Leongatha, Vic. First Trad Comp of 2007

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

#31 Post by morgan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:28 pm

The day draws nearer... The drums of war beat in the distance... Wax your bow strings! Gather your arrows! The archers are on the march!!

Who else answers the call to arms? ( Or at least a wants a fun day out :D )
"What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived".

Lochmoy

Southern Horde

#32 Post by Lochmoy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:29 pm

Look out you nancy boys/girls. (how can you tell?) The Southern Horde is confirmed at 8 coming so far and all fine archers (except for Gavin but we make exceptions). AND THERE WILL BE MORE!

As we range from the Great Southern plains the Horde will be picking up allies from other tribes such as Corio and AIM archers. I hear there are 2 confirmed and maybe more from North beyond our borders (Canberra/Bega).

Oh and the Bickerstaffe bows arrived today. I nearly wept as they are so superb that I don't want to sell them because noone but I could look after them as they should be. But if you really want one I'll order it in. AND YOU ALL WILL!
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

Llwyd The Gray

#33 Post by Llwyd The Gray » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:08 pm

huh hey!

Ive the only Yew bow in the village! Hi Mate, Can't wait to have a gander at the Bickerstaff's. I'm getting pretty pumped about the shoot coming up. Normally we wouldn't wear our trad kit, but for this first timer I gonna go hey nonny ho!! bring on the GSH (great southern horde) :D

Lloyd
"pluck ye cords of war, thence purvey thy enemy as he trembles in the shafted shadows of death!" - Llwyd the Gray (Crecy 1346)

Lochmoy

Photos

#34 Post by Lochmoy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:13 pm

I was just thinking that it is important to take as many good photo's that you can of the event. Lot's of group and individual shots of people gear events etc. There ain't nutin like well taken shots by someone who hopefully knows what they are doing.

If we want these events to be yearly things (as we do) we need to show them at their best.

Get as many cameras involved with people who aren't shooting cause you can't do both.

We have used to great effect great shots from a variety of people to promote up coming events.

But choose wisely as a really lame photo can be a draw back.

I have watched people see a well composed photo and see that they want some o dat!

Oh your not the only yew in the village. I think the whole footy team has had a bit of yew at times!

ole_silver

#35 Post by ole_silver » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:54 pm

Lockmoy....................

if i turn up down there i will not need to a bring bow with me...

i can stand out as the NQ Horde of One with the "Black Beauty"..

regards
Steve..
ole_silver1..................

"have a go now, 'fore ya can't have a go at all"

GrahameA

#36 Post by GrahameA » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:30 am

Lochmoy
Get as many cameras involved with people who aren't shooting cause you can't do both.
That can't be true I regularly do both and have the scores to prove it. :roll:

But seriously I agree with everything you say. Lots of photos go down well and it is by such "advertising" that we will promote the sport.

Equally this statement is also very true:
But choose wisely as a really lame photo can be a draw back.
This is a very public forum and IMHO I think it is important that we show things in a very positive way.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

ole_silver

#37 Post by ole_silver » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:42 pm

Hi All..

flights changed, i will be in from Townsville on Saturday..

just trying to settle accomm at "Leongatha Motel"..

regards..

THE NQ HORDE OF ONE...

Steve..

Len

#38 Post by Len » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:23 am

Thats fantastic news, look forward to meeting you at the shoot.
Hmmmmmmm.............

ole_silver

#39 Post by ole_silver » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:39 pm

thanks Len...

accomm is set, will be great to catch up with all the like wise twisted people i have met on my Victorian travels to date...

lov em all..........

cheers
Steve..

Mick Smith

#40 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:25 pm

It will be great to catch up with you again Steve. :wink: I'm glad you can make it. :D Not long to go now mate. :shock: I'd better get busy and finish those new arras.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Llwyd The Gray

#41 Post by Llwyd The Gray » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:37 pm

Huh Hey!!

Upon our sheilds of war we beat! Blood split we fight anew!

(The Lion & The Cross) LMS website, to toot my trumpet!!
:lol:

Llwyd The Gray
"pluck ye cords of war, thence purvey thy enemy as he trembles in the shafted shadows of death!" - Llwyd the Gray (Crecy 1346)

Lochmoy

Leongatha, Vic. First Trad Comp of 2007

#42 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:06 pm

Oooo the guy that talks funny is on this thread as well. Well we shall see if he shooteth as pretty as he speaketh!

