Clout distance change on Agenda

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

#31 Post by longbow steve » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:50 am

Glad you are going to be able to continue shooting Simon.
I Hope you can come as we are sharing a target for field with some scary South Australians of questionable repute.
I will also be shooting with Gav for the Target side of thing.
Steve

White Hawk

#32 Post by White Hawk » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:00 am

Excellent Steve, we are shooting on the same target eh? 2 ozbowers together! We really need ozbow t-shirts eh?

You can come and help me find my arrows behind the target at 60m!

see you there!

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

longbow steve

#33 Post by longbow steve » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:31 am

Look forward to helping you find your arrows Gav :D. I expect the same help though. :lol:
Steve

Brumbies Country

#34 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:42 pm

longbow steve wrote:Glad you are going to be able to continue shooting Simon.
I Hope you can come as we are sharing a target for field with some scary South Australians of questionable repute.
I will also be shooting with Gav for the Target side of thing.
Steve
I agree the South Australians do generally look scary and the buggers turn up to longbow AA Championships in bigger numbers than the rest of us. I'm glad to report that the scary appearance is actually compensated for by the nature of the Redbacks and they turn out to be very approachable people. Questionable repute, yes, well maybe :lol: .

Simon

Mick Smith

#35 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:10 pm

longbow steve wrote
also Mick Smiths creation off battle clout is at a reduced distance.
Well Steve, I suppose it sort of is at a reduced distance, but the initial 6 ends of 6 arrows will be shot at the full 145 metres, only afterwards will the ranges be reduced by 20 metres per round, until we reach 60 metres. The reducing range decision was included to mimic what would probably happen in a real battle toward the end as the combatants closed in. There was some talk about reducing the initial distances, but this didn't amount to anything, other than the allowing the use of aluminium arrows for this one particular event. :)

Just to set the record straight. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

longbow steve

#36 Post by longbow steve » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:27 pm

My apologies Mick, My point was that there seems to be clout shoots of lesser distances available at Trad shoots etc if people are inclined to want an shorter option.
Hi Simon, Do they look scary aswell :shock: , If I wasnt nervous before I am now.
Are Sth Australian called Redbacks? They are only questionable until I meet them or they start posting on OZBOW.
Steve

longbow steve

#37 Post by longbow steve » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:52 am

Hi All,

Thank you for your comments,

I have received a number of comments to this motion; they will be added to others and presented to the next AA Board meeting.

A bit of background, following a request from a number of longbow archers, I was asked by an Archery Australia Board member to formulate a motion to obtain members views, the motion is not my views or opinion in any way, I ask that any comments be restricted to the motion and no directed against me personally.

Jim Larven
I recieved another reply from AA, we need refrain from making our responses too passionate, numbers is enough. It is simply a motion put to the board for review and not from the board.

Steve

John Allan

#38 Post by John Allan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:30 pm

Hi all,
I am for sticking with the distance as it is. The whole idea of clout is shooting the distance. It began as practice for battlefield archery and was called shooting for length. The target was a cloth on the ground and gives us the name. It is a challenge but that is why we do it. If the wind is blowing a bit then it is blowing for the other shooters also. With the right arrow setup a longbow in the low 40s will make 145m no problem. A recurve in the 20s will also get there.
Rather than lower the standard of the event a handycap system can be used for those that can not get the distance and they shoot at a shorter range.There are already age groups at AA tournaments. I find clout to be the most social of the events as you have time to chat with people and have a bit of banter. You can have an afternoon nap while the compounders finish the end. Well that is my 2c worth.

Regards
John

longbow steve

#39 Post by longbow steve » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:31 am

Hi John, thanks for your input. Make sure you send it to AA aswell.
Made any bows of late? Steve

GrahameA

#40 Post by GrahameA » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:34 am

Morning All

From the latest AA News
News from the Board

LONGBOW CLOUT

Recently a motion was circulated concerning Clout distances
for longbows, the intention of the original motion
was to receive feedback, and we received an over welling
response.

The general response was that Open division remain
unchanged although there were a number of comments
that aged divisions should be changed.

The Board proposes the following changes to distances.
Open – 145m men – 125m women
Masters and Veteran – 125m men – 100m women
Junior Male – 145m Junior Female – 125m
Cadet Male 125m Cadet Women – 100m
Intermediate Boys and Girls – 80m
Club Boys and Girls – 80m

The Archery Australia Board is seeking further comment
before formal presentation as a motion. Comments
should be sent to archeryaustralia@bigpond.com by
15th April 2008.
See also this post.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=54307#54307
Last edited by GrahameA on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Brumbies Country

#41 Post by Brumbies Country » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:56 am

Hi Grahame

Good to see that they got an overwhelming response. There is obviously plenty of longbow interest out there :lol:

Simon