3D Trad Event Lilydale Bowmen

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

hardgainer

Re: 3D Trad Event Lilydale Bowmen

#31 Post by hardgainer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Great news this day...Clark the demonic course setter is in action for the 2xday trad shoot. Dewi confirms that over the 2 days there will be many course changes :shock: :shock: Rumours suggest that there will be efforts to noble "Gav and the Whip" :lol: through mass slurrping of Richards Pinot and Heinekin kegs saturday night. There is a muttering by past Lilydale recurvers and born again longbowers that we will give these Trad boys a good rectal kick. "Yeh bring it on" :lol:

hue

#32 Post by hue » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:08 pm

i'll be getting there friday night so look forward to seeing you reprebates then.
can't wait! so the "Red" will be flowing hey, if i remember correctly, there's a couple of bottles of "hooch" coming my way and this time, the white chook isn't getting them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hue, the thirsty.
I can only be who I am

Roadie

#33 Post by Roadie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi Hue, coming down and will be there friday arvo,have intow a bottle of Mango Moonshine, plus Port. one or two bottles of red and my favourite Malt whisky. whose is cooking tea Friday night. Do I need to bring the Keg. Cheers Roadie.

hue

#34 Post by hue » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:38 pm

don't know whose doing what Grant, but it will be a hoot finding out! :)

Hue
I can only be who I am

Dewi

Reminder, its this weekend

#35 Post by Dewi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:05 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would like to give you all a heads up about a visit and some seminars that very well known American bowhunter, Dave Holt, will be having when he visits our shores. Dave is the author of what has been considered some of the best bowhunting books ever written, Balanced Bowhunting I and II. He will be travelling around the country hunting and doing seminars in most major cities. He will be at the following venues on the said dates and times.

There will be a seminar at the Lillydale Bowmen club from around 4pm on the on the 12th of September.

This will be during the big trad shoot that they will be having on that weekend so it should be a top weekend all round. Contacts for more info are Clarke Johnson on 0400 590 012 and Damien Mitchell on 0411 240 013.
Dave Holt and High Country Publishers, Inc
proudly presents
Balanced Bowhunting II

Read what three of the nation’s most respected
Bowhunters say about Balanced Bowhunting II:

"Balanced Bowhunting II is the perfect edition to your bowhunting library. The technical insights and product updates are superb. Dave Holt has hit another home run!"- Chuck Adams

"Dave Holt is one of a kind, a blend of elite bowhunter, archery techie, psychologist and common sense philosopher. Dave has spent his career scientifically searching for the answers to archery's most difficult questions. In Balanced Bowhunting II he is at the top of his form. He brings his knowledge to the reader in a straightforward, easy to understand format that leads a beginning bowhunter gently past the pitfalls that took most of us years to muddle our way through. Yet the book is bound to enlighten even the most knowledgeable bowhunter. This book merits shelf space in any bowhunter's library."- Dr Randy Ulmer

“Dave Holt is not only one of the most experienced and consistently successful bowhunters I've ever met, he's a walking encyclopaedia of technical bowhunting knowledge. moreover, Dave possesses the unique ability to explain complicated terms and procedures in words that anyone can understand. That gift- and Dave's willingness to share his considerable wisdom- is what makes Balanced Bowhunting II so special. Here's a book chock full of facts and helpful information. It's must reading for anyone serious about bowhunting and interested in keeping tabs on the latest equipment advances and proven hunting techniques."- M.R James, Founder/Editor emeritus Bowhunter magazine

There are also some words from current Bowhunter editor Dwight Schue.

Dave Holt Biography

Dave Holt grew up hunting and trapping near Sharon, Pennsylvania. At age eight, he entered the field of competitive archery and competed through his teenage years in hundreds of tournaments. He took first place in his class in all but five of these many competitions. He began bowhunting at age 10, taking his first whitetail at age 14.

A lifelong bowhunting perfectionist, Dave has devoted years improving equipment and analysing the skills necessary to provide bowhunters a greater chance for success. With over 50 years of competitive archery, bowhunting, product design, coaching and testing experience, he is one of the worlds’ most respected technical archery writers. Most of all, he consistently proves that a solid understanding of bowhunting equipment is a huge advantage in the field. He has a tremendous desire to assist and educate other bowhunters—believing that education is the key to the preservation of bowhunting.

Each year Dave spends several months bowhunting. This time is divided between Africa and North America. These adventures give him plenty of opportunities to test new hunting methods and check his laboratory research under hunting conditions. The successes of those who have learned from him are testimony to his understanding of the sport. Dave is the former “Technical Editor” for Bowhunter magazine. He presents bowhunting and bow shooting seminars worldwide. Respected archery guru Norb Mullaney has proclaimed Dave’s latest book, Balanced Bowhunting II, “the most authoritative archery book ever written”.

