Unwelcome visitor

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

dawallace45

Unwelcome visitor

#1 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:23 am

Has a unwelcome visitor in the shape of a snake high up on my front security door yesterday , not sure what sort it was , hope some one here could shed some light as I think it may still be in my ride on mower and I want to use it , unfortunately I don't have a picture

Snake was just just over a metre in length , just short of 4 foot , and slender , it had a large eye and a small head , a sort of dark khaki brown but slightly mottled and banded across the mid section like a rough scale and a creamy white on the belly , my first impression is a whip snake but I've not seen one as long before

Any ideas ?

I knocked it off the security door with a very long broom and then knocked it off the veranda but it then went off and under and into the mower , now know that most times it would have gone off a few hours later or if not then later when it got dark but I've had the same thing happen to me in the past and two day after have been mowing only to have a brown snake come out of the height control slot beside me , I can tell you now a ejector seat wouldn't have got me off that mower any faster

David

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Unwelcome visitor

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:58 am

dawallace45 wrote:I can tell you now a ejector seat wouldn't have got me off that mower any faster
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No idea what type of snake it was David but being on top of your security door one would think it was more likely to be a tree snake or similar???

Jeff

Roadie

#3 Post by Roadie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:04 pm

I wouldn't swear to it, but Eastern Brown, you don,t have Tiger's (snakes) up your way do you Just be carefull. Cheers Roadie.

dawallace45

#4 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Well most snakes can climb , and the security door is a easy climb , hell we used to have a 8 ft eastern brown that hunted rats in the rafters of the pistol club building at Clermont

We do get a lot of Eastern Brows here but as I've only ever seen big ones I really wouldn't recognize a smaller younger one , it didn't appear to me to be a tree snake , we also get whip snakes , Taipans , Red Belly Blacks , and Rough Scales around here , and we also have the Eastern Tiger snake here too , I had one on the veranda some time back , this snake this time was too skinny to be a rough scale and the head was too small , also the head was too small for a brown tree snake , local feller reckons that the Eastern Browns and coastal taipans around here tend to be slender when young ,

I don't know enough about them to know if that is true , what I do know is that it's often hard to tell the eastern Brown and Taipans apart when they are older , I've had yellow faced Whip snakes around here and this one sort of reminded me of them except the colour around the head was wrong , my first thought was Whip snake followed by Eastern Brown and then Coastal Taipan , local feller around here that has a interest in snakes seems to think it was probably a young Taipan from my description but I certainly hope he's wrong

David

looseplucker

#5 Post by looseplucker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:06 pm

I think you need a better door.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

AndyD

#6 Post by AndyD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Anything like this:

Thats a juvenile eastern brown from wikipedia
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Jeffro

#7 Post by Jeffro » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:35 pm

I think maybe a green tree snake-some of them are khaki and even brown,was it super fast?

dawallace45

#8 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Andy

Banding is pretty much the same but colour is lighter and the head was the same colour as the body , like I said a sort of dark khaki but snakes have different coloration depending on area so colour is hard to go by , if the colour was right I'd say it would be pretty close

John

Snake couldn't get in past the security door , just climbed it

I run the mower [ with out me on it ] for about a half hour this afternoon , hopefully if it were still there it's gone now

I don't know what the fascination snakes have with my veranda unless it's the frogs , my verandas are tiled and kept clean all the time , the grass is trimmed and there is no rubbish or gardens around although the bush starts 50 metres over , I do in fact know what know what this snake was after , the bastard ate my albino frog that lived above the door , but this is about the 9 th snake in the last 12 months on the veranda ,

The snakes aren't up holding there end of the deal , they keep away from the house and they don't have terminal accidents

David

dawallace45

#9 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Jeffro

I know green tree snakes and this wasn't one and I haven't seen one yet that didn't have a yellow under belly , this one had a creamy white underbelly

Had a Green tree snake in the green house about 6 months ago

David

jonow

#10 Post by jonow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 am

we live in a very snakey area too.
have you ever looked into the "snake sentinels" - solar powered snake repeller?
We don't have any but toy with the idea every so often when i have a king brown hiding in my office.

Jono
"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them" Psalm 127

dawallace45

#11 Post by dawallace45 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Jono

No haven't looked into snake sentinels but will do in the near future , mainly we just make sure that there isn't much to attract the snakes and we also put naphthalene in the storage area of the shed to repel them

David

Slackshot

#12 Post by Slackshot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:02 pm

All eastern brown snakes,you can tell right away.Thats if you can see the underbelly have spots on the underbelly,random no two the same.The night tiger or brown tree snake has a very pinkish tinge to the underbelly(in my area). Hope that helps,,,oh and the baby brown will kill you just the same :surprised:
Slackshot aka Gary Case

dawallace45

#13 Post by dawallace45 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Garry

Only saw about 6 inches of the under side from the head , and it was creamy white but I didn't see any spots but then again on most of the large browns I've seen the spots didn't start until further down the body

Possibly won't ever know for sure what it was , some here seem to lean to the eastern brown but most of my neighbors seem to think a small coastal taipan , I really don't know and think it may still be some sort of whip snake but most of the snake enthusiasts around here don't think so , all I know is that if it shows up on the veranda again it will be a ex-snake

David

hazard

#14 Post by hazard » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:30 pm

dawallace45 wrote:all I know is that if it shows up on the veranda again it will be a ex-snake
Family safety comes first regardless of the cost , no matter how much I respect these amazing creatures :wink:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au