Traditional Archery Divisions

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

How many Divisions

Poll ended at Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:39 pm

2 divisions (pre-fibreglass era) Historical division and (post fibreglass era) Modern Bow
33%
3 divisions Modern Longbow , Modern Recurve and Primitive/Traditional division
67%

Total votes: 45

kerrille

#61 Post by kerrille » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:44 pm

what about me it isnt fair, cos i make woods and stick 2 or 3 inches of aluminium on the end and they shoot reasonably well .my boys call them my frankinstine arrows.
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

TomW

#62 Post by TomW » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:18 am

My reasons for favouring a 2 Div system is that I do not feel that the bows are the issue. If we are talking all timber bows, they all seem to perform pretty much the same in terms of how fast they will project an arrow for a given draw weight and length. Ditto with the fibreglass era bows. There is very little difference performance wise between recurve, straight bow, DF/RF (or t'other way around??) and horsebow.

Any minor performance difference in either division can be made up for by going to a slightly heavier draw weight, if one is serious about getting good performance.

The arrows are the key element. There is only one way to be fair to everyone and that is to insist on wood arrows. This brings everyone back to the field regardless of the bow being used. However, give a choice of aluminium/carbon arrows and it's a whole new ballgame.

Regardless of the bow type the alloy/carbon arrows will always have a marked advantage over wood arrows and that is an easily verfiable fact.
Therefore if the arrow type is limited to wood, then it really doesn't matter if there are two bow divisions or a dozen because the performances won't be all that different from one to the other (except that perhaps a modern metal riser, high tech carbon limbs target recurve might have an advantage only because of it being fully centre cut and provided with a quality arrow rest and cushion plunger).

If arrows are limited to wood, then it is my belief that regardless of the bow type, the best results will come from those with the best form and THAT is the real test - or ought to be. :D
"You want me to do WHAT???"
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.