Caboolture Corrival - The Event

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Caboolture Corrival - The Event

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:04 pm

Good Afternoon All

The Corrival is on again. Yesterday afternoon it rained at the Caboolture grounds. I have just checked the latest weather data - it is 32C and humidty is at 75%. It felt a lot more than that as we strolled our way through the jungle of Caboolture.

Yesterday I puchased myself a Camel-Pack (they were on Special) I tell you that was a real smart move. On the downside I now need to find a way to insulate the water in the tube.

This year Perry set out the targets. Have you ever seen an alligator crawling down a tree - masquerading as a Goanna perhaps? :?

To be fair most of the targets were very good. If sometimes a tad annoying. Perry did make comments that when everyone is calling you unfriendly names you have reached the status of target setter. I am certain he will keep working at it.

I went around with a larger group than normal. Lorraine and Dale (my usual partners) plus John A, Cleve (aka Shrek), the 'Other John" and Brian (aka bs_recurve) and myself. A tad larger than what I am use to. I have now been christened "Captain 5" by Cleve (keeper of the scores).

If you ever get the feeling that you are shooting well start taking photos - your score will plummet to levels that you have never plumbed before.

Okay down to a few photos.
Attachments
Lorraine taking a shot at "The Seat".
Lorraine taking a shot at "The Seat".
Img_3399-600.jpg (47.1 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
The crowd waiting at Target 1 on range 1
The crowd waiting at Target 1 on range 1
Img_3445-600.jpg (18.53 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
Dale shooting at Target 1.  Theree are 3 Pigs to shoot.
Dale shooting at Target 1. Theree are 3 Pigs to shoot.
Img_3444-600.jpg (27.55 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
John A at 'The Seat" and about to nail one.
John A at 'The Seat" and about to nail one.
Img_3397-600.jpg (32.52 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
Yours truly kneeling and about to take the shot - and I nailed it.  (Another 5) That is the mighty Yamaha/Samick in action.  Check out the Camel-pack, plenty of water and that makes for a pleasant change.
Yours truly kneeling and about to take the shot - and I nailed it. (Another 5) That is the mighty Yamaha/Samick in action. Check out the Camel-pack, plenty of water and that makes for a pleasant change.
Img_3416-600.jpg (20.49 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
A Mick Smith Special.  Dale shooting a pipe shot.  You can see the Pig on the far side of the pipe.
A Mick Smith Special. Dale shooting a pipe shot. You can see the Pig on the far side of the pipe.
Img_3411-600.jpg (25.67 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
Another of the shooters in the group behind us.
Another of the shooters in the group behind us.
Img_3430-600.jpg (24.99 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
One of the shooters in the group behind us.
One of the shooters in the group behind us.
Img_3432-600.jpg (35.78 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
Cleve (aka Shrek) - Keeper-of-the-Scores.
<br />Check out the intense concentration.
Cleve (aka Shrek) - Keeper-of-the-Scores.
Check out the intense concentration.
Img_3405-600.jpg (20.05 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
The 'Other John' in our group.
The 'Other John' in our group.
Img_3393-600.jpg (37.68 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
Brian (aka bs_recurve).  Shoots a &quot;mean&quot; bow - and usually does not miss.  Plus he has a very fashionable hat.
Brian (aka bs_recurve). Shoots a "mean" bow - and usually does not miss. Plus he has a very fashionable hat.
Img_3409-600.jpg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
So this target 2 on Range 2.  I am standing at the mark so you can get an idea of the shot.  The rest of the mob are down there scoring.  Yes Perry, it was not the best of targets!
So this target 2 on Range 2. I am standing at the mark so you can get an idea of the shot. The rest of the mob are down there scoring. Yes Perry, it was not the best of targets!
Img_3392-600.jpg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
Another Turkey shot.  How can one be expected to soar with the Eagles when surrounded by these Turkeys??
Another Turkey shot. How can one be expected to soar with the Eagles when surrounded by these Turkeys??
Img_3419-600.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
Last edited by GrahameA on Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Coach

Re: Caboolture Corrival - The Event

#2 Post by Coach » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:29 pm

GrahameA wrote: Yesterday I puchased myself a Camel-Pack (they were on Special) I tell you that was a real smart move. On the downside I now need to find a way to insulate the water in the tube.

Try blowing the water back into the bladder , that way you dont get a mouthful of HOT water :lol: :lol:

The Gnome!

#3 Post by The Gnome! » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:34 pm

Some good picks there "Captain 5"/Graham A, I would love to off been there but that happens.
Will be there next year for sure. Say hi to Losty and Houston if you see them.
As for the target placement well done to Perry you are learning my son :twisted:

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:34 pm

Gnome

Saw Losty and Houston. Losty looked like he had been through the ringer - it was a tad warmish.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

bsrecurve

#5 Post by bsrecurve » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:19 pm

what a brilliant weekend - i had a ball.
i think perry could have been much more of a bastard if he wanted to though mate - the course was certainly interesting with a good range of shots offered. can't wait for next years...

