Calling all AA longbow target shooters

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Len

#91 Post by Len » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:01 am

Well said Grahame. Some people might be quite surprised with what they can achieve with a medieval style bow and arrows.
Hmmmmmmm.............

longbowinfected

#92 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:11 pm

I started out as a target shooter [compound].
i borrowed a 30 # old English longbow from John MsDonald and had an outfit made up because my club went to Ironfest at Lithgow.....fell in love with the feel......still do the dress up each year and so does the daughter.....graduated to the Hawkesbury trad shoot....love the trad scene....still love target, field and hunting with modern flatbow using timbers.....I think I can shoot 50 - 20 metres as well with my wooden arrows compared to metals....can shoot 60 and 70 metres...working on shooting 90 metres well within the next year with my 43# flatbow.

I owe it all to John McDonald being so generous with one of his favourite keepsake bows.

We all like to watch the flight, with timber which you make yourself I think you "feel" the flight. It's all good, no matter your beginning point.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

BigBenno

#93 Post by BigBenno » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:56 am

G'Day Guys, have just gotten back from a week hunting goats had a ball and ready and rarin to go again.
as to the ruling on wooden arrows for the field, the Nationals are run under FITA rules and FITA recognise longbow, but only in field and only with wooden arrows, so the target and clout are run under AA rules which allow the use of alloy arrows. There has been a push over the past few years to get FITA to recognise longbow in all disciplines, but as yet this has not happened, but when it does I believe that it will be all wooden arrows. I would hate for someone to turn up and shoot a world record which would not be recognised by FITA unless it was shot with wood.

Please keep me informed as to AA's ruling on this as it has been a bone of contention at the last 3 nationals. also we have finally gotten FITA to recognise us as a division, having a lot of attendees will make them look at us and perhaps make them look at recognition in target as well

Thanks Guys
Peter

Brumbies Country

#94 Post by Brumbies Country » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:11 am

Hi Peter

AA's ruling is that aluminiums are allowable as well as woods for the Nationals field.

Re your sentiments that there is a push within FITA for increased longbow that is really good for us longbow devotees. They have been promoting 3Di for around 3 years and the longbow division requires wood shafts for that.

Hey, what's with this shooting a compound business? When I converted from BB recurve to longbow you congratulated me for "shooting a real bow". :lol:

Glad your hunting went well.

Simon

longbow steve

#95 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:00 am

Hi Peter, I recently recieved clarification from Jim Larven re this matter, I beleive it is optional to use woods but alloy arrows are allowed in all Australian events. As Grahame clarified above.
I have searched hi and low to find FITA longbow field World records but cannot locate them, if anyone has a link I would love to see what the scores are.
I have also asked Jim whether Australian Longbow is recognised by FITA for World records if we use timber arrows as it may be worth the switch if this is the case. Steve

longbow steve

#96 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:11 am

Hi I just received a quick reply from Jim Larven regarding the World Longbow records (FITA anything) longbow is recognised only as a recreational pursuit. The only divisions eligible to claim FITA records are Compound,Recurve (sighted) or barebow, You may enter the barebow division but you are up against modern recurves with carbon arrows etc.
Steve

longbow steve

#97 Post by longbow steve » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:40 am

Hi Guys, just looking at the entry list, we have scraped up 12 longbow men and women so far and make up 15% of overall entries :) .
Entries are closing soon if you are still thinking about it.

Steve

longbowinfected

#98 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 am

At this point in time there are now 19 barebow shooters listed [out of 83] as entries in the AA nationals which represents just under 23% of competitors.
I believe that this reflects on an observable upwards trend.
I have been advised that barebow represents 7-10% of the AA population with longbow sector being about half of the barebow sector.
I also believe that the amount of robust discussion on this site and elsewhere has contributted greatly.

Well done people!!!
The close off date is the next few days...more bare bow people needed...hopefully a few more masters and veterans.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#99 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:18 am

Good Morning Kevin and Steve.

Well with all the chatter I guess that makes you the Official Ozbow Correspondents at the Nationals. :D

I now have high expectations from the two of you, lots of photos and reporting of the event - including daily updates of the scores. No need to be bashful you are encouraged to shoot high scores. :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#100 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:56 am

"Chatter"???...... Moi?
I do admit that I was trying to push it hard.
Once again I think you are erring on the side of being polite Grahame.

Thanks....for the portfolio....do we get official vests and accreditation cards? Or do you think they will have sussed us out by now?
Well I guess I will have to take my laptop now.
It would be our pleasure.

Really looking forward to my first National, especially with heaps of bare bow folk going. Cannot wait for the clout.

