Yarra Valley Archery Park Trad tournament 2007

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

White Hawk

Yarra Valley Archery Park Trad tournament 2007

#1 Post by White Hawk » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:29 pm

.... what's that I hear you all say!? Your cup runneth over!?
yes, that's right November is officially trad archery month in Victoria.

Attached is a PDF of the FINAL event for 2007, set in a beautiful part of the state. This is your last chance to be in the running for the Archer of the Year award for 2007. All the presentations for the various bow categories will be presented after the event.

see you there

Gav

ps: fewwww what a year!
Attachments
Yarraarcheryparkflyer2007.pdf
(152.04 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Lochmoy

Yarra Valley Park comp

#2 Post by Lochmoy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:55 pm

Golly, golly gosh. I can't wait for November. And I even beat Mick to comment first on ozbow. A world first!
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:23 pm

Not by much!!!

We're going to be busy alright, come November. :? It's gunna be a big, big month for us. 8)

At least we won't have a chance to get rusty during the month, we won't have time.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Len

#4 Post by Len » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:50 am

Gee I'm gunna end up looking like Arnie ( a short version ) with all these events and pulling nearly 70lb all day :lol:
Hmmmmmmm.............

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:26 am

You're a wirey buggar Len. :shock: If you keep going in that direction, you might be one of the very few, who have drawn a bow that's heavier than their own weight. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Lochmoy

Len

#6 Post by Lochmoy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:20 pm

I would need a very large bow to pull my own weight!

Abaci

#7 Post by Abaci » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:23 am

Next tournament to look forward to... so who's coming along?

I will be there and hopefully I'll have some more arrows... I have only 6 left in one set and 10 left of the phoenix ones... so I'm going to make an extra good 8 arrows that go with my original 6...

Hope to see some of you there.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:03 pm

Unfortunately I can't make this one due to family commitments, but I'll definitely be at the Ballarat shoot on the last weekend of November. 8)

Mick

jfruitcake

#9 Post by jfruitcake » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:24 pm

John and I and the 2 biys plan to be there, but as we willbe camping any sight of rain and I am piking ..............

Michelle
Michelle, John & 3 three getting bloody big rugrats

Lochmoy

Yarra Valley Park comp

#10 Post by Lochmoy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:19 pm

OK, Let's put aside the Great Southern for a while and give our attention to the next installment at Yarra Valley Archery Park. There will be a lot of the old faces there but quite a few new ones and some that couldn't make it to the Great Southern.

I am looking forward to this event as it will have an indoor component and a horse bow challenge. Now don't fret. If you don't have a horsebow I will lend you mine. I have a 42# er that most people will be able to use and for the lower poundage Wildwood should be able to find something as long as you have some lower spined arrows.

We have a box horse from which the archer has to, while sitting, shoot behind, to the side and to the front. Can be quite a challenge but when we did it last year people absolutely loved it.

See everyone there but give Ian a phone call and let him know you're coming so he can cater.

Mike-dy

#11 Post by Mike-dy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:35 pm

Did you see the horse my son was sitting on in the putting names to faces thread? Seems to have disappeared now?
A moving horse makes it quite challenging to do those three shots Lochmoy :)
Cheers,
Mike

Lochmoy

Horse

#12 Post by Lochmoy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding. This horse won't be moving. It's a gymnastics box horse.

Mike-dy

#13 Post by Mike-dy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:19 am

I gathered it wouldn't be moving, thought the horsebow guys might have been interested in the moving horse. It was used at the southern grampians shoot as a fun shoot , the kids didn't want too stop.
Cheers,
Mike

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:15 am

Morning Mike
Mike-dy wrote:Did you see the horse my son was sitting on in the putting names to faces thread? Seems to have disappeared now?
A moving horse makes it quite challenging to do those three shots Lochmoy :)
Cheers,
Mike
You had me worried there. The post is still there as if the photo of the "Horse". Always get concerned when stuff "disappears".
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mike-dy

#15 Post by Mike-dy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:33 pm

Its back for me now, I was getting a topic not available message when I last posted?

Cheers,
Mike

Lochmoy

Yarra Valley Park comp

#16 Post by Lochmoy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Just thought I'd put it up on top to remind people to phone if you are coming

jfruitcake

#17 Post by jfruitcake » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:05 am

Not sure if we will be there or not now, Zachary was on a 300km bike hike with school this week and had a bad crash 1km from the first night stop on Monday he was rushed to Wangaratta hospital and spent the night there and most of yesterday.

He hasn't actually broken anything but his face is a huge mess and his knee and shoulder and he was unconscious and has lost about an hour from his memory.

and I'm tired after racing up there and sitting by his bed all night and now at work at 7am to try to catch up on yesterday :-)

when does it end.

Abaci

#18 Post by Abaci » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:26 am

Hope everything's okay Michelle. I suppose you'd already know but kids can be tough things. Tell him I hope he feels better soon and hope you're not too stressed out at the moment.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

Mick Smith

#19 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:03 pm

jfruitcake

I hope Zachary is feeling well very soon. :wink:

We'll see you and the family at Ballarat, hopefully.

