3D EVENT - The Black Griffin Traditional Archers

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

White Hawk

3D EVENT - The Black Griffin Traditional Archers

#1 Post by White Hawk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:02 am

Hello all,

The Black Griffin Traditional Archers finally have enough 3D targets to host an event so host an event is what we are doing!

Details are on the attached flyer, so mark it in your calendars and help us by supporting our very first 3D event. Anyone who has shot at the Deakin uni campus in Waurn Ponds will know it is some of the best terrain around for 3D archery. We will also be doing a flying disks event so bring your flu flu's. There will be trophies and great raffle prizes, hope to see you there.

Gav
Attachments
BG_3Devent09.pdf
(54.03 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

stringnstik

Re: 3D EVENT - The Black Griffin Traditional Archers

#2 Post by stringnstik » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:30 am

Will be there with bells on :)

I also noticed "Camo clothing not to be warn on course"

I take this as an acceptance of my orange ways :lol I knew they would all come around sooner or later
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:54 pm

I hope we have many of the trad community supporting the first Black Griffins 3D event. 8)

Although it's the first 3D event for the BGs, our members have had a lot of experience in hosting other various events, including 3D events, whilst belonging to other archery clubs, so you can be assured the shots will be challenging for our 'gun' competitors, but they should still be within the capabilities of our less experienced competitors as well.

As for the 'no camo on the course rule', it's not that we have anything against the many hunters amoungst our ranks. I know that many of us like to be able to wear our hunting cobber at comps, but we have decided, purely in the interests of safety, to ask competitors to leave their camo at home. The reasons are straight forward, be seen and be safe. I don't know about going to Stringnstik's extremes though. :D

Don't forget that travelling to our Deakin University venue from Melbourne is now much quicker than it used to be. The Geelong Ring road is almost complete, so you no longer have to travel right through busy Geelong to get there. It will take approximately 20 minutes off your travelling time, plus you will be saved from having to negotiate all those traffic lights. 8)

It's bound to be a great day of archery. I hope to see all my trad friends there. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Sorry to all the Black Griffin members who live a long way from Geelong and who would have much preferred us to host a two day event, rather than a one dayer. I know many people may have been more inclined to make the long trip for a two day event, however the way the things are at the moment, we don't have a suitable venue, which will allow camping, so we're limited in our options. :) We're hoping to be able to host a 2 day 3D event next year though. :wink:

Don't get me wrong though. May 31st will be a very enjoyable day of archery all the same. Jarvis Oval is a fantastic venue for 3D events. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

stringnstik

#5 Post by stringnstik » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:02 pm

Having just shot flu flus around on our own and not been to a shoot.
How many would you suggest we need? A normal 6 arra round?
"twang....thud"

White Hawk

#6 Post by White Hawk » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:09 pm

Six will be fine, we only have six disks to throw, and flu flu's generally don't break as they land in the ground like clout, and they are quite easy to find so you don't tend to loose any.

Gav

stringnstik

#7 Post by stringnstik » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:32 pm

ahh yes but to you single folk its only 6 to me that means 24:)
Which is ok I have plenty of time.....
I guess Im saying, we currently have a couple each, except the kids which I was going to make 2 each.
If we dont all shoot at once like a clout then I can share em out.
However if it is a round of 6 targets then they will need 6 each..if so Ill get me fingers clickn :)
"twang....thud"

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Mark

You will probably get away with just half that number (12), as not everyone will be able to shoot at once. It will depend on how many competitors turn up, but I imagine that we will have to run the event a couple (or more) of times in order for everyone to get to participate.

It can become frustrating if too many competitors are lined up and shoot similtaniously, as once the disk is hit by someone, it flies erratically, making it almost impossible to hit again.

What we do is, instead of throwing just 6 disks per round, we throw 8, but we still only shoot 6 arrows per round. This means you can let down if the disk takes a hit before you've released. You can also let 2 poorly thrown disks go without having to take the shot. This little 'twist' in the rules allows you to introduce some strategy into your shooting as well. :wink:

Those of us who have participated in bow bird events will know just how much fun they can be. :D There will be separate trophies for this event.

