Proposed Trad calendar for 2018

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

little arrows

Proposed Trad calendar for 2018

#1 Post by little arrows » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Here is the printable version - with clubs/associations still to confirm (TBC). I will update the file as advised.

FILE REMOVED 08/12/17 - HAS BEEN UPDATED BELOW

cheers
sue
Last edited by little arrows on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shrek

Re: Proposed Trad calendar for 2018

#2 Post by Shrek » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Wow great to see so many Trad shoots coming up next year.The TAA is looking hopefully at the Muster being about mid year calendar permitting.The venue is under investigation at the moment,probably in NSW but maybe a little bit north of Hunter Valley area although ABA park is a brilliant venue.Stay tuned we will keep you notified how it is going.

little arrows

#3 Post by little arrows » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Twin City Bowmen at Albury have confirmed their Trad shoot will be March 10/11, weekend before Wisemans Ferry.
Lakeside have notified the Jules Shield being held July 14 / 15 - also The Kurbongbah Open April 7/8 (although not strictly a Trad shoot, there is a separate course and is mentioned here for information only)
I have received confirmation Roadie and Trad friends are assisting the Murray Malley Club at Mannum SA, and they will be holding the White Rose Memorial Trad shoot (I believe it will be called) on the weekend of Sept 1/2. I have also recieved a message re Broken Hill Aug 25/26 and Swan Hill Sept 8/9 and yes the clubs still plans to hold Trad shoots on the dates noted, and with Wisemans Sept 15/16 there's a good trip coming up.
cheers
sue

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 pm

Have now been advised the Stanthorpe shoot will not be held March 3 / 4 as there is a festive being held on that weekend, so new date still be to sorted. The Twin City Bowmen at Albury shoot has been moved to March 10 / 11 and the Jules Shield at Lakeside has been shifted to July 7/8. I will upload a updated calendar when more of the shoots are confirmed.

cheers
sue

little arrows

#5 Post by little arrows » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:39 pm

have just had Stanthorpe confirm the Trad shoot is being held April 28/29. I have only just received confirmation re the shoot, shall delve into the card issue later, if it's all the same. The club is an ABA club, so we shall be prepared.

cheers
sue

little arrows

#6 Post by little arrows » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I have attached the updated proposed calendar with the host club association details and whether a card may or will be required. Please keep in mind some shoots still need to be confirmed as is noted.

file removed 10/12/17 and replaced as below.

cheers
sue
Last edited by little arrows on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

little arrows

#7 Post by little arrows » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:04 am

additional shoot To Be Confirmed - 6/7 Oct - Tenterfield Trad Archers - NSW TAA - Timber Only - Association card YES
plus Bega Asian Experience has date change from Sept 22/23 to AUG 18/19 - Prior to Broken Hill shoot.
These changes equate to 10 Trad shoots in a 12 week period... gosh it's contagious :)

cheers
sue

little arrows

#8 Post by little arrows » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Two more additions: 25pm /26am Aug, 2018 - mini Trad campover and 24/25 Nov 2018 - 2 day Xmas Trad shoot - Chevallan Archery Park - new upload also includes Tenterfield Inaugural and Bega date change.

added with edit - file removed and replaced with 090118

cheers
sue
Last edited by little arrows on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

little arrows

#9 Post by little arrows » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:20 pm

As per the Facebook page the Sunshine Coast Bowmen Club is now covered by ANAA. The Trad shoot date is still to be confirmed. If held it will be a visitor friendly shoot. :)
Stay tuned for further information.

cheers
sue

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:55 pm

I have attached the latest Proposed Trad shoot Calendar for 2018 as at 09/01/18 which now includes the association and also whether a card is required to attend. Some of the shoots are still to be confirmed.

