Great Southern Traditional Archery tournament 2007

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

White Hawk

Great Southern Traditional Archery tournament 2007

#1 Post by White Hawk » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:36 pm

After the overwhelming success of the first Great Southern Traditional Tournament at Geelong, with archers coming from as far away as WA, (yes that you Wing and Anysia!) the event which is now a roving event is being hosted by the Twin City Archers in Morwell Victoria on November 3rd and 4th 2007.

Twin City Archers are one of the premier clubs in Victoria having hosted many big events at national and state level. Their facilities are first rate, and added to this there huge indoor range is a sight to behold!

Attached is the front page of the flyer as a jpg and the information sheet as a PDF for you to download and send in entry's and outlining all the details.

hope to see you there

regards

Gavin
Attachments
FLYERtwincity07a.jpg
FLYERtwincity07a.jpg (93.34 KiB) Viewed 6931 times
FLYERtwincity07b.pdf
(105.54 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:37 pm

Thanks Gav!

I've heard that this event is going to be bigger than Ben Hur. 8)

Apparently there is going to be some very interesting new events at this new venue, including some indoor events and a huge number (30?) of 3D targets.

I believe there will be on-site camping available for visiting competitors, should they choose to 'rough it'. :)

It promises to be a great event. What a great way to start a truly great month of traditional archery for us lucky Victorians (plus a very welcome number of keen and adventurous interstate visitors).

Our very own Ozbow member 'timbow' is the main driving force behind this great effort and he is being assisted by our never tiring and hard working duo, Lochmoy and White Hawk. Thanks fellas!! :wink:

The Great Southern Traditional Tournament is getting bigger and better every year.

If you have the chance to be there, do yourself a favour and go. It will be the biggest and the best ever for us 'mud monkeys' here in Victoria. I hope to see you there. :wink:

Mick

PS. If you're having a bit of trouble seeing Gavin's attached flyer, try a 'right click' and select 'save as' .... It took me a while to work it out. :D
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

timbow

#3 Post by timbow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:30 am

Mick,
We hope to make this event one of the best 2day events ever held in Victoria. Yes there will be a 30 target 3d course and the also the kings round, and clout.The clout l am hoping to make it more traditional. It should be very different to what will all are used to. There will also be a number of novelty events including Saturday night an Indoor night 3d, various running targets. bow bird.etc.It is going to be a fantastic event .
There will be food availible at breakfast & lunch times at very reasonable rates,as well as a dinner saturday night.
Hope to see all you Trad brothers there.

Cheers Tim.

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:51 pm

Tim

We're lucky that your facility at Twin City has such great amenities. An indoor 3D night shoot!! There's no many places where we could do that. 8)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've been 'cooking up' for us.

What are the camping facilites like mate? Are there showers, etc? Is it sheltered from the wind by a few trees?

I suppose there's a few motels in the area, where people could stay.

It sounds as though its going to be really something. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Lochmoy

Great Sothern shoot

#5 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:45 pm

I am so excited about this event I fair nearly wet myself!
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

timbow

#6 Post by timbow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:25 pm

hi trad shooters.

lochmoy control that excitement !!
People regarding camping at twin city there is limited camping available with interstate people getting first priority as we only have one shower& a few toilets.So there will be a small fee off $10.00 PER PERSON for the use of these facilities.

Listed below are a few reasonably priced motels.

Coal valley motor inn,ph 51346211
Farnham crt motel, ph 51346878
Cedar lodge motor inn,ph 51345877

Lochmoy even that it is still a few months off l,m getting pretty excited too.

Good on ya Mick for getting things started! Cheers Tim.

Len

#7 Post by Len » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:13 pm

This is going to be huge ! And its only 1 hour from Leongatha :D Its my goal to get a good LMS team together for this event and I know its going to be a cracker !
Hmmmmmmm.............

gundy

#8 Post by gundy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:48 pm

Trust you guys to have it while I am away for work...

Dont suppose you could push it forward a week? :D

Oh....okay... :shock:

Seriously, sorry I am going to miss this one.

Lochmoy

Great Sothern shoot

#9 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:38 pm

Len,

I expect from you guys alone to have 15 to 20 archers. Geelong should field close to that number also. Can you imagine 100 archers lined up. What an awesome sight it will be!

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:56 pm

thanks for the flyer printout hint Mick, I just thought I was being a little blonder than usual.
Save us a spot.
sue

Lochmoy

Great Sothern shoot

#11 Post by Lochmoy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi Little arrows. It will be fun to see (and beat) you guys again!

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:14 pm

Lochmoy

Umm ... I think Steve won the last event down this way. :D

Sue

It will be great to see you guys again though. :wink:

Mick

timbow

#13 Post by timbow » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:26 am

Gungy,

perhaps you can take sick leave!!!!!
Its going to be really good mate,Anyway the clubs open every sat &sun, and tueday nights so it would be good to finaly meet mate.As you are only half an hour away.

lochmoy,
l,m ready to beat you and gavin again,oops! already said that haven,t l at clout, l well we have to let you win something fellows!!!!!

Steve & Sue ,

It will be good to finaly meet you there mate,For all those archers out there Steve is the man from Wallace woods ,make sure you all get a good look at his arrows.His the best fletcher in australia!

