AA Victoria State Comp

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

maskn

AA Victoria State Comp

#1 Post by maskn » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:06 pm

I would like to congradulate Gavin (whitehawk) Troy (gehndo) and Leigh (lochomy) for comming 1st, 2nd & 3rd in todays AA clout shoot!!

Well done!

Go the GSH!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:56 pm

Congrat fellas, great shooting!!!

Jeff

matt_d

#3 Post by matt_d » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:19 pm

It was fantastic to see so many longbows there today! Actually we weren't too far off outnumbering all those other ugly modern contraptions with things hanging off them :D An awesome turnout and a great day for traditional archery, and what is especially good is seeing it meld and become more and more popular in target archery circles.

The weather was almost ideal for clout, the food was great (and cheap, $2 for a hamburger with the lot!) Shooting just clout for the entire day turned out to be mentally exhausting, and so was the scoring! It takes a little over a minute to shoot your six arrows, and then about 15 minutes to go down and score them... repeat that 12 times!

Some great shooting by the boys from Geelong with Gav, Leigh and Troy taking the honours... not to mention Norm and Hue from Yarra Bowmen taking out the veterans longbow class! :D

Here are a few photos from the day:
Attachments
Look at all those longbows!!
Look at all those longbows!!
DSC00553.JPG (113.54 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
DSC00569.JPG
DSC00569.JPG (115.81 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
DSC00578.JPG
DSC00578.JPG (92.82 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
DSC00593.JPG
DSC00593.JPG (74.85 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
DSC00611.JPG
DSC00611.JPG (56.54 KiB) Viewed 3611 times

gehndo

#4 Post by gehndo » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:55 pm

Damn. I've pretty much only just gotten home and this is already up.
It was a great day, despite the cloud cover, with very little wind - so we couldn't blame it for any bad shots.
It was a close run for second and third, with three or four of us being about 10 points appart for the last three ends.
Of course, Gav was about 50+ points ahead so first place was fairly certain in the Mens Open.
I think a good day was had by all. Many kudos to the hosts, who did a great job on the day.

Lochmoy

Clout

#5 Post by Lochmoy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:16 pm

TEAM WILDWOOD 1, 2, 3!!!!!!

GO TEAM!

Check out the cool beanies!
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

maskn

#6 Post by maskn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:58 am

gehndo wrote:Damn. I've pretty much only just gotten home and this is already up.
It was a great day, despite the cloud cover, with very little wind - so we couldn't blame it for any bad shots.
It was a close run for second and third, with three or four of us being about 10 points appart for the last three ends.
Of course, Gav was about 50+ points ahead so first place was fairly certain in the Mens Open.
I think a good day was had by all. Many kudos to the hosts, who did a great job on the day.

Yeah sorry couldn't help myself!!! :oops:

I'm glad all the practice you guys did payed off!

Did Gav get his arrows in time?

longbow steve

#7 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:53 am

Congrats guys, Close scores aswell :) .
The Tomohawk bow stands out in the crowd, did he have a problem with over shooting the clout by chance? :lol: Steve

Len

#8 Post by Len » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Bloody great and well done guys !
Hmmmmmmm.............

White Hawk

VIC clout titles

#9 Post by White Hawk » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:00 pm

What a fun day. If there is one thing I love more than shooting my trad bows it is the good natured 'sledging' that goes on at the line and on the long stroll to the clout! I spent most of the day laughing! Good for the soul.

congrats to all the competitors who took the time to support the Waverely archers fantastic effort in running a smooth well oiled event once again.

Clout lives!

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

matt_d

#10 Post by matt_d » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:48 pm

Steve - Yeah that was me with the Tomahawk, its only 55# but your assumption is correct, I was having a bit of trouble controlling my distance even with the 600gn arrows I shot on the day! I had to either shoot at a ridiculously low or high angle, or shorten my draw by a fair amount which is what I ended up doing.. I can't blame that for my poor shooting on the day.. I'm blaming Tim for that cos he jinxed me on the very first end.

Any of you guys going to the indoors in Moe in a months time?

- Matt

Lochmoy

Clout

#11 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:26 pm

Geez it is good to see all those lovely brown long bows lined up together and shooting them together. Really great pics. It has stirred me. Next year we have a bunch of Leongatha boys there as well I'd warrant.

I am formulating an idea where we have, at least in Victoria Trad teams/ from different clubs or locations/geographical areas creating some sort of league. Dunno exactly but the increasing popularity of this pastime is allowing all sorts of creative ideas to happen.

An idea might be that the teams would be made up of archers who are coming together from groups. eg team wildwood and the Leongatha mob already are starting to sport their colours. I am sure something interesting could evolve. Any ideas would be welcome.

I just like the idea of some sort of team that is not beholding to any club necessarily. They are attached but kind of independent.

I am probably just talking crap but I reckon there is something new happening.
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

Len

#12 Post by Len » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:32 am

Leigh, some of us Leongatha guys are indeed talking about this event for next year. I like your idea about a leage or something and youre right, I think there is a growing feeling of trad archery is about to really take off.
Hmmmmmmm.............