Leongatha's big annual archery comp, 18th April

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

hue

Re: Leongatha's big annual archery comp, 18th April

#31 Post by hue » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:43 pm

that's the stuff Lads.
you've just fed my habit :D !
i thought that Timbow wasn't going to this shoot, playing rabbit again, hey Tim?
Hey Mick, any of that stuff we spoke about come into play? certainly sounds like it!
fantastic day by the look of it and doesn't Libby come up a treat in photos'

Hue
I can only be who I am

kerrille

#32 Post by kerrille » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:56 pm

great photo's guy's wish i hadda been there, one day :D

nev
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Mick Smith

#33 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Hey Hue, Timbow suckered the other contestants by letting them believe he wasn't coming to the shoot and then he pulls the ace out of his sleeve by shooting like a machine and then wins the modern trad men's first prize. How's that for cunning? :D

After shooting with you at the recent Indoor Safari and the discussions that we had regarding form and faults, etc, I have been focussing entirely on form in my practice and it seems to have paid off to a certain extent. Now, if I can just keep on top of that blasted target panic ....

Nev, you are sorely missed at these shoots. Things aren't the same without you. When's our next shoot? Dunolly?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

timbow

#34 Post by timbow » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Yes well the others must have shot pretty bad for me to win on the week end.
Every shot felt really crappy and after the clout l was pretty sore and ready to go! :(
But l kept on :D
Be good to see the scores.
See you at the next shoot Huey

dmm

#35 Post by dmm » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:31 am

That does look like it was a lot of fun for all involved.
I hope it an annual thing, I'd like to participate next time.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

aroadik

#36 Post by aroadik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:14 am

A great shoot, best I have been to for a long time, we even had a "hustler" seriously, congrats Timbow ! Many thanks to all involved with the running, not an easy task, but well done guys'n'gals. cheers Pete. ( on the road ) p.s. met some great people also.

stringnstik

#37 Post by stringnstik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:11 am

Mick Smith wrote:Mark, I heard on the grapevine that the toad was lent to Len for the shoot on the proviso that it didn't get beaten up and shot up too much, so Len placed out at 30 metres thinking that nobody would be able to hit it. :D
well between that and those rats..crikey how on earth ya supposed to hit them! ohh that right Jamie did :)
I really liked some of the ideas they came up with at this shoot. I particularly liked the 3 rabbit shot, where you had the choice of shooting a close bunny for 5 points, a medium distance bunny for 8 points and a long range bunny for 10 points. All you had to do was hit them anywhere. I went for the long shot both times and missed both times. :D But ... not by much. 8)

I was truly a fun day.

Mick
Yeah i thought id go safe for the 8. I literally pushd the bunny up as my arra slipped under its foot and the second shot was a wash.
I love the 2 arra approach as well, gives those of us who dont shoot often more time on the string and that psychological battle.
I also love having the clout and then 3d. Forces you to learn to switch modes.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

Len

#38 Post by Len » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:12 am

G'day all, glad you enjoyed yourselves. I would like to thank everyone for coming and our Geelong crew for bringing their targets so we could do a 20 target course.
A big thanks also to Gav of Wildwood Archery for doing donating the raffle which was a great fund raiser and it now looks like we will be able to offer flying disk ( is that what its called ? ) shooting in the near future as well as being able to get at least one more 3D target with the money made on the day .
The score sheets got packed into a couple of cars but as soon as i get them back I'll post some scores up.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Mick Smith

#39 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:52 am

Stringnstik,

I think the 'Lilydale' rules, where you get to shoot a max of 2 arrows per target (but only the last one scores) are great too. It gives us up to twice the number of shots and it allows you to slightly compensate if you happen to miss the first one. It's also great to be able to poke muck at your mates when they greedily chase extra points on their second shot, only to miss altogether. :D

I like it when people reshape the rules slightly, resulting in us extracting more fun from what is already a heap of fun. :D

Len,

I believe the correct name is 'bow birds', but we often call it 'aerial disks' or just a plain old 'flu-flu shoot'. :)

Bringing the targets over from Geelong was no hassle, in fact I was constantly amused by the reaction of fellow motorists to the crocodile straped to the roof of my car. We even had people driving along side taking photos of us.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Len

#40 Post by Len » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Well its great we all had such a good time at Mossvale Sunday as its looking like the last time we can hold an event there. We've been told by the shire that Mossvale is now a passive park which means no activities to take place. I suspect they have declared Mossvale a passive park as an excuse to get us off. What a shame, we brought a lot of fun for a lot of people out there and now one person wants to get rid of us and looks like getting their way :evil:
Hmmmmmmm.............

timbow

#41 Post by timbow » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Len that is a real shame thats as close as we will get to an english forest with the elms and oaks, l love going there and shooting. :(
That 3d course you guys set out was unreal and probally one of the best thought out coursers l have shot.
well done LMS.

