Yarra Bowmen Trad Shoot - September 9th

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

#31 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:20 pm

That sound like great fun Matt! A fair bit of work but.

Actually I think it would be a bit unfair to all the other teams. The Southern Horde with our 3 national clout champions would make 'mince meat' out of the opposition. :twisted:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Len

#32 Post by Len » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:49 pm

Mick , never underestimate the archers in green & white !
Hmmmmmmm.............

Lochmoy

Clout

#33 Post by Lochmoy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:56 pm

The team battle clout sounds brilliant. Better get making those sheilds. Make them big if you can and as Mick says close the gaps.

Can't wait to win. How many are coming now if you include a team of 6 from the Geelong Horde?
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

matt_d

#34 Post by matt_d » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:19 pm

Leigh at this stage, no idea! I've had very little feedback..

You lot are going to be eating your words come next Sunday :twisted:

Lochmoy

Yarra bowmen

#35 Post by Lochmoy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:04 pm

Don't worry. Trad. archers can be very casual. Hopefully you'll get voer 30. That's a good managable number

matt_d

#36 Post by matt_d » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:01 pm

What a bummer :roll: , unfortunately our organisers have backflipped and will only do the clout out to 120m.
I'm sure it will be a lot of fun anyway :D

Matt

Mick Smith

#37 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:29 pm

120 metres will be fine mate. It will be better for those using light draw weight bows too. 8)

How's the team competition arrangements coming on?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Lochmoy

Clout

#38 Post by Lochmoy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:46 pm

Never mind. It will make it a little harder to beat White Hawk.

matt_d

#39 Post by matt_d » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Probably not at this shoot Mick, being a bit unsure on numbers they haven't really anticipated there being teams competing. Team shooting is definitely something we'll definitely have to get up and running though, maybe we could have the individual archer of the year plus a team award to be presented next year at the final shoot? 8)

Matt

Lochmoy

Team league

#40 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:52 pm

I have been thinking about and working on a team competition. Hopefully I'll have it finalized in the next couple of months for next year.

Len

#41 Post by Len » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:45 pm

Hey Matt, I'm really looking forward to Sunday and was just wondering how many arrows the clout comp will be :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

matt_d

#42 Post by matt_d » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:03 pm

G'day Len,
It should be 6 x 6 arrow ends... at least I think so anyway (haven't thought to ask), the clout alone would take most of the day if we shot 12 ends as we did in the state champs - which you Leongatha fellas better be competing at next year! :D

Matt

Lochmoy

Clout

#43 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:38 pm

Remember though Matt that the Kings round only takes about 1 and one half and hour. I hope you have a novelty event or 2 up your sleeve.

Len

#44 Post by Len » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:20 am

Really looking forward to tomorrow and was just wondering is it OK to use different bows for different events as long as their both selfbow/elbs ?
Hmmmmmmm.............

matt_d

#45 Post by matt_d » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:12 pm

Len,
Of course mate! You gotta have the right tool for the job..
I was switching between my longbow and horsebow at Dunolly for various events :D

Matt

timbow

#46 Post by timbow » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:37 pm

Matt,Hugh and guys,
Fantastic event l had a great time,well run and l enjoyed the running commentary from Hugh especially!
See you guys at twin city in Nov.

cheers
Tim.

robbbo

#47 Post by robbbo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:16 pm

Managed to slip away from work for a few minutes at lunchtime and tooka couple of pics.[img][img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/ ... bow082.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/ ... bow081.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/ ... bow080.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/ ... bow079.jpg[/img][/img].

Robbbo
Life is not measured by the breaths we take,
But by the moments that take our breath away.

Len

#48 Post by Len » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:47 am

Yeah, it was a really good day, a nice setting, top shoot and the Yarra guys put on a great afternoon tea. The standard of the shooting was very high and it was great to be shooting alongside experinced archers who are willing to pass on advice. The Leongatha guys really enjoyed it and well done to the organisers and the winners on the day.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Martology

#49 Post by Martology » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:15 am

Top day!! Well done guys, you really put on a fantastic event. It was very well run and well paced, well except for the ever diminishing timed rounds but that was great!! Loved the pressure. The timed clout was great fun!

Good work on organising the weather too, you must let us know how you arranged that. You probably have some connections in high places.

I really hope you guys can set this as an annual event. Its great to see so many clubs willing to put their hand up to host an event. There is so much work that goes into it but they are truly appreciated. For your first event you really have outdone yourself.

Cant wait for the next one!
Anthony
Leongatha Medieval Society

White Hawk

Yarra Bowmen trad shoot

#50 Post by White Hawk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:47 am

Can I add my congratulations and thanks to the Yarra bowmen for putting on a superb shoot. They really lifted the bar with some exciting twists on old favorites!
The timed clout put the pressure on, and the adrenaline was pumping!