Cheers fellows its going to be great.

MaylandL

#14 Post by MaylandL » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:29 am

hmmm, Anysia and I may not be able to make it this time round. I'm in the process of changing jobs and may not have the leave entitlement to travel. Also we've had some large bills come through recently.

Will have to play this by ear for the moment. The program of events sounds fantastic and we'd love to bring the new Grozer Hunnish Bows with us this time.

Lets see how this goes. Happy shooting :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:26 pm

Mayland

I sure hope that things work out and that you can still come to the Great Southern Traditional Archery Tournament. We're all hanging out to see your new Grozer bows. :D

We're also looking forward to meeting up with you and Anysia again. 8) What about the remainder of the Western Horde will they still come even if you and Anysia don't? :shock:

Don't worry about the bills mate, you can pay them later and as far as getting leave from work is concerned, well, that's why they invented 'sickies'. :D Come on mate, you can make it happen if you want. :wink:

I really do hope to see you there. :D

Mick

archangel

#16 Post by archangel » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:57 pm

Mick wrote:
What about the remainder of the Western Horde will they still come even if you and Anysia don't?

:roll: I have to say I get jealous every time I read about the great trad competitions you guys are able to attend! As one of the "Western Horde" I'm sorry I can't make it either - School holidays never seem to coincide with these shoots. Real pity MaylandL and Anysia are not able to represent us this year as well. Hope you all really enjoy the weekend and extend best wishes to Timbow and crew - may their hard work be rewarded. Looking forward to more photos coming soon ...
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." (Michelangelo Buonarroti)

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by greybeard » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:45 pm

All going well, I will be there.
It will be good to put faces to names.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mick Smith

#18 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:58 pm

archangel and the rest of the Western Horde

I was looking forward to a bit of friendly East V's West rivalry too. :?
Maybe next year fellas. :wink:

Greybeard

I'm looking forward to meeting you there . 8) I know you won't be hard to recognise. :wink:

Mick

timbow

#19 Post by timbow » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:51 pm

Grey beard,

Good to have another inerstater traveling all that way to Victoria for our trad event .

Fantastic effort , look forward to meeting you .

Cheers Tim.

Hood

#20 Post by Hood » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:25 pm

Pitty it's the same week of the pending birth of our second :(
Anyway sounds like it'll be a blast.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

MaylandL

#21 Post by MaylandL » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:21 pm

Well guess I should make it official

Anysia and I wont be able to make the shoot this year :x :(

I just started the new job and I wont be entitled to leave until next year :roll:

We're real disappointed about it but we are thinking about another shoot middle of next year to catch up with with the trad gang we met last year.

Anyway have fun at the shoot and please post lots of pics.

Happy shooting :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Lochmoy

Great Sothern shoot

#22 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:09 pm

Just got a phone call to say that the Northern Horde is coming to the Great Southern. Little Arrows et al!

Most will be here for the whole month so they can do the 3 November events. Now that's committment.

I am told also they are working on producing Australian made 3D targets. Can't wait to try them out. That's what we need in Oz.

Mick Smith

#23 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:43 pm

That is committment alright!! It will be great to see you guys again, right through the whole month of November. I'll be keen to see and hear more about the Australian made 3D targets too. 8)

It's shaping up to be a great month indeed. :wink:

Mick

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#24 Post by greybeard » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:45 pm

Hi,
For the invaders from the north I have put in a link to a location map. You can scroll to zoom in or out on the map.

Daryl.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=e ... &z=14&om=1
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Lochmoy

Map

#25 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:56 pm

Much appreciated Greybeard

timbow

#26 Post by timbow » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:50 am

Thanks Greybeard,
Been focusing on making targets and other things for the event that l totally forgot to post a map.
Only 3 weeks to go until the GREAT SOUTHERN TOURNAMENT so please get your entry forms in .

Regards Tim.

Scuzza

#27 Post by Scuzza » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:06 pm

Gnome and myself will be attending!!! possible one other

we would like to camp if there is still camping area available

Will we need to send an entry form Timbow??

Thanks for that link Greybeard, we will be needing it

Scuzz

Mick Smith

#28 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:20 pm

I'm delighted to see that so many interstate archers will be attending this shoot. It's certainly going to 'lift' this traditional event into something approaching a semi-national event, or at least something with a national flavour to it.

We haven't been blessed with anything of the likes of the bigs shoots they have in Queensland and NSW down here in Victoria, until now. I know for a fact that we're going to witness some mighty impressive shooting over the two days.

I'm really looking forward to this shoot and that includes seeing just what timbow has in store for us in the way of challenging and fun shots. I know he's been very busy and secretive as well.

This one is going to be something special for sure. 8)

Mick

Scuzza

#29 Post by Scuzza » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:41 pm

I agree, this shoot sounds awesome

i especially like the idea of secretive challenges!!

I am always interested in seeing the talent in other areas, ive attended the gathering many times, and tully once, and i enjoyed every event, i figured a shoot down the other end of aus where ive never been before will be an interesting adventure 8)

I look forward to meeting you all

Scuzz

flyne

#30 Post by flyne » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:29 pm

how many arrows do you think one will need keeping in mind im a s#!t shot and will prob only had the bow about 2 week's prior
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing