Dunolly 2 Day Traditional Shoot 2007

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

#31 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:05 pm

Well, we're just about there, time wise. No work for me tomorrow, I'll be packing the car for an early get away, followed by a relaxing drive. 8) Here I come Dunolly!!! 8)

I've got the camera batteries fully recharged, and my new flu-flu's made up and ready for that 'popinjay' thing-a-ma-jig, so I'm ready for anything. :?

All I hope now is that the weather is going to be kind to us, everything else will look after itself. 8)

Looking forward to seeing some of you there. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

timbow

#32 Post by timbow » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:25 pm

Mick,
have a good time Mick get plenty of pics mate.
Can,t make this event because of injury,
Regards Tim.

Mick Smith

#33 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:24 pm

Tim

Get better soon mate. :wink:

That was a real bit of bad luck you had there. :? In a way you were lucky that it wasn't a lot worse.

I'll take plenty of photos so, at least you will be able to get some idea of what the Dunolly shoot was like. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#34 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:57 pm

Well, we're just back from the Dunolly shoot and boy, we had a ball!! 8)

This was the first tournament the Dunolly club has put on and what a job they did! The competitors were treated like royalty, well almost, they didn't let us walk away with all the prizes though. They have some very tough competitors. :D The event was organised like clockwork and it went off without a hitch.

The food was plentiful and very tasty. 8)

My thanks to all the people involved in the Golden Triange Archers for their dedication and efforts. :wink:

The weather was almost perfect. It would have been perfect except for the frosts each morning. The warm sunshine overcame the cold conditions by around 10am each morning. 8)

Heres a few photos that I took. I was shooting as well as taking photos, therefor there's lots of shots that I couldn't take. The subject matter isn't as varied as it could have been, but I only had the opportunity to take shots of my group in the field course event and a few shots of the groups coming before and after ours.

Mick
Attachments
Dunolly    Lochmoy shoots  Matt watches.JPG
Dunolly Lochmoy shoots Matt watches.JPG (121.41 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
Dunolly     Matt shoots his Tomahawk .JPG
Dunolly Matt shoots his Tomahawk .JPG (110.8 KiB) Viewed 4790 times
Dunolly   David shoots the popinjay.JPG
Dunolly David shoots the popinjay.JPG (107.96 KiB) Viewed 4791 times

Mick Smith

#35 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:07 pm

Here a few more ....
Attachments
Dunolly   Jeff Blakey shoots osage orange bow.JPG
Dunolly Jeff Blakey shoots osage orange bow.JPG (105.52 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
Dunolly   Mick and Owen Smith outside tent.JPG
Dunolly Mick and Owen Smith outside tent.JPG (51.73 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
Dunolly   Nev, Peter, Steve, Mick, Peter & Gav.JPG
Dunolly Nev, Peter, Steve, Mick, Peter & Gav.JPG (55.56 KiB) Viewed 4778 times

Mick Smith

#36 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:11 pm

and a few more ...
Attachments
Dunolly   Owen shooting in the field round.JPG
Dunolly Owen shooting in the field round.JPG (73.17 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
Dunolly   Peter scores for our group.JPG
Dunolly Peter scores for our group.JPG (80.3 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
Dunolly   The 50 metre King's round line.JPG
Dunolly The 50 metre King's round line.JPG (66.39 KiB) Viewed 4774 times

Mick Smith

#37 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:14 pm

and a few more ...
Attachments
Dunolly  Mick Smith shoots thru hole.JPG
Dunolly Mick Smith shoots thru hole.JPG (91.53 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
Dunolly  Shooting the backwards running goat.JPG
Dunolly Shooting the backwards running goat.JPG (59.46 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
Dunolly  Steve Lyons shoots fox thr hole.JPG
Dunolly Steve Lyons shoots fox thr hole.JPG (107.15 KiB) Viewed 4770 times

Mick Smith

#38 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:17 pm

and some more ...
Attachments
Dunolly  The running goat from behind.JPG
Dunolly The running goat from behind.JPG (60.45 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
Dunolly  The unfortunate goat.JPG
Dunolly The unfortunate goat.JPG (60.53 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
Dunolly Lochmoy from elevated stand.JPG
Dunolly Lochmoy from elevated stand.JPG (69.55 KiB) Viewed 4766 times

Mick Smith

#39 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:21 pm

and some more ...
Attachments
Dunolly Lochmoy shoots.JPG
Dunolly Lochmoy shoots.JPG (73.12 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
Dunolly White Hawk (Gav) shoots.JPG
Dunolly White Hawk (Gav) shoots.JPG (112.5 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
Dunolly selecting teams 1st day.JPG
Dunolly selecting teams 1st day.JPG (64.42 KiB) Viewed 4769 times

Mick Smith

#40 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:25 pm

and I think this is the last one ...
Attachments
Dunolly   Owen shoots Ben Pearson bow.JPG
Dunolly Owen shoots Ben Pearson bow.JPG (121.21 KiB) Viewed 4759 times

Len

#41 Post by Len » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Great stuff Mick , looking forward to hearing all the details.
Hmmmmmmm.............

timbow

#42 Post by timbow » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:18 pm

Yeh great photos mick,
Did Owen out shoot Dad again!!Good photo of how they did there running goat ,was it pulled along by hand!

