YASS & DISTRICTS ARCHERS

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

longbowinfected

YASS & DISTRICTS ARCHERS

#1 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:29 pm

This is not strictly trad but most of the archers were shooting barebow....
I got the chance to visit this small but strong independent club and shoot in their marked field event last weekend......what a ripper course....great bunch of people.
Not many exceeded their PBs. This course is even tougher than Tuggeranong.
A lot of 45 degree angle shots up,down....even 35 and 40 metres.
Hospitality/meals/bevs were great........I recommend that if you ever get the chance to go, grab it.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

TomMcDonald

Re: YASS & DISTRICTS ARCHERS

#2 Post by TomMcDonald » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:44 pm

longbowinfected wrote:This is not strictly trad but most of the archers were shooting barebow....
I got the chance to visit this small but strong independent club and shoot in their marked field event last weekend......what a ripper course....great bunch of people.
Not many exceeded their PBs. This course is even tougher than Tuggeranong.
A lot of 45 degree angle shots up,down....even 35 and 40 metres.
Hospitality/meals/bevs were great........I recommend that if you ever get the chance to go, grab it.

Kevin
Kevin, is this a 3D course?
Do you know if it's open all year?
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

longbowinfected

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:30 pm

Target faces. Independent club with the field course set up in the Atkins' farm back yard.
They shoot at other clubs like Tuggeranong....should not be too hard to get into contact through the club secretary....via their website.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

TomMcDonald

#4 Post by TomMcDonald » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:43 pm

longbowinfected wrote:Target faces. Independent club with the field course set up in the Atkins' farm back yard.
They shoot at other clubs like Tuggeranong....should not be too hard to get into contact through the club secretary....via their website.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, but I couldn't find webste.
Tom

longbowinfected

#5 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:18 am

search for Tuggeranong club which is on the ACTarchery website might work.

Kevin

TomMcDonald

#6 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:40 am

longbowinfected wrote:search for Tuggeranong club which is on the ACTarchery website might work.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, I'm a member there, I just thought if there was a field course closer that would be better.
Tom

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:15 pm

If you talk to Gary Hobson he should be able to give you directions to the field at Yass plus the phone numbers. Simon aka Brumbies Country goes there from time to time.

Kevin

TomMcDonald

#8 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Great, thanks alot for your help.
Tom

Brumbies Country

#9 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Hi Tom

I shoot there alot. Shoots are every second Saturday morning at 11am but will start earlier soon as weather heats up. As Kevin says its a good challenging course, a bit more of an ask than Tuggeranong. Regularly shoot FITA type targets but they also put out animal targets which would suit your hunting practice. I'm just out of touch which is the next Staurday they are shooting because I've just got back from overseas, but I'll chase it up. Also have the Atkins telephone number at home and I'll post that here over the weekend. Its at Bowning, about 20 mins drive from Murrumbateman.

Simon

TomMcDonald

#10 Post by TomMcDonald » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Simon, thanks for your help.
I might drive up there tomorrow and see if it's going.
Tom.
Tom

longbowinfected

#11 Post by longbowinfected » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:15 pm

Another great FITA arrowhead field shoot at YAD archers, run by Stuart and Frances Atkins in conjunction with Canberra Archery Club. The course is set up on a working property. Many guests camped on site. A number of folk came from Canberra, Liverpool, Mountain Archers [Blue Mountains], Queanbeyan as well as from the Yass district.
The two day event saw a bit over 30 archers shooting this challenging course. Quite steep with lots of tricky little shots near trees, in shade. Open sections buffeted by wind, light but chilly rain and high heat over the two days of pretending to be mountain goats.
Hospitality, Food, Drink, Blue Hilton [tent] accommodation with the human buzzsaw [sleeping longbowinfected] all excellent.

Bonus: participants cheerfully invited to see if they can break their VB blunt arrows on the local moving grey targets. I have potted bunnies before with my longbow but this is my first time with timber arrows......no pix though as the unlucky inquisitive bunny lost his head and fell into a deep burrow....gotta love the vermin buster [first time I used one, thanks Rob L]

Longbow news
Steve Farrell shot an awesome two day score for mid 500s with longbow even though someone snoring kept him up all night and even though he decided to leave his finger tab at home and had to borrow a different species. Simon Bain shot well with a number of elegant 6s including a perfect end of the day last shot.....oh and the fat boy in blue shot a 220 with timbers... a very welcome PB on a tough course. Young Ms Deer demonstrated her talent with her longbow........hard to tell whose smile was bigger [young miss, Mum or Dad's]
Great to see at an AA event ALL longbowers using timber arrows and well.

Kevin

longbowinfected

#12 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:32 am

What a great shoot.
Smiles albeit tired ones al round from all disciplines and divisions.
My hat off to al who had a go.

