Yarra Bowmen Trad Shoot - September 9th

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Lochmoy

Kings round

#61 Post by Lochmoy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:27 pm

Oh Mick you ole' joker. We all know you LOVE the kings round. (cha-ching)
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

Mick Smith

#62 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:05 pm

Lochmoy

The king's round is OK if you like shooting at FITA targets. It's never really turned me on though. Now, if you painted a bunny on one, well, that would be a different matter. :)

I noticed I wasn't the only one completely missing the butt and breaking arrows at the longer ranges. I think I even saw the eventual winner doing it. :P

Hey Matt or Hue where's all the photos? :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

matt_d

#63 Post by matt_d » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:38 pm

It was funny how the timed clout actually helped some of us increase our scores.. It was the first 20 second end I think I shot something like a 10-8-8-6-M-M which was better than I had been doing all day! :D

I'd be all for an alternative to the FITA targets.. I like the idea of a much smaller and more realistic target to focus on - but you can't keep everyone happy and I guess that's why we try to have a good variety of events.

I thought the cherry picker idea was a bit far-out at first, and I hope for you blokes shooting further down the line that inhaling the diesel fumes helped relax your shooting and the noise wasn't too distracting. I still haven't seen the photos yet Mick... hopefully the Gestapo (better known as Hue) will get his **** into gear and post them before we all forget about this one and start focusing on the next! :P

Matt

Lochmoy

targets

#64 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:40 pm

As Matt says. You can't please everyone but fita targets do help with consistency of form.

With practice over a sustained period of time long bowyers can achieve amazing scores. Jo Varden at the Nationals in 2006 at 60 meters did not shoot outside the red I believe and beat many other arcjers at the same distance who where shooting recurves with sights and stabalizers etc.

What he did was hard yes, but he was living proof that like Howard Hill a traditional archer can reach spectacular heights by skill alone, without all the do-dads.

The point is, we love the challenge of traditional because it's hard. I am never prouder than when I see a traditional archer shoot well because I know how difficult it is. If we don't hold our ability in high esteem then no one else will.

Wooden arrows were made to be broken in this noble pursuit.

Len

#65 Post by Len » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:40 am

I'm totally with Lochnoy on this, the Kings round gives us a comp that is the same regardless of whos hosting and what style of comp it is and is something where you can keep a track of your scores and follow your progress as hopefully you improve, with me its two steps up and one down again :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

GrahameA

#66 Post by GrahameA » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:29 am

Morning Leigh
Jo Varden at the Nationals in 2006 at 60 meters did not shoot outside the red I believe and beat many other arcjers at the same distance who where shooting recurves with sights and stabalizers etc.

What he did was hard yes, but he was living proof that like Howard Hill a traditional archer can reach spectacular heights by skill alone, without all the do-dads.
Howard Hill be blowed - Horace Alford Ford, please. With a longbow at long distance Hill was good, Ford was better. :D

Hard is a bit of an understatement. :shock:

Now, for the rest of us watching a "Master of the Longbow" can sometimes be disheartening.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mick Smith

#67 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:55 pm

I can understand the reasons for using the king's round with FITA targets. It surely does separate the mediocre from the gifted and in that respect it does it's job.

I suppose the main reasons why I don't particularly like this event are that I much prefer to shoot instinctively and you just can't at 50 metres, as it's necessary to 'gap' shoot and secondly, I tend to lose focus on the bullseye on those huge targets and end up shooting at the whole target with the unfortunate, but very expected results. I just get bored I suppose and my minds wanders ....

Most of us will never be a Howard Hill or a Horace Alford Ford or even a Joe Varden. Sometimes I do have flashes of brilliance, unfortunately they are followed invariably by lengthy periods of dull mediocrity or even downright incompetence. It doesn't worry me though, as I'm more than happy, if on the odd occasion I do well, by my standards.

It's all good and well to talk about or even revere champions of our sport, but when it's all said and done, for every champion there's lots and lots of 'also rans'. It's good to aspire to reach the high standards set by the greats, but the reality of the situation is that most of us never will, we just don't have and never will have what it takes. This isn't 'defeatism', I believe it's just facing facts.

