2009 Traditional Archery Get-Together

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Jeffro

Re: 2009 Traditional Archery Get-Together

#31 Post by Jeffro » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Didnt get to say gday to you Gav but now I know who you are I will next time.Well done on winning the top 5 shootout.You are a damm good shot.
Its a great place for a shoot hey!The novelty events especially are really really good fun and the popinjay although I didnt quite know what to expect was a winner in my book.It is a tower with 4 small soccer ball sized foam balls on it stuck on spikes and you have to shoot them off at a nearly vertical angle with flu flu blunts.Then it has a rope to lower it and put them back on- if you hit them .

GrahameA

#32 Post by GrahameA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:17 am

Morning Kevn
longbowinfected wrote:JCM
metal discs is ok.
I do have a number of needle nosed bodkins.
Hmm... Special Target Bodkin arrows. I have just the thing.....
bodkin.jpg
bodkin.jpg (58.59 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
Actually not mine - just part of a set of arrows a friend just finished (but they are for another post).
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

White Hawk

#33 Post by White Hawk » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:21 am

thanks Jeffro, it was an honour to shoot amongst those fellas, there wasn't much in it. I will be back next year for sure so look me up mate!
Poppin Jay was a winner, a crowd favourite!
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

longbow steve

#34 Post by longbow steve » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks Rob and Dianne and all others that helped make the shoot so enjoyable for all.
Thanks for the interstaters for making the effort to come such a long way, its good to know through Trad archery you can go anywhere and be treated like family.
John Macdonald thanks for breaking up my set of Wallace woods :lol: . Steve

longbowinfected

#35 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 am

Steve,

John and Steve Wallace work as a team.
Kevin Rudd has them registered for increasing productive sales in Oz industry.
They probably got K.rudd awards.
Then there is the tireless work that John does in increasing the sales of Tim Tams.

Perhaps Robert should run a novelty Iron Pig event at 40 metres across the lake gold coin entry. He must have a couple of old barbie plates lying around. seeing as I never hit the running pig I would not win but would not be likely to break a Wallace wood either.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

jcm

#36 Post by jcm » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:49 am

Kevin you forgot the other partner- Wayno the Yang to Kev's Yin.
You will still get your Tim Tams.
Steve I am most sorry about the arrows. Will have some of nature's carbons
for you to try next time - should cut down on the breakage.
Great Shooting as always Steve.
Best
John

stringnstik

#37 Post by stringnstik » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Strigngstik family home safe n sound.
Dropped the drive shaft 50clicks outa Wodonga, wondered what that vibration was :lol Im assuming the checking of drive shaft bolts are not part of the normal car service I had done b4 we left?

ahh well I should have realised something was not right.
disconnected the rest of the rear drive chain and shifted into 4wd and drove into wodonga on the front system..gotta love 4wd eyhh...found a wreckers, 4 new bolts, a little hammer and some file work and away we went again..

need some sleep and lots of washing.

ooo BTW FANTASTIC shoot
Wonderful atmosphere, great friends, kids had a ball and has to be the most scenic archery event Ive been too.

Many thanks to Rob n family and all those made it possible.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

little arrows

#38 Post by little arrows » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:28 pm

What an absolutely wonderful weekend. The wide variety of events is amazing, and there may be even more next year a little birdie told me this morning. The poppinjay was great, a new experience shooting straight up.
It was so good catching up with everyone again. Many Thanks to all in the kitchen.
Timbow was true to his word - he only drank light beers, and Tony, I'll walk up with you and make it easier for you next time too, okay...... :lol:
Great to see Stephen G having so much fun, he's a bigger kid than me, and Gavin, good shooting mate. Glad to see The Symonds family enjoying their extending vacation too.
The spirit of this tournament couldn't be summing up any better than Owen navigating the rocky sandstone trail through the bush on cruches - yes the man has a busted foot. How Tim and Tony slept Saturday night through his stories in camp I'll never know, my ribs are still sore from laughing.
This shoot is a must on the traditional calender.
Oh and yes Rob did retreive that damn human bucking chair from the bin again as we were leaving.
I think I'll have an early night, it's a long drive.
sue

Stephen Georgiou

#39 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:09 am

Dianne and Robert. You have set a very high standard in traditional events!
I had a great time this weekend and was very happy to be amongst some excellent people.