Kevin

longbow steve

#101 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:14 am

Hi Graeme, I will take plenty of photos.
I invited Simon to stay in our luxurious accomodation near the event but told him to pack earplugs as Kevin snores apparently??? Simon said dont worry I do aswell :shock: I dont think any records will be broken :lol: Just hoping to get some sleep between shooting.
I am looking forward to everything but clout and snoring :(
Steve

longbowinfected

#102 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:54 am

Steve,
that's what you get for hanging around with low life types like longbowers.

Suggestions......Drs Tooth, Toohey, and Professor Bourbon....
last time the blokes tried to get me to poison you you looked like sh** and shot a couple of records.

Too easy.

Kevin

Brumbies Country

#103 Post by Brumbies Country » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:45 pm

longbowinfected wrote:Steve,
that's what you get for hanging around with low life types like longbowers.

Suggestions......Drs Tooth, Toohey, and Professor Bourbon....
last time the blokes tried to get me to poison you you looked like sh** and shot a couple of records.

Too easy.

Kevin
Kevin

You forgot Emeritus Professor Merlot. I promised to bring some after your very good long distance tuition re clout.

Given this variety of alcoholic beverage Steve is going to be unstoppable.

Simon

longbowinfected

#104 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:15 pm

Simon,

sshhhh!
he will hear you.
I had not forgotten....just did not want to share.......I have still got some of Graeme K's glorious elixir de rose....don't tell Steve = dyson = deep electric sponge action
One of the reasons we wanted to give you a lift was to lighten your load and protect you from ambush.........bushrangers about down in Mexico.

How many sleeps to go?
Are we there yet?
I am really looking forward to meeting a lot of these people.

Kevin

GrahameA

#105 Post by GrahameA » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:32 am

Kevin
longbowinfected wrote:"Chatter"???...... Moi?
I do admit that I was trying to push it hard.
Once again I think you are erring on the side of being polite Grahame.

Thanks....for the portfolio....do we get official vests and accreditation cards? Or do you think they will have sussed us out by now?
Well I guess I will have to take my laptop now.
It would be our pleasure.

Really looking forward to my first National, especially with heaps of bare bow folk going. Cannot wait for the clout.

Kevin
I could lend some vests - do you like Fluro Green - Very Fashionable - I have some Fluro Orange ones as well but seem to be out of fashion these last few years. What you really need is a black shirt with Photgrapher across the back, a Canon and a big white lens. I do have a collection of a few Photographer passes :roll:

Seriously, have you considered asking Peter Bennet for Photographer accreditation?
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#106 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:49 am

Grahame
ACCREDITATION
is that required?
i would hate to upset someone if it is.
but as per usual practices doesn't the editor/publisher make that request or provide credentials?
a set of written guidelines from the event manager would be helpful.

VEST
whatever but i do not like the look of the prototype vest you sent me.
The target drawn on the back of the vest is a bit of a worry.
The other worry is that my back would appear larger than the 122cm face down range.

CAMERA
sorry, I have a ten year old CasioQV-8000SX digital 2.8 meg which does a great job taking macro insect shots and attached to my microscopes; it is small and fits in my hand

otherwise
i have a ricoh kr-5sv 35mm with a huge bag of pentax, mackinon screw mounted lenses and filters

guess which one will be taken on to the field if my editor does the paperwork?

BTW
can i keep the vest if i do not get the job?
why aren't there pockets for snacks and drinks?

Kevin

longbow steve

#107 Post by longbow steve » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:03 am

Gee its busy here since you arrived Kevin, I would love to see a graph of site usage since your registration date :lol: :roll:

GrahameA

#108 Post by GrahameA » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:34 am

ACCREDITATION
is that required? Probably not
i would hate to upset someone if it is.
but as per usual practices doesn't the editor/publisher make that request or provide credentials? In this company we have devolved responsibilty to lowest possible level - do it yourself level.
a set of written guidelines from the event manager would be helpful.What!!!!! Shock!!!!!

VEST
whatever but i do not like the look of the prototype vest you sent me.
The target drawn on the back of the vest is a bit of a worry. Don't worry that is only the prototype. The new production version will only have a large single gold circle.
The other worry is that my back would appear larger than the 122cm face down range. Not with the new design.

CAMERA
sorry, I have a ten year old CasioQV-8000SX digital 2.8 meg which does a great job taking macro insect shots and attached to my microscopes; it is small and fits in my hand That will do.

otherwise
i have a ricoh kr-5sv 35mm with a huge bag of pentax, mackinon screw mounted lenses and filters Now that is a strange coincidence. I have a KR5 Super II sitting on the shelf and it could do with a few extra lenses and filters. It is a bayonet mount can we adapt/have you adapters - K-mount? Just checked the battery is still good. Sure you haven't a K1000 to go with those screw mounts??

guess which one will be taken on to the field if my editor does the paperwork?

