Sticke and Stringe Shoote, Weston V Archers, ACT

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

longbowinfected

Sticke and Stringe Shoote, Weston V Archers, ACT

#1 Post by longbowinfected » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:38 pm

Great little inaugral target shoot yesterday at Weston Valley Archers, an AA club in the ACT.
Nice change of pace.
Great hospitality.
Longbows and ELBs target, short Canberra which is 30 arrows at each distance on a 122 cm full face. Distances were 50 metres, 40 metres, 30 metres.

A number of regulars here including Simon Bain and Al in Oz were joined by a mix of AA shooters and Re enactors. Costume welcome but not absolutely required. Young Simon cut a dashing Victorian era figure in gaiters and top hat.

Very quiet on the line with only the sound of silent strings, some prayers and the odd challenge wrt the ancestry of fellow combatants, whoops, competitors. Lollies on offer for hit the gold challenges, prizes for best outfits [male and female], prizes for winners [generous vouchers for dinner for two].

Love to see more people next year / next time.
Thank you Weston.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Brumbies Country

Re: Sticke and Stringe Shoote, Weston V Archers, ACT

#2 Post by Brumbies Country » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Great to see you there Kevin and I take my hat off to you travelling down from the Blue Mountains :lol: . I reckon it's the first attempt at a traditional shoot in the ACT while I have been shooting and a great initiative on the part of WVAC. Would liked to have seen a better turnout but having to cancel it the weekend before and then reschedule may have affected the numbers.

Thought your outfit was really good and hard to beat with short sword inclusion and the authentic drinking flask, obviously filled with good shooting potion, gathering by the way you cleaned up the field :lol: .

Simon

longbowinfected

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:59 pm

My hat goes off to Weston for taking a punt....it will grow.
It was good to see some more ELBs...they were quite nice bows.
I think they and their keepers had a good outing.

Richard and I had a very tight tussle at the last two distances....only a couple of points in it.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

alaninoz

#4 Post by alaninoz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Again, well done by WVA, especially after the wash-out the previous weekend. A good time was had by all. Thanks to Kev for making the journey - twice! First time I'd shot at an AA club in years. Shooting all those arrows is a good way to get your eye in.
Alan

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:26 am

Morning All.

Photos. Were are the Photos.....
longbowinfected wrote:Young Simon cut a dashing Victorian era figure in gaiters and top hat.
Good grief. I would say that Horace would have something to say about the Top Hat. Hang on, I think he may already have...
There is one thing, however, connected with Robin, that I do feel quite confident about, and that is, that he did not wear an ordinary modern black or white hat. He was by far too sensible a fellow, depend upon it, to use a head-covering, at all times sufficiently tight and uncomfortable, but especially so when the wearer is more than usually exposed to heat and sun, as the Archer is. Fancy this bold outlaw in a white four-and-nine! Alexander the Great in an umbrella, Socrates in Hessian boots, might be parallel cases!

Besides, Robin knew too well, that anything likely to impede the correct action of the string—as the brim of a modern hat very often does—would effectually prevent the indulgence of his willow-wand and nock-splitting propensities. Therefore, he doubtless avoided anything of the kind. I commend these reflections to one or two of the societies of the present day.
Good Morning Simon :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 am

Oh, we were so busy having fun that we forgot to ake photos......actually I have one in my camera of me dressed up sans chapeau but with longsword, short sword, axe bow and quiver as well as an authentic looking leather water bottle.

The club president promised to take a few and mail them on.

halfway through a photographer from the general public wandered over and politely asked permission to take images and send them on. He could not believe his luck. As weston shoot in a public park it is almost impossible to deny such a request notwithstanding the current new AA photography policy [sorry to rebirth that as a possible discussion]. After all it was a local "novelty" tournament.

Eventually there will be pix but probably arriving via the pigeons we borrowed from Mike at Mt Petrie.....on a lesser diet.

Kev

Brumbies Country

#7 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am

Morning Grahame

Horace had a very good point. I found the brim of the top hat did contact my Elb string and had to tip it back to what might be best decribed as a rakish angle :roll: . The cap/hat he wears in your avatur is a much more sensible proposition.

Simon

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:23 am

Morning Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:As weston shoot in a public park it is almost impossible to deny such a request notwithstanding the current new AA photography policy [sorry to rebirth that as a possible discussion].
AA and its wonderful Photo Policy - I am certain that such an organisation would have all such areas covered along with necessary systems, protocols, procedures and forms. (They would at least have read the requirements for Quality Certification and ensured that they had followed such as guidelines in the preparation of their documentation.) My limited experience with such has convinced me that no only do Pigs Fly but they also drive cars and sail boats but also operate Locomotives. It used to be bandied around that the greatest/biggest lie was, "the Cheque is in the mail". These days I tend to think more along the lines of, "Hello, I am from Head Office and I am here to help you". Would Target Archers see their Head Office as AA? Let us not visit that topic again unless it full of good news. :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.