White Hawk

#42 Post by White Hawk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:40 pm

that is devastating news Len. Are the shire aware that your events bring money into the place? I know several people who stayed over, ate out in town and all that puts money into the local economy. LMS has put Leongatha on the map for many of us archers. Can this be appealed? And how can one persons opinion be the ends of such a great clubs ground? That spot is just to damn good to let go... :cry:
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Mick Smith

#43 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:38 pm

If that's the case Len, it truly is a pity. Mossvale Park is such a beautiful location. It's unique, with its huge exotic trees and rolling lawns. I would certainly miss our shoots there.

Hopefully the local council will come to their senses and reverse the decision.

Mick

hue

#44 Post by hue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:55 pm

well. having seen what the local council did to the huge exotic willows out there, in the name of "australiana" wouldn't surprise me if there was a "green tinge" to this. a lot of councils are being infiltrated by greens under the guise of independants and we are archers - the enemy - for whatever agenda they set in their latte groups!
mores the pity, absolutely beautiful area which will go to waste!

Hue
I can only be who I am

Stephen Georgiou

#45 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:36 am

Sad news len.
What is it about shires and councils.
They spend a fortune on the park and then want to make it passive?
Does this mean that there will be no more music festivals or concerts as well? what a stupid idea.
Len, thanks to you and LMS for a wonderful couple of years and I hope that through some fluke the council rethinks their ideas.

aroadik

#46 Post by aroadik » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:23 am

Sad news, Len, I feel fortunate to have experienced / shot at such a beautiful venue and met a nice bunch of like minded people. Good luck ! cheers Pete.

hardgainer

#47 Post by hardgainer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:14 am

Truly a sad development it is such a great venue. But no suprise to those that read the copy of Ben Kleinig's letter from the Minister of Police WA published in Primitive Archer April/May. You can see the agenda's starting to roll.

stringnstik

#48 Post by stringnstik » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 am

Very sad to hear this Len, I know its been a fight for a while now. We make very little impact on that park and as other have said bring a lot into the shire because of the meets. It is a beautiful place to shoot. Once again some boring nutter sitting in front of a computer screen shuffling papers and drinking latte (loved that quip hue:) gets to taint the lives of hundreds of people.
"twang....thud"

wolfpac

#49 Post by wolfpac » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:58 pm

sad news, fantastic place for a shoot, even the good lady wife love's going to this shoot :(
I don't have a snappy catch phrase ......

Antonio

#50 Post by Antonio » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:45 pm

I never been to Mossvale Park but I all ways wanted to go there .

hardgainer

#51 Post by hardgainer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 pm

What a week.....Mossvale cops it and now my beloved Mebourne Storm. I am going to check every nock on my self'd Tonkin boo arra's. :cry: :cry:

stringnstik

#52 Post by stringnstik » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:58 am

I dont think Rhys visits here so here is the link to his photos for you all to peruse
http://www.lms.asn.au/gallery/main.php? ... &g2_page=1

Many thanks Rhys,
"twang....thud"

aroadik

#53 Post by aroadik » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:16 pm

Hey, Len, are you going to post the scores ? would be great if you could. cheers Pete.

morgan

#54 Post by morgan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:12 pm

hardgainer wrote:What a week.....Mossvale cops it and now my beloved Mebourne Storm. I am going to check every nock on my self'd Tonkin boo arra's. :cry: :cry:
Worry not. The storm will rise again and if you squint really hard LMS can see a possible silver lining in the distance..
Stay tuned
"What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived".

Lochmoy

#55 Post by Lochmoy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:53 am

Now Hue, don't blame greens for everything. It's to do with the definition of what's "passive". There is no necessary connection between clearing of the exotics and a "passive" park. I think you are drawing a long bow here. If it's because people winge, it's not just greens who winge.
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference