BATTLE CLOUT Traditional Event - May 18th - Melbourne

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Re: BATTLE CLOUT Traditional Event - May 18th - Melbourne

#241 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:54 pm

That's no good Nev. :?

Let's hope it's not as serious as your mechanic thinks. :wink:

I hope it doesn't interfere with you being able to join us at the Battleclout. I'm looking forward to catching up with you there.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

kerrille

#242 Post by kerrille » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:38 pm

Mate i''ll bloody walk if i have to .....nev
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

morgan

#243 Post by morgan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:15 pm

Chase that up with Nissan. There is something in Warrantees called 'reasonable life or fair use' or something that says if an item breaks just outside of the warrantee period they must still come to the party due to a reasonable life of use outside said period. It should stand up as long as no modifications were done to the motor and it was always serviced by a licensed mechanic. The ombudsman should be able to help.
"What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived".

Mick Smith

#244 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 04, 2008 1:22 pm

Well people, I've been a very busy boy. I've just finished making up 38 shield supports for the Battleclout event. Of course, I'll be bringing them along to the event for everyone who wants to, to use them.

I've made 3 distinctly different supports. The first lot are made of bits and pieces that I had laying around at home. They look a bit rough and ready, but they will certainly do the job. In fact they're probably the most robust of all of them.

You will notice some with white arrows as cross pieces, these supports were made to perform two tasks. They will make excellent shield supports, as well as be useful direction markers for when we have our first interclub Black Griffin 3D event. The white arrows are made of heavy coreflute material and they can be adjusted to point left of right, as they swivel in the middle.

The last lot are some I made as a bit of an experiment. They are made from half inch square garden stakes with a cross piece screwed into place. I had to buy 10 stakes, as that was how many were in the packet. The bad news is, they will break fairly easily. I set one up in my backyard, complete with shield and shot it at close range with my 52# longbow. It could take hits down low on the shield alright, but the stake snapped when I directed an arrow into the upper part of the shield. I'll bring them along anyway, as they might not break when the arrow has lost a good proportion of it's energy at 145 metres, or we could simply use two of them, instead of just one per shield.

So, as you can see, it's all happening and it's full steam ahead for the battleclout in a fortnight. How's your shield coming along? :wink:

Mick
Attachments
Battleclout supports.JPG
Battleclout supports.JPG (46.69 KiB) Viewed 6675 times
Battleclour supports and markers.JPG
Battleclour supports and markers.JPG (49.49 KiB) Viewed 6675 times
Battleclout support from rear.JPG
Battleclout support from rear.JPG (58.76 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
Battleclout shield.JPG
Battleclout shield.JPG (56.04 KiB) Viewed 6655 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#245 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 04, 2008 7:17 pm

Just a couple of things.

I've been thinking that it might not be a bad idea to have a 'King's' shield centered within the other shields for each army. The 'King's' shield would be placed in the exact centre of each group of shields. Of course, the real king would be wearing only the best armour and any arrows hitting him, would just bounce off, so you wouldn't be able to eliminate the king. If you were a good enough shot to be able to hit the King's shield, you would earn yourself 5 points on your individual score sheet, instead of the one point for a hit on any other shield. What do you think? Would it make this event even more exciting?

The other thing I had in mind, was to ask every competitor to write their name somewhere that's obvious on their shield. That way, if it takes a few hits, the people who did the damage know who to see to ensure the correct number of arrows have been forfeited. Plus if there happens to be a particularly good shot there, it will be good to know which shield to concentrate on hitting to put them out of the battle a bit quicker than might otherwise be the case.

Less than two weeks away now folks. :wink:

Mick

morgan

#246 Post by morgan » Mon May 05, 2008 7:54 pm

I like the idea of a kings shield. What colours would we do it? I liked Lens idea of to two english camps from war of the roses, want to weigh in here len and suggest coats of arms? If I can source another sheild i could have time to paint one up if needed :D
"What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived".

kerrille

#247 Post by kerrille » Tue May 06, 2008 11:19 am

gday mick got my mechanics report back to day ,jammed rings apparently my old mechanic put the wrong oil in it and jammed everything up .so should be ready thursday night or friday morning so allsgood

...nev
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Mick Smith

#248 Post by Mick Smith » Wed May 07, 2008 7:35 pm

G'day Nev,

That's good news mate. At least it shouldn't cost as much as you originally thought. I like they way you talked about your first mechanic as your 'old' mechanic. I think I would too, under the same circumstances. :D

Come over and introduce yourself when you get to the Battleclout. I'll be trying to help organise the shield targets, most likely.