Mick

stringnstik

#9 Post by stringnstik » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:06 pm

thanks Mick.
at home we have a foam grid iron ball.. about the right size of a bird and can be thrown sprial or tumble.. It certainly is heaps of fun and Ill need to make sure the kids are set with enough arrows or Ill get lynched :)
"twang....thud"

jfruitcake

#10 Post by jfruitcake » Mon May 04, 2009 9:08 pm

Hey mark,

I know the feeling John is always the same just six arrows, oops sorry thats 30.

Same with costumes, we need new ones oops thats five
Michelle, John & 3 three getting bloody big rugrats

rodney macdonald

#11 Post by rodney macdonald » Mon May 04, 2009 10:35 pm

To all the Black Griffins,

I am looking foward to your shoot on the 31st May it will be a good warm up for the Hunter Valley shoot

Rod Mac

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Tue May 05, 2009 7:12 pm

It will be good to see you again Rod. 8)

Yes mate, you could view our little 3D event as a bit of realist practice for the HVTA shoot. We've got a few heading up to the Hunter Valley ourselves. Are you going to be bringing Blakey too? He was going to bring along some of his semi-finished osage selfbows for me to have a look at.

I've been working my butt off today, making new shooting pegs and painting them, as well as new target numbers, etc, for our shoot on May 31st. :D

Mick

Len

#13 Post by Len » Wed May 06, 2009 4:36 pm

Looking forward to this guys should be a great day with a lot of the usual stirring going on.
Rodney, I'll bring the young fellow's trophies with me to give to you to pass on if thats Ok
Hmmmmmmm.............

rodney macdonald

#14 Post by rodney macdonald » Thu May 07, 2009 10:11 pm

G'day to Mick Smith and Len,

Mick I spoke to Blakey and yes he will be there along I think with a friend and his Pig.

Len Thanks for your e-mail That will be great the young fellow will be over the moon.

Looking foward to the shoot

Rod Mac

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Fri May 08, 2009 8:01 pm

Me too Rod. :wink:

For those people who have never been to a Black Griffin event, I will give you a brief overview of what we will have in store for you. We will have 30 different 3D targets laid out on the day. The 30 x 3D targets will be arranged into three different courses, each composed of 10 targets. Each course will take you from a central point, near where the marshalling area will be, up into the steep, rugged, heavily treed and beautiful areas of the reserve, where you will get to experience some truely unique shots, like extreme uphill and downhill shots, the likes of which you may never have experienced before, as well as other numerous little challenges we have thought up to boot. :D

The idea of having 3 separate courses is designed to minimize groups backing up and to keep all the groups widely spaced apart, for safety reasons. Each course will be very well flagged to ensure nobody gets lost, or strays into somewhere they shouldn't for safety reasons.

It's going to be a truely great day of 3D shooting, and certainly one not to be missed. :wink:

You might also be surprised at just how big and exciting our flu-flu event will be. This is one event the Black Griffins relish. Our flu-flu event will be 'full on'. 8)

It's certainly going to be worth the effort of getting yourself to Geelong on the day. I guarantee it. :wink:

Mick

rodney macdonald

#16 Post by rodney macdonald » Fri May 08, 2009 8:30 pm

G'day Mick,

Cant wait to get shooting on those hill sides and I know you are the Master at setting out a good course from past experience..

Rod Mac

Mick Smith

#17 Post by Mick Smith » Sat May 16, 2009 6:18 pm

Okay people, May 31st is only a couple of weeks away now. If you haven't already done so, could you please let us know if you're coming, so we can better estimate the quantities of food that we need. We will have eggs and bacon for breakfast and a BBQ lunch.