Stephen Georgiou

#36 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:26 am

been waiting for this one :D
Not been well of late but I'm not dead so I will be there :D :D
Camping Friday night leaving early Monday as I am flying out to the US for work again. They wanted me to travel earlier but I postponed my trip so I can attend this one. Apologies to the club for not being involved in the setup.. Always next year :)
Thanks again to a great committee. You people have been providing fantastic support to the club and have always made people feel welcome. Couldn't ask for a better club.
SG

stringnstik

#37 Post by stringnstik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:53 am

ok so its a moonshine showdown is it!! good on ya Roadie, about time someone else came in excellent spirit,,, hmm will have to see what I can come up with. Last time Nev took on my poison he shot twice as well the next day so best keep it clear of White Chook if hes to be nobbled this year. Hue cant ya drop one of your snakes into his quiver??

Cant believe its this w/e so much to do so little time.

Gald to hear you can make it Stephen I always find denial gets me to the church on time:)
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

Len

#38 Post by Len » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:10 am

I'm popping pills to be fit in time ( stuck at home with a cold, asthma and a lung infection ) but like Stephen I'll only miss it if I'm not well enough to drive there :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

stringnstik

#39 Post by stringnstik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:16 am

Dang Len, you were down with that 2 weeks ago. Sorry to hear and hope you get on the mend real quick.. u need some of my meddyglyn to fix you up.:)
"twang....thud"

Roadie

#40 Post by Roadie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:48 am

Hi Len, Mate I have the Best cure for any cold, Malt Whisky straight, particulary my favourite (Laphroaig) from the island of Islay of the coast from Glasglow. The taste of seawater, peat, and smoked barley. Will fix you up real good. hope to see you and the lad on the weekend at the shoot. Cheers Roadie.

kerrille

#41 Post by kerrille » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:55 pm

geez i wish i was goin down... ah well if i know roadie he'll keep the northwest bgs contingents reputation in disrepute :lol:

i'll be missen yor'll ...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

stringnstik

#42 Post by stringnstik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Roadie wrote:particulary my favourite (Laphroaig)
Roadie My new best mate, its so hard to find others who love Laphroaig, finally someone who drinks real Scotch

we will have a round in your honour Nev
"twang....thud"

MrsStringnstik

#43 Post by MrsStringnstik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:20 pm

stringnstik wrote:we will have a round in your honour Nev
... somehow methinks thou dost not be referring to an archery round... :roll:
"There will of course be no mention of the rumour that Mrs stringnstik shot better than I did." Stringnstik!!

Trad Bound

#44 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Stringstik
Malt whiskey!!!!!! I've seen that firewater you make. I'm still trying to get Vanilla whiskey out of my nasal passage between White sparrow and Fireball (Nev) i had a very ordinary round on the sunday at Dunolly due to those two vanilla breaths. i don't know if Nev needs a round he can look after himself. Anyway it should be a good weekend.
Len and Stephen you look after yourselves hope you can make it.
Cheers Tony

hue

#45 Post by hue » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:24 pm

glad to hear that you're still around Stephen

thought you may have got lost between here and the states, sorry you haven't been well. i hope a good weekend in the fresh air and sun may help and Len shake this lurgie off
and Roadie, i'm not in the least bit fussed as to which malt whiskey you bring, if you need to lighten ther bottle, i'm your soak,eer, man!

Hue
I can only be who I am

Roadie

#46 Post by Roadie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:45 pm

O'BOY, Looks like I'll have I will have to educate some fellow archers, to start with only Americans drink Whiskey ( Burbon), A true blue Malt drinker only drinks WHISKY, weather its Irish, who introduced the nectar of the Gods to my ancestors in Scotland way back in history. I only drink the Malts from the island of Islay,my favourite is Laphroiag,and by the way Stringstick are you a FOL, another islay whisky I enjoy is a Bowmore at least a 12year old it has a warm amber colour, smell of lemon, pears,and honey, one can taste the peat smoke and dark chocolate, a drink to enjoy. Any one who wants to mix coke with any of my malts is not welcome. Cheers All Roadie

hardgainer

#47 Post by hardgainer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:22 pm

Wow.....see the Temps for Fri 24 Sat 25 Sun 24. Hope things are OK with with the health Stephen we need a good longbow lineup for this one. It sounds like you mountain men are having a little trouble witrh your moonshine blends :shock: :shock: . I will put up hillborn Bourbon straight from Thunder Road that will Knock your socks off. I hear Mark is making the trip from Qlnd. Where the hell is Cody and his mate Steve the locksmith. Be good if they can make it. Len hope you can.......
Cheers guys

Scrub Bull

#48 Post by Scrub Bull » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:50 pm

Yes the old Scrub Bull is coming down to shoot with you Mexicans. If your lucky i'll sneak a fox into the bag to put on the raffle table.
It's always fun to shoot with you lot. Before anyone asks no I'm not bring the shop, I'm having the weekend off.
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

hardgainer

#49 Post by hardgainer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:56 pm

Meant to add to the previous post many thanks to the Black Griffins for postponing their weekend club shoot to free up soldiers for the 2 day Lilydale Trad. Great to see the help Trad shooters clubwise extend when needed :D.

Len

#50 Post by Len » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:53 am

Well the cortisone seems to be kicking in and I'm on the mend ! Mitchell and I will be there early Sat morn so all you friday nighters leave a good camp spot for us :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

stringnstik

#51 Post by stringnstik » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:16 pm

hmm cant say I have tried a Bowmore sounds intriguing.
Not a FOL I should get around to it one day I guess. Mind you I havent purchased a whisky for quite some time.

oo and Tradbound, re the Vanilla,, I worked out what the problem was there. I have a number of "vessels" I blend from one of them being a major contributor to Irish blends often known for their distinct vanilla afters. I was in a hurry when blending the "dunolly09" Id say I grabbed the irish instead of the highlands jar....ooops.
"twang....thud"

Robert

#52 Post by Robert » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:52 pm

I gather this is an archery shoot I'm heading for tomorrow?
I assume the malt, vanilla etc makes good arrow flight.

hue

#53 Post by hue » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:56 pm

archery? are we shooting arrows?
gods, i'd better put the bow in the back of the car, just in case!

Hue
I can only be who I am

stringnstik

#54 Post by stringnstik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:56 am

Its called crippling the opponents Robert. the only way us poor shooters have a chance of getting scores close to the robin hoods is to taint them a little the night b4.

So back to archery related things.

Armguard for the raffle table is done

My apologies to the one who wins it.
Attachments
Prowling tiger, hidden range finder armguard.
Prowling tiger, hidden range finder armguard.
armguard_tiger.jpg (98.69 KiB) Viewed 7730 times
"twang....thud"

pdccr

#55 Post by pdccr » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:13 am

Wow, thats a great armgaurd! I am going to have a go at using some leather to make an arm gaurd. You have given me inspiration stringnstick :lol:
Cheers, Toby

TomMcDonald

#56 Post by TomMcDonald » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:39 am

stringnstik wrote:Its called crippling the opponents Robert. the only way us poor shooters have a chance of getting scores close to the robin hoods is to taint them a little the night b4.

Lol 'hidden range finder'. Classic.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Gemms

#57 Post by Gemms » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:06 pm

Got myself all psych'd up to actaully have a go at this one then get told I have to work.

Gutted!
When in Danger or in Doubt, Run in circles scream and shout!

White Hawk

#58 Post by White Hawk » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:34 pm

OK Roadie given this will be your first shoot as a mexican and also to welcome you south to the 'Griffins', I decided we shall drink Islay single malts in your honour. Picked up another of this Island best malt, Bruichladdich. Winner of several awards, Distillery of the year, Distiller of the year etc etc

A unique narrow necked still produces a refined floral and fruity spirit, non chilled filtered and colouring free for fuller flavour, matured in bourbon casks for 12 years, warm vanilla over tones (TONY J you might as well join us if you dont want to 'suffer' the next day again! :lol: ) mellow oak finish.

Dont tell Len the scots are coming to town!

see you there fellas. oh and we might shoot some arrows too.....

White Chook.

ps: Nev wish you were coming mate! Stringstik, are you with us? (silly question)
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

jfruitcake

#59 Post by jfruitcake » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:32 am

wow, i dont know if all this whiskey talk is making me glad or sad we arent staying over saturday night.

Anyway will catch up with all you reprobates on Saturday morning if you are able to stand and shoot arrows.

Michelle
Michelle, John & 3 three getting bloody big rugrats

Dewi

#60 Post by Dewi » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:01 am

stringnstik wrote:Its called crippling the opponents Robert. the only way us poor shooters have a chance of getting scores close to the robin hoods is to taint them a little the night b4.

Thats awesome, I am sure the winner will be VERY pleased.

I am heading up to the club after work today to give clarkie a hand.

Please anyone up there early restrict yourselves to the practice ranges only, we dont want to get hit while moving about.

I am considering bringing a breathalizer, anyone caught shooting under .05%bac will be penalised by making them shoot all targets at max distance, lol.

Anyone camping please use your good sense and judgement, we have some high winds forcast, be wary of overhanging limbs please.

Don't forget for those interested we have a speaker "Dave Holt" on Sat arvo.

Have not dusted off the longbow for sometime, better get in a couple of practice shots in the morning. :roll: Forgot to put it in the work truck for this arvo.

Should be alot of fun.

I have designed one shot that will bring a smile to your face, just don't miss, your arrow may not like it, or carry one crap(hint) arrow in your quiver. (evil laughs)Hoo har har.