Just 10 days to go. 8)

Mick

Mick Smith

#249 Post by Mick Smith » Wed May 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi Morgan,

If we decide to go with having King's shields, I don't think the colour will matter all that much. I suppose it would be nice to have something that looked nice and 'royal'. The shield will have to be obviously the King's shield though, as competitors will need to be able to differenciate it easily for scoring purposes.

The thing I like about the King's shield idea is that it will reward the best shooters with the best scores. The King's shield would be placed directly in front of the flag which will be used as the primary aiming point, so in effect, a hit on the King's shield will represent a close to perfect shot.

I've got a spare boogie board that I haven't painted up yet, so I'll paint it in regal colours to use as one of the King's shields. If someone can do the other King's shield, we will be organised for the day. :D

Mick

hue

#250 Post by hue » Wed May 07, 2008 8:15 pm

Hue here guys

KEEP IT SIMPLE fellas, you can always modify and add at later tournaments after the bugs have been elliminated

Hue
I can only be who I am

Mick Smith

#251 Post by Mick Smith » Wed May 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Yeah, you're probably right there Hue. :wink:

There's going to be a lot of information for people to digest already without adding more. I suppose we could slot the King's shields into place, but not alter the scoring process.

It's a bit of a pain to find guidelines for this event on this thread, as there's 9 pages to read through. As the event is getting close, it might be a good idea to refresh everone's memory of what they can expect on the day, as far as the rules are concerned.

Here's a quick run down on the guidelines for the event -

(1) Every competitor should start off with just 6 arrows in their quiver (Spare arrows should be available in the case of breakage).
(2) When the safety officer says its safe to do so, shoot all your 6 arrows into your opponents shields (if you can).
(3) After everyone has shot their 6 arrows and when instructed that it's safe to proceed, walk very carefully to the shield area to avoid damaging any arrows sticking into the ground.
(4) Proceed to the 'enemy' shields first and see if you've managed to inflict any damage to them with your arrows.
(5) Leave any of your arrows that have struck enemy shields in place until the owner of that shield has placed their equivalent number of their arrows immediately behind their shield. Ensure that your 'victim's' arrows are correctly surrendered before commencing any further rounds.
(6) Pick up all your arrows that have missed their target.
(7) Walk over to your personal shield target and count the number of arrows that have struck it and then place the equivalent number of your arrows immediately behind your shield.
(8) Complete your personal score sheet with the details for that round. This will include the number of arrows that you've shot this round, plus the number of your hits on enemy shields.
(9) Walk back to the shooting line with your remaining arrows.
(10) Commence the next round exactly the same as the first. The only difference might be the number of arrows that you've got to shoot (depending on how many hit's you've taken).
(11) Battles can end at any time depending on circumstances. The team with the least number of surrendered arrows on the ground, behind their shields, will be deemed the winning team of that battle.
(12) Individual competitors scores will be based on their performance for the whole day, not particular battles. The winner of the best shooter title will be the competitor with the highest success ratio of their hits on enemy shields to the total number of their arrows loosed. There will be prizes for best male, female and junior shooters.

If anyone has any questions, or if I've managed to leave something out, please let me know. :wink: :D

See you there!!