Mick

Mick Smith

#20 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:37 pm

Good luck tomorrow to all you lucky people who are going to this shoot.

Could you please take plenty of photos, so I can at least get some idea of what it was like? :D

Mick

jfruitcake

#21 Post by jfruitcake » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:53 am

Hope you all have a great weekend.

See you all next year - Ballarat is the same weekend as MMFAT Melbourne Medieval Fayre and Tourney :-)

Mick Smith

#22 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:25 am

Did any Ozbowers go to this event?

I'd love to see some photos and a few words about how it went, seeing as I was stuck at home and unable to go. :?

Mick

Mick Smith

#23 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:34 pm

Anyone?

hardgainer

#24 Post by hardgainer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:17 pm

Cant help on this one Mick..love to hear some comment though. Looks like the Ballarat forecast for 24th /25th is good one. :D
Should be a few there Friday night.
Tony S.

Lochmoy

Yarra Valley Park comp

#25 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:19 pm

Hi Guys,

The comp. went well but as Gavin and I were too busy and noone seemed to be in the mood to take photos due to the heat and the rain and the heat and the rain and the heat......I don't believe any were taken. A first I know but suffice to say we actually had a great time. Overall numbers were down to about 20 due to the event being bookended by the Great Southern and Ballarat but everyone had a great weekend and the hosts Ian and Amanda could not have been nicer.

Gavin Len Sven and myself talked long and hard about various events happening in 2008 but it's been a long year of events and I need some time to recover.

Stay tuned for the 2008 Southern Trad. series. Looks like 6 events are planned and as we have learned so much this year they are going to be bigger and better.

Len

#26 Post by Len » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:13 am

I could only make it for the Sunday but it was a great day with a great clout comp and as usual was great to catch up with my archery buddies. It was unusual weather, wet & cold then hot then wet and steamy. Very well run and a great spot, I know I had a ball and can't wait for next seasons comps.
Hmmmmmmm.............

hardgainer

#27 Post by hardgainer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:48 am

Great to hear all went well ... No doubt we are very fortunate to have a couple of guys like Leigh and Gav of Wildwood driving these events. They no doubt take a lot of time and effort to pull together. 2008 is going to be a year to look forward to. Shame that unfortunatley a number of clubs do not offer reasonable options for the stick and string and are not "Trad scene" friendly :( so this makes these events so much more important to us all. Thanks for 2007 guys. :D

Mick Smith

#28 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:11 pm

Lochmoy

It would be nice if the trad shoots next year were a bit more spread out over the year, rather than having nearly all of them clumped together in November. I suppose things will naturally run a little better next time around.

I realise that most clubs would prefer to have their trad shoots in the spring when the weather is near perfect, but the weather is is fickle and we've had some really nice shoots in the winter months, take Dunolly for example.

Having our traditional shoots more spread out would be a great benefit to the competitors. It would enable us to keep our skill levels up, over the entire year.

Personally, I didn't mind the oppresive heat that we experienced at the Leongatha shoot. Admittedly, the venue was almost perfect for the conditions though, with all the beautiful old shade trees. I don't think we should discard the hottest months outright.

It certainly would be nice to have the shoots evenly spaced out though the year, in my opinion.

Tony

I'm not certain whether I'll be arriving at Ballarat on the Friday night or early on Saturday morning. I'll certainly be there though. I won't be missing this shoot. 8)

Mick

Lochmoy

Insight into organising. One chumps experience

#29 Post by Lochmoy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:05 pm

A lot of things go on behind the scenes. Organising is extremely difficult at times.

In 2007 I did everything I humanly could to encourage events to be spread out. When one is attempting to organise something like this much of ones decision making is taken out of ones hands.

I nearly had apoplexy trying to arrange dates at times so they wouldn't conflict. I spent hours upon hours contacting, doing up flyers and in one case having to pass a re-enactment course to qualify as a "Steward of the Line" just so I could get insurance!

I jumped through hoops, kidded, cujoled and arm twisted. I was ridiculed by some and driven batty by others. I answered a million questions and I reasurred those that were worried. AND I'D DO IT ALL AGAIN as the year was fantastic and we built a great foundation in Victoria for future years

Weather played virtually no part in any decision as it is too fickle to ever worry about. We had heat waves and blizzards and people still shot because they love it. Weather will not be a consideration next year either.

The Yarra Valley Archery Park was organised 9 months in advance. The Great Southern and Ballarat dates came months later. I had planned for the Great Southern to be in October to avoid the crush but it was not to be. So given all that in 2008 the following months now each have one event and details will be forwarded shortly.

March
April
June
August
Sept
Oct
Nov

Gosh I reckon that's pretty spread out enough

Mick Smith

#30 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:11 am

Lochmoy

It sounds as though you've done very well by golly by gosh. :D

Mick