Geelong Archers Long bow challenge Mar. 24

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

#31 Post by GrahameA » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Dear Mick

Yesterday I shot longbows in the afternoon. Today I have shot longbows all day - and it has been somewhat warm and my back feels different. I think I am 'archeried' out for at least the next 12 hours. :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Lochmoy

Long bow

#32 Post by Lochmoy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:25 pm

Yes Mick it is a little confusing.

To clarify, deflex reflex long bows will be okay. Just no recurves like target or hunting recurves.

Flat bows just mean laminated flat pieces of wood. Both flat and "D" section long bows are fine.
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

jape

#33 Post by jape » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:30 am

Its a few years since I went to Geelong, I think I can find my way to Waurn Ponds road even though I will be coming in across country via Daylesford and Anakie. Famous last words. Must remember to pack the Melways ... Is the meet at the Deakin campus on the right as you go out of town?
I won't be shooting as I am out of arrows and dangerous to bystanders anyway, do I still have to register for insurance and so on and can I be an hour or so late, like 10.30 to 11.00 and still get in?
jape

Mick Smith

#34 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:34 pm

Jape

Yes mate, it's on the Princes Hwy just on the outskirts of Waurn Ponds. The only trouble is, if you want to access the oval straight off the Princes Hwy, you will have to leave your car on the roadside reserve, as there's no vehicle access to the oval and sporting grounds via the highway. There's pedestrian access only. The best way to get there is to turn off the highway about one kilometre earlier.

For anyone coming from any direction other than along the Princes highway from Colac, you will have to travel through greater Geelong to get there. You keep the the main thoroughfare through town, go over the Barwon River and continue on until you reach the suburb of Waurn Ponds. You will know when you're there as things start to look a bit countryish again, with a few open paddocks and fields here and there. Keep an eye out for the big Bunnings Warehouse on the left hand side of the highway, this is where you must turn right into Pigdons Rd. There's a set of traffic lights on this intersection. Go up Pigdons Rd for about 500 metres or so and you will see the main entrance to Deakin University on the left.

Once you're inside the university grounds, just remember to keep turning left. Keep to the left the whole time. About half way along the long straight section of the sealed university road, there's another turn off, to the left again. This turn off is perhaps a bit over half a kilometre inside the grounds and it will take you over the crest of the ridge upon which you were driving and down a steep incline to the venue grounds. This road is also sealed, even though it's quite a bit narrower than the other road in. There's a sign at the gate at the top of the hill, mentioning all the various clubs that use the grounds, the Geelong Archers is also listed. When you get to the bottom of the hill, you're there. 8)

If you're not going to be shooting, you won't need to do anything other than just turn up. If you decide you would like to shoot, you must register, pay the entry fee and pay a small insurance fee if you're not already a member of an affiliate club.

The way everythings set up you wouldn't be able to injure bystanders with even the worst of shots, so don't worry about that aspect of things. If you want to shoot, go for it. I'm sure you won't be the worst shot there.

I dare say, you could still shoot if you arrive late, you would just miss out on the scores of any events that have already started in your absence.

I hope to see you there. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

jape

#35 Post by jape » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:58 pm

Good directions, thanks Mick.
I am not going to head out the HWY way because of the Air Show and the half million plus lemmings going there and also because you mentioned Bunnings which has a fatal attraction to me and my wallet, so as I am in the country I shall try and remember the route across through the sticks. Because of my back I can't drive for long at a time so will have to make a couple of stops. Hence my going to be late and partly why I won't be shooting.
But I want to meet some fellow shooters and I like what I see of you lot on the forum. Anyway, I want to see Len and his mates in skirts with their Turbows if they still are coming, and to drool over Lochmoy's Bickerstaffe bows. I am saving up for one or the other, and some arrows. Probably next Xmas, sigh.
I shall sacrifice a virgin or something on my altar :wink: to ensure a safe journey in my old banger, it is as bad as me when it comes to travelling up hill and down dale and will get a big shock going anywhere more than to the shops!
Looking forward to it.
jape

Len

#36 Post by Len » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi Jape, sorry to say we prob won't be in the medieval gear for this event but will still be wearing green so you will be able to work out who we are so make sure you come and say g'day and you can check out our Turbows and Lloyds yew bow. Looking forward to catching up with everyone else as well and Jape I've told you before they're not skirts they're tunics and surcotes ! :lol:
Hmmmmmmm.............

jape

#37 Post by jape » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:44 pm

Looking forward to it, Len et al.
Note to self:
"remember not to pull the leg of blokes in surcotes with longbows"

morgan

#38 Post by morgan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:16 am

The bow string is waxed and arrows checked. Prepare yourself 'Horde', (and stay down wind :D ) the men of Cheshire are on the march!!!

