$1000 for a goat????

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Goatchaser

$1000 for a goat????

#1 Post by Goatchaser » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:57 am

Just heard about this on the Aus bowhunting forum, don't think I need to say too much. :shock:
http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/articl ... -news.html

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: $1000 for a goat????

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 am

Quite regularly when I see some of the decisions made by persons in government departments that old saying 'educated idiots' comes to mind and this is one of those times. :roll: :x

Jeff

Goatchaser

#3 Post by Goatchaser » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:43 am

I don't think educated needs to be added to the equation. :lol: Idiots will do. :wink:

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:52 am

That story was on the nightly news in Melbourne about six months ago.
Matt

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:23 am

:surprised: :shock: :roll:

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:44 am

Morning All.
HELICOPTERS will be used to shoot feral goats in two Victorian high country parks this week.

Parks Victoria has hired shooters from the NSW Parks and Wildlife Service to "clean up" 50-60 goats in a program estimated to cost about $1000 per goat.
So what would you charge? They are to be shot from the air and I would assume you must remove and dispose of the carcasses.

Start thinking in terms of the Helicopter Charter and I would again assume you need a Helicopter and Pilot that is authorised to conduct that sort of operation and sling operation authorised. Plus a shooter/carcass retrieval person.
Helicopter charter rates are generally between $700-$1000 per flight hour for smaller piston helicopters, $1200-2000 per hour for small turbine machines ...
I would strongly suggest that the cost of $1000 per goat may be cheap and under-priced.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Goatchaser

#7 Post by Goatchaser » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:51 pm

I'll do it for 900 a head then. :lol: on foot. getting paid for your hobby sounds good to me. :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:06 pm

GrahameA wrote:So what would you charge?
That is not the point Grahame. Why spend that sort of money when hunters would do it for free?

If the country is rugged and heavily timbered than the helicopter possibly won't be real successful as the goats will get in the timber and hide. It also makes it hard to shoot them and wounding is a high probability. Choppers are for close range open ground culling IMO.

Do you really think they will remove the carcasses? I've never heard of that before. In QLD I know personally of a culler who was not permitted to remove the carcasses of shot deer. They had to stay there and rot. :x

So, in light of the above I still see this program as being ridiculous and far from the best way of doing things.

Jeff

longbow steve

#9 Post by longbow steve » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:52 pm

The reference to the New Zealand firm in the article, they were paid a similar amount to cull goats earlier in the year because apparently no one in Australia was qualified to do the job :surprised: . It read like they were paid to go hunting as they shot a small percentage of the goats and a few pigs.
I am glad it is recieving media scrutiny as it lends merit to the defunct Game council recreational hunter scheme. Steve

longbowinfected

#10 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:58 pm

I know a number of licensed pest managers with appropriate training, experience and fire arms licences who could be used. They are not rare species.
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Bent Stick

#11 Post by Bent Stick » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Look hard look deep, in my experience the only difference between the emerging nations " not correct to call it 3rd world anymore" is the quality of the paperwork half our local state and national polices have law degrees, knowing how to keep it legal know matter how corrupt is something our polices are magnificent at.

Just my opinion on what I've experienced due hard part supoorters can meet me out the front for a tap dance, if I'm not there in five start without me and let me know it turns out.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Nephew

#12 Post by Nephew » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Bent Stick wrote:
Just my opinion on what I've experienced due hard part supoorters can meet me out the front for a tap dance, if I'm not there in five start without me and let me know it turns out.
:lol: :lol: :biggrin:
The policy seems silly to me, but what would I know about the administration of power? :confused: :wink: :smile:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:05 am

Hi Craig.
Nephew wrote: .... The policy seems silly to me, but what would I know about the administration of power? :confused: :wink: :smile:
What Policy??

The article refers to:
"The pilot operation aims to reduce goat populations that have escaped previous control efforts."
From my viewpoint the whole thing looks like a "Media beat-up". Long on rhetoric and innuendo yet short on facts.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Axe

#14 Post by Axe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:49 pm

At the risk of offending...GrahameA may I suggest a political career may suit you down to the ground, there must be a niche in some unnecessary dept. somewhere that needs help with these kinds of senseless and costly decisions
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"

rodlonq

#15 Post by rodlonq » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:27 am

I must be blind, I cant see the referenced article.

I did read the one where goats are getting 400c/kg on the hook. There is an incentive for cockies to turn away hunters. That is better than what they get for cattle and it takes less effort to produce goats apparently.

Cheers... Rod