Black Griffins - 2008 Traditional Archery Clout championship

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

White Hawk

Black Griffins - 2008 Traditional Archery Clout championship

#1 Post by White Hawk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:04 pm

Hi All,
The Black Griffin Traditional Archers would like to announce it will be hosting this event on October 4th 2008. We are going to be running it according to AA clout rules with ten ring scoring and distances etc. The day will conclude with a short display of English Warbow shooting for all to see this very unique style of archery.

For more information please see attached flyer.

kind regards

Gavin
Attachments
TRADCloutchampionships08a.pdf
(77.98 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Last edited by White Hawk on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

hue

Re: Black Griffins - 2008 Traditional Archery Clout championship

#2 Post by hue » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:32 pm

Hey Gav.

what have i ever done to you, why would you want to bore us with a display of "warbows"? if i want to watch people shake, i'll look at myself in the mirror on sunday morning.

Hue
I can only be who I am

Len

#3 Post by Len » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:08 pm

Anyone who is anyone in trad archery in Australia should be at this event , its the only event I know of that will give trad archers a chance to have a legit title comparable to other organisations events and to really show their abilities.
Hmmmmmmm.............

White Hawk

#4 Post by White Hawk » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:13 am

its OK Hue if your feelin' a bit old to take up the warbow tis alright, there will be knitting and cups a tea a plenty for you on the day... you should go for a nigh nighs now... :lol:
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:03 pm

This event is going to be lots of fun. Clout shooting gets into your blood. I think it's a very pure form of archery. It takes loads of concentration and determination to maintain a consistant form and technique for a whole day of shooting.

It's always great to watch those arrows arching through the air towards the clout. 8)

I hope to see many fellow Ozbowers there. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

jfruitcake

#6 Post by jfruitcake » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:42 am

Yes it should be great so why is it on the same weekend as one of the biggest re-enactment events in Victoria :cry:
- Taminick is always the last weekend of the school holidays in Victoria. This is an event for Black Powder, and usually over 100 attend. We shall be in Taminick I have my gun licence now boys, after you have seen me shoot arrows that should scare everyone :D

Off to combat archery in Kinglake today...................... shooting at bears is so much fun :-)

See you all in November at Gippsland, hope that is still on???

Michelle.........................
Michelle, John & 3 three getting bloody big rugrats

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:49 pm

That's a real pity Michelle, I'm sure you would have enjoyed a day of clout shooting. It's very hard to find a day that's suitable for everyone.

To everyone else out there, if you think you would like to sample a very enjoyble and relaxing form of archery as well as getting to see some of our traditional Victorian clout champions 'strutting their stuff', all you have to do is drop in. We will make you more than welcome. The venue is on the Northern edge of suburban Geelong, so it won't take you long to get there from Melbourne.

I guarantee that if you've never tried clout shooting before, once you've attended this event it won't be the last time that you enjoy it. It's very addictive. 8)

I hope to see YOU there. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Don't forget all you people out there. :wink: If you're interested in attending this clout event and if you haven't already done so, could you please let us know that you are coming? :)

We need to have a rough idea of the number of people who plan to attend for catering supply purposes.

Even if you don't normally shoot clout, it will be worth your while to drop in and have a go. It really is great fun. 8)

Mick

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:36 pm

The 2008 Traditional Archery Clout championship is only 18 sleeps away now. :shock:

I hope to see you there on Oct 4th. :wink:

Mick

morgan

#10 Post by morgan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Let it be known that i will be there :D
"What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived".

timbow

#11 Post by timbow » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:19 pm

l was really looking forward to beating Leigh but unfortunately l started a new job and have too work this bloody saturday.
Hope it goes well ,plenty of pics would be good .

Tim.

Trad Bound

#12 Post by Trad Bound » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:31 pm

Thank god Timbow's not coming now we have a chance of going away with something. Seriously Timbow I'll miss you, your good conversation and your companionship. I hope to make it to Morwell I hope you might be there. All the best with the Job catch you soon mate. Cheers TonyJ

morgan

#13 Post by morgan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:31 am

timbow wrote:l was really looking forward to beating Leigh but unfortunately l started a new job and have too work this bloody saturday.
Hope it goes well ,plenty of pics would be good .

Tim.