Tim, congrats on winning the Kings round, looks like storing your broad heads in your thigh did wonders for your shooting! And great to see Peter Bennet with Longbow in his hands again.

Matt D, always enjoy shooting with you, I think we bring out each others best.

Great to see some new face at the event also.

Bring on the Great Southern!

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

hardgainer

#51 Post by hardgainer » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:22 am

Great outing Yarra Bowmen...great location..ran so smooth....and a great burger. Im darn sure Hugh is the reincarnation of a old Company Sergeant Major who ran us into the ground years ago :lol: . Good to meet again with the Trad guys. Roll on the next.

Lochmoy

Yarra bowmen

#52 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:41 am

This was the first event for a while I have felt relaxed not having to run the thing! Consequently I shot my best scores for some time and am within an 8 point striking distance of my arch rival White Hawk! Do you feel my breath on your neck Whitey! Tis the Southern Fox!

Anyway, enough about my problem. What a well run day and my new favourite event was "speed clout".

By the way Mick (word) Smith can't right on this forum at the moment as his computer has died. (will give the rest of us a chance to get a few words in). He just wanted me to pass on that the Kings Round is by far his favourite event.

For the future we are looking at tweeking a few of the events this year to improve them and give some consistency so that with some events archers know what to expect and can practice them.

Eagerly anticipating the next biggest and best event. The Great Southern.

matt_d

#53 Post by matt_d » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:28 pm

I'd really like to thank everyone that came along to shoot with us for helping make it such a hugely successful day :D And how good was that speed clout!
Tim - great shooting mate, a modest but very worthy winner :D .. Not many of us could go that long without picking up a bow and then trounce the competition like you did yesterday!
Gav - Likewise! I'd have to say yesterday would be one of my fondest archery moments. Looking forward to many more neck & neck "ironman" shootouts :D

Should have some more photos up very soon..

Matt

Lochmoy

Yarra bowmen

#54 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:37 pm

Yeah, forgot to say that the Iron Archer was also excellent. Very challenging and best of all tactical. I want more!

Kieran

#55 Post by Kieran » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:18 pm

It was a great day, i had heaps of fun
I was amazed that i made it to the second round of the iron man, but only by sheer luck

Any more photos a'commin?

Kieran

Lochmoy

Yarra bowmen

#56 Post by Lochmoy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:06 pm

Really happy you enjoyed it Keiren. I was worried I'd wrecked your fun when I told you not to over draw your bow.

Yes more photos please from the ariel shots. I didn't want to have to breathe deisel for half the shoot without some reward.

hue

manningham

#57 Post by hue » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:28 pm

hi guys

Hue the Vlad here, more photos coming shortly, have to collate more than 600 of them. glad of the feedback you guys gave and we will be holding the event next year. just a word of warning though on the clout , i would practice speed as i thought that went down well but all you big boys out there had better start practicing for 120, 140 and 160 metres, i've had a brainstorm and this will work, make the clout more enjoyable, skillfull and harder. i will also incorporate a 20 and 40 metre clout for the littlies 60 and 80 metre for the lighter bows (that ought to shut Michelle up, little Johns Michelle that is) so start shooting guys, i'll be waiting for you next year

regards Vlad (aka Hue)
I can only be who I am

Lochmoy

Yarra bowmen

#58 Post by Lochmoy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:15 pm

Another comp next year. Excellent. And speed clout (drool)

Len

#59 Post by Len » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:41 pm

Like the sound of shooting clout at 160,140 and 120 at different times allowed, take us out of our comfort zones :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

Mick Smith

#60 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:24 pm

I'm finally back on line. 8)

Leigh, I reckon the king's round really sucks big time. :P I reckon it was designed by someone who had a vested interest in supplying the unfortunate competitors with new shafts and makings, after they've broken all their original ones on the butts supporting structure. :oops: :D

Apart from all this, the Yarra Bowmen must be congratulated on running an excellent and varied shoot. Well done fellas!! :wink:

I was initially a bit skeptical about the 'speed' clout, but it turned out to be great fun indeed. It actually reminded me a bit of what it might have been like in a real battle situation. The English archers at Argincourt wouldn't have had the time or the luxury of being able to watch their arrows sail in graceful arcs to see where they landed. They would have been too busy filling the sky with 'winged death'. I enjoyed the speed clout very much and strangely enough I found that I could shoot as accurately at speed as I could when I took my time, they were both mediocre. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the official photos taken on the day. I've never seen anyone go to as much trouble as using a cherry picker just for taking photos. 8)

I had a great day. The best part, as always, was catching up with old friends and checking out their new bows, etc.

Thanks again Yarra Bowmen.

Mick