Mick

hardgainer

#252 Post by hardgainer » Sat May 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Tremendous work Mick in the rule for the shoot and the shield support crosses....the supports will futher serve a additional task of placing at the head of the grave sites of the demolished English bowmen as they wilt under the barrage of "The New Mercenarys". Burial by Yarra side permitted (Hue do you take Francs) :lol: .......
Mick.. will we see the Bogman and Gav and Leigh as the Yeoman Bowman plus LMS in full flight.
Who will be wearing the gear :?: .
"Fuyez un ennemi qui sait vortre default"

White Hawk

#253 Post by White Hawk » Sat May 10, 2008 9:25 pm

yes Hardgainer, we will be dressing for war. Lets take to the field and see what fate decides... will be a great spectical if nothing else.
Look forward to seeing you there.

you wont be too upset if I put some holes in that nice shield of yours...!? :lol:

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

hardgainer

#254 Post by hardgainer » Sat May 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Thanks White Hawk....I will dress for War...My Shield will take the arrow's well sent...A task for bows with limbs well bent...
Tony S.

hue

#255 Post by hue » Sun May 11, 2008 10:53 am

hey Hardgainer

no worries at all Monsieur, by the time these english cochons drop, we should be so fatigued we'll barely have enough strength to open the beer at the end of the rout. Gotta be careful here, also a member of the Black Griffins - don't quite know their allegience here.

Hue
I can only be who I am

Len

#256 Post by Len » Sun May 11, 2008 11:52 am

The Black Griffins allegience is to the Black Prince and the English crown any thoughts of otherwise means they're traitors and will be dealt with as such ! Maybe hang, drawn and quartered ?
Hmmmmmmm.............

kerrille

#257 Post by kerrille » Sun May 11, 2008 4:19 pm

Do i get to be a black griffin befor or after the shoot :) .....nev

aroadik

#258 Post by aroadik » Sun May 11, 2008 6:26 pm

Brilliant !!!!!!!

Mick Smith

#259 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 11, 2008 7:29 pm

Yes Tony, the 'bogman' will make an appearance again at this event. :D

The Black Griffins honed our clout skills today, in readiness for war. :) I think we should be able to maintain a very high ratio of 'kills' to arrows loosed.

One small tip to all competitors intending to go to the Battleclout event. Bring a comfy fold up chair along. We will be on our feet for much of the day and we will be doing lots of walking back and forth between the shooting line and the targets. I can guarantee you will be 'hanging out' for a quick sit down between rounds. Your chair will also serve as a useful place to rest your bow and the rest of your gear while you're away at the targets. Your chair will also ensure that your gear won't be accidently stood on by other competitors. You will be able to place your chair about 4 metres or so behind the shooting line.

Hey Nev, are your thinking of joining the Black Griffins?

Less than a week to go. :shock:

Mick

aroadik

#260 Post by aroadik » Sun May 11, 2008 7:31 pm

Hey Mick, I can not bring a chair on the plane, can I rent one ? regards Peter.

Mick Smith

#261 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 11, 2008 7:34 pm

Yes Peter, I'll bring one for you to use. :wink:

Mick

kerrille

#262 Post by kerrille » Sun May 11, 2008 8:06 pm

Mick you bet, ive already made up a shield with my own griffin insignia just in case.
....nev

aroadik

#263 Post by aroadik » Sun May 11, 2008 8:15 pm

How much ??? :wink:

Mick Smith

#264 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 11, 2008 8:32 pm

What do you mean Peter? How much for the chair rental or how much to join the Black Griffins? :D

The chair rental is free. :wink: Membership to the Black Griffins is a very reasonable $50 per annum. 8) Either way, you couldn't lose. :D

Mick

Mick Smith

#265 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 11, 2008 8:33 pm

Nev, I'd deem it an honour to have you as a member of the Black Griffins. 8)

Mick

kerrille

#266 Post by kerrille » Sun May 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Thankyou i,ll be there early :D :D

aroadik

#267 Post by aroadik » Sun May 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Mick, you may have another member !

hue

#268 Post by hue » Mon May 12, 2008 5:54 pm

hey Kerrille

your motto seems to have got longer, any reason?

Hue
I can only be who I am

kerrille

#269 Post by kerrille » Mon May 12, 2008 6:22 pm

hue . NO i normaly change it from time to time i just forgot to deleat the other one.........nev

Len

#270 Post by Len » Tue May 13, 2008 12:36 pm

Whats the start time ?
Hmmmmmmm.............