kimall

Yep

#6 Post by kimall » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:50 pm

Yep had a great shoot and got to meet some of the members from here also.It was very hot and humid though but as a lot was shot in the jungle it was not too bad.I felt the course was set out very well with a good mix of easier and then more challenging targets.Maggie shot her new little recurve and I have to admit she flogged me on the first range.(I wont take her again)She even got a third place trophy and she is a very happy little archer.Thanks heaps to Perry and the other guys from Caboolture for a top weekend.
Cheers KIM

perry

#7 Post by perry » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:44 pm

Thankyou Grahame for posting the pictures I appreiciate it . Thanks for any feedback aswell everyone . I did not get a chance to shoot any arrows but can honestly say that I had a blast and am on a bit of a trip with the satisfaction that comes from teamwork and a job well done . The atmoshere at the Corrival was great this year thanks to the traditional archers that attended our shoot

Grahame I am disappointed some of the shots that we had set made you frown :twisted: . Great care was taken to ensure that every shot was 100 % shootable regardless of the healthy archers gender , equipment used or there age , yes we challenged every archer to step up to the plate and think about there shot and at the muster mentioned that if a disability that made it difficult for an archer to shoot that target they should feel free to shoot from a spot that suited them and the pegs were somewhat rubbery to accomadate archer's physical differances .

I made absolutly sure that any gap shooters or stringwalkers out there had shots that disadvantaged them and then later in the ranges had targets that advantaged them . Interesting : :) :?: that the photo of the blackbuck range 2 number 2 , your group had a hard time on just happened to be one of the 2 shots that required an archer to remember that an arrow travels in an arched trajectory and the true 10 zone of the target was at the level of the lantana or the Gator up the tree with the stump several yards in front of it required carefull distance choice and the archer to pick an imaginary spot or focus through light lantana at the mark

A special thanks :?: to the Barfly's that kept me up all night friday and until 12 .45 sunday mornin . 40 odd hours no sleep , I'm too old for that but loved every minute of it :D :D . regards Perry
Last edited by perry on Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi Perry

You misread me. I have no issues with any of the shots. They were all fine and we had a ball. :D I came back with all the arrows I went with and that ain't bad. :D
Grahame.

kimall

A little fly

#9 Post by kimall » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:51 pm

I guess the one little fly in the ointment is that these type of events are thought of as family events(and there where lots there)but there are some that just dont seem to be able to keep their swearing under control.
When guys need to say F$%k every time they miss the target when there is a 9 year old in the group its a bit dissapointing.I dont aim this at the organiser in any way its just general winge to some that may read this site and attend these type of shoots.
Cheers KIM

perry

#10 Post by perry » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:20 pm

Graham its so hard to get emotion or humour across a keyboard , I know you and your mates had a good shoot and I was attempting to be humerous . I is no shakespeare .

Kim it was good to meet you this weekend I am sorry that any of us forgot our manners and made a poor impression . You cracked me up with your teasing Glenn all weekend . Congratulations on winning Best Knife , best set of Arrows and best Recurve in the Craft Guild show , unfortunatly there is no best wicker quiver catagory :lol:
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bsrecurve

#11 Post by bsrecurve » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:58 pm

at the end of the day every shot was a bit of fun in its own way perry, and that's what it's all about. that bloody 60m moose is still laughing at me I'm sure....

yeah kim - that was a bit disappointing especially with the kids around - but it was a minority of people doing it. you did really well with the crafts and i knew that knife would win mate - and good on maggie for shooting so well because she flogged me too.

Glenn Newell

#12 Post by Glenn Newell » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:44 pm

It was a good shoot Perry, a lot the shots were challenging, especially the running pig with all of the trees in the way, I think Gary gave that pig an extra hard push when he saw me on the line.
Kim's right about some of the language around the children, the old saying "full of p!$$ and bad manners" but as Brian said it was a minority, but usually the same minority.
Good to see so many young children shooting, and all of the archery crafting on display. The sheep on the spit was fantastic, melt in your mouth.
Good on the Caboolture Bowmen...Glenn...
Last edited by Glenn Newell on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimall

Wicker

#13 Post by kimall » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:27 am

Thanks for all the comments guys and Perry I am working on a new cat for the wicker basket quivers. :D Now I know what these comps are about I will work at putting together some really nice things as I am sure it will only get harder to win with the quality of the crafts that seem to be coming through now.That knife is being sent away to a friend today as a gift and I can tell him it is an AWARD WINNING knife.LOL :P
Thanks again Perry and hopfully next time we run into each other you will be able to shoot and we can have a shot together.
Cheers KIM
PS Do we really need to tell Glenn when the next one is on. :wink:

bent stick mick

#14 Post by bent stick mick » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:49 pm

I add my congratulations to all the Caboolture Team. Great to see some wheelie bow shooters with sticks in hand too. I only wish someone had told me about the Cane Toad BEFORE I smashed an arrow :? (thanks Shrek for the extra darts )
Great turn out yet no waiting, EXCELLENT food and BONZA company.
Can't wait for other 3dAAA clubs to attempt to mimic your success. I can see that a few range setters are going to have their wotk cut out for 'em.
See you at the Nats, Guys.

Mx

Shrek

#15 Post by Shrek » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:35 pm

Gotta add a real big ONYA to all you folks that did such a mighty job at the corrival.I had a top time and learnt a thing or two about setting a good target.Thanks Mick for the lift home,thanks to my group, and thanks Caboolture Field Archers.See ya round the ranges.Shrek