Calling all AA longbow target shooters

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

longbowinfected

Calling all AA longbow target shooters

#1 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:16 pm

A few NSW based AA longbow shooters [american flatbow with feathers/metals] are going to attend the AA National Championships in Victoria next year.
I am pretty certain my mate Longbow Steve is going and so too Bob Sheahan. That gives us one person in each division which is not enough.
Longbow is beginning to pick up in NSW from what I can see.
How many of you Mexicans, Canadians, Cubans and other states/territories are planning to come and give us heaps?

I would really hate to see longbow taken out of the national competition since it has taken me two years just to learn enough to be allowed to stand next to some of you sharks without embarassing myself.

Spread the word and let's have some fun.

Kevin Girard
Longbowinfected
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Brumbies Country

#2 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi Kevin

I'm hoping to go for the field only. Have given myself a personal qualifying score to shoot before end of January. Joe Vardon from South Australia is going and there will be a few from SA and Vic. I shot LB last time it was held in Morwell (2006) and BB recurve the year before at Diamond Valley. Actually get the impression that LB is growing at the AA Nationals.

Lochmoy

Long bow at Nats

#3 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:59 pm

Gavin and I will be there from Geelong archers. We'll be doing the target and clout.
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

longbowinfected

Great to hear from you guys

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:30 pm

This is good news.
I was told that if we do not get enough competitors that masters and veterans might be combined or put into open.
There is a big threat of that happening at the national indoor and apparently longbow will not be offered to kids.
The numbers shooting longbow at the national indoor have increased and that is great.
Look forward to meeting you guys and putting faces to the names.

Kevin Girard
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Brumbies Country

Re: Long bow at Nats

#5 Post by Brumbies Country » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:45 pm

Lochmoy wrote:Gavin and I will be there from Geelong archers. We'll be doing the target and clout.
Leigh, I'll look forward to catching up with you and Gavin again. Sorry I haven't made it down to your Trad, but hopefully, one day.

Cheers

Simon

Brumbies Country

Re: Great to hear from you guys

#6 Post by Brumbies Country » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:55 pm

longbowinfected wrote:This is good news.
I was told that if we do not get enough competitors that masters and veterans might be combined or put into open.
There is a big threat of that happening at the national indoor and apparently longbow will not be offered to kids.
The numbers shooting longbow at the national indoor have increased and that is great.
Look forward to meeting you guys and putting faces to the names.

Kevin Girard
For some reason replies aren't showing up on the thread Kevin, so sorry for the delay in replying. You, Bob and Steve will be a quality team. Though living in NSW, I will be shooting in ACT colours as the Canberra clubs are the nearest by a country mile and I belong to Tuggeranong which is close to an 80 km drive but a great club, a good group of blokes and a permanent field course. There are some in Archery Australia who probably think LB should be a thing of the past, but I guess we just need to keep increasing the numbers to show 'em it isn't so.

Cheers

Simon

longbowinfected

Good on you Simon

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:14 pm

Mate, you shoot best where you can enjoy it the most.
It is great that you can shoot your longbow amongst friends and enjoy it.
The colour of your shirt just makes it more tribal and adds a bit of fun.
There are likely to be some other guys from NSW.
The problem is that a large number of people enjoy longbow as their second bow / fun day bows. Almost everyone at Liverpool owns and shoots a longbow well and the rest shoot barebow very well.
I am very lucky in that Steve shoots longbow in my club. Now two of the kids shoot longbow and another couple of younger guys are taking it up.
With some help from Ian Fenton and John Macdonald Steve and I have infected Arthur Fisk and a few of the Bathurst boys.
We're getting there. I would just like to see as many turn up next year and give it a real kick along.

Kevin Girard

Lochmoy

Long bows rule

#8 Post by Lochmoy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:56 pm

Long bows rule.
Last edited by Lochmoy on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:34 am

Hi Kevin and Leigh

Perhaps the best answer is to shoot Traditional equipment more often at your club.

I can only speak for myself but when we shoot Clout everyone shoots it barebow and we always have a number of longbow shooters - and probably one more when Tom gets his finished he needs a change from the Grozer and the Mamba.

Perhaps the next step is for clubs to hold a more "Traditional Archery Event" as a fun-shoot at some stage. How about a Double York? Being a bit more serious a single York and shoot it doubled ended if possible. (And if the York is a bit long and too many arrows then a go for a shorter and less arrow round.)

Part of this also fits in with the work that Perry is doing in that here is a wide field to cover.
Last edited by GrahameA on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hue

AA longbow

#10 Post by hue » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:49 pm

hi guys

Hue from Yarra Bowmen here
just to give you an idea about growth of longbows and barebows at our club, this time last year, two of us were longbowmen (and newbies, at that)now we have 18 members who shoot this style. we found that by offering them a try at beginners level of all the styles of archery, the unsighted bows are by faraway, the most popular. it also helps if your club is extremely tolerant. the majority of our members believe, if you shoot arrows, you're an archer.

regards Hue
I can only be who I am

Lochmoy

Hue

#11 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:38 pm

Hue is my new hero along with Arnie and Jamie Oliver
Last edited by Lochmoy on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lochmoy

Long bow

#12 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:41 pm

Actually Hue,

With this number of Trad. archers, this would make Yarra Bowmen the pre-eminent trad bow club currently in Victoria I reckon. Try and encourage them to come to the Nationals. We need the numbers to blow the socks of Australian Archery.