The biggest difference between this event and others was that I felt like a guest. Your hospitality and friendship easily made the trip north worth the effort.

To my new friends. Thank you. To be made welcome at your camp and to feel at home in your company is a gift that cannot be described easily by a big tough bloke. :oops:

A special thanks goes to Nick "Norseman Bows" and Robert for coming up with the "Barbarian." My new sledge hammer of a bow shoots beautifully.

Steve and Sue, what can I say that a hug cannot? You two are a unique team. The craftsmanship that you show in the products you produce speak for themselves. My new set of Wallis woods are exceptional. To have a set of arrows that are so perfectly matched is a real luxury. Sue, again you floored me with you generosity. Thank you so much for my new favorite bow bag. I now have a full set!

Here are a couple of photos for those of you who missed out. These shot really don't do the McKenzie's home justice but will give you an idea.
IMG00689-20091016-1143.jpg
IMG00689-20091016-1143.jpg (173.36 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
rob and diannes - view from the marque.jpg
rob and diannes - view from the marque.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
another view from the marque.jpg
another view from the marque.jpg (65.06 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
rob on a rock.jpg
rob on a rock.jpg (169.01 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
rob steve and tim.jpg
rob steve and tim.jpg (158.1 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
tim at full draw.jpg
tim at full draw.jpg (137.59 KiB) Viewed 3034 times

Guy Layton

#40 Post by Guy Layton » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:03 pm

What an unbelievable weekend...!!! Full credit to all the people involved who made such an event possible, especially Rob and Dianne... (Simon too)

Not only did the weekend cater for all the archers, it also was a great event for family and friends... I know my three year old daughter Lola, still talks about her first ever camping trip down to Wisemans ferry with her Dad, it was an experience that both her and i will never forget... :mrgreen: thanks again to everyone attending for making those memories life lasting...!

This is an event not to be missed next year, I know for certain that Rob has already thought of new and exciting ways to improve on next year events, (If that's possible) lets just say that next year we wont be just shooting arrows from across the dam...!!!! :shock:

Many thanks once again...

Guy.. :D
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

jamie

#41 Post by jamie » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:29 pm

we allways have a great time , thanks to the efforts of everybody involved , good to meet a few of the southerners will be there next time with family in tow again,actaully the young fella will be dragging me there as he has a ball, look forward to the new events rob is schemeing up for next year.
whack'em,stack'em,chill'em and grill'em

Stephen Georgiou

#42 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:58 am

One more word of thanks.
I had the pleasure of shooting with Guy, Howard, Jack and Dianne on the weekend and would like to thank you all for adding to an already great weekend.
Guy your competitive spirit, one we share with Gavin and many others 8) has drawn me to this sport and I must say that hearing your blood curdling scream on a poor shot was great! More power to you! I hope that we will get the opportunity again, soon. Until then, all the best.
SG

stringnstik

#43 Post by stringnstik » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:44 pm

Stephen Georgiou wrote:...
Guy your competitive spirit, ...I must say that hearing your blood curdling scream ....
SG
This curdle, cannot be compared tho with Lola's gorgeous singing during dinner time. I have dined with many ladies in my time but none have ever sung so sweetly :).Her renditions were so much more favorable than Sir Irish Owens night time dities :) It was great Guy, to have Lola there cheering daddy on in the shootout, as was the many other kids and family's present.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

nuts1

#44 Post by nuts1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:47 pm

What a great adventure. Adriana and I have arrived home and must say what a great time we have had.
Thanks to Rob & Dianne for your wonderful hospitality and friendship, one of the best shoots we have been to, Great shoot and it was good to catch up with old friends and meet new ones. We will be back.
regards Keith & Adriana.

Robert

#45 Post by Robert » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:09 pm

Thanks to everyone who supported this shoot. You guy's are the ones who made this get together great - I had just as much fun putting this together as it sounds like you enjoyed shooting it. Thanks especially to the Marshalls Les, Wade, Chris, John and our neighbours Bob & Steve who gave up their weekend to supervise the events. Also thanks to Owen, Nick, Les, Guy, Simon & Jim for their help.

Kevin - iron pigs, rock walls and steel discs are no problem, just for you. next year in October
Attachments
RESULTS09.xls
(15.28 KiB) Downloaded 117 times