Archery at Ironfest

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Re: Archery at Ironfest

#31 Post by GrahameA » Wed May 05, 2010 6:42 am

Morning Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:Early days yet but talking to Steve today and we discussed trying to run a separate [to the side] tournament for all re enactors and our people. We actually miss out on a club shoot the Ironfest weekend. Be for bare club recurves, modern longbows, asiatics, and ELBs/selfbows with timber arrows probably re-using the popular Sticke and Stringe Shoote name. Say 30 arrows at a big face at 40m, 30m, 20m. Probably start it at 3:00 ish or a bit later say on the Saturday just before closing time.
Great way to foster good relations between all the groups interested in archery working there
If those are the distances you want to shoot and that is the bow selection then run an IKAC and use the SCA Rules. That will give an event that is biased neither towards target or Hunting and you will have two divisions. Plus it is familiar to lots of re-enactors.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#32 Post by longbowinfected » Wed May 05, 2010 11:03 am

Thanks Grahame.
I read all that info that you directed me towards.
That was the basis of my approach.
Most of these re-enactors are not SCA but independent and are quick to point it out.
I was just a bit concerned about calling it /doing it their way without being SCA and geting it wrong/getting up someone's nose.
Every couple of years the different groups have said yeah join in lets have a a tournament with this year looking like it will happen. I am sick of waiting.

Perhaps the Ironfest organizers might like to have this for the spectators but that is not really my plan as I do not think the public have the patience to watch a 90 arrow shoot. I would still refer it to them so that they are in the loop. much easier to make it an extra away club shoot and sign all renactors on as temporary members to ensure weare fully covered.

As I said early days.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#33 Post by GrahameA » Wed May 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi Kevin.

IMHO.

90 arrows is to many. I would not go past 60. Most people will struggle at even that.

If you want something target based try a half junior canberra and use 5 ring scoring or something similar. Will talk when you are up here. Perhaps a half old Imperial Round may do the job.
Last edited by GrahameA on Thu May 06, 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#34 Post by longbowinfected » Wed May 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Sounds about right to me.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.