Abaci

#13 Post by Abaci » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:51 am

Sorry to try and catch up. When is the nationals and where is it being held again? (Morewell?) Because time permitting, I'd love to come though I have a feeling I'd probably be one of the girls... but I'm happy to compete in the mens division if I'm allowed ... Are the entry forms available to be completed?

Though just to be sure, Leigh, would my longbow be okay as an aba longbow? (the martin savanah it has a bit of reflex deflex).

Michelle
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

White Hawk

#14 Post by White Hawk » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:20 am

Hi Abaci,
here is the link to all you need to know about the AA national at Morwell.

http://www.archeryvictoria.asn.au/08Nationals/

Be great if you could come, Longbows with Ladies behind them is in need of a boost. All things considered I think Longbows will be well represented, I competed there two years ago and we had around 20 in all classes, and since then the revival of trad has increased ten fold.

As far as your bow goes, (and Grahame might be able to answer this for sure) but as long as the string only touches the nocks then you should be OK. You also have the choice of aluminium or wood arrows.

Last time I competed in the nats I used a Martin longbow which had reflex/deflex in it and had no problems.

hope you can make it, especially for the clout on the Wednesday, with all the clout practice we have had at various trad events in Vic this year we should all do well.

cheers

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

longbow steve

#15 Post by longbow steve » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:17 am

Looks like longbow is in good hands in Victoria and I look forward to having a shot with you all.
Kevin and I have found that when shooting at events the general public tends too congregate behind the longbow shooters, we seem to be more approachable than the serious Recurve/Compound shooters ( I dont know if that is a good thing) and our enthusiasm and banter is no doubt a good introduction too the sport for most.

Michelle, I think your bow would be ok under the rule changes that occurred this year but get someone official to say yay or nay, I will see if Regina, our one and only lady shooter in NSW can come????
Steve

Len

#16 Post by Len » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:52 am

Hey guys, what do you need to do to qualify for this event and would they allow medieval style longbows ?
Hmmmmmmm.............

longbow steve

#17 Post by longbow steve » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:41 am

Hi Len, To qualify for the National Longbow event you must be able to take time of work, be able to shoot for 4 days straight and be an AA member.
It would be good to have a true longbow there. :) steve

Abaci

#18 Post by Abaci » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:22 pm

Hey Steve,

Something tells me that the section on the application form asking for your previous score in a previous tournament wouldn't quite accept the one from the last time I shot (In morewell a kings round, at some flying disks and at the wild animals in the rain).

Can we just jump into the nationals or should we qualify by at least having a score to put on the entry sheet...

Mind you this is hypothetical at the moment. I've just bought a house and settlement date is the end of Feb, I'm not sure if I could make it for an archery holiday in March...

But you never know, fingers crossed. If I can't make it to this one I think it's Leongatha in April?
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

longbow steve

#19 Post by longbow steve » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi Michelle, I think previous scores will just have an effect on target allocation for the top recurve or compound shooters, as we Longbow people are not permitted in state teams etc I dont think it matters.
It would be good if you guys could make it, Good luck with the house purchase. Steve

longbowinfected

To Michelle

#20 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:15 pm

No matter what there would probably be enough lefties and righties with extra bows to help out if needed.
I shoot the way the bloke upstairs intended [LH] and will/can bring a spare 33#, 43# & 50# if you need one of them.
Come to think of it if any of you guys out there can convince lapsed longbow people we could probably organize some extra gear if they got their own ammo.

Be a great way to farewell KL if heaps turned up shooting longbows.

Kevin Girard

Lochmoy

Qualifying

#21 Post by Lochmoy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:48 pm

You don't need to do anything as a long bowyer to qualify other than have a long bow. You can become a temporary AA/AV member for the event and you only need to attend the days which you decide to comepete. For me I will only be going on the Wed. Th. Frid. for Clout and target. If you only want to do clout for example that would be fine. I have posted the info and the entry form. I could only post the entry form sorry.