Llwyd The Gray

#43 Post by Llwyd The Gray » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi Leigh,

OOohh crap ya got me. I have been shooting shite latley. Damm shame, bloody nice bow in the hands of a poor performer.

Huzzah!!! Llwyd :D

Llwyd The Gray

#44 Post by Llwyd The Gray » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:45 pm

hidey hey and a hey nonny hee,

nearly time! counting down the hours, not many sleeps left. I getting the period gear out and pressing my hoise and braes, oiling the leather, waxing string & bow.

Love that smell of fletchtite in the evening, don't Yew?? :lol:

Knock, Draw, Loose!!

Mick Smith

#45 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:13 pm

Llwyd

Now mate, just because it's gonna be hot on Sunday (38 degrees), it doesn't mean you blokes can run around without your undies on, under your dresses. I remember that scene from the movie Braveheart. I don't think I'd be able to carry on afterwards, if that happened. :shock:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Len

#46 Post by Len » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:34 am

Dont worry Mick we always wear our braies.The forecast at the moment for our area is 34, still hot but at least at Mossvale it is well dotted with 100 year old English trees to give us some shade, bring your sunscrene and water !
Hmmmmmmm.............

GrahameA

#47 Post by GrahameA » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:12 am

Mick (and others)

Don't forget your camera. There are expectaions of many good or even better photos. :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Llwyd The Gray

#48 Post by Llwyd The Gray » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:58 pm

methinks I'll just medieval attire for the morning and then!!! Change to the more comfortable club polo and shorts after luncheon :D Now back to those registration forms!!
:oops:

Len

#49 Post by Len » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:41 am

One more sleep ! Thats if I can sleep tonight ! Just got back from the park and it was beautiful out there this morning, I felt like throwing a line in the river while Morgan and I marked out the clout targets .
Hmmmmmmm.............

Mick Smith

#50 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:37 pm

Any swimming holes in that river Len? How are we going to go with the BBQ on a total fireban day? We might have to resort to salad rolls or something. :)

A bit of hot weather won't bother us though. The forecast is for strong northerly winds, that should make the clout event interesting. I'll be bringing plenty of water, a good hat, shorts, t-shirt and sandals, oh and my archery gear of course. :D

There's going to be at least two car loads of mostly "mongol hordes" coming from Geelong.

See yous there!!! :wink:

Mick

Len

#51 Post by Len » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:16 pm

Dont worry Mick our area is not fire ban tomorrow and even if it was we can meet all the rules to allow a bbq going on a fire ban day.See you all in the morning !
Hmmmmmmm.............

Lochmoy

The Horde

#52 Post by Lochmoy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:05 pm

It may have been stinking hot and we may have had a couple of small arrow snapping tradgedies but you guys at LMS kicked of the year of traditional events in Victoria spectacularly!

Inspite of the heat you were fantastically organised and I know everyone had a great time and are looking forward to the next event.

You deftly created events that were relevant to the re-enacting genre but also provided with non-reenactors an excellent chance to show their stuff.

The future of trad. archery in Victoria is looking even brighter. What a great start to the year.

Special thanks to Len, Morgan, Lloyd, Anthony and anyone else who worked tirelessly on the day.

Many pics to come.

Llwyd The Gray

#53 Post by Llwyd The Gray » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:06 am

Thanks Mate,

I trust all got home safe and well and not too touched by the sun. I too would like to thank my fellow club members. Lots of learnings to address, but many an accolade from good folk who no doubt had a good day. I congratulate you and Gav for your work in VTA. Know well you have the support of LMS in your endeavours.
Thank also to our brothers and sisters from regional Vic and across the border for their support. We look forward seeing you all soon at Geelong. If its cooler I'll even were my kit? :lol:

an ole bowman's saying: Close don't Tally
Huzzah!

Lloyd
Last edited by Llwyd The Gray on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

hardgainer

#54 Post by hardgainer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:53 am

For my first Trad outing hell!! I have not had that much fun in years. What a great day cemented by the friendlyness and approach'ability and help of all concerned. It was great to be amongst like minded archers shooting real Bows.
Top marks to organiser's and all concerned. Thanks Guys.
Ive just got to add a HUZZAH >>>---->

White Hawk

Leongatha shoot 2007

#55 Post by White Hawk » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:10 am

What a great day!