If you're coming to the event from the direction of Melbourne, you will be able to save yourself around 15 minutes (and many sets of traffic lights), by taking the partially completed Geelong Ring road. To take this option, when you're approaching Geelong on the Geelong Freeway, instead of taking the Geelong exit on the left, keep to the freeway and follow the signs to Hamilton and Ballarat. The ring road is open as far as the Hamilton Highway, so when you get to the end you will find yourself at a set of traffic lights with the option of turning left (towards Geelong) or right (towards Hamilton). Turn right (West) and drive for about 6 or 7 km until you will see a road on the left called Merriwarp Rd. Turn left into Merriwarp Rd and travel in a Southerly direction. You will cross over the Barwon River and after travelling another 5 or 6 km, you will come to another intersection. This is Barrabool Rd. Turn left into Barrabool Rd and travel in an Easterly direction for around 2 or 3 km. As you get to the crest of the second hill, just past the Ceres Primary School, you will see Cochranes Rd on the right. Turn into Cochranes Rd and travel in a Southerly direction for around 8 or 9 km, until you reach the Princes Highway at Waurn Ponds. This is a 'T' intersection. Turn left into the Princes Highway and travel for about 5 km until reaching the big Bunnings store at Waurn Ponds. Directly opposite the Bunnings store there's Pigdons Rd on the left hand side. Turn left into Pigdons Rd and travel for about 500 metres, where you will see the main entrance to the Deakin University campus. Turn into the university grounds and take left hand turns whenever they're an option. This will lead you directly to Jarvis Oval and the BG 3D event. You can go home the same way.

All the above roads run through rural areas, so the drive is pleasant and straightforward. There are some speed restrictions on these roads though, but 80 kph is still better than what you will average going through Geelong.

When the ring road is finally finished later this year, it will take you almost directly to where the event will be, but until then, the above route is the best.

The above route is easy to find in your Melways. It's still within the area of the large scale maps.

See you there!!! :D

Mick
Last edited by Mick Smith on Wed May 27, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hue

#18 Post by hue » Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm

thanks Mick, that answered my question about the how to use the bypass!

Hue
I can only be who I am

rodney macdonald

#19 Post by rodney macdonald » Sat May 16, 2009 8:47 pm

G'day Mick Smith,

I will be there on the 31st and I know Blakey and a Friend are coming and if I find out any others are coming from up our way I will let you know after tomorrow's shoot at Donald.

p.s What time are you kicking off as it will take a few hours to get down there.

Rod Mac

Mick Smith

#20 Post by Mick Smith » Sat May 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks Rod. :wink: We're kicking off at 9am with the registrations, etc and the actual shoot itself will begin at 10am.

Mick

White Hawk

#21 Post by White Hawk » Sun May 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Well Leigh, Mick, Troy and myself spent a good portion of saturday setting the courses for next weekends 3D shoot. We believe we have taken advantage of the miriade of fantastic shots available at Deakin Uni. The biggest problem was there are sooooooo many interesting shots to be had at Deakin the hard part is selecting ones to leave out!

We have been able to take advantage of the dry creek bed, and we have what we feel is a good wide spectrum of shots, tunnels, close, distant, open field, dead ground, scrub shots, steep up hill, steep down hill, across hill shots, you name it we have included it. I hope you all will enjoy what we have prepared for you, setting a 3D course is a lot of fun but also very challenging.

Look forward to seeing you all there next Sunday.

Gav

hue

#22 Post by hue » Sun May 24, 2009 8:15 pm

as the BG's are holding their very first tournament on Sunday the 31st
Cordell MacGuire, the prez of DVA informs me that they are holding a 2 day 3D tournament on the weekend of the 30/31 May
he has invited all trad archers who wish to practice for the BG's "do" to use the saturday shoot at DVA as a practice at a reduced rate, you can gather all info from
http://www.archery-forum.com/showthread.php?t=27632
just mention that you are going to the BG's shoot
you don't have to be a member of 3D AAA to shoot at DVA

Hue

forgot to mention that the deal is reciprical, if you shoot the DVA shoot, you'll get a discount at the BG's shoot!
what could be better?
Last edited by hue on Mon May 25, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can only be who I am

Mick Smith

#23 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 24, 2009 9:16 pm

That's very decent of them. 8) Thanks for letting us know Hue. :wink:

For those people intending to travel to Waurn Ponds via the new Geelong Ring Road, I just happened to travel this final section of the route today and I noticed that many of the road signs are missing. I presume they have been removed by the local council in an effort to stop motorists using these 'back roads' and saving themselves heaps of time. I also suspect they have put up 80 kph speed restrictions on these lonely bitumen rural roads for the same reason. There's still no reason for not using the below Geelong Ring Road route though, as it's still a much quicker and easier alternative.

