Traditional archery new starters

Site-related comments, questions and feedback. Also some hints on how to register, post a graphic, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Fredsnephew

Traditional archery new starters

#1 Post by Fredsnephew » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi i'm new to traditional archery or any archery really i'm looking to buy a bow either re-curve take down or a long bow
the most info i know so far is i want a 50# to 55# 28 inch draw the length of the bow not so sure about so wondering for some tips on the most suitable when first starting out i'm
hoping to spent $250 to $300 i don't mind if its been used i figure once i get more experience i can spend more money be much appreciated for the help

Mitch.

P.S also wondering if there's a topic based solely for new starting on the forum thanks again.

little arrows

Re: Traditional archery new starters

#2 Post by little arrows » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:30 pm

G'day Mitch and welcome to ozbow.

You can't go wrong with a Samick (or similar) bow to commence your Traditional archery journey.
Couple of questions so we can guide you in the correct direction. How tall are you (this can make a difference with recurve length for draw comfort) and where are are you situated?

cheers
sue

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#3 Post by Outbackdad » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Mitch

Welcome to Ozbow.
There is lots of information on the site to help you and members with good advice as well.

Hope you enjoy the journey.

Eddie

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:38 pm

Welome to the site Mitch, have a look on the Trade Blanket here as there is a 52# T/D recurve for sale on it at your price range and its custom made.
Matt

DunnoNuthin

#5 Post by DunnoNuthin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:48 pm

Mitch,
I'm no expert myself having only gotten serious about archery in the last 12 months. But I can offer a few pointers while not leading you astray.

For cheap (I prefer 'great value') bows keep your eye on this forum. They don't come up every week, but now and then comes a great buy. They will be posted in the Trade Blanket forum. Go and have a look through the old posts for an idea of prices and availability.
Be careful of buying too heavy a bow first up, many experienced archers will stress this. Unless you have tried a bow in the weight range you mentioned, and know you can draw and hold it at anchor comfortably for at least 15 seconds without shaking etc. I think you may well find 50-55# is too heavy initially. And you will do yourself more harm than good (potentially physically and form wise). So you will want to consider a takedown recurve with lighter limbs. You can then upgrade to heavier limbs when your ready (or you might find a bargain with heavier limbs that you can get lighter ones for). The Samick Sage is a fine example of what you are looking for.

Mastering The Traditional Bow, under this sub forum you will find many tips and links to help get started shooting using the right form. Of course, if there is a club near you I'd recommend joining up. Find the right people to help you get started, have fun, expand your knowledge and fast track your learning.

Nige

Fredsnephew

#6 Post by Fredsnephew » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks Sue and Eddie for the kind welcome
to you Sue i'm 182 cm tall and i'm from Kurrajong in the hawkesbury region if your not sure where it is i usually tell people near Windsor thanks for the help
Mitch

Alex

#7 Post by Alex » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:17 pm

there's a Flatliner going on right now
You couldn't go wrong there...
Exactly the way you want it.

little arrows

#8 Post by little arrows » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:46 pm

You would be more than welcome at the Hawkesbury Field archers, a trad archery group who meet once a month and there would be many prepared to help you. (I've sent you a pm too).

cheers
sue

BowmanBjorn

#9 Post by BowmanBjorn » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:18 pm

yes the flatliner for sale in the for sale section is an absolute steal! a new replacement from rob is well over $900 and they are sweet shooting bows, this maybe your 1st and last trad bow :)
Centaur Triple carbon elite 2pce 60# @30"
Thunderstick MOAB 50# @30"
Flat line Raptor 45# @30"
Norseman Wrath 2pce 54# @30"
Norseman trilam ELB 104# @ 32"