INDOOR SAFARI EVENT!

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

White Hawk

INDOOR SAFARI EVENT!

#1 Post by White Hawk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:01 am

Hi folks,

attached is a flyer for a brand new concept in traditional shoots! The Indoor Safari! Yes that right an indoor field round. I test shot it with the help of ozbows very own Mick Smith, our resident bunny buster and he has given it the tick of approval. I decided to tweak indoor rounds just like we tweaked clout with Mick's idea for battle clout. It keep things fresh and interesting whilst at the same time honing the distance estimating skills required in unmarked field and paper animal rounds... and we reckon it is alot of fun. That's all I'm saying about it the rest will be a surprise when you get there.

It is being hosted by Melbourne's newest indoor archery range Arrows Plus, in combination with Wildwood Traditional Archery. The details of the address etc are on the flyer for you. Numbers are limited due to space in the range so you must register for this event by emailing or calling Arrow plus. There contact details are on the flyer.

It would be great to see the Melbourne traditional archery community (Lilydale ABA, Werribee ABA, Black Griffins, LMS, Yarra Bowmen etc) get behind this fun event as it is the tip of the iceberg, we have loads more ideas on where this can go as an event...

Hope to see you there.

cheers
Gav
Attachments
INDOOR10a.pdf
(90.81 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Mick Smith

Re: INDOOR SAFARI EVENT!

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:07 pm

I think you're onto something here Gav. It's certainly heaps more fun than just punching holes in targets at 18 metres.

This event would appeal to anyone who likes 3D events, or it would be great practice for hunting, as it demands the ability to hit targets from very close, right out to 18 metres.

I can see this series of shoots continuing on into the winter months, where we can shoot comfortably indoors, or even at night time. It's very conveniently located for all metropolitan archers.

So come on fellas, come and check it out for yourself. :wink: I guarantee you will enjoy it.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

White Hawk

#3 Post by White Hawk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi All,
just a reminder that entries need to be pre-registered for this one, places are filling so please if you are thinking about coming along, give Arrows Plus a call or email (details are on the flyer) and give them your name, bow type for the event.

cheers

Gav

Leslie

#4 Post by Leslie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Just a reminder

Leslie

#5 Post by Leslie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:04 am

Target Butts and Faces have arrived - :D

Target Faces look really good.

Abaci

#6 Post by Abaci » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:56 pm

I'd like to go... but have too many things on that day unfortunatly.

Next time perhaps.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

White Hawk

#7 Post by White Hawk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 am

Hi all,
only a week to go for this new event on the traditional calendar, so if you are thinking of coming along please call Arrows plus and register your attendance. This will be a great event to hone your distance gauging skill for unmarked field and 3D rounds and will be a whole new way to go about indoor archery. Curious? well come on down and check it out.

see you there

cheers

Gav

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:48 pm

So, who's coming along to this event this Saturday morning?

I don't have much to do with the organisation of it. I did shoot a trial of this event with Gav, to see how long it would take, etc. I must say, it was a lot more fun than I expected. It makes indoor shoots much more fun than just punching holes into FITA targets at 18 metres, as you must be able to shoot at unknown distances, plus you must pick a spot on a full colour animal target.

The venue at Arrows Plus is great too and it's so quick and easy to get to.

I'm really looking forward to it. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Leslie

#9 Post by Leslie » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:25 am

Some Pictures before the shoot 8)
Attachments
DSCF2194.JPG
DSCF2194.JPG (89.2 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
DSCF2187.JPG
DSCF2187.JPG (80.91 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
Black Grifiins Arrow advert
Black Grifiins Arrow advert
DSCF2189.JPG (90.27 KiB) Viewed 5299 times

Leslie

#10 Post by Leslie » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:49 am

Half Way Scores!

Gavin - 359 - Men's Traditional

Geoff - 331 - Men's Traditional

Hue - 272 - Men's Traditional

Mick - 229 - Men's Traditional

Leigh - 224 - Men's Traditional

Danielle - 225 - Woman's Traditional

Libby - 210 - Woman's Traditional

Emma - 169 - Woman's Historical

Leslie

#11 Post by Leslie » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Final Scores - a great time had by all.