Kevin
Attachments
The only time I have ever tried to catch the arrow in flight....I supose it is a bit easier with slower arrows...some nice sixes Simon.
The only time I have ever tried to catch the arrow in flight....I supose it is a bit easier with slower arrows...some nice sixes Simon.
Simon Bain with English Long Bow [].jpg (19.1 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Only bit of flat ground i the property. Even the outside hired dunny was on a 15 degree slope
Only bit of flat ground i the property. Even the outside hired dunny was on a 15 degree slope
Only bit of flat ground on the whole property [].jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Kevin, gentleman that he is spent quite a bit of time reminding susan [who does not like trees near targets] about the trees surounding them
Kevin, gentleman that he is spent quite a bit of time reminding susan [who does not like trees near targets] about the trees surounding them
Longbowinfected reminds Susan that she hates hitting overhanging trees [].jpg (37.71 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Frances ain action
Frances ain action
Frances our hostess in full flight... [].jpg (39.67 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Frances atkins showing us longbowers how it is done.
Frances atkins showing us longbowers how it is done.
Frances lined up ready to show us longbowers how it is done... [].jpg (36.93 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Bit dry. Bit hilly
Bit dry. Bit hilly
bit dry [].jpg (41.7 KiB) Viewed 3397 times

Brumbies Country

#13 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Kevin

Really good to catch up with you and Steve and it was great to shoot with you both on the second day. Reckon both of you shot really well and between you both you've got me alot more fired up about FITA field. Was also something of an inspiration to see Steve's Pecan selfbow that he'd bought down for me to have a look at. Reckon it is the best looking selfbow I've seen by a fair margin.

Your rainmaker's reputation is intact Kevin. The bit of rain we had on the Sunday during the shoot wasn't too much of a problem but it really set in as you guys left to drive home. I tipped a bit over 16mls out of the guage this morning. Reckon we'll have to get you guys down once a fortnight. That way you get to shoot a challenging field course on a regular basis and you could extract payment from the locals as a rain whisperer. The rabbits on Stuart and Franscis place also need a bit or regular culling :lol: .

Cheers

Simon

TomMcDonald

#14 Post by TomMcDonald » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Brumbies Country wrote:Hi Kevin

Really good to catch up with you and Steve and it was great to shoot with you both on the second day. Reckon both of you shot really well and between you both you've got me alot more fired up about FITA field. Was also something of an inspiration to see Steve's Pecan selfbow that he'd bought down for me to have a look at. Reckon it is the best looking selfbow I've seen by a fair margin.

Your rainmaker's reputation is intact Kevin. The bit of rain we had on the Sunday during the shoot wasn't too much of a problem but it really set in as you guys left to drive home. I tipped a bit over 16mls out of the guage this morning. Reckon we'll have to get you guys down once a fortnight. That way you get to shoot a challenging field course on a regular basis and you could extract payment from the locals as a rain whisperer. The rabbits on Stuart and Franscis place also need a bit or regular culling :lol: .

Cheers

Simon
Sounds good guys.

I'll be there in 2 weeks I hope. with rabbit blunts too this time.
Tom

longbowinfected

#15 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Simon, you are too kind......Steve's shooting was way ahead of mine.
By the way, if you look at the picture of you shooting above, the arrow is in the picture a foot in front of the bow.

Kevin

longbowinfected

#16 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:45 pm

Hopefully if the technology gods allow it a closer peek of Simons arrow.

Kevin
Attachments
copy of simon bain longbow with arrow in flightDSC02290 [].JPG
copy of simon bain longbow with arrow in flightDSC02290 [].JPG (46.21 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

Brumbies Country

#17 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:55 pm

[quote="tomalophicon

I'll be there in 2 weeks I hope. with rabbit blunts too this time.[/quote]

Hi Tom

Sounds good. About time we caught up and it's a very interesting course to shoot with the 24 targets.

Cheers

Brumbies Country

#18 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:00 pm

longbowinfected wrote:Hopefully if the technology gods allow it a closer peek of Simons arrow.

Kevin
Kevin, that's a great pic. Wonder if the relative speed of the ELB has something to do with it :lol: . But seriously, really good to be able to see that.

Cheers

Simon

longbowinfected

#19 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:21 pm

The arrow is a bit easier to see from most ELBs. I do not like my chances with anything faster using my little Sony Cybershot [chose that one on the technological benefits of the facts that it was cheap whilst overseas and because it was small]
The real funny thing is that I spent all day just trying to get an action shot of you as you were the only trad shooter in a group near me the first day. Someone would get in the way or you were shooting too quickly and quite often some one in my group would tell me it was my turn to shoot. I decided to hit the button as you were drawing back and thought I had muffed it. I had no idea of the content until I started my resizing program and got a really pleasant surprise. I shot such a low score that day thinking about everything else than shooting that I left the camera in the car the second day.
Thinking back on it, I should not have taken so many pix during the Masters Games.....but I do have some great memories trapped forever because I did.

Kevin