Tim.

Mick Smith

#43 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:39 pm

Len

You should have come mate, it was a really good shoot. It's going to be on again next year. I'll be there for sure. 8)

I can't remember who won all the trophies. In the field course, Peter from Dunolly came first, Gavin came second, and Mike from Dunolly came third. They're tough nuts to crack up there. :shock: :D Our very own Abaci (Michelle) won the womens events. I think Gav won the King's round. My boy, Owen won the junior field shoot (and the knife throwing).
There were lots of other winners and place getters, but I just can't remember who won what. We were all winners in reality.

Tim

At least Owen won a few prizes and that's more than can be said of his old man. I didn't shoot very well, as usual, but I think I ended up doing reasonably well overall. I enjoyed myself anyway.

The running goat was pulled up the rope to the top and was then released to run backwards down again. It was fun to shoot at. It might look a bit dangerous in the photos for the people pulling the rope, but they're well back out of the way in reality.

I was just looking at the quality of the photos and they're a bit fuzzy. It must be the camera. :wink: :D

Mick

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#44 Post by greybeard » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:12 pm

Hi Mick,
Thanks for the great photos.
It looks as though the ranges are set up in a picturesque location.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

jfruitcake

A great weekend

#45 Post by jfruitcake » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:03 am

Hey guys,

We had a great time on the weekend and I would like to thank the Dunnolly club. They were extremely well organised and the way the events were set up was great. The five of us all had a great time considering we all shot so badly. I am a little scared though that most of my family won the knife throwing and axe throwing.

Katharine loves her 2 trophies they are going to show and tell today.

But we had a fantastic weekend, the weather was beautiful the shooting fun and the company brilliant. Thanks Dunnolly.

The one scary thing from the weekend is that most of us were out-shot by a five year old, I think we have all seen a future Olympic champion I think Andy and Jeena( hope i spelt that right) should be Olympic coaches. Watch out for the name Jack Gulen.

See you all on the 9th of September at Yarra Bowmens shoot.
Michelle, John & 3 three getting bloody big rugrats

GrahameA

#46 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:35 am

Mick

Well done on the photos and Shooting as well. Your photography is improving all the time.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Abaci

Another Thanks

#47 Post by Abaci » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:30 am

Great Photo's Mick,
It was a great weekend with perhaps a little too much port from Mike one of the Golden Triangle archers and event organisers. Thanks to Him, Jenny, Andy and the rest of the team for a fantastic event.
I'm looking forward to it next year and hopefully we'll see a few of them down at the Yarra Bowmen in September.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

White Hawk

Dunolly shoot

#48 Post by White Hawk » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:37 am

Hi all,
just want to add my congratulations to the Dunolly crew for putting on such a fantastic shoot! It is always a big ask to put on an event and you folks excelled. Very well organised, a great range of different events, and great food on offer all weekend. Must say a big thanks to the ladies in the kitchen for making sure we were all well feed and energised for the weekend. Fantastic to see plenty of families enjoying the sport with each other as well.
As for my group of shooters for the weekend, Peter Coombes, you are an inspirational shooter, raising the bar for us all, Pete Neale for taking on scoring duties all weekend and teaching us the rules of the round, Nev, Mick and Steve for making my weekend as much fun as it was, lot of laughs and ribbing!

I think Mick's photos give a good impression of the success of the weekend.

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

matt_d

#49 Post by matt_d » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:03 am

What a great weekend! :D Dunolly archery club are great hosts, they went to a lot of effort and put on a flawless shoot..
They have some wonderful people there and I encourage anyone who couldn't make it this year for whatever reason to pencil it in on next years calender because its definitely one that is not to be missed!