BTW
can i keep the vest if i do not get the job?Probably not
why aren't there pockets for snacks and drinks?I didn't realise you wanted the backpack version with the insulated laptop pouch. My assistant has been known to complain about the weight he has been forced to carry on some days.
Last edited by GrahameA on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#109 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:01 am

BAREBOW PARTICIPATION UPDATE as of formal close of entries

108 shooters registered at tha AA nationals.
25 of whom are bare bow archers.
That is around 23%.

Strong continuing trend indeed.

FAN-TAS-TIC

Kevin

Southern Fox

Barebow

#110 Post by Southern Fox » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:59 am

That really is amazing. It is a trend. I wonder how many of those are long bows.
"...destiny does not just happen to you. You have to pursue it vigorously...."

longbowinfected

#111 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:47 pm

up to 83 shooters it was 13 longbow, 7 bare bow recurve
up to 93 shooters it was 14 longbow, 11 bare bow recurve

at around close date I got tired of counting and I think there are
Bare bow compound nil
Bare bow recurve 11
Longbow 14

it is actually higher but some folk have nominated some different divisions for different events and the veterans are listed twice
And this is in a year where we lost Keith Longbottom [MHRIP] and a couple of others could not afford it.

Kevin

longbow steve

#112 Post by longbow steve » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:13 pm

There is a live webcam on the Twin City Archery club website, probably wont get much longbow coverage but worth a look any way.
Thursday/Friday is the main body of Longbow Target Archers.
A week of Archery, brings a smile to my dial. :) Steve

GrahameA

#113 Post by GrahameA » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Grahame.

GrahameA

#114 Post by GrahameA » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi Kevin and Steve

Kevin
Well done on the 653. See how the others go when there turn comes up. :D

http://www.archeryvictoria.asn.au/08Nat ... esults.php

Steve
Keep at it. Thats about double my anticipated score. :D

http://www.archeryvictoria.asn.au/08Nat ... esults.php
Grahame.

Brumbies Country

#115 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:45 am

Great shooting Steve and Kevin. The 276 Open mens longbow field by Jo Varden is according to my memory a new Australian Championship and Tournament record. Steve is 12 behind. Today will conclude the field. Jo has shot a number of Aust Championships before and I think this is Steve's first. Could be interesting scores today.

Kevin, great shooting. Anything over 600 in longbow Fremantle is good going.

Hope you both go really well today.

Simon

White Hawk

#116 Post by White Hawk » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:03 pm

well just home from the Archery Aust National titles, and might I say what pleasure it was to meet 2 of the ozbow guys, 'Longbow Steve' and 'Longbow infected' face to face.

Not only that but both the boys put in stirlings efforts in both field and target, Kev (Longbow infected) took home a bronze in the Masters Longbow in Field shooting woods against people with alloys, and to my target mate Steve (Longbow Steve) a big congratulations on setting a new Australian Record with a score of 1050. He also took out the silver medal for the target as well.
These boys did all trad shooters proud on the National Stage.

Thanks for all the great tips Steve, I will put them into practice and hopefully give you a run for your money in the not to distant future!

now, after 3 days straight of shooting a hell of alot of arrows, my fingers are sore and I'm off to bed!

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

GrahameA

#117 Post by GrahameA » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:13 am

Hi Gavin

A mighty effort by Kevin and Steve - not forgetting yourself.

An interesting observation from the Nationals.

Open Mens Compound - 36 Archers

Open Mens Recurve - 13 Archers

Open Mens Longbow - 7 Archers

Open Male Recurve - 3 Archers
Grahame.

longbow steve

#118 Post by longbow steve » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:33 pm

Well, Kevin and myself made it home safe and well.
It was great to meet the Victorian contingent and feel their motivation and energy for promoting Traditional Archery. I believe we may have turned a few archers away from the dark side over the week by allowing all that were game to draw and shoot the bows on offer.
Gav and Leigh are great fun, Hue is a riot and Tim's perpetual smile kept the the mood light all week.
I owe Gav a special mention for "moon walking" and doing the "robot" between target ends on the last day, We were all exhausted.
I will try to get the photos up over the next few days.
Steve

GrahameA

#119 Post by GrahameA » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi Steve

We await the Photos with "Worms on Tongue".

Being slightly more serious for a minute:
longbow steve wrote:I believe we may have turned a few archers away from the dark side over the week by allowing all that were game to draw and shoot the bows on offer.
That's the way to do it.
Grahame.

Brumbies Country

#120 Post by Brumbies Country » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:20 pm

Great shooting Steve and well done to you Kevin Gavin and Leigh and any others from Ozbow who made it there. Even better if you won some over from the dark side :lol: . Just looking at the daily scores seems like longbow shooting is the division within AA that is going ahead in leaps and bounds re the overall standard at the Nationals.

Simon