Here's a quick and easy way to find your way from the ring road to the venue without relying so much on the missing road name signs. When you get to the end of where ring road is currently finished, at the Hamilton Highway, turn right and head west towards Hamilton. After travelling around 6 or 7 kms, you will see a big green sign on the left, indicating the turn-off to 'Ceres' is on the left. Take the left turn into (Merriwarp Rd) and travel south along this bitumen road for about 8 km (it has a few minor bends) until reaching the first bitumen intersection. You will see another sign indicating to turn left to go to 'Ceres'. This is Barrabool Rd. Turn left into Barrabool Rd and travel east towards the township of Ceres, which isn't far away. Right on the outskirts of Ceres, you will see a sealed road on the right called Chocranes Rd. Turn right into Chocranes Rd and travel south about 8 kms until you reach the Princes Hwy. At the 'T' intersection where Chocranes Rd meets the Princes Hwy, turn left and travel east for about 5 kms until you reach a big roundabout. Go through the roundabout and take the next turn left, which is Pigdons Rd. Travel north up Pigdons Rd for only about 300 metres where you will see the main entrance into Deakin University on the left. Turn into the university and take every left turn at each opportunity. Take the small (but sealed) road that leads you over the crest of the steep hill down to Jarvis Oval.

You will save yourself a lot of hassles by taking the above route, as well as saving at least 15 minuties of travelling time. It's the same route that I previously described. I've just described it in a slightly different way. :D

The 7 day weather report indicates that we should have great weather for the 31st. What better way of spending the day than shooting at 3D targets with your mates? I hope to see you there. :D

Don't forget your flu-flus. :wink:

Mick
Last edited by Mick Smith on Wed May 27, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stringnstik

#24 Post by stringnstik » Mon May 25, 2009 8:09 am

thanks Mick very decent of you to check and post the route for us. Its going to be a tight morning so I need no further delays..

Got the flus done yesterday set of four each will have to do us. Ran out of sticks, feathers and patience :lol

Looking fwd to actually shooting rather than making arrows.
"twang....thud"

hue

#25 Post by hue » Mon May 25, 2009 7:40 pm

thanks for the further info Mick
sure helps to have someone in "the know"

Hue
I can only be who I am

Mick Smith

#26 Post by Mick Smith » Tue May 26, 2009 3:35 pm

I didn't want all our contestants scattered around the countryside, lost. :wink:

Mick

Abaci

#27 Post by Abaci » Wed May 27, 2009 1:29 pm

Afternoon Guy's,

I should be there. Got a new set of arrows that will hopefully be done by the shoot in time to try out.

See you there.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

stringnstik

#28 Post by stringnstik » Wed May 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Hey Mick
Just following your instructions via google maps, havent confirmed with melways yet but all is good except for the link between Barrabool Rd and Princess hwy.

you have it down as Considines Rd but google maps indicates a road which fits the description perfectly but calls it Chocranes Rd.

Now there is a Considines rd but its over near Lake Modewarre.

Trying to send us off the end of a pier without a paddle are we :)
"twang....thud"

Mick Smith

#29 Post by Mick Smith » Wed May 27, 2009 4:22 pm

:oops: :oops: That's what happens when you rely on an ageing and sometime faulty brain. I thought I could do it 'off the top of my head', apparently I can't. :D

Yes mate, Chocranes Rd it is!!!

Now, I'll have to amend all my posts. :wink:

Mick

Mick Smith

#30 Post by Mick Smith » Wed May 27, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi Abaci

I will be great to see you there. I know you will give the women a run for their money in the prize stakes. :wink:

Mick