An afternoon of archery

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Jimmy Alexander

An afternoon of archery

#1 Post by Jimmy Alexander » Sat May 26, 2007 3:00 pm

Ok, this one im really going to. Its Sunday so ive got the day right and its the 17th so ive got the date right :lol:
Anyway who here is going, are you as excited as me, are you going in costume?
Im not wearing any tunic or hose so i hope im allowed to compete.....not that ill win anything :lol: But i cant wait :D

Jimmy
Twang

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 27, 2007 9:29 am

Jimmy

I hope to be going. I think there will be a few competitors heading to this event from the Geelong club.

I believe the flyer states that some attempt is required to appear in medieval clothing on the day. I hope to have some basic clothing items before then, such as a hood and tunic.

It should be fun. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Jimmy Alexander

#3 Post by Jimmy Alexander » Sun May 27, 2007 6:47 pm

Hey Mick,
Hope to see you there mate and meet a few new people :D
Yeah the flyer wants everyone to make an attempt..... but i might have to get some ideas first :wink:
Im a bit self conscious really :lol:

So who else is going, lots of veiws 1 reply :(

Cheers Jimmy :D
Twang

Len

#4 Post by Len » Mon May 28, 2007 6:47 am

Hi Jim, LMS will have some members there , though not as many as at Kryal (13 ) as some of our guys are away that weekend but it should be a great shoot . Don't get too fussed about medieval clothes as you can make a hide all tunic out of heavy cotton that will make you look the part.Just make a sort of cross shape with a hole for your head to go through in the centre of the cross and then fold it over and sew up the seams. For pants just make some tight fitting trackie dacks and with the six foot rule you will look fine :lol:
Hmmmmmmm.............

matt_d

#5 Post by matt_d » Mon May 28, 2007 5:44 pm

G'day Jimmy,

I will most definitely be there!
Now that I have my Grozer I'll have an excuse to don the traditional Mongolian deel I bought for myself whilst on holiday.
Unfortunately I was way too disorganised to play dress-ups when I shot at Kryal but this should be a fun day even for the archers who aren't regularly involved in re-enactment.

Matt

the irish one

#6 Post by the irish one » Mon May 28, 2007 5:59 pm

hopefully we'll be at this shoot,maybe the weather will be kinder than kryal :lol: if not there will be long johns under chainmaille :lol:

Jimmy Alexander

#7 Post by Jimmy Alexander » Mon May 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Great to hear some more replys, im gearing up in authentic............. jeans, t-shirt and if its a little chilly, a jumper :lol: Its going to be great to see all the medi garb and ill probably feel more self concious in normal gear, but im yet to find anything suitable for me.
So the chainmail will have to be well oiled after Kryall and the long johns wrung out, lets hope the weather holds.
Thanks for the replys, getting more and more excited.

Look for the bloke with the messy hair and jeans and come say hi :D

Jimmy :D
Twang

Lochmoy

Afternoon of Archery

#8 Post by Lochmoy » Tue May 29, 2007 10:55 pm

Looking forward to seeing all you chappies there. Going to try some new novelty events. Should be top fun.
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

Martology

#9 Post by Martology » Wed May 30, 2007 8:15 am

I will be there with some other members from LMS, looking forward to it, it should be a great day!
Anthony
Leongatha Medieval Society

forest_spirit

Re: An afternoon of archery

#10 Post by forest_spirit » Thu May 31, 2007 4:50 pm

Jimmy Alexander wrote:Ok, this one im really going to. Its Sunday so ive got the day right and its the 17th so ive got the date right :lol:

Jimmy
Ummm, which event is this? What have I missed? Is this 17th June or July, and where....? Whoever is running this one, can you re-post the flyer to the site? Ta heaps, heidi

Jimmy Alexander

#11 Post by Jimmy Alexander » Thu May 31, 2007 9:20 pm

Ok i hope this works...just need a bit of leverage.

