state clout

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

longbowinfected

Re: state clout

#31 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:57 am

As the saying goes:
PICTURES?????
SCORES??????

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

White Hawk

#32 Post by White Hawk » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:59 am

thanks fellas!
It was (as always thanks to Waverley city Archer fantastic efforts) a great day. Their long term support in hosting the state titles has kept the clout flame alive down here. The trad/barebow contingent like last year was dominating the numbers.

Steve it was a pleasure shooting with you, you pushed me all the way no doubt about it (thanks for the score update BTW!, its like shooting with Richie Benaeu! :lol: ), and Peter Fernell is a great competitor too, the quite assassin he is!

Numbers were slightly down this year so everyone needs to bring a friend next year!

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

White Hawk

#33 Post by White Hawk » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:19 am

ps: Congrats to Hue on taking out the Barebow recurve title! Battle of the horse bows it was!
huzzahhhh to my fellow Black Griffin!

Gav

longbowinfected

#34 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:27 pm

Gav,

what rig & arrows were you shooting?

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

White Hawk

#35 Post by White Hawk » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Hey Kev,

funny enough the very first bow I ever bought a second hand martin longbow (Mountaineer I think). 50@28".
With 5/16 45-50# POC shafts 4 inch feathers, shield cut, 125g brass points. Using a glove not tab.

That bow seems to have the perfect cast for clout distance of 145m for me. It is not the fastest bow I own and I think that is what helps.
I actually find woods better for clout as they are heavier than alloys and less inclined to drift, but this is personal thing, I know some who need alloys to make the distance so I dont have a problem with them in clout. I have a set of the same arrows with smaller feathers for windy conditions. Thats it, pretty bog standard set up really.

cheers mate

Gav

hue

#36 Post by hue » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:22 pm

uh-huh Stringnstik!!!!!!!

Hue
I can only be who I am

hue

#37 Post by hue » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:29 pm

hey Kev.

don't want to give scores and positions of the top of me head, getting too old for that.
we have to wait for someone at AV level to post it on the AV website.
as for pictures, the only person i can remember taking photos' was a ten year old kid. sorry mate!
will post as soon as possible.
it was great shooting with the boys again and you are right Gavin, Peter is not only the silent assassin also the smiling one!

Hue
I can only be who I am

Len

#38 Post by Len » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:11 am

Well done Hue and Gav, good to se you guys doing the LMS/BG's proud. Looking forward to the trad clout championships later in the year :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

longbowinfected

#39 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:04 am

Gavin, what is the overall mass of your timber 5/16 arrows made up?

I totally agree with your choice of the brass points. I use them now without glue at all.
With the coarse thread inside the points they stay on like limpets. If I use my 11/32 shafts with basically the same set up they drop short by a wee bit and my bow is 49#. My timbers weigh bout 460 grains, so knowing your arrow mass would help greatly. I have a very light timber set of 5/16 Ramin which go just over and they weigh about 300 grains. I suspect that a mass in between of around 375-380 might work especially with the smaller cross section of timber.

I found at the AA National Field this year in extreme rain and wind the heavier timber arrows performed more consistently. I find they also work better in the wind at target for 30 and 40 metres if the oganisers will let you use them.

Kevin