Nth Albert - Day 2

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Nth Albert - Day 2

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Day 1 photos

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6169

Afternoon All

Day Two consisted of another set of targets on Ranges 1 & 2 with a few small variations. After that it was Lunch (Crikey those Hamburgers are good) followed by the Hawkeye. I piked and headed for home after lunch and before the Hawkeye.

Today I shot my Mongolian - short bows are great in the scrub - and even shot more arrows! :shock: (Skipped the Watery Death Scene though.) It is amazing how my score goes up when I put the camera away.

So for those who didn't make it here is a trip around Range 1. I seem to remember we started at Target 9 and progress around - shotguns starts are confusing. (Same group as yesterday.) I have tried to get behind the archer so you can appreciate what the shot was like - and they were all further than what they seemed.
Attachments
The end result.
The end result.
15.jpg (43.82 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
The Cougar is about to get it.
The Cougar is about to get it.
14.jpg (47.74 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
The Cougar
The Cougar
13.jpg (59.63 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (58.07 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (59.99 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
4 Targets set in a deep ravine.  You shot from 4 seperate pegs and if you could not allow for the steep angle you missed.
4 Targets set in a deep ravine. You shot from 4 seperate pegs and if you could not allow for the steep angle you missed.
10.jpg (63.65 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Occasionally I even end up in front of the camera.
Occasionally I even end up in front of the camera.
09.jpg (74.8 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
My Arrow is in the target.
My Arrow is in the target.
08.jpg (47.07 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Dings'd arrow is in the target and John is about to put his into the tree behind it.
Dings'd arrow is in the target and John is about to put his into the tree behind it.
07.jpg (66.46 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
Shane' arrow has just hit the target.  This target had a nice surprise - long grass that had been pushed over during a flood at some stage.  It raised the art of arrow finding to a new level as the misses buried themselves in the grass with nothing visibl
Shane' arrow has just hit the target. This target had a nice surprise - long grass that had been pushed over during a flood at some stage. It raised the art of arrow finding to a new level as the misses buried themselves in the grass with nothing visibl
06.jpg (92.74 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
Ding has just put his arrow over the target.
Ding has just put his arrow over the target.
05.jpg (44.86 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
If you look carefully you can see Shane's arrow neatly clearing the target.  But at least it was easy to find.  :-)
If you look carefully you can see Shane's arrow neatly clearing the target. But at least it was easy to find. :-)
04.jpg (36.49 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
That's John's arrow.
That's John's arrow.
03a.jpg (42.15 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
John was up first and misjudged the range badly.  He will pay the penalty.
John was up first and misjudged the range badly. He will pay the penalty.
03.jpg (60.67 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
Not as easy as it looks.
Not as easy as it looks.
02.jpg (39.43 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
Shane is going to be in the target.
Shane is going to be in the target.
01.jpg (55.57 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
Last edited by GrahameA on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mike-dy

#2 Post by Mike-dy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:38 pm

Looks like a nice course Graham, pity about the Do Not copy signs you have all over the place, they detract from the scenery a bit :D :D :D :D
Cheers,
Mike

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi Mike

The course was good. The targets in the gully were better than the ones on the flat. It is alwaysd nice to have a backstop - the other alternative being to just hit the target.

For some reason Both Ding and I had trouble getting the distance correct - I blame my camera. We could nail the ones in the gully but not so good with ones on the flat.

Personally, my opinion is that the dappling affects you distance estimation - and considering I only shoot 3D a couple of times per year I really suffer.

Personally I would strongly reccommend people living in SE Qld to come along to next years event if they do not have something else planned. It is just a great fun time.

The Do Not Copy signs. My apology - http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6293

It is one of those things and it is still annoying me.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Jeffro

#4 Post by Jeffro » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:54 pm

Yeh good photos Grahame,how are you getting the in flight shots are they single frames from a movie clip?
I agree about the do not copy bit and wonder why anyone would copy them .

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:14 pm

Jeffro

I can get them by just timing the shot. I wait until I hear the release from the bow and them press the shutter. I set the camera up so that it is focused on the target and I generally use single point focus. The time of flight is long enough to get the arrow somewhere between the archer and the target and usually it will be near the target.

In case of the Bow-Birds I just tracked it from the throw and let the camera shoot 5 frames around 0.25 seconds apart.

The running pig is a tad harder. In some cases I asked the archer where they were going to shoot the pig and then positioned myself to get the shot and pressed the shutter as the Pig comes into view - which hopefully coincides with archer taking the shot. I other cases it is just a matter of taking a wide shoot and hitting the shutter button and shooting a few frames off when you think the Archer will take the shot.

It is a bit like shooting Batters in Softball. I can time the shot - from experience - so that I have the ball in shot 9 out of 10 times. You can become quiet good at this stuff if you do a bit of practice and think a bit about what is going to happen. There is a really good book on Sports Photography - and I cannot remember its name - and it talks a lot about setting yourself up for where the action will likely happen. Which generally means you need to understand the sport and be patient and remain alert for the shot..
Grahame.

kerrille

#6 Post by kerrille » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:17 pm

good pics again i went out to my new club today and had a go at field targets for the first time .....I know how you feel . I just wish the scenery was as good as yours . and i loved that fox quiver
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:45 pm

You captured some great shots over the weekend Grahame. Thanks for posting them up.

Jeff

Len

#8 Post by Len » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:57 pm

Great photos Grahame, well done. I really liked the pics of the guy using a longbow with saxon style arrows, great stuff and good on him.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Jeffro

#9 Post by Jeffro » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:00 pm

Are the results available yet?

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:55 am

Hi Jeffro

No idea. They will probably go up on the North Albert Field Archers site.

http://www.northalbert.com/
Grahame.

little arrows

#11 Post by little arrows » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:18 pm

brilliant shoot once again, huge big THANK YOU to everyone at North Albert. We had a great time and it was good putting Ozbow names and faces together, and catching up with everyone - great photo's too Grahame.
sue

danceswithdingoes

#12 Post by danceswithdingoes » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Darryl and the gang did a great job again, see ya next year :D
ImageImage

Chase N. Nocks

#13 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:49 am

Yes it was a great shoot. I really enjoyed it. Pity I wasn't able to camp, but wife 7 months pregnant and uncomfortable enough as it is. Had the pleasure of meeting new people, catching up with out mates and like Sue said, put faces to names. Great photos aswell Graeme. I forgot to bring the camcorder both days. Do'h!! Next shoot for sure, I'll make a list.

The crew at North Albert, well done! Hospitality, food and courses were all excellent. The 4 targets in the gully and the water shot A1. Good on ya>

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

bent stick mick

#14 Post by bent stick mick » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:21 pm

What a great weekend !
Well Done, NAFA, I thoroughly enjoyed the entire shoot, it has set the standard for all to follow
The novelty events were great fun and the ranges were really enjoyable and somewhat challenging at times.
Great phots Grahame, and your right, even Shrek can be made to look good.