Dunolly 2 Day Traditional Shoot 2007

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Dunolly 2 Day Traditional Shoot 2007

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Wed May 30, 2007 2:10 pm

Fellow traditional tournament competitors,

I don't have anything officially to do with this shoot. I'll definitely be there though, as will many others. I don't think any of the organisers are members of this site, so I thought I would do them, and our members a favour by posting some details about it. I was handed a flyer at the recent Kryal Castle shoot.

The shoot is on the 18th and 19th of August 2007. I believe it's the first shoot to be put on the by the Golden Triangle Archers. Let all of us Victorian trad shooters give them our full support by attending. Dunolly isn't all that far away, it's just a bit north of Maryborough in Victoria, less than 2 hours drive from Melbourne.

I asked about the camping facilities at the shoot and I was advised that while there's no power, there are toilets and showers. The food sounds as though it will be excellent value. It's great to attend a shoot such as this, as there's no hassles with taking food and then having to cook it. No washing up either. All you need is your camping gear and archery equipment. 8)

I'm not too sure what the 'running goat' and 'popinjay' events are, but it looks like I'm about to find out. :D It will be fun to get involved in some knife and axe throwing, as I never tried that before.

Here's a copy of the agenda for the shoot -

AGENDA
Friday Night From 5pm. Free Sausage sizzle, set up camp.
Saturday
7 - 8am Breakfast & Practice
9 am Muster
3 arrow, 20 target field round
Lunch
Kings round
Open Shoots (Axe & knife throwing, running goat, popinjay)
6-30 pm Sit down 2 course Dinner in the club rooms.
Sunday
7- 8am Breakfast & practice
9 am. Muster.
9-30am 1 arrow 20 target, field round.
, D-Archery in teams
Clout & wand Shoots,
Presentations
3-4 pm Pack up, Shut up and go home!

MENU

Friday Sausage Sizzle Free!

Breakfast, both days Bacon & Egg Sandwiches, $2.50\ Pancakes $2.50
Tea, Coffee, Juice. Available

Lunch both days Soup, Pumpkin or Vegetable & Roll, $3.00
Hotdogs $2.50
selection of cakes $1.00
Saturday Dinner 2 course Roast Dinner $12.00

I have also scanned the flyer below for you.

I hope to see you there. :wink:

Mick
Attachments
Dunolly 2 Day Traditional Shoot 2007.jpg
Dunolly 2 Day Traditional Shoot 2007.jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 6767 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

White Hawk

Golden triangle trad shoot

#2 Post by White Hawk » Wed May 30, 2007 2:51 pm

Hey Mick,
good work! Looking at the agenda, the guys at Dunnolly are putting in a fantastic effort for their first shoot in the Vic trad calendar, and I know the Geelong Horde will be there to support them. So come along folks, get behind these events and we all will have more opportunities to shoot, laugh and have a chin wag with like minded people.

Might be a good idea to contact the Dunolly crew before hand to give them an idea of numbers especially since they are putting on catering.

what a great year it has been in Victoria for trad shooters!

looking forward to it

cheers

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Lochmoy

Dunolly shoot

#3 Post by Lochmoy » Wed May 30, 2007 5:28 pm

Here, here to that!

Good on you Mick for publicising the event.
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:05 pm

I wonder if any of those 'dandys' from Leongatha will turn up? :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Lochmoy

Dunolly shoot

#5 Post by Lochmoy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Probably none Mick,

It's a bit far for them to walk in their chain mail the poor nancy bowyers!

gtabow

#6 Post by gtabow » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:22 am

Hi Mick
This is Sharon from Golden Triangle Archers Dunolly,
Thanks for publicising our 2 day shoot looks like it's going to be a great weekend, Hope to see you all there!
If I can get an idea of numbers attending it would make my job a whole lot easier in terms of catering. As for the popinjay shoot you'll have to wait and see as I havn't a clue either but our archers tell me it's a lot of fun and our running goat is unique, he actually runs backwards!
Anyway thanks again.
Sharon

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:35 am

Good Morning Mick

You will love the "Popinjay". Just remember to stand under the cover for when the arrows are on the way down. :shock:
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:42 pm

Now I'm intrigued about the Popinjay, not to mention the goat. :)

Hi Sharon, no worries about posting details of the shoot. :wink: I'm sure there will be a good turnout of archers from the Geelong club. Almost everyone I've spoken to is coming. I'll do a 'head count' when I'm next at the club and let you know how many to expect from down this way. I'm really looking forward to it.

This event is going to be great. I love this sort of event, where all you have to do is show up with your archery gear, a bit of camping gear and a modest amount of money. 8)

Mick

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:45 pm

Sharon,

I did a head count at the Geelong Archers club on Saturday and there will be between 6 to 10 of us coming to the Dunolly event at this stage. :D

Mick

jfruitcake

questions

#10 Post by jfruitcake » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:46 am

Are juniors allowed to shoot if so what is the ages allowed.

Is there a family price we are 2 adults and 3 kids?

I have already booked a motel - Im not camping in August yes I am a wimp.

Michelle
Michelle, John & 3 three getting bloody big rugrats

hardgainer

#11 Post by hardgainer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:14 am

There are 6 longbow enthusiasts in our group from the Northeast I will go to work on them...I guess it go's unsaid wooden arrows only ?

Lochmoy

Dunolly shoot

#12 Post by Lochmoy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:25 pm

I am very excited about this shoot as it is geographically in a different place than recent Vic comps. and this will attract trad. archers that I have never met and that can only be a good thing.

The Dunolly crew look to have put a lot if thought and planning into this event so I hope and believe it will be very well attended.