Wisemans Ferry has moved from 15/16 Sept to 20/21 Oct. - both the Wisemans shoots will be uncatered and are true Get-togethers.

file removed and replaced as below 16/02/18

cheers
sue
Last edited by little arrows on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cetan56

#11 Post by cetan56 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 am

Oh no....
firstly, wonderful to see so many trad shoots being available....BUT I can hardly believe my eyes...Wisemans shoots which are "true gatherings" are allowing ANY sort of arrows!! Is this the thin edge of the wedge and the beginning of the end for wooden arrow trad shoots?
I have always thought that it was a good idea to allow "new" to trad shooters some flexibility for their first few shoots and allow carbons - as I believe some clubs/events do- but not be scored,but then to encourage them to "go the full trip" and use wooden arrows. But if one of the biggest venues/shoots for trad on Aust's east coast goes "any arrows" then I fear "the end of days" for wooden arrow trads is nigh.What do others think?

Roadie

#12 Post by Roadie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:09 pm

The feeling I have is Rob has had enough of the Politics that seems to be creeping into the Trad Events, and is slowly shutting down, and will no longer cater for the shoot as once in the past.
I hope I am wrong, because Its a Great Shoot, been to 7 of them but speaking to people I know this is the felling I'm getting. Cheers Roadie

little arrows

#13 Post by little arrows » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:12 pm

You have always been allowed to shoot "non timber" shafts at Wisemans, you were just not included in the competition. The Wisemans shoot has always been very much a social shoot with travelers coming from Qld and Vic to join those from NSW and sell their wares. Rob yes is quite over the politics and just wants everyone to gather and shoot and have a good time. It will be uncatered as the Chief Cook is unavailable. I am sure you will still be able to use the barbecue area.

There will still be a camping fee as we are using the facilities, and shooting the targets, plus all the events are still open.

At quite a few Trad shoots these days they have a Modern division - and it is only a small number, which gives new archers a chance to experience, and you also get those who will only shoot non-timber shafts.

We (us from Qld) will always be there a little earlier to give Rob a hand with setting up some of the events. It is a lot of work for just one soul to do.

Please contact me re the scoring and if I get enough feedback with people wanting to score, then we shall score. We are still going to shoot, unless Mother Nature has other ideas.

cheers
sue

little arrows

#14 Post by little arrows » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:09 pm

here is the latest Calendar as at 16/02/18. I have highlight the Visitors welcome/No card required shoots to make it easier for the independent archers.

cheers
sue

file removed by me 18/02/18 and replaced - see below
Last edited by little arrows on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

temudjin

#15 Post by temudjin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Hmmm. . . to weigh into a sensitive issue or keep my mouth shut? Anyone who knows me understands I have to have my say, so here goes:

I have always enjoyed trad archery as to me is it a quest to shoot as well as I can with the allowed equipment - trad bows and wooden arrows. I still shoot a short, primitive bow off the knuckle, even though I know a modern recurve with a shelf or a longbow would be more accurate. If equipment is not limited then the logical outcome is that very time someone gets as good as their equipment will allow there is a tendency to upgrade to "better" gear. I have seen this in motor sport, cycling and archery. And I'm sure it is the case in any pastime that has a reliance on gear rather than just the human element.

In some ways it's a good thing as it drives the development of new, better, lighter, faster, more reliable, more accurate, easier to use gear. On the other and it always adds cost (often substantial) and drives a more competitive environment. This is one of the main reasons we have compound bows in the world today. In my experience winning becomes more important than all the other reasons we got involved like camaraderie and so on.

I think the only fair way to include carbon or alloy arrows is to shoot them in a separate division from woods. But then this causes a proliferation of classes and therefore trophies. If we are not careful we'll end up like some other archery comps where almost everyone gets a prize because there are so many classes with only a few archers in each.

So. . . OK then put the carbons in the same classes with the woods. Keeps things simple but the fact is it is easier to shoot well with carbons as they require little effort to produce a nice and straight (but soulless) arrow, they are harder wearing and stay straight much longer. But of course that's then a good reason for those who shoot woods now to move to carbons to level the playing field isn't it.

Now you could say. . . we are not scoring (and therefore I assume no trophies) so what does it matter? Even though most trad archers are not overly competitive I think keeping score is an important part of the game as it tells us how well we are doing in our journey to be the best archer we can be. Or for that matter how bad a day we are really having when it all turns to custard.

To me there are plenty of shoots that already cater to carbon arrows. . . and trad shoots have always catered exclusively to woods. Once we allow carbons we are just another shoot competing with all the other shoots out there (ABA, 3DAA etc). And if we allow carbons why not compounds??