They had some truly unique events which most of us had never even seen before... The popinjay - where we were shooting flu-flus almost vertically at plastic bottles sitting on a beam that was suspended from a tree. The backwards running goat that was a bit confusing to aim at - I found myself subconciously leading the arrow out in front of the goats head, or having a well placed shot if only the goat's vitals were in its bum! :lol: We also shot a wand at the correct distance of 130m, the wand being a vertical stick of about 40mm in width. Needless to say we would have been there into next week waiting for somebody to hit it! Michelle and Mick both came within inches though. 8)
The tomahawk throwing was a lot of fun too, they were being thrown at a target up to about 7m away. I think if most of us ever tried to hunt with one, our game would probably end up very heavily concussed! :lol: Its very tempting to take one to the next 3d round... :lol:

So thanks again to Dunolly and to all my fellow archers who took the time to come, it was a pleasure to shoot and share this special weekend with you all :D Thanks for the wonderful photos too Mick, I got so absorbed in what I was doing I forgot to take any..

Matt

Mick Smith

#50 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:58 pm

Daryl

The field course at Dunolly is set up in some historical 1800's gold mining diggings. That's why there's so many small hills and gullies. The trees have had plenty of time to grow in the interviening years.

jfruitcake

You're definitely right about Andy's young bloke, Jack. I saw him shoot last year at the Ballarat shoot and he's a little pro. He shoots that longbow like as if it's an extension of his arm and the arrows go right to where they're meant to. I was watching him in the clout/wand event and his form was as good as anyone's. He would aim directly at the clout and then elevate to the same point and release. He went pretty close too. :D

Grahame

I spent a bit more time trying to get better photos this time. I tried to get a few shots of people at full draw from good angles. In the past I've just taken photos to record generally what it was like, this time I was more conscious of getting memorable shots. It's tough trying to shoot and take photos at the same time though.

You might notice that theres not many photos of the king's round, that's because Owen had an equipment malfunction and twisted the top limb of his recurve. It was caused by a dry fire when the arrow wasn't properly nocked. I was just able to straighten the limb with severe counter bending and holding before the shooting recommenced. I then checked it again in the next lull between rounds.

Some of the photos are a bit fuzzy though. I suppose the fact that some are crisp indicates the problem lays with me.

Abaci

I reckon there should be a whole lot more port drunk at the next shoot. The average scores the next day by the hungover competitors brought them all back, almost to my levels. 8)

Gav

I echo your overall views. Peter Coombes is probably the best field archer that I've ever witnessed. Truly inspirational shooting.

Matt

It was a fun weekend alright!! I enjoyed every minute of it. Take your camera next time and take heaps of photos. We would have been in trouble if mine packed up, which it looked like doing especially in the early morning due, I think, to the frosts. The batteries seemed flat, but then when it warmed up they were fine.

One of the things I really like about these events is checking out all the gear. I was very 'taken' with Jeff Blakey's osage orange self bow which he imported from the States in a semi tillered state. These bows look great as they have 'wriggley' limbs where the grain has been followed. They just need final tillering, the nocks cut, some sort of handle to cover the splices, sanding and finishing. Jeff's bow shot very hard for it's draw weight and it made almost no noise upon release. He said there wasn't much handshock either. No bad for about AU$250 (incl shipping) or so. :wink: He imported 3 bows initially and plans to bring in a few more in the near future. If anyone's interested let me know and I'll give you Jeff's telephone number.

Mick

Kieran

#51 Post by Kieran » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:32 pm

those photos are great, im glad iv moved into trad archery

im hoping to shoot at the September shoot at yarra bowmen :D

gtabow

#52 Post by gtabow » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:09 pm

Hi everyone
Just like to thank you all for coming to our shoot and your very inspiring comments, I'll pass them on. So glad you all seemed to have enjoyed it.
Mike said he'll make sure there is more port next year, gives the Dunolly group more of a chance when everyone else is hung over!
I might get a chance to shoot the next time as well
On second thought I think I'll be on holiday when we have the 2008 shoot!!I simply crashed when I got home Sunday afternoon!
Great photos Mick, thanks. Once again thanks for coming and to those who didn't you missed a great weekend. So please remember for next year, we'll give you plenty of notice. Take care all
Sharon.

Mick Smith

#53 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:43 pm

You did a great job Sharon. 8) I hope to see you and the Dunolly gang at one of the other shoots coming up in the near future, perhaps at Ballarat in late November.

I went through my photos and found a couple that I missed earlier. Here they are ...

Mick
Attachments
Dunolly   before king's round.JPG
Dunolly before king's round.JPG (79.29 KiB) Viewed 4609 times
Dunolly   distance shot.JPG
Dunolly distance shot.JPG (71.17 KiB) Viewed 4610 times

Mick Smith

#54 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:49 pm

One more ...
Attachments
Dunolly  first morning get together.JPG
Dunolly first morning get together.JPG (74.04 KiB) Viewed 4605 times