What was that tim? *cough, cough* , you don't sound too well mate :D

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:05 pm

Not to worry Tim, you can beat Leigh the next time. :D

I'm sad that you're not going to be able to make it to our clout event, but I suppose your new job should come first. We'll catch up at the Great Southern Shoot at Morwell in the near future :wink:

Mick

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:19 pm

By the way folks, the 2008 Traditional Archery Clout Championship is ..... TOMORROW!! 8)

I hope to see YOU there!!! :wink:

Mick

Mick Smith

#16 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:36 pm

Well, our little clout event is all over and done with. :D I think it was a successful event. The weather was fine, in fact I ended up getting quite sunburnt. We had heaps of people turn up, some from as far away as Queensland and New South Wales. Everything ran smoothly.

Our plan, to make the event suitable for everyone, was to have three distances, 100 metres for juniors, 125 metres for competitors with 45# or less bows and 145 metres for everyone else.

As I expected, there were some fine displays of shooting at the event. I can't remember all the winners and place getters, but I know that White Hawk (Gav) won the open trad bow division, with Southern Fox (Leigh) coming second. Len won the historical bow division. David Partridge won the 'intermediate' division. Hopefully someone with access to our records will be able to advise us who the remaining winner and placegetters were. Well done to all our winners and place getters. :wink:

I'd like to thank everyone who turned up to the event. Thanks ladies, gentlemen and children. :wink: We really appreciate the support!! We even had 'Ole Silver' (Steve) turn up and that was great! This was our first official event for the Black Griffins Traditional Archery club. It certainly won't be our last.

Mick

hue

#17 Post by hue » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:14 pm

yeah, right Timbow?

new job hey. what kind of an excuse is that?

Barka, barka barka barka, chicken man!

Hey Tim, you gonna be at the two day, wouldn't be the same without ya man!

Hue
I can only be who I am

Len

#18 Post by Len » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:23 am

Well done to the Black Griffins for holding and running a very good comp, was a great day which really is no surprise as the guys from down that way are all very experienced archers and good blokes as well.
I really think its important for trad comps like these to be held because it makes our form of archery comp just as legit as AV and AA events. I know a lot of you will disagree with my thoughts on this and novellty and hunting style shoots are great fun and important but to be taken seriously we need to run these sort of events which are a direct comparison/alternative to the fita style stuff.
Any photos from the day ?
Hmmmmmmm.............

morgan

#19 Post by morgan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:00 am

One of the best shoots i have been too! Well done guys!! The competition for open mens was so hotly contested and close it made very excitmenting! Great company, good weather and a fun day, who can ask for more :D

On a side note the first display of Warbow Australia over the lunch break was a great success with heaps of interest and at least a couple of guys stating their intentions to join.

Well done Black Griffins for running a great event, Trad Archery in Victoria just keeps getting bigger and better :D :D

I'll post some photos soon.

Len

#20 Post by Len » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:01 pm

Something I ment to say this morning was how well the two bow classes worked, traditional and historical. Simple and easy to make work and very fair, it should be adopted all over the country, would make comparisions of events simple.
Hmmmmmmm.............

GrahameA

#21 Post by GrahameA » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Len
Len wrote:.
I really think its important for trad comps like these to be held because it makes our form of archery comp just as legit as AV and AA events. ... we need to run these sort of events which are a direct comparison/alternative to the fita style stuff.
Or we need to shoot in FITA Events with Trad Gear.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Len

#22 Post by Len » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:11 pm

G'day Grahame, thats an interesting idea. Imagine a fita event where most of the archers had trad gear :lol:
Hmmmmmmm.............

hue

#23 Post by hue » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:47 pm

i have asked you Len, imagine if 30% or more of the archers were trad? interesting prospect!
I can only be who I am

rodney macdonald

#24 Post by rodney macdonald » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:03 pm

To all the Black Griffins,
Thank you all for organizing a truely great day of archery
I will be back again the next time you hold a Trad Clout championship..

Rod MAc

Mick Smith

#25 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:05 pm

It was great to see you there Rod. :wink:

I'm sure there will be a 2009 Traditional Archery Clout championship following the positive responses from our initial event.

We will time the next clout event to fall at about the same time of the year, as it falls about 6 months before/after the AV Victorian Clout Titles. This should enable everyone to hone their clout skills right throughout the year.

The Black Griffins have a strong desire to promote future clout events, as we have many keen devotees of this historic, addictive and fun archery event. 8)

Mick

morgan

#26 Post by morgan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:33 am

The Black Griffins have a strong desire to promote future clout events, as we have many keen devotees of this historic, addictive and fun archery event.
Well said Mick :D