Looking forward to seeing you all on the morrow
"What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived".

Llwyd The Gray

#39 Post by Llwyd The Gray » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:52 am

Huzzah!!!
I'm so excited I had to put into words my feelings!!

To him be the glory who tug's the flax cord.
Who lets loose fletched battles toward Frances accord.
and stands braced for ambush mongst sharpened end pike.
Shoulder to shoulder "For God and my Right"
If death stands before him, he shakes not his soul
but fights more with fury, till France pays its toll.
Home he comes richer not from just Wars spoils
just safe in his company on Englands rich soils.

Men Of Cheshire, Do me proud!!

Llwyd the Gray :lol:
"pluck ye cords of war, thence purvey thy enemy as he trembles in the shafted shadows of death!" - Llwyd the Gray (Crecy 1346)

White Hawk

Geelong Longbow comp....

#40 Post by White Hawk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:30 pm

oh boy! are you lads gonna LOVE 'Battle Clout'.....

.... you'll just have to wait and see.... we have taken the clout event, up'ed the stakes, and taken it back 800 years.... oh yeah!

see you all there!

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

maskn

#41 Post by maskn » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm

We have sausages! 200 delivered today. So if your hungry boys bring some $ and help support us at Geelong Archers!

:D :D

Len

#42 Post by Len » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:07 pm

Lloyd you have done us proud as usuall , what more can I add other then-"nock, draw, loose!"
Hmmmmmmm.............

Mick Smith

#43 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:58 pm

I spent all this afternoon setting up the "Battle Clout". There's just a few finishing touches to be done in the morning and it will be all done. I don't think my back will ever be the same again. :? :)

That was a delightful and articulate poem Llwyd. 8) I hope your shooting will be as good. :wink: I'm looking forward to seeing your pretty yew bow in action again.

I'll be shooting my little nifty little bamboo laminated spotted gum longbow that Greybeard made for me. It's very pretty too. 8)

It's going to be a windy day (south westerly) with some clearing showers. The wind should make the clout event interesting.

Come on tomorrow!

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

GrahameA

#44 Post by GrahameA » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi Gavin

Photos - remember lots of photos.

And Mick that goes for you as well. :D :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mick Smith

#45 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:14 pm

Grahame

I didn't take many photos at all. My battery ran out after just 5 shots. The 5 shots were all pretty much the same. They were of my son, Owen, shooting in the clout event.

There were a lot of photos taken during the day. Hopefully someone will post a few for us.

I picked my best photo out of the 5. It's Owen shooting his new Cartel 45# longbow. He's about to release an arrow into the hordes of the red army. He did manage to wound one of their number in our "battle clout" event.

It was a great day of archery. Mostly sunny, but with the odd shower. There were 32 archers in attendance, which was a good turnout considering the hassles getting there, what with the Burnley tunnel being closed, major roadworks on the Geelong freeway and the Avalon Airshow also on the Geelong freeway. We even had one competitor who came all the way from Bega NSW.

Mick
Attachments
Longbow challenge.jpg
Longbow challenge.jpg (42.95 KiB) Viewed 5843 times

jape

#46 Post by jape » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:48 pm

I drove down for an hour or so to say g'day. My first trad. meet!
They have a great spot there to shoot over, well worth a look. The lunch time sausage sandwiches were good too! I can't shoot at the moment but I met a few characters from this forum and spent my pocket money on some fluorescent yellow fletches, shafts and the like from the Wildwood boys. Fair prices.
Thanks to Mick Smith especially for taking time to make me feel welcome and Len from Leongatha for stopping for a chat, also Mike-DY.
I had a feel of the famous yew bow, I think it was Ron's? Sorry if I got your name wrong. Now I am very envious! The Bickerstaffe that Gavin showed me is a good substitute, I also liked the Turbow ... all I need now is a Tatts win and I will get all three and save having to choose!
When is the next one folks?
jape

Mick Smith

#47 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:04 pm

Hi Jape

It was a pleasure to meet you. 8) You should be all geared up for the next Victorian trad shoot which I believe will be at Ballarat on May 19.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to send Lochmoy (Leigh) a PM, with you're email address. He would then add you to his data base, you will then be forwarded all the updates of what's happening in the Victorian trad comp scene.

