War bow comp ?

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Len

War bow comp ?

#1 Post by Len » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:03 am

Is anyone else interested in getting a comp up for warbows ? I thought we could maybe have a division for warbows or a small comp held along with our trad meets next year. Bow could be ELBS, horsebows, Japanese bows whatever as long as they are reconisable as a war bow, used with an appropiate arrow and have a min draw wieght of maybe 80lb ?
Just a thought. I'd be happy to keep records and such. If not full warbows then maybe semi-warbow/medieval bows? Have a think and let me know your ideas :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

Abaci

#2 Post by Abaci » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:51 am

Len I think I'd have to sit on the ground and hold onto a bow like that with my feet and pull the string with both hands!... Sounds like fun for you guy's but I think I'll stick to my 45# Martin Savannah Longbow...
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

matt_d

#3 Post by matt_d » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:57 pm

Sure mate it sounds like a lot of fun. It would be a small or as I like to think of it "exclusive" comp but I would be there :D
I'll have to start making some wood shavings soon if I need an 80lb'er!

Matt

Len

#4 Post by Len » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:33 pm

Good man, we'll talk some details on the weekend. Who else will join our exclusive band of brothers ?
Hmmmmmmm.............

Lochmoy

Warbows

#5 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:05 pm

I am there Len,

Maybe you could make the Leongatha comp. a warbow comp in April.

Try out some new events maybe.
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:08 pm

Now that's something I'd like to see, Lochmoy drawing and shooting an 80# warbow. :lol:

I'll have to sit this one out Len. I can't even handle a 60# bow, never mind anything heavier, my dicky shoulder just wouldn't allow it.

It might be fun to watch though. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Lochmoy

Warbows

#7 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:29 pm

That's it Mick. Len is going to teach me to draw within the bow. I probably end up shooting myself out of it.

At 80 1bs I'll most likely travel a few meters before I hit the deck.
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

Len

#8 Post by Len » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:59 am

Well guys looks like we will be having a warbow class for our comp on 20th April. Bows will have to be a historically reconised bow type and medieval style arrows must be used. Bows have to have min draw weight of 70 lb, and yes we know this is too light to be a real warbow but we want to get numbers up and encourage people to have a go and have some fun. To be in the warbow comp you only have to shoot your warbow in the Poitier round, not use it all day. At the moment we have 4 or 5 archers lined up to have a crack and I think it could be the start of something new in this country so lets give it a go :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:16 am

Morning Len
Bows will have to be a historically reconised bow type and medieval style arrows
70lb at what draw length?? WRT arrows do they need to be medieval replicas? Shooting from near the ear extends the draw length somewhat.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:24 am

Len

It sounds great. I think 70# is a reasonable minimum weight for the event. I like the idea of not having any compromises. The event will only be viable for those who have made the effort to master shooting a heavy bow.

What sort of event do you have in mind? I reckon it should be some kind of clout event. It would be even better if it could be shot at 180 metres, imagine that! :shock: Unfortunately, I also realise you don't have the facility to shoot at those sorts of distances at Leongatha.

Whatever the event turns out to be, it will certainly be spectacular, particularly if the contestants are also kitted out in authentic medieval attire. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

ed

#11 Post by ed » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:17 am

you will not find many Japanese bows at the 70# mark. Very few were ever made that heavy even in the waring states period. Almost impossible now to get a yumi more than 45-50#. The standard for kyudo is around 30-35#

Len

#12 Post by Len » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:33 am

Morning guys,
Bow weight is at 30" and in regard to arrows they will need to be 30" long, self nocked and fitted with bodkins, no broadheads for obvious reasons.
The poitier round starts at 120 m and progresses in to 20m.
I realise that with an event of this type there will always be compromise in regards to what classes as a warbow and arrows but we have to start somewhere and its really about encouraging people to get into the historical side of archery more then anything at this stage :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

longbow steve

#13 Post by longbow steve » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:01 am

Hi Len, will you be able to make it to the AA nationals next week? I would love to see your bows in action and your technique. Steve

kerrille

#14 Post by kerrille » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:35 am

in this comp you are talking about the english war bow ,but dose anyone know of a web site that shows all typs of war bow .i have found a site with swords spears and shields but nothing on all types of warbow.
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

White Hawk

#15 Post by White Hawk » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:17 pm

Hey Steve,
I will be bringing my War bow and war arrows to the Nationals (I bet THAT hasn't happened before!) and you are welcome to check it out. Len makes a fine bow. My bow is 80#@30".
If they will let us we can take it out after competition and have a play!

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Southern Fox

War Bow

#16 Post by Southern Fox » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Oh goody, the war bow comp idea has been revived. Now that some of us actually have them now it will be great to start and build on it to make it a nice little comp. or part of a bigger comp.
"...destiny does not just happen to you. You have to pursue it vigorously...."

Len

#17 Post by Len » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Great to see the interest in this event.
Ed, its a shame we can't fit in a yumi or two on the line but it wouldn't be fair to let in light bows for the guys using the heavy ones.
Steve, I'm not an AA member at this stage so I can't go to the nationals, unless I can get there just for a look :(
Hmmmmmmm.............

longbow steve

#18 Post by longbow steve » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi Len, I am sure you can come for a look without having to be a member, we are there for 7-8 days.
You are only 45minutes away if your at Leongatha, come and laugh at us shooting Clout.
Either way I will check out Gavs war bow and get him to show me how it is shot about 50 times before the target event :twisted: Did I just say that out loud? Steve

White Hawk

#19 Post by White Hawk » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:35 pm

Steve
maybe I'll shoot it FOR the target event!? These big war shafts are the exact same width as the gold on an 120cm face..... they are more in the spear catergory....! :lol:
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

longbow steve

#20 Post by longbow steve » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:11 am

Now thats just cheating Gav :D . But I would like to see you try :D
I am scoring and your pulling arrows ok. Steve