Anyway enough of this whining and under-achiever talk, where's those photos?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

longbow steve

#68 Post by longbow steve » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:26 pm

Mick, believe it or not you are a Champion of our sport and one to aspire to. Your energy for archery is obvious and you have no doubt inspired others as much as you have inspired me.
Also you have more hats and quivers than anyone else I know. :lol: Steve

timbow

#69 Post by timbow » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:34 pm

Mick,
l can,t beleive that your saying this you old bugger!!
maybe you should take up knitting if its too hard for you .
Just kidding mate ,l have shot plenty of times with you and your a fine shot!
Mate you got me started on making my first arrows after seeing the effort that you put into your arrows l was inspired.

Maybe you could try instinctive for closer distance and switch over to point of aim for further distances .Do you know your point plank range of the bow your using mate.
Anyway good luck with it l,m shore you will be winning the kings round soon enough!!

Cheers Tim. .

Mick Smith

#70 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:02 pm

How are you going Steve? Yes mate, I reckon I would almost have to hold the record for the highest number of hats at least. :lol:

I re-read my last post and it does sound very negative. I suppose what I wanted to say is that I see myself as a hunter and not a target shooter. Shooting at FITA targets just doesn't appeal to me as much as shooting at other targets. I look upon 3D events as good practice and great fun in their own right. I suppose my lack of enthusiasm is half the reason I never shoot well in the king's round.

I really like 3D events and animal target field rounds, they're easily my favorite and I suppose my results are better in these events because I enjoy them much more.

Don't get me wrong, I do actually sort of enjoy shooting the king's round, it's just that I get a lot more enjoyment out of shooting just about any other sort of event. Novelty events can be great fun too.

Tim

I don't know about me being a fine shot, but thanks anyway mate. :wink:

I do find shooting a bow with any consistency hard, but that's what has kept me interested in archery all these years. I know all my gaps at the various distances, but I often find myself reverting to instinctive when I start losing concentration or start thinking about some other aspect of my shooting that isn't working properly. At longer ranges this means my arrow usually goes very low.

Mick

By the way, I didn't start this subject, so if any readers are getting bored reading this self centred tripe, you can blame Lochmoy. :P

Lochmoy

Kings round

#71 Post by Lochmoy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:05 pm

Hey Mick,

Welcome back. You must have done CPR on that computer of yours.

You are one of the best crack shots I've seen. You have an uncanny ability to hit a rabbit. Your contribution to trad. archery has inspired me and many others.

All I was actually meaning was that with application we can demonstrate that trad. archery has a legitimate claim as a pursuit that takes great skill and should be respected. Too often I have witnessed derision by some non-traditionals and a lack of appreciation of the mastery of trad.

Even though we cannot all be Jo Vardens or Howard Hills there is nothing wrong to aspiring to their level if one wishes to. Originally the kings round was chosen as a consistent event so that those with a penchant for target archery have a chance to strut their stuff outside AA. It's also an event that can fairly easily be put on by most clubs and groups.

White Hawk

kings round

#72 Post by White Hawk » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:24 am

for what it is worth, my view on target rounds is that they are there to test not only a trad archers ability to group arrows, but their ability to remain focused for extended amounts of time. This is where the real challenge of target archery lays. It is hard to stay focused for that length of time. There is a real sense of satisfaction when you manage to achieve it.

Also physically it is a challenge, to shoot that amount of arrows in one go tests our physical capabilities.

And at the end of the day as with all these events it is about variety. Trad events are all about trying as many disciplines as possible. That is the true joy of trad, the sheer amount of events that are possible with a stickbow!

chao!

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Len

#73 Post by Len » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:38 pm

Spot on Gav, I had stiff shoulders after the Yarra valley shoot for a couple of days after and I think the target rounds prove you have to be reasonbly fit to shoot arrow after arrow at a reasonable draw wieght bow with some consistincy. Would like to add that I've learnt more about archery from shooting along side Gav and Mick Smith at these shoots then I could ever learn just from reading and shooting on my own, thanks fellas, much appreciated :D
Hmmmmmmm.............

Kieran

#74 Post by Kieran » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:22 pm

anyone got anymore photos from the day?