Despite the scorching heat it was fantastic to see so many come out for the first shoot of the year in the Vic rounds for 2007 and make it an overwhelming success!

Big thanks must go to all at Leongatha, Lloyd, Len, Anthony, Morgan and all who helped set up a great event, under difficult conditions.

It was great to see the event having it's own flavour with the Knight shoot. I think by adding club specific events we can continue to make these events fun and exciting for all.

A testament to the enthusiasm of trad archers was in the numbers that turned up (around 40 participants) despite the heat.

Also big thumbs up to the Bega crew for making the trip and to 'Ole Silver' for 'popping in' from Townsville! Also to Anthony who came all the way from the battlefield of Hastings for the event!

So on behalf of the Geelong 'Southern Horde' thanks again for a great day folks and we look forward to seeing all of you again at the Geelong Longbow Challenge on March 24th. It's gonna be a great year for trad archery in VIC!

We will post some pic shortly!

Hazzzzzzarrrrr!
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Mick Smith

#56 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:03 pm

I echo White Hawk's comments. Thanks fellas, for putting on such a great day. :wink: I think everyone enjoyed themselves to the hilt. :D

Here's a few photos I took on the day. It's pretty near impossible to shoot and take photos too. In the speed events it was impossible, I couldn't even get my quota of arrows away in the time, never mind take photos. :oops:

I hope the photos can convey some of the beauty of the location and the unique "fair" flavour provided courtesy of LMS. The photos won't fully convey the relaxed and convivial atmosphere that we all experienced on the day, but the many smiling faces should bear some testimate to how we all felt. 8)

Mick
Attachments
Armour with chainmail.JPG
Armour with chainmail.JPG (122 KiB) Viewed 5233 times
Penetration test on chainmail.JPG
Penetration test on chainmail.JPG (100.45 KiB) Viewed 5233 times
Shady stall.JPG
Shady stall.JPG (80.01 KiB) Viewed 5233 times
Clout shooting.JPG
Clout shooting.JPG (87.9 KiB) Viewed 5233 times

Mick Smith

#57 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:10 pm

Here's a few more photos....
Attachments
Clout shoot.JPG
Clout shoot.JPG (99.91 KiB) Viewed 5228 times
Grieving Leigh.JPG
Grieving Leigh.JPG (83.76 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
Butt down.JPG
Butt down.JPG (85.5 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
Looking down the clout line.JPG
Looking down the clout line.JPG (88.19 KiB) Viewed 5227 times

Mick Smith

#58 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Here's one I missed ....
Attachments
Scoring clout.JPG
Scoring clout.JPG (72.45 KiB) Viewed 5223 times

hernehunter

what a scorcher...

#59 Post by hernehunter » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:41 pm

Gidday from Big Ants,

I would like to throw my two cents into the ring and add my congratulations to all involved in yesterdays proceedings. A well organised shoot, with a great variety of "ends" to keep the day interesting, and a friendly group of participants and spectators will leave me with some great memories to take back to old Blighty.

Now that I know a few more people on this site I shall endeavour to keep you posted on re-enactment shoots in the UK and the Oxford area over the up-coming "summer" season.

Keep your bow strings dry, stay in the shade, and beware the "wayward wind"...

Cheers, Ants
One shot, one kill....(I wish!)

Martology

#60 Post by Martology » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi guys, Anthony from the Leongatha Medieval Society here. Thanks to everyone who made the trek down to Leongatha on that very hot Sunday. It was fantastic to see so many people come down and have a great day of archery. We are definitely looking forward to the Geelong shoot in March so we will hopefully see you all there. Hazaa!!

We did have an incident of some peoples arrows being damaged on the day (as you can see in the previous photos) and for this we are very sorry. I myself lost 4 arrows when wind blew over a target. I have found out some of the people who were affected but if you have not heard from me by tomorrow (by email or phone) and you were affected could you please email me at martology@gmail.com with a rundown of what was damaged on Sunday. This would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly :)

P.S. This is my first post here so do I get a prize or something? No?
Anthony
Leongatha Medieval Society