The SCA in Victoria has a great history of Archery.
To add to that the SCA Stormhold invites one & all to:
An Afternoon of Archery
Sunday, 17 June 2007
Traditional Archery for all with a medieval feel
Setup & registration from 12noon - 1st tournament to commence 1pm
Lower oval, John Gardiner Reserve, Auburn Road, Hawthorn, Victoria
(Melways Map 59 F-3)
The afternoon will include;
- The day will commence with a King Rounds – scores from this will form part of the Wildwood archery multi-event competition. For those that have not competed in such this will take the form of 6 ends (various ranges) – including 2 speed rounds,
- a animal target shoot (roving with 5 targets, 2 rounds),
- Several novelty shoots (wand, flu flu or clout) – flu flu arrows will be provided if needed – as time permits,
- The SCA will provide a demonstration of the combat archery.
Merchants & Traders welcome to attend with Medieval stalls – please liaise with the Steward
Prices listed are SCA Member / SCA Non-Member (all children under 12 are free)
Prices until Participants Spectators
End of April 2007: $7 / $10 $3 / $5
End of May 2007: $10 / $15 $3 / $5
June 2007 & on the day: $15 / $20 $3 / $5
* Participating children aged 12 to 15 half price – Competition is restricted to 12 years & over *
* All entrants will need to supply their own arrows – at least 8 – recommend 10 in case of breakage *
* The SCA requests that all those attending make an attempt at Medieval costume *
* Bookings (with payments to “SCA STORMHOLD”) can be posted to 5 Dobell Ave, Sunbury Vic 3429 *
Steward: Hanbal Reis al Barbary (Simon Hoad) – Email: hanbal_reis@yahoo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SCA Stormhold will also be hosting their Winter Feast (a Venetian style Masked Ball theme) the night before – see SCA Stormhold website for further information
http://www.sca.org.au/stormhold/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brought to you by the crew of the Flying Ypotryll, SCA Stormhold & Wildwood Archery

You beauty.

Hope this is understandable
Jimmy
Twang

matt_d

#12 Post by matt_d » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:36 pm

I just realized that this is the same weekend as the state clout!

Oh well... any shoot with novelty events and friendly people has to take priority in my book! :D

Lochmoy

Clout

#13 Post by Lochmoy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:27 pm

Never fear the clout comp has been moved to the following Saturday 23rd of June
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:18 am

This event is just one week away people. :shock:

It sounds as though there will be quite a few traditional archers turning up to this event. I know there will be at least one car load from Geelong and a fair few of the Leongatha boys and girls are going, plus the others who have made posts on this thread. Of course, there will be the regular SCA members there as well.

My authentic looking (hopefully) attire is currently all laid out in my wife's sewing room, just waiting to be stitched together.

It should be fun. Now, what bow will I take? .....

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Jimmy Alexander

#15 Post by Jimmy Alexander » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:15 pm

Im gunna be spraying arrows everywhere, going to a wedding Sat :lol:
Twang

bleeroyb

#16 Post by bleeroyb » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:45 pm

Looks like fun...I've now got to decide whether to go racing at broadford on Sunday or come along to this event...my god its a hard decision, I'd love to fling some arrows around and meet fellow archers but the motorbike beckons...I was never too decisive but this makes it really hard!

Cheers,

Leeroy
Days, when the ball of our vision
Had eagles that flew unabashed to the sun;
When the grasp on the bow was decision,
And arrow and hand and eye were one.

-George Meredith (excerpt of 'Ode to youth in memory')

morgan

#17 Post by morgan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:47 am

Time to dust the o'l ELB off, I haven't loosed an arrow since Kryal!

I've only just found out that I can make it so add one more to LMS' ranks. Should be fun :D
"What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived".

Jimmy Alexander

#18 Post by Jimmy Alexander » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:19 pm

4 more sleeps :D
Well 3 for me :lol:
Twang

White Hawk

afternoon of archery

#19 Post by White Hawk » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:50 pm

OK you Leongatha lads, after all these tournaments I am still to actually have a shoot with you blokes, so makes some room on your target tomorrow for a curvy bow ring in.

Looking forward to a great day a usual fellas!

see you tomorrow!

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Len

#20 Post by Len » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:08 pm

Gav you and your curvy bow are most welcome to shoot with us, maybe some of your skill will rub off on me ! :lol:
Hmmmmmmm.............

morgan

#21 Post by morgan » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:22 am

Sorry guys, not well so won't be able to make it today. Good shooting, see you at the next 1 !
"What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived".

Mick Smith

#22 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:00 pm

Well it's all over and what a fun day it was. 8) The weather was kind to us. It threatened rain most of the afternoon, but it pretty well held off right up until the event was finished.

It was a first for me, the first time I've gotten all dressed up in my medieval "bog man" peasant's outfit. In a funny way, I've come to realize why this sort of clothing was so popular for so long, it's just so practical and warm in weather reminiscent of English weather.

