City Of Sydney Event Dec 2

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

City Of Sydney Event Dec 2

#1 Post by longbow steve » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:16 pm

Thought I would mention this event for any interested in the Traditional Target side of things.
Selfbows, horsebows, modern barebow. This event has been running for 57 years.
Details and entry forms are downloadable from the Archery NSW website.
See you there, Steve

GrahameA

#2 Post by GrahameA » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:49 pm

Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

City of Sydney shoot

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:30 pm

Great event.
Hot and windy.
Longbow Steve shot well, as always butgave the restof us a sniff like a tease.
My first distance event using timbers & I really enjoyed it.
I made up a set of POC select 45-50# spined blanks with a set mass between 320-340 grains, shortened them to 28 inches for a 27.5 inch draw, added 125 grain field points and radical hellical 5 inch barred black and white feathers with black hooped cresting. Had not shot them before and whilst I have only been shooting longbow for two years posted PBs better than my best scores with aluminium arrows. Down at 30 metres I was rapt with 250/300 in very windy conditions.
The most enjoyable part was beating my mate Longbow Steve in the afternoon section [using one of his bows & admittedly with 10 metre discount for timber v metal]...still couldn't beat him on the day but came close.

Well done Steve.
More trad shooters needed.
Low key and friendly group of people at Sydney Bowpeople

Longbowinfected
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

longbow steve

#4 Post by longbow steve » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:45 pm

How did I know you would be bragging about beating me yesterday afternoon :lol:. Well done Kevin.
180 arrows is tough!
Sydney Bowmen are a great group of Ladies and gentlemen!
I won a coveted spoon and bottle of wine :) I seem to get a lot of wine at Trad shoots. steve

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:01 pm

Photos? Where are the Photos????????
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

photos

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:12 pm

Why would you need photos of a demolished bottle of wine?
We were both in the doo doo with our ladies because we did not get home till late. Steve at least had a bottle of wine. It was necessary to open the last bottles of wine won at the wiseman's ferry trad shoot. I certainly hope that refills are available next year. I will be making a bee line to the Rose if I win anything next year & in case I don't, I will buy a heap of raffle tickets.

Seriously, we were so busy standing up, it was hard yakka.

We will remember to take pix next time. many apologies.

longbowinfected.
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

longbow steve

#7 Post by longbow steve » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:13 pm

Wish I had a camera when Regina Swallowed the fly and could not recover all of it :lol: made the last 70 arrows humerous.

longbowinfected

bloody unlucky

#8 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:39 pm

Regina does not talk as much as me, so I reckon she was really unlucky.
I reckon my mouth was open proportionately for much more time than hers.
I have never seen someone try as hard as her to dislodge such a deep seated fly.
It was really only a small fly as flies go.
She still shot a great PB.

Longbowinfected

Jeffro

#9 Post by Jeffro » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:14 pm

Steve I never heard of Sydney Bowmen before but now is past the entry date but it certainly sounds interesting.
Where do they hold it ,in paddington?

Jeff

longbowinfected

Sydney Bowmen

#10 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:51 pm

Jethro, sorry to interrupt your question to Steve.
They are an AA club based at Moverley Road Coogee. They are the oldest club and their tournament has been around for years. A number of years ago they encouraged trad bows by creating a combined division for men & women in their annual tournament. They also allow and encourage the use of timber arrows with trad shooters but you compete against trad shooters using metal arrows. If you choose to shoot timber arrows you get a discount of 10 metres per distance shot. Very friendly people, pretty forward thinking and acceptance compared to some parts of the target establishment. The other usual divisions are catered for and are in greater numbers but it is nice to be allowed to shoot timber arrows which aren't usually allowed on AA courses.

Longbowinfected