I hope to see you at the Ballarat shoot. :wink:

Mick

Lochmoy

Long bow challenge

#48 Post by Lochmoy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:05 pm

Geez Mick and Jape you have jumped onto the forum quickly.

My daughter is getting an eye for good archery pics and has taken some sensational shots. They will be posted soon but be patient as I have to reduce the pixels to get them up. I'll give it a go.

Great to meet you jape. Don't be afraid to bite the bullet and get a bow! It seems like agony for you trying to decide. Just get something cheap to get yourself started and change it over later on. You can pick up some very reasonable bows on this forum. Come to Kryal castle and shoot with us there. I know you live relatively near.

I want to particularly thank Mick for his efforts and creativity with the battle clout. A very enjoyable event and I know you worked very hard to get it ready in time. A great effort.

What a great day. To get that number of long bows their for a one day event was awesome. More good things to come with Kryal Castle on the 19th of May. Final details will be ready hopefully in 2 to 3 weeks.

ole_silver

#49 Post by ole_silver » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:10 am

HEY mICK...

Great shot of Owen loosening the shaft..

sounds like another great day.........

cant wait for the Lochmoy pics..

good on ya all n very best wishes..

Len... how did u guys fair against the Horde......

HAZAR......................
ole_silver1..................

"have a go now, 'fore ya can't have a go at all"

Len

#50 Post by Len » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:17 am

Well, what a fantastic day. The geelong guys put on a great comp and all the archers there were so easy to get on with and a really friendly, decent bunch. Jape youre more then welcome to chat bows and stuff any time, and yes ole silver LMS held their own against the Horde and my 'model T Ford' managed to knock off Mick's 'Ferrarri' in the 3d animal shoot and the Kings round :lol:
Well done to all the winners and place getters and thanks again to 'The Southern Horde' for a great day.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Mick Smith

#51 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:51 am

Hey Len, I haven't bought my "Ferrari" yet, but just wait until I do. :wink:

I was using a 40# spotted gum bow with bamboo back and belly, not my idea of a Ferrari, but still a very handy little bow. :D You must have done pretty well in the 3D animal event, because I was reasonably happy with my shooting in this event, apart from a short string of misses. I don't even want to think about the King's Round. :)

I don't think many people will be in danger of defeat even when I get my "Ferrari". :(

I'm waiting for the day when we have a special "klutz" division in the competitions. I might win a prize or two then. :D

It was a great day though, with heaps of laughs. There was even a few Hazzah's here and there. It was great to see the big turnout of the green and whites, although it was a pity you guys got defeated in the battle clout. :)

It was a pity the battle clout event couldn't have gone a couple more rounds, I was just starting to get me eye in, but we simply ran out of time. I think we spent about a third of the allocated time just explaining the rules.

Did you blokes take any photos? I'd like to see some if possible please.

Steve

Yes mate, it was a great day, but then again, aren't all trad comps? :D

Yesterday was my boy's first competition. He had a ball. I'm sure it won't be his last.

Right at the start of the competition, we were shooting the 3D animals and he was beating his dad up until the 5th target or so. I told him he'd be walking home if that continued. He also particularly liked the battle clout event.

He's a chip of the old block in many ways. He shoots like a house on fire for a while and then shoots haphazardly for a while. Fortunately, he has a whole lifetime to improve his shooting. :wink:

I'm looking forward to seeing Lochmoy's photos too.

Mick

MaylandL

#52 Post by MaylandL » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:19 am

Looking forward to more pics
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Lochmoy

Long bow challenge

#53 Post by Lochmoy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:29 pm

Okay you photophiles, I think I have worked our how to attach photos courtesy of Graeme and incidently I'd like one of the better ones posted on the front page for a while if that's possible.

Here goes.