The day started off with a standard 'king's round' event. I think most of us are familiar with this 66 arrow event, shot at ranges from 50 metres to 20 metres. Len, our fellow Ozbow member and Leongatha Medieval Society member deservedly won this event with his trusty ELB selfbow. The first series of photos accompanying this post were taken during the 20 metre 'speed' round of the King's round. The 'bog man' peasant nearest the camera is your's truly.

The SCA boys put on a display of medieval sword fighting, or more to the point, stick fighting.

This was followed by a flu-flu bird shoot in which only one person actually managed to make contact with a target.

Then we had a 'wand' shoot, followed by a mini clout event with flu-flu arrows at about 60 metres.

All in all, a very enjoyable day. Thanks to the never tiring Lochmoy and White Hawk and to the Hawthorn SCA people. :wink:

Mick
Attachments
Afternoon of archery 6.JPG
Afternoon of archery 6.JPG (25.11 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
Afternoon of archery 4.JPG
Afternoon of archery 4.JPG (37.93 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
Afternoon of archery 3.JPG
Afternoon of archery 3.JPG (37.8 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
Afternoon of archery 2.JPG
Afternoon of archery 2.JPG (37.11 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
Afternoon of archery 1.JPG
Afternoon of archery 1.JPG (35.91 KiB) Viewed 7246 times

Len

#23 Post by Len » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:40 am

Well what a fun afternoon of archery. Well done to Lochmoy & white hawk and the SCA guys for putting this event on. For me personaly it was great to be shooting between Mick Smith and White Hawk and picking up some tips from these experinced archers, as someone who's still learnig it was a valuable experince, thanks guys . Mick looked great in his new tunic and hood. It was a pity that on this day most of the LMS archers couldn't make it but there's always next time and a huzzah to White Hawk for his exemplary display of archery and sportmanship.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Abaci

good fun

#24 Post by Abaci » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:13 am

Hey All,
Well the mongols returned home after a fun day out yesterday. I have to admit though, I think my pigeon shot was a bit of a fluke, beginners luck I guess, it was my first time out with my new Martin Savannah longbow... (will post photo's of my new pride and joy soon I hope).

Thanks to Leigh and the Wildwood crew along with the Hawthorn SCA group putting on an interesting day to remember.

See you all at Dunolly...

Abaci
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

Mick Smith

#25 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:33 pm

Abaci

Now I know who you are. :idea: One of the first things I noticed was your pretty Martin Savannah L/B. The are a beautiful bow and a good shooting bow too, as testified by your excellent results on the day.

I'll see you at Dunolly. 8)

Mick

matt_d

#26 Post by matt_d » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:55 pm

Congratulations go to Len for some great shooting on the day, not to mention also being the only bloke there who wasn't beaten by one of the girls :lol:

The pigeon shoot was also a lot of fun and it would be nice to see more of these type of events at our shoots as its geared more towards the instinctive archers.

All in all a very enjoyable day, was also nice to put some more names to faces, and hope to see some of you at the Dunolly shoot :D

Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#27 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:08 pm

PLEASE NOTE!!!

I have deleted a photo and numerous comments in this thread in relation to the shooting of arrows at people. Please don't post these types of photos or comments as I don't wish for Ozbow to be seen as promoting such activities.

Jeff

hardgainer

#28 Post by hardgainer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:11 pm

Now thats a darn fine looking garb Mick...someone in your household is a dab hand with needle and thread. You certainly captured the look. Great to see a day of Archery enjoyed in traditional style enjoyed by all.
Interesting to read lately a few new reports on Iceman Oetzi and what they continue to think/ guess/debate may have been his last moments.

matt_d

#29 Post by matt_d » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:46 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:PLEASE NOTE!!!

I have deleted a photo and numerous comments in this thread in relation to the shooting of arrows at people. Please don't post these types of photos or comments as I don't wish for Ozbow to be seen as promoting such activities.

Jeff
I just want to add that before this event took place all equipment and armour was thoroughly inspected for safety according to SCA regulations, and the activity was insured and run under strict supervision.

Although a little uncommon, it is still just another branch of traditional archery, and as this is a TRADITIONAL ARCHERY FORUM it is a bloody shame that we can't post information relating to these type of events without it being censored in such a farcical way.

Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#30 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:10 pm

Matt,

You are entitled to your opinions. I have no intention of rehashing this issue as there was a lengthy thread discussing it not so long ago. However, I will say that I will NEVER support the shooting of arrows at another person, period!

Jeff