You might as well do it Len while it's in your neighbourhood. you'll love it and it will be great to get all those long bowyers on the line.
Attachments
08nationalinformation.pdf
(182.56 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Len

#22 Post by Len » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:50 am

Thanks Leigh, think I might give the clout a go.
Hmmmmmmm.............

longbowinfected

#23 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:46 am

Brumbies Country wrote:Hi Kevin

I'm hoping to go for the field only. Have given myself a personal qualifying score to shoot before end of January. Joe Vardon from South Australia is going and there will be a few from SA and Vic. I shot LB last time it was held in Morwell (2006) and BB recurve the year before at Diamond Valley. Actually get the impression that LB is growing at the AA Nationals.
Not trying to be a shyte or an urger but what do you call a personal qualifying score? I was just intrigued. No matter how much better than us you are, worse or equal we will still have fun.
I have been using a light bow for field. With 40 metres being the longest distance with the new yellow pegs you can shoot a 30-33# bamboo core bow and have all your aiming points on the target. The only problem is getting used to aiming a bit above the target for 40 metres.
I suggest though that you stick to the 10 grains of arrow per pound of draw weight concept. I found that Jazz 1516, 1616, 1716 with four small feathers or x7 1713, 1714, 1813, 1814 will do the job for me.

Kevin

Mookie

Re: Tolerance

#24 Post by Mookie » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:12 pm

Lochmoy wrote:All hail to you Hue. Even though it's a long way I am thinking seriously of joining your club to be amongst like minded archers. Your members have the a broad minded approach and I put it down to your fantastic leadership. I have not been so fortunate and narrow mindedness prevailed. Are many of them coming to the clout on Sunday at Waverley?
I believe it is necessary to point out that the 'poster of this quote' was a member of the GA committee for 2 years including the role of "President". This is not the forum to raise criticism and is disappointing the past holder of such a responsible position has treated as such. It is especially disappointing as identities are well known.

Geelong Archers welcomed Trad Archery to the club, I believe over 3 years ago, but as we at Geelong are also an "archery club" not just a "Trad club", we also shoot target, field, 3D and clout.

We welcome all types of archers and styles even offering an unsighted club champion trophy which still didn't encourage many Traditionalist to compete for.

Traditional Archery and opinions are welcome and appreciated at Geelong.

Lochmoy

Tolerance

#25 Post by Lochmoy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:52 pm

Mookie,

I implied nothing specific about any person or any club. I will not be getting into any stoush about anything of this nature on a forum such as this and nor should you.

hardgainer

#26 Post by hardgainer » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:51 am

Hi Guys....Apologise for not being up with the play here but did I read it right.......longbow offers a mix of either Wood or Aluminum arrows. I thought Fita Longbow was wood only natural fletch or have I got my rules confused (as usuall) :)

GrahameA

#27 Post by GrahameA » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:37 am

For AA events

You can shoot your choice of aluminium arrows or wood arrows.

However if you choose to shoot Aluminium arrows then you will not be able to claim FITA records - okay for Australian.

For Longbow you must shoot Mediterranean Release and no face or string walking. There has been a clarification of this by AA and a note to such circulated.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hardgainer

#28 Post by hardgainer » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:51 am

Thanks Grahame clarification appreciated.

Brumbies Country

#29 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:24 am

longbowinfected wrote:
Brumbies Country wrote:Hi Kevin

Not trying to be a shyte or an urger but what do you call a personal qualifying score? I was just intrigued. No matter how much better than us you are, worse or equal we will still have fun.
I have been using a light bow for field. With 40 metres being the longest distance with the new yellow pegs you can shoot a 30-33# bamboo core bow and have all your aiming points on the target. The only problem is getting used to aiming a bit above the target for 40 metres.
I suggest though that you stick to the 10 grains of arrow per pound of draw weight concept. I found that Jazz 1516, 1616, 1716 with four small feathers or x7 1713, 1714, 1813, 1814 will do the job for me.

Kevin
Happy New Year Kevin

The personal qualifying score is just to make me try a bit harder to get my act together. Absolutely agree with you re the lighter bow for field, and two weeks ago took delivery of a Jo Vardon 30lb longbow. Part of the reduction in weight was a neck/shoulder injury. Because I also shoot ABA and because I like timber arrows, I shoot woods. For me for some reason aluminium shafts have not resulted in better scores (though I could have persisted more :lol: ) Two years ago at the AA Nationals I somehow shot 3rd in the Open LB target in a four horse field with the other guys using alloys. Having said that you have a good point, and I am currently shooting 400 grain wood shafts from the 30lb bow.

Would love to shoot the clout but can't get the 145 metres with the 30lb longbow. Do you reckon with 1716's ( or something lighter) and small vanes it's doable?

I intend to shoot open LB field days 1&2 and veterans LB field days 4&5.

Simon

Brumbies Country

Re: Qualifying

#30 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:32 am

Lochmoy wrote:You don't need to do anything as a long bowyer to qualify other than have a long bow. You can become a temporary AA/AV member for the event and you only need to attend the days which you decide to comepete. For me I will only be going on the Wed. Th. Frid. for Clout and target. If you only want to do clout for example that would be fine. I have posted the info and the entry form. I could only post the entry form sorry.

You might as well do it Len while it's in your neighbourhood. you'll love it and it will be great to get all those long bowyers on the line.
Leigh, I thought you had to be an AA member to shoot at the Nationals. Correct me if I'm wrong. Absolutely agree you don't need a qualifying score.

You must be in line to push for a clout record this year. Was impressed the way you shot it the last two Vic nationals.

Simon