PS Yes I wished the battle clout could have gone longer. Next time we'll allocate more time. It was a real winner. East v's West Victoria.
Attachments
Could I get this one on the front page Graeme?
Could I get this one on the front page Graeme?
bows bows bows.JPG (72.1 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
Sven the reenactor in clourful garb
Sven the reenactor in clourful garb
close up.JPG (109.98 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
Yours truly looking cool from this angle
Yours truly looking cool from this angle
close up leigh.JPG (74.28 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
manyarchers.JPG
manyarchers.JPG (73.98 KiB) Viewed 5774 times

Mick Smith

#54 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:59 pm

I like the photos Leigh. :wink: I particularly like the last one, it almost looks like a forest of bows. They have a busy and crowded look about them. Your daughter definately has a talent with photography. I know there's plenty more photos out there though. Do we have any of the other events, please?

Mick

Lochmoy

Photos

#55 Post by Lochmoy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:19 pm

More to come when I get over my destressing headache.

hardgainer

#56 Post by hardgainer » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:10 pm

Great outing Geelong Archers and Leigh and assoc' I enjoyed every lousy shot I made and mean really enjoyed.
A credit to you in getting so many real Bows together.
Have you ever seen a shot of such a gaggle of Long bows. What a great Pic'. Award Winner.
Mick.. its got to be a Tomahawk you will not regret the move it would be great to have a Tomahawk Bow brother in Arms.
Thanks Tim for a good Battle in the HUNT homemade vs commercial (you cant beat it)
Thanks to the craftsman from Horsham thats a great little Warhawk.
Will try to post sme pics.
Tomahawk Tony

ole_silver

#57 Post by ole_silver » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:51 pm

hello Tomahawk Tony......

i caught a glimps of you in the firing line pics.....

glad u had a great day, they sure are all a great bunch of people to spend time with......... sorry i had to miss out...

i have another prospective franchisee looking into Vic so it may not be all that long before i get back .. hope i can make it for the Great Southern in Geelong when the WA Horde can make it as well..

keep the pics coming ...
that Tomahawk sure is a nice bow..

regards to all
Steve..
ole_silver1..................

"have a go now, 'fore ya can't have a go at all"

hardgainer

#58 Post by hardgainer » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:19 pm

Hi Steve... Close that deal and get your Ar@#e down here for the Ballarat meet. Hows the Horse Bow shooting you sure seemed to lock on to the required technique at Leongatha real quick. Geelong stood me in good stead (had a good heaveho' with Tim) for a real tricky 3DAAA today at Diamond Valley . Got over a few Compound mates. Great to see the Cowboys knock off the Chooks.
Ahhhhhhhh does it get any better.
Travel Safe
Tony S.

White Hawk

Geelong Longbow comp

#59 Post by White Hawk » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:41 pm

Thanks for the kind words folks. As anyone who has put on a tournament knows, it takes a lot of hard work to put these together but when we get such a great response in numbers and feedback it makes it all worthwhile. Whilst on that these things don't happen on their own and I would like to thanks all the Geelong Members who contributed time and effort in running the day. To David P and David H for helping me set and pack up the 3d course, to the Vales for looking after the food and registration, to Jarrod and Troy for the huge effort in collating our scores, Jason for helping with the DOS duties and packing up, and especially to Mick Smith for the time and effort he put into both the ideas and setting up of 'battle clout' which thanks to his big effort I'm sure people will agree was the premier event of the day! And of course to my partner in crime Leigh for his boundless enthusiasm, organisational skills and commitment to making days such as this an outstanding success.
And lastly to all the people who took the time to come down and support us despite traffic problems, bad weather and for some, a very long drive!

It does my heart good to see so many like minded folks supporting each other and creating something memorable. Indeed trad archers are a special bunch, and I for one count myself the richer for being part of it.

see ya at the Castle!

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Llwyd The Gray

#60 Post by Llwyd The Gray » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:22 am

Fom East & from West, assembled the best of Archer & Bowman alike.
Whence down in Geelong the stik shooter's throng, disturbing a circling Kite.
Shooting the mark around the fine park, took toll on each tally and pride.
Along in a line t'was Battle Clout time, Red vs Blue side by side.
Sometimes it is found when in a King's Round, that speed is not taken as fancy.
Gusts ore the field had some poor souls yield, with arrows like dervishes dancing.
What more can be said, than the lady's fair head that took Iron Archer & Glory.
For me and my Yew, shaft's broken, a few!. A great day for all, ends the story.

Thanks Geelong, Leigh & Gav. Looking forward to great things this year as we grow the movement, and the love of bent stik shooting.
Lloyd. :D
"pluck ye cords of war, thence purvey thy enemy as he trembles in the shafted shadows of death!" - Llwyd the Gray (Crecy 1346)