Black Griffins open day - Sunday August 31st (Geelong)

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Black Griffins open day - Sunday August 31st (Geelong)

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:02 pm

What's on offer?

A challenging 15 target 3D round in a wonderful natural bushland setting.

An exciting aerial disk flu-flu event (we have plenty of spare flu-flus).

A unique and exciting moving 3D target event.

This is not really an interclub event, as such, it's more an invitation to you to come and share one of our club shoots with us. Would you like an enjoyable afternoon shooting our extensive range of 3D targets? Would you like to share in the excitement and thrills of moving targets? Well, its easy, just show up at the Jarvis Oval Deakin University Waurn Ponds Geelong (Melway's map 464 H7) at around midday. There's no need to be a member of any club. There's no obligation to the Black Griffins Traditional Archery club. The entry fee is as cheap as dirt, just $5 to cover the wear and tear on our 3D targets and that's it. We will ask all visitors to sign an insurance cover form, but there's no fee for this.

We will have some cold drinks and snacks available. There's the usual array of fast food outlets within a kilometre or so of the venue. So you could buy your lunch on the way, or just bring your own.

We're not offering any prizes, but your scores will be recorded if you wish. If you wish to join in with one of our customery practices whereby each competitor donates a gold coin into a 'pot', and the winner of each separate event takes all, you're more than welcome to and by the same token, if you don't want to, well that doesn't matter either.

So, if you're just itching to shoot some 3D targets and you simply can't wait for the next 3D trad event, why don't you make the drive to our pretty 3D venue and do the next best thing? We will make you more than welcome. :wink:

I hope to see you there. I can assure you, it will be a fun day. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

hue

Re: Black Griffins open day - Sunday August 31st (Geelong)

#2 Post by hue » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:28 pm

now how much money can i win? hmmmmm? should be an easy take!
I can only be who I am

longbowinfected

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:57 pm

You are in trouble now Hue.
No prepared questions to answer.
No TV coverage.
Professionals not allowed.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:28 pm

Hey Hue, it will be great to share a round or two with you mate. :wink:

After you've won a couple of pots, all your travelling costs will be recouped too. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

hardgainer

#5 Post by hardgainer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:45 am

Gold Gold ....I shall be there :evil: :evil: .
Mick... do you need a extra 3D animal if so lets know.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:23 pm

Yes Tony, a gold purse! :D

It sounds sorta medieval, doesn't it? Like something straight out of Robin Hood.

If you've got plenty of room in the car and it's not too much of an inconvenience, it would be great if you could bring it along. Afterall, the more targets, the merrier. 8)

Don't forget your flu-flus mate. It will be great to see you. :wink:

Mick

hue

#7 Post by hue » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:37 pm

Het Kev.

what's this about "prepared" questions?
i won that dough on pure talent ( and blind luck)

Hue
I can only be who I am

longbowinfected

#8 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:34 pm

Certainly no aspersions on your integrity mate. You are a publically acclaimed champion, mate.
I was in Malaysia when you were on TV. I impressed the heck out of my mates in Malaysia when I yelled out that I knew you.
They were even more impressed when they found out that we were traditional archers.
When you won they went berserk. You are a cult hero in Kuala Lumpur.
I ate well that week.
Questions asked on the spur of the moment being like conversation, chatter and banter, like here.
Prepared meaning written up by a TV show quizmaster or mistress or two.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:30 pm

I just heard the weather forecast for next Sunday. It's going to be a pearler of a day. :D Just the sort of day you would want to be out, punching holes in 3D targets in Geelong. 8)

Mick

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:53 pm

The weather forecast for this Sunday doesn't look quite as rosey as what it did last Sunday. I think the 7 day weather forecasts are really a waste of time. Too much can happen in 7 days. :?

Anyway, the weather mightn't be too bad. The rain is supposed to fall mainly on Saturday night, with an easing to showers on Sunday morning. Hopefully it will turn out to be a nice day for us in the afternoon. 8)

I know we already have quite a few people who have committed to attend Sunday's shoot. We will have a great day regardless of the weather. It might pay to pack your raincoats just in case. :wink:

I look forward to catching up with everyone there. :D

Mick

kerrille

#11 Post by kerrille » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:14 pm

Oh mick I wish. i hope you all have a great day

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Thanks Nev. :wink:

I'm sure it will be a great day. Any day spent with a bow in your hand is guaranteed to be a great day. :D

See you at the Ballarat shoot in November. :wink:

Mick

Mick Smith

#13 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:06 pm

Well, we had a really good day today! The weather wasn't as good as it could have been, but we had some long periods when it wasn't raining. The sun even shone on several occasions.

I'd like to thank everyone who made the effort to turn up for today's shoot. We had quite a few keen archers who travelled from Melbourne in very uncertain weather conditions to join us. Thanks fellas! :wink:

We had 18 archers on the line at one stage, which isn't a bad effort. It was great to be able to catch up with my old cobbers again.

I was going to take some photos to post here on Ozbow, but I was simply having too much fun to even think about getting the camera out. :D

We promoted today's shoot as an 'open day', but the truth is, every Black Griffin shoot is an 'open day', so if you're ever in the Geelong area, be sure to drop in and say g'day to us. :wink: We will make you more than welcome. :D

Mick

Trad Bound

#14 Post by Trad Bound » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:51 pm

Mick and the Black Griffins
Thanks for a good day, Archery and companion wise. Weather @#*@! look forward to October. Take that Whip of Gavin those flying disks he was on fire.
Once again thank you.
TonyJ

White Hawk

#15 Post by White Hawk » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:29 am

A great day was had by all, (despite needing wetsuits) and a big thank you should go out to all who made the long journey to shoot with us, Tony S, Tony J, Les, Barry, Tom, Hue and all the others who took the time to come and support us. We appreciate it, and hope you enjoyed the day. How much fun is that moving target!?

ps: thank you to all at BG's who came early set the course and packed it all up again in the mud!

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

hardgainer

#16 Post by hardgainer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:11 pm

Great shoot Gav....My only complaint.. how the heck in the flying disk can I get a good shot at Mick if he keeps ducking beehind the screen :twisted:

Mick Smith

#17 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:06 pm

Tony, I was wondering why you left your shot so late and why your arrow just skimmed over the top of the protective shield. :shock: :D

I reckon shooting bowbirds is one of the most fun things you can do with a bow. After each and every throw there's always heaps of 'oohhs and aaahhhs' as arrows just miss their marks. There's a real knack to hitting them. 8)

Tony J (Trad Bound) did very well on the moving 3D target round, winning it. Some nice shooting there mate. :wink:

Mick