Traditional Male Gavin Downs 359 363 722
Traditional Male Geoff Blake 331 354 685
Traditional Male Hue Wanner 272 294 566
Traditional Male Mick Smith 229 242 471
Traditional Male Leigh Adamson 224 228 452
Traditional Female Danielle Barnham 225 252 477
Traditional Female Libby Simon 210 211 421
Historical Female Emmaleen Sherrin 169 178 347

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:38 pm

What a good shoot it was! Thanks Arrows Plus for providing us with your facilities making the day possible. 8)

All the people who attended thoroughly enjoyed themselves and I'm sure they will be back next time. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

The event was much like a field event, but without much of the walking. The name of the game was allowing for the unknown and varying distances. Even though I shot rather poorly and broke 4 arrows, it was still a heap of fun. :D

Mick

hue

#13 Post by hue » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:59 pm

yeah

huge thank you to Arrows Plus, for staging this unique tournament!
i had the best time! it was very challenging and very tiring.
would do it again at the drop of a hat.
TonyJ, get your a..e into gear and make sure the Lilydale mob come on board next time :D

Hue
I can only be who I am

White Hawk

#14 Post by White Hawk » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Well that was a great days shooting, and challenging to boot, so much more to it than standard indoor rounds. A great way to train the skill set of distance judgement on an unmarked course in preparation for outdoor field and 3D. I was well pleased with how it all came off, ran smoothly and paced well, and was exciting to shoot such varying distances in an indoor format. The high platform shooting was brilliant! AND we all did pretty well of that tough shot which was the equivalent of a steep down hill shot.

Thank you to Arrows Plus for a) hosting the event, b) for being open minded to new ways to play old games, and c) for feeding us all as well.
Brewed coffee and home cooked muffins on arrival was inspired!

Thanks to everyone who attended I hope you got some good practice in and enjoyed yourselves. We hope to host the next one in a couple of month when the bad winter weather sets in and there are not too many outdoor rounds happening, be great to see a few more faces trying out this new format.

cheers
Gav

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:36 am

I believe that everyone involved in the organising of this event would be only too happy to organise more similiar events into the future. I also believe that with Victoria's cold and miserable winter coming, events such as this could well be the answer to being able to practice good challenging archery on those short, cold and wet days of winter. The venue is about as central as is possible for most Victorian archers.

I would like to see more people come forward to attend shoots such as this. It was a true test of one's skills and it's also great practice. The people at Arrows Plus are wonderful. The value for money that we received was unbelievable. For a shooting fee of just $20 we got to shoot for over 4 hours in great comfort. Competitors also received a free cooked lunch, not to mention the prizes for the placegetters.

As I've said previously, I'm not personally involved in the organising of these events. I don't have any vested interests what so ever. However, I do want to see events such as this patronised. The people involved in organising these events have the positive future of archery as their primary goal. We should support them!

Mick

Leslie

#16 Post by Leslie » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Next one is being planned - will post details on Thursday

:D :D :D :D

Mick Smith

#17 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Excellent!!! 8) I was only thinking about this very subject today.

Now, I'd like to see more competitors at this next event. It's a true test of your 3D skills, but with the comfort of being indoors. Not so much walking either. :D

You really ought to try to make these indoor events. They're so much fun, you will be back for more, I guarantee it.

Mick
Last edited by Mick Smith on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hue

#18 Post by hue » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Excellent Leslie
if it's not in June, I'm there mate!

Hue
I can only be who I am

Leslie

#19 Post by Leslie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:25 am

Any suggestions are welcome!

Those that have attended, there might be something you thought would work, please let us know and we will try to accommodate it in the event.

Mick Smith

#20 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:48 pm

Hey Leslie,

Which Thursday did you mean, when you spoke of making an announcement? :D

Mick

Leslie

#21 Post by Leslie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Hi Mick!

We have had our meeting and it is a go ahead, Gavin is looking at the calendar to see which dates we can settle on to have the shoots, some new ideas have come forward. So when we have agreed on the date we will post the information.

Thanks for asking

Les