This one will be different again. This have of the year it just so happens that 3 out of the 4 events have been very medieval in flavour. The next 4 are going to be quite different with many new events. 2 being put on by AV clubs. 1 by and independent club and one by a private archery business. A fifth late November will also be put on by an Aba club.

This is fantastic. Traditional archery fits in across the board.

In Victoria we have gone from 3 events in 2006 to 9 this year.

Lets keep supporting them and they will continue into 2008!

Jimmy Alexander

#13 Post by Jimmy Alexander » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:59 pm

Oh hell yeah. Im definately going :D
Twang

jfruitcake

#14 Post by jfruitcake » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:11 am

Are juniors allowed to shoot if so what is the ages allowed.

Is there a family price we are 2 adults and 3 kids?

Lochmoy

Dunolly shoot

#15 Post by Lochmoy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:15 pm

Best just to contact the organisers. See the flyer further back in this thread.

Mick Smith

#16 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:31 pm

I'm really looking forward to this one. My twelve year old son and I will be camping on site. We've already done our checklist of what to take with us, plenty of warm blankets mainly, plus the rest of the camping gear. I wish it was as easy to select which bow to take.

Mick

Lochmoy

Dunolly shoot

#17 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:11 pm

I'll be soon sending a reminder to everyone on my database. Looking forward to meeting them from up North.

jfruitcake

#18 Post by jfruitcake » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:06 pm

We have posted our entry fee and booked our motel for the whole mob. We are even considering joining a club to actually practice beforehand. Watch out I may even hit the target :-)

Michelle

woody

#19 Post by woody » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:29 pm

Regretfully I must miss this one, I have an air fare booked for hunt, but if I wasn't hunting I'd be there.

The guys at Dunnolly put on a good shoot. :D
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

Mick Smith

#20 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:42 pm

That's a pity Woody. I've never really seen you in action in a comp. You were too busy to shoot at the last Ballarat Trad Comp. I have seen you shoot though and I know you would be a tough competitor.

By the way, how's the Ballarat Trad Shoot coming on for this year? That's a great shoot too. 8)

Mick

woody

#21 Post by woody » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:56 pm

Mick,
The Ballarat Trad shoot will be on again in late November. I am not Ballarats publicity officer this year and this is Donoll'ys thread, so I will get our publicity officer to post the shoot flier in its own trad event thread.

But thanks for asking :D
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

White Hawk

Dunolly trad shoot - registration

#22 Post by White Hawk » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:42 am

Hi Folks,
just a quick reminder to please send your registration and money to the Dunolly club so they can cater for accurate number wishing to attend this event. Doubly important as they are putting on a good spread of food for the weekend and knowing accurate numbers will make this job much easier.
Going to be a great weekend, look forward to catching other ozbowers there. For details see the flyer posted further up this thread .

regards
Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Mick Smith

#23 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:01 am

Yes Gav, this event is only a month off now. If you're going, it would pay you to send off your registration fee in the near future. I was just re-reading the flyer and it states that a late fee (in addition to the $20 registration fee) applies to contestants who pay later than August 10th. This is only fair enough as the organisers will need to know how many contestants they will be catering for. So rather than leave it to the last minute, why not send if off now?

I'm 'hanging out' for this event, as it's been a while since our last big trad shoot in Victoria, and this one has all the hallmarks of being one that will be long remembered. 8)

I hope to see many Ozbowers there!!! :wink:

Mick

matt_d

#24 Post by matt_d » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:34 am

G'day everyone,
Could anybody who has the mailing address for us to send our registration in please post it in this thread? I've emailed but no response yet. Will they accept cheque, money order etc rather than cash in the mail? I'm sure it would make it easier for anyone else wishing to register as the info is not on the flyer.
Look forward to it!
Cheers :D
Matt

Jimmy Alexander

#25 Post by Jimmy Alexander » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Ive rang and rang and rang, but no love as yet :(
Twang

jfruitcake

#26 Post by jfruitcake » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:25 pm

Here is where we were told to send our cheque :-)

If you would like to pay for the weekend now. the address is Dunolly & District Neighbourhood Centre Archery Group, PO Box 77 Dunolly

----- Original Message -----
To: dunnhc@hotkey.net.au
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 12:46 PM
Subject: Golden Triangle Archery Event August

Mick Smith

#27 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:52 pm

There's going to be a good turnout of Geelong Archers at the Dunolly shoot. We've already sent off our registration fees and we're now sitting back anxiously waiting for the next 2 weeks to pass.

Now all we want is a weekend of relatively good weather and everything else will look after it self. It promises to be a fun weekend indeed. 8)

Just 15 sleeps to go. :D

Mick

Mick Smith

#28 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:17 pm

All being well, this time next week I'll have my camp set up and I'll be sitting back with an ale in front of the fire. 8)

Less than one week to go. :D

Mick

Trad

Travel North!

#29 Post by Trad » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:20 am

Hi Mick,

I hope you are well. The TAA gang from NSW are heading to Vic. again! in November for a shoot.

When are you guys coming up North to shoot with us!

The Barebow Challenge is on 1st and 2nd September. How about getting a mob of Vics together and coming up. Lots of free camping available.

There is also the perpetual club trophy to be won. The top scoring club wins. How would you guys feel taking home a trophy from NSW. I might add that I made it with much love and care. Hunter Valley Trad Archers won it last year.

Regards,

Uncle Les (Trad)

Mick Smith

#30 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:22 am

G'day Les, how are you going? :D

It has been one of my long time ambitions, to make it to one of the big northern trad shoots one of these days. 8)

I'll talk it over with some of the local boys to see if we can field some sort of a team to make the big trip north. :wink:

It will be great to see you again, come November. :wink:

Mick