting the way I am, even though its as mediocre as what it is.

I just felt like opening up the subject for discussion to try to get some insight into what others think about it.

perry

#8 Post by perry » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:36 pm

I bought an ILF Bow Years ago and set it up with a negative Tiller and played around with String Walking. You can use a Bow with fixed Tiller to String Walk, the Bow Maker just needs to Tiller the Bow appropriately for the Archer. None the less I could never say the Bow was quite when I had it set up to String Walk.

I counted Stitching down my Tab instead of Points on the String. I was more comfortable with Gaps so went back to my Hybrid system where out to point Blank Range I use Split Vision and pure Gap out past Point Blank. I now realise my unusually high Anchor Point with Split or 3 Under developed over time due to Spinal Curvature pushing my Right Shoulder higher than my left, this means my Point Blank Range is quite a bit closer than most other Archers with similar Gear and String Walking does not offer the longer Range benefits it does to some other Archers

If a Traditional Archer puts in the time to learn String Walking, Face Walking, Gaps or anything other System that is generally frowned upon, good on them! They are using a Technique developed by Traditional Archers.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:15 am

No, you won't get any arguments from me in that regard Jacko. If traditional archers want to experiment, that's up to them and good luck to them. We're all different. How boring would it be if everyone was the same.

rooni79

#10 Post by rooni79 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:29 pm

I shoot three under & I use a 20m fixed crawl. I'm not a target shooter though. My crawl is about 1/2-3/4 of an inch below my arrow (I haven't measured). I have my arrows tuned nicely for that, and it takes a fair bit of guess work out it. I then gap for closer or further away. About 4-5 inches high for 25m, and the same under for 10-15m, but if I am honest I pretty much shoot the closer distances instinctively. For the longer bunny shots I know my point on is 37m.
My bow is a little noisier, but not by a huge amount.
I love learning new things, so next month I may be trying a new technique or even have my sight back on the bow :D

matt61

#11 Post by matt61 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:10 pm

For me It would just another thing to think about doing in the heat of the moment and forget to do with a fox coming in fast to rabbit whistle.

And I already have my arrow nocked between two tied on nocking points and anchor with my index finger at the corner of my mouth which is a fixed point.

Probably work well with the American style of hunting from a tree stand.
Matt

perry

#12 Post by perry » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:39 pm

Thats the thing with methods like Gap, String and Face Walking thats so often misunderstood. Practice them enough and they become ingrained, you don't think you just do! Each Style or System has its advantages and disadvantages, that's why I feel it's best to learn bits and pieces of each and craft a Style that works for you.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

knoath

#13 Post by knoath » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:53 am

G'Day, first post here.
I am very new to Archery, after introducing my 11yo son to it to get him off his iPad, I have been hooked!
I watched The Push on YouTube and I am working through the fixed crawl technique. I built a target butt at home (I have a large yard) and I have been setting crawl distances using my 3 under tab.
I went to my local 3D range yesterday and was successful over a range of distances and angles (downhill).
I noticed that once I got out to 30 and 35m I had to begin gap shooting as my fingers were at the nock point at around 26-7m... think I'm doing something wrong???

Anyway, I'm loving archery and I can't wait to get out on my first 3D shoot in Feb!

UPTHETOP

#14 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 am

Knoath, first of all welcome to the site. I think the push video is one of the best brought out for new comers as it covers the whole range of bows and shooting methods used in the trade scene. I would like to give his techn/ a go but alas the tennis elbow and ingrained poor form and grey matter just wont let me try anything different. Give all the styles a go and use which one works best for you.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

knoath

#15 Post by knoath » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome Wayno!

Kendaric

#16 Post by Kendaric » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:14 am

ABA doesn't allow this method of aiming, however AA allows face and string walking in their barebow recurve division (not longbow) - which surprises me, but probably has more to do with American element when FITA become World Archery (speculation only). 3DAAA allows it on their open division (not Trad division). TAA guidelines doesn't mention anything, and I think you will find most Trad events (with association to TAA) don't really care, though I get the overall impression that it is sort of frowned upon, but that could just be my interpretation.
Last edited by Kendaric on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BowmanBjorn

#17 Post by BowmanBjorn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:39 pm

string walking, ace walking, fixed crawl, split vision, "instinctive", gap etc are all just forms of aiming. each has its benefits and weaknesses.

a fixed crawl is basically taking the good from string walking and the good from gap shooting and doing away with the negatives of each. a fixed point on the string that you always put your shooting glove/tab/fingers to when you draw your bow.

mostly used for short to medium range hunting and 3D targets, its certainly not a competitive aiming system like Gap or string walking but VERY effective in the bush.

the fixed point corresponds to a point on distance that you are most likely to shoot at lets say 20m. that way when the animal is in that range you put the tip of the arrow on the place you want to hit and let her fly. for shots closer or further away aiming a couple inches higher or lower depending on if the target is further or closer and your good to go. if anything in the heat of the moment when adrenalin is high and everything is happening quick having something simple to take your mind off the shot like putting the point on the shoulder blade is very helpful to stop you "blacking out and launching an arrow over that pigs back.

i've dappled with it on and off and it certainly works, my problem is a chop and change bows and haven't gotten around to setting up a fixed crawl on all of my bows so i just end up shooting the "instinctive" way.
Centaur Triple carbon elite 2pce 60# @30"
Thunderstick MOAB 50# @30"
Flat line Raptor 45# @30"
Norseman Wrath 2pce 54# @30"
Norseman trilam ELB 104# @ 32"

Kendaric

#18 Post by Kendaric » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:07 pm

It comes as a bit of a surprise to me, but AA and World Archery (fka FITA) do allow facewalking and string walking in their barebow division. By the description, it is an non-compound division.

Apparently it is increasing in popularity, particularly for indoor events. Commentary even suggested than Australian Olympic Gold Medialist Simon Fairweather has expressed a keen interest in this division.

Watching on youtube some of these barebow indoor events, most appear to adapt a fixed crawler anchor set for 18 metres, the most common indoor WA round.

Whilst ABA and IFAA do not allow facewalking, string walking or fixed crawl, and with 3DAAA allowing it their open division (where almost anything goes) and Recurve Un-aided, does TAA or more accurately TRAD Events allow this method of aiming?

I see no guidelines or rules stating that they can not.
Last edited by Kendaric on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bowhunting1k

#19 Post by Bowhunting1k » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Well actually ABA doesn't allow string/face walking same with IFAA in Bowhunter Recurve but in IFAA Barebow recurve or compound as well you are able to face/string walk and use long stabiliser. Karl

Kendaric

#20 Post by Kendaric » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Bowhunting1k wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:37 pm Well actually ABA doesn't allow string/face walking same with IFAA in Bowhunter Recurve but in IFAA Barebow recurve or compound as well you are able to face/string walk and use long stabiliser. Karl
You are right. I had a closer look at the IFAA rules, and whilst it does not mention string/face walking this division, it doesn't actually say that you can't use it, unlike some other division which stipulates a fixed anchor point etc. Interesting.

So, do Trad events allow it?

Chase N. Nocks

#21 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:01 pm

It can be quite confusing both finding and then comparing the information for Barebow Recurve between the various associations. For longbow it seems to be fairly consistent that a finger be touching the arrow nock. In some cases a Mediterranean release is also required.

I am trying to get a handle on the various rules and events available for Barebow and Longbow competition. I've scratched my head and had *** moments a few times.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"