ABA rule When is a Longbow not a Longbow?

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

from sweden

Re: ABA rule When is a Longbow not a Longbow?

#31 Post by from sweden » Wed May 14, 2008 8:11 pm

barreled shafts are ok so is tapered shafts as long as they are made off wood however they should be the same length but
i dont think anyone stands there with a measuring tape <ex that shaft is 1/2 shorter > :D
:lol: best reg Cody

Brumbies Country

#32 Post by Brumbies Country » Thu May 15, 2008 8:03 am

GrahameA wrote:Evening All
The arrow shall be made of wood material and in uniform length and weight with a screw in style or glue on point .
So does that rule out barrelled shafts? Their mass per unit length varies.
Wouldn't have thought so Grahame. I read it to mean that they all had to be the same length, which is no problem, but I did wonder how "uniform" is uniform weight. You could make shafts to be absolutely uniform in weight, but when I buy in wood shafts and make up the arrow they are certainly not identical in weight even when specifying matching shafts. Within those limitations barrelled shafts can be of uniform length and weight.

Simon

GrahameA

#33 Post by GrahameA » Thu May 15, 2008 10:32 am

Hi Simon and Cody

[quote=Simon]Wouldn't have thought so Grahame. I read it to mean that they all had to be the same length, which is no problem, but I did wonder how "uniform" is uniform weight. You could make shafts to be absolutely uniform in weight, but when I buy in wood shafts and make up the arrow they are certainly not identical in weight even when specifying matching shafts. Within those limitations barrelled shafts can be of uniform length and weight.[/quote]

But there must be some doubt in your mind by your reply.

I just think the rule is badly written and ambiguous. Do they mean uniform length? Logic says yes but, in this world who knows.

Uniform weight - plus or minus 20 grains or 20 ounces?

I know it seems pedantic but essentially if you, or an organisation, are going to put such restrictions in place then they should be of a form where the limits are known. By the same token if people are not going to check them then why have them in the first place?

Slightly off the topic but related to it. It is an interesting experience to compete in a competition whereby all equipment is checked prior to the event and suspect equipment is eliminated. And suspect equipment is pulled during the event if it appears abnormal - things do slip through. What you are seeing is such cases is an event being run in a "professional" manner.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Brumbies Country

#34 Post by Brumbies Country » Thu May 15, 2008 11:52 am

GrahameA wrote:Hi Simon and Cody
Simon wrote:Wouldn't have thought so Grahame. I read it to mean that they all had to be the same length, which is no problem, but I did wonder how "uniform" is uniform weight. You could make shafts to be absolutely uniform in weight, but when I buy in wood shafts and make up the arrow they are certainly not identical in weight even when specifying matching shafts. Within those limitations barrelled shafts can be of uniform length and weight.
But there must be some doubt in your mind by your reply.

I just think the rule is badly written and ambiguous. Do they mean uniform length? Logic says yes but, in this world who knows.

Uniform weight - plus or minus 20 grains or 20 ounces?

I know it seems pedantic but essentially if you, or an organisation, are going to put such restrictions in place then they should be of a form where the limits are known. By the same token if people are not going to check them then why have them in the first place?

Slightly off the topic but related to it. It is an interesting experience to compete in a competition whereby all equipment is checked prior to the event and suspect equipment is eliminated. And suspect equipment is pulled during the event if it appears abnormal - things do slip through. What you are seeing is such cases is an event being run in a "professional" manner.
Grahame, yes there was doubt in my mind, fair enough, and I take your point that rules should avoid ambiguity. I must admit to thinking, even with my 30lb LB, in practical terms there would be very little difference in impact point at the 30 yards maximum white peg for traditional bows with a few grains variation in arrow weight. What I would hate to happen is to travel all the way to Queensland to a 3DAAA event and find I couldn't shoot because there was some small variation in arrow weight.

Simon

from sweden

#35 Post by from sweden » Sat May 17, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi guys :D
well i suppose you can interperate just about anything how you want. cutting the arrows the same length is not hard .
but your not going to find many wooden shafts that are the exact same weight.
I tell you that is not going to be a problem no one is going to hassle you iff 1 wooden shaft weighs a bit more
than the other ,that is how wood works, my wood arrows are ca +- 7 grains .
And the word uniform well im from sweden so i dont know iff that is the wrong word to use in the rules for trad
maybe it could off said uniform length and off simmilar weight but again it is not going to be a problem with the weight issue off the wood shaft there is such a little turn upp of trad shooters in 3daaa but we are hoping it will change because like i said the rules are simple and
easy to understand max distance is 30 yards you can have 2 nock locators on the string 1 above and 1 below you can shoot 3 fingers under
center cut is allowed in 2008 rules
EASY AND SIMPLE!!!!!

There is always room for improvment maybe 2009 rules will be even easier to understand and simple i have never liked rule books that are
2 meters thick and hard to understand

Cheers Cody

Greywolf

#36 Post by Greywolf » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi all if you think the variations in the rules is confusing.
I am shooting in the Australasian Police Games in October.

Day 1 IFAA Field
Day 2 3DAAA 3D
Day 3 FITA Olympic

I get to shoot out of 3 rule books in 3 days
Growing Old Disgracefully

Brumbies Country

#37 Post by Brumbies Country » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:35 pm

Greywolf wrote:Hi all if you think the variations in the rules is confusing.
I am shooting in the Australasian Police Games in October.

Day 1 IFAA Field
Day 2 3DAAA 3D
Day 3 FITA Olympic

I get to shoot out of 3 rule books in 3 days
Re the bow and with practicality in mind you'd reckon the organisers would allow your bow for all three disciplines if it met the rules of one of those disciplines. The interesting one would be arrows. With a longbow you can shoot woods for all three. Presumably the FITA is run under Archery Australia rules which allow for aluminiums. But then again Australasian includes NZ and Archery New Zealand stipulate wood arrows only for longbows....Bloody hell!!!!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#38 Post by greybeard » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:04 pm

Bloody Hell!!!
Bloody confusing???

Rules that are set in concrete are hard to change.

I had a small victory some 18 months back when I submitted a proposal to 3D AAA to delete the 125 grain field point ruling in the Traditional Division. The case was presented as to why the ruling should be changed and the reasoning supporting the case was accepted.

I am not against governing bodies as such but unless interested parties put up a genuine reason as to why certain rules need modification nothing will change.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....