Hunting "Mentors" for new bow hunters ?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Farmhand

Hunting "Mentors" for new bow hunters ?

#1 Post by Farmhand » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:18 am

Hi all, I have never bow hunted but am interested in hunting and fishing in general, I was wondering something regarding being a new Archer.

If I was to turn up to a few trad shoots at say Gladstone, and showed I am genuine. What would be the chances of being able to find a hunting "Mentor" or Mentors to help me get started ? Like as in someone to watch and partner on a trip, to get a feel on how to get a good shot and ethical kills on ferals/game. Some personal tips and hints ect.

I'm interested on peoples opinions on Mentoring/assisting new hunters for a hunt or two. Just an inquiry of sorts.

Regards
Andrew
First imagine it, then do it !

Bent Stick

Re: Hunting "Mentors" for new bow hunters ?

#2 Post by Bent Stick » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 am

Mate you'll be in the right crowd I expect though you'll need to maybe do a few shoots at Gladdy or get an invite to someone shoot etc. people are pretty open mate and if they like the way you think the opportunities will be there.

I'd recommend mate that you get into Gladdy ASAP they're a great crew and a fair few right into their hunting.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:00 am

Yeah, I agree with Bent. Take your time and once folk get to know you it wont be long before your included in talk of plans for a hunt. That's how it went for me years ago, anyway. :wink:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

AndyD

#4 Post by AndyD » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:18 am

Head to your local club.

I have introduced a number of people to sport, and taken many on their 1st hunt.
Made several very good friends and we now have a group of us who head out together and share properties.

Look for people that you like beyond the sport \ interest - you spend a lot of time with them in the bush ; lazy, over opinionated and "itchy trigger fingers" are some to avoid :lol:
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.