Heavy poundage gloves

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Muz1970

Heavy poundage gloves

#1 Post by Muz1970 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:08 am

I've worn out my Martin Deerskin glove in 5 months with the leather splitting right in the joint where it anchors the the string. I can't complain to much as its probably had over 5000 shots in that time. My normal shooting poundage is 70lbs and I've ordered a heavier bow in the 80-85lb for the NT later this year.

So before I buy a couple more shooting gloves I thought I'd ask if any of you guys have any recommendations for a heavy poundage glove?

Cheers Muz

morganp

Re: Heavy poundage gloves

#2 Post by morganp » Wed May 28, 2014 8:54 am

Have you tried a tab or a ring? Some of them are really tough, teflon/plastic/layers of leather.

I don't have experience of such weights and the wear and tear but I do use kevlar gloves for when I am cutting/splitting wood. (Because I got a nasty infection from a splinter once, nearly lost a couple of fingers and became an instant wimp). I intend to wear them when shooting carbon for first time soon, another story.

Mine are not the heavy leather 'security guy' style but the lightweight material ones you see soldiers/spec forces wearing. They do have leather on palm and it is doubled on the fingers also. I can't promise anything as far as wear from bow strings goes - but they have lasted two years which is good as usually I go through 4 or 5 pairs of cheap leather garden gloves or a pair or two of rigger gloves a year. It was a couple of years back I got them so I don't have a link 'handy'.
These are mine.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7p3mmt8gerxmu ... .01.21.jpg

I notice you can now also get woven-mesh kevlar and heavy leather, cotton-lined, welders gloves (re-enactment in mind lol)with kevlar stitching, under $20, on Ebay I am ordering these to try.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KEVLAR-GLOVE ... 233ae0492a

- might be worth a good browse and for that money worth trying some variations? I don't know if you want/need hard wear or padding or both. The scuba gloves are neoprene with kevlar fingers/palm.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trks ... &_from=R40

Muz1970

#3 Post by Muz1970 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Hey Morgnup, Not really into finger tabs and have never tried a ring but from what i've seen they shoot from the opposite side of the bow. I've also used gloves, I don't mind the Martin Deerskin. Just expected it too last a bit longer.

Has anybody used the Big Shot cross over glove ???

dan76

#4 Post by dan76 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Hey mate, I have been shooting 80+ pound bows for years now using black widow tabs. In all honesty you don't want to shoot with anything too thick or hard wearing as you lose the feel of the shot. I expect to wear out tabs at least every 2 years sometimes less but they only cost about 25 bucks so who cares. So after all that my advise is if you like the martin deerskin then use it just by 2 and alternate them cause its hard to find something you like and are comfortable with.

Dan

hazard

#5 Post by hazard » Wed May 28, 2014 7:18 pm

dan76 wrote:Hey mate, I have been shooting 80+ pound bows for years now using black widow tabs. In all honesty you don't want to shoot with anything too thick or hard wearing as you lose the feel of the shot. I expect to wear out tabs at least every 2 years sometimes less but they only cost about 25 bucks so who cares. So after all that my advise is if you like the martin deerskin then use it just by 2 and alternate them cause its hard to find something you like and are comfortable with.

Dan
I cant fault this point of view. It is rock solid.
I shoot 80+ but make my own gloves. Too thick removes crucial feel for release and accuracy not to mention anchor.

$25-$45 if it lasts 5000 arrows, buy another 2 and don't look back. :wink:

Alternatively make your own. It is a bit fiddly but it will fit your fingers to perfection.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Muz1970

#6 Post by Muz1970 » Wed May 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Cheers guys, point taken...more than happy with the Deerskin glove as far as release / accuracy etc. Yet another online sale coming up..

Muz1970

#7 Post by Muz1970 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:31 am

Hey Dan, which of the Black Widow tabs do you use / recommend. Calf hair or Super leather? Doing a 3rivers order and thought I'd try one out.

Cheers Muz

dan76

#8 Post by dan76 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:36 pm

I have tried both and I think I will stick to the calf hair, that's what I am using at the moment and I like it. But honestly the difference is so small, I just prefer the way the string comes of the hair.

Dan

Rhino1

#9 Post by Rhino1 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:06 pm

I shot gloves exclusively for almost 20 years and it seems that I was either wearing them in or wearing them out, with a small window of how I wanted it.
I eventually swapped over to a tab (not willingly mind you) and found that a well made tab has more stable lifespan and has been a consistent shooter for longer.
I now make my tabs from the tough part of the too tail (fur on) with a nice chunk of buff leather and never looked back, I'm shooting 60-70 pound bows daily at the moment.
"As far as I can tell my place is right here, on the smart end of this rifle" H.Glass-Revenant.

matt61

#10 Post by matt61 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:20 am

Hi Muz
Have a look at the Big Shot gloves from Three Rivers. I have one but don't use it anymore as I shoot around fifty pounds and prefer to shoot Neet gloves.
They are not cheap and have heavy duty nylon stitched to the finger tips that makes for a slick release and should handle your draw weight
better.
Matt