In my humble opinion, if we allow carbons then trad archery will lose one of the key elements that makes it unique and a lot of it's magic. And I think we should resist this change or we'll pay a serious price in the longer term.

OK. . . off my soapbox now and I promise to be quiet for a little while at least.

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#16 Post by Outbackdad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi Tom and All

You may be right with what you say but it is not going to matter to me as there are very few shoots I am going to be able to go to this year as I am not a member of a club. ( no club in Dalby )
A lot of the shoots I would like to go to are now ABA-3DAAA shoots only.

I only shoot bamboo arrows and will be keeping the tradition alive.

temudjin

#17 Post by temudjin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Hey Eddie,

I hear you mate. It's interesting that Gladstone but on the Muster Flyer for this year the following statement:

"All participants must present either an ABA or 3DAAA card"

a very clear message there. . . "don't bother coming unless you are an ABA or 3DAAA member and you can prove it" is how I read it.

But then they post here that trad archers don't need to present a card to shoot??

I myself haven't been to Gladstone for some years (mainly because they now allow non wood arrows) and thought this year I shall go as I've always enjoyed the shoot. Then the flyer is published, I see the statement above and think Oh Oh. . . no I won't go and I change my plans accordingly.

And then now a post to say No, you don't need a card. It's a 5 hour drive for me and I sure as hell am not going to drive that distance to be told when I arrive. . . "the flyer is clear - no card no shoot".

Do clubs think about this stuff and check the detail before they publish the flyer?

Is it any wonder there is confusion and trad archers just find somewhere else to shoot?

And as a result attendances at some shoots just continue to fall?

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#18 Post by Outbackdad » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:01 am

Hi Tom

I rang Gladstone yesterday, hence the update on there flyer. Yes we are all welcome and will be able to shoot so please come it will be a great week end.

Eddie
Zan wrote:“Just want to clear up the confusion re: ABA or 3DAAA cards......
We are trying to encourage cross participation between ABA and 3DAAA however,
The Muster is a Trad shoot for all Trad shooters and everyone is welcome (card or not).”

Glad to see this is open to all. Can I suggest an amendment to the flyer to reflect this. Unfortunately, over the last couple of years the number of Muster participants has declined and it would be a shame to alienate those who are not ABA or 3DAAA due to confusion.

temudjin

#19 Post by temudjin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Hey Eddie,

I'm heartened to see a couple of posts from Gladstone assuring us that all traddies are welcome and given I haven't seen you for a long while (do you feel special yet?) it's now back on my list. I hope to see you there.

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#20 Post by Outbackdad » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:34 pm

See you all there. ( I will have to have a drink with you Tom ) :orcs-cheers:

little arrows

#21 Post by little arrows » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 pm

updated Trad calendar as at 18/02/18

cheers
sue

ADDED WITH EDIT; I have deleted the calendar as two shoot dates no need to be confirmed as they have moved....... goodness me.

little arrows

#22 Post by little arrows » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:08 pm

there are still a couple of shoots that need to be confirmed - and I'm sure that will happen in due course. The Sunshine Coast Bowmen Traditional Knot shoot is being held Nov 18, as per their club calendar. If you have printed a previous version please check the details you have are the same for any shoot you may be thinking of attending.

the file was deleted with edit on 03/04/18 and is replaced as below

cheers
sue
Last edited by little arrows on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

little arrows

#23 Post by little arrows » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:04 pm

Now have confirmation from Silver City Archers at Broken Hill, and the Trad shoot is being held Sept 1 / 2.

cheers
sue

little arrows

#24 Post by little arrows » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Sunshine Coast Bowmen also have a couple of Trad Club days on their calendar that all are welcome to attend - June 3 and Aug 19
and the Dunolly Trad shoot is being held Aug 11 / 12 - no Alliance card required at either of these two Clubs.

This is the latest calendar as at 03/04/18 - please double check the dates of the shoots you wish to attend as some of them may have moved from the very original calendar printout.
Proposed TRAD 2018 as at 020418.pdf
(409.22 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
cheers
sue