Corrival - Day 1

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Corrival - Day 1

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:44 pm

Hi All

Day one of the Corrival.

So far everyone seem to be enjoying themself and the "Iron Cane Toad" is taking its toll.

I understand that there are approximately 60 shooters at the event and car park still has room. There is even some room in the camping area.

The Running Pig has been interesting as has "The Tower". Your perspective is different 3 metres in the air.

The Roast Beef rolls are "superb".

Actually shot arrows today and as a result the photos are from the groups of either side of my group plus Lorraine and Dale. Only broke two arrows - one on the Running Pig when I hit a support and the other on that "Iron Cane Toad".

Meanwhile enjoy a few photos. I have kept the size down so as to keep the download small. I will try and shoot less and take more photos tomorrow.

Warm-Up first thing in the morning.

Love those fletches - they really stand out in the grass.

The Running Pig

Check out Dale's new bow. :shock:

A Pipe shot! Archers view - my arrow is in the target. :D

Another Pipe shot. And my arrows are in both targets - :D :D

A "Blind" shot

Jarrad up the tower.
Last edited by GrahameA on Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

MaylandL

#2 Post by MaylandL » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:05 pm

Great pics Grahame, it looks like a lot fun Love thos shots thru the pipe :)

Bodes well for day 2.

Happy shooting :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:03 pm

Thanks for sharing those with us Grahame. :D The various shots of the competitors at full draw tells us a bit about them, ie, their archery gear, their shooting technique and to some extent, their personality as indicated by their dress, appearance and facial expressions and the amount of fun they are having. As usual, keen archers and a certain strength of character seem to go hand in hand. 8)

I'm looking forward to tomorrows installment. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Glenn Newell

#4 Post by Glenn Newell » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:27 pm

I was down there today Grahame but I didn't get to meet you, don't know what you look. It is a very good shoot in total 85 registered shooters was the final count, good to see that there was a small but very good crafting section there, which was good to see.
The Corrival is growing every year, it's a good shoot where everyone feel welcome. Try to make this shoot one not to miss if you can get there next time...Glenn...

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:56 am

All in all a great day was had by me and today will be better - cooler. Will try and take more photos. You also see my downside in that I tend to take photos of people rather than the scene. See what I can get today.

Hi Mayland

The shots through the pipe were interesting. Concentrates the mind. The knack is to get low enough so that you have a clear view of your target down the center of the pipe. If you are shooting with the pipe angled you may be shooting an arrow with a very short life.

"The Blind" is not as easy as it looks and there are five targets to be shot.

"The Tower" is also a challenge. I found my self cramped for room but could still shoot the targets. There was a turkey directly below the tower, so it was a vertically down shot. Bow control was of the essence. I ended up just half drawing the bow and zap.

There was a target with a stump halfway. A very"gettable" shot but it would play hell with you if you were a gap shooter.

Hi Mick

Styles are varied as are the bows. I shot the Darto-mick and loved it. There are some beautiful bows being used and some of them are lovely examples of the bowyers art. As well some of them should be in a museum - I shudder at the loss if they were to break. (A person ahead of me was shooting a Yamaha EX - it made me feel good.)

That bow of Dale's is one of the most recent designs in the world and is a local Qld (Sunshine Coast) product.

Shot the morning using my side quiver and after lunch used the back quiver - that was a smart move. I saw a few interesting setups - you could go home and a have a field day modfying stuff.

Hi Glenn

The crafts of display were good - I thought there would have been more. There is a message there - must make something for the next one.

You looked as if you were in deep conversation with Perry. :D
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:56 am

Looks like it was a fun day.
That bow of Dale's is one of the most recent designs in the world and is a local Qld (Sunshine Coast) product.
That thing Dale was shooting is one of the ugliest bows I've seen IMO. :?

Jeff

Glenn Newell

#7 Post by Glenn Newell » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:09 am

I was sorry I couldn't go down today, so many people to talk to. As usual this traditional shoot was like the others, are friendly and relaxed. Grahame could you tell us more about Dales bow, I'm very interested now that I know it comes from the Sunshine Coast, I did see it hanging up on Saturday but didn't pay much attention to it, but now I know it is a local product that's a different story.
The Caboolture Club is going to push the crafting side of things more, and seeing how quickly this shoot is growing and now I'm sure the crafting will grow. Might have to see what we can do down there with bow workshops and anything else related to crafting archery products...Glenn...

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:42 pm

Hi Jeff

It just looks different. :D All bows are beautiful. Note I have photos of longbow shooters included.

Hi Glenn

I will find out more about it within the next week. All I know so far is that it is targetted towards FITA shooters. The main section of the riser appears to be a CNC milling. All of the components are held together with screw fittings. Its lines are reminiscent of the DAS Kinetics in some respect. I wil see Dale later in the week and will find out as much as I can.
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

GrahameA

Day 2

#9 Post by GrahameA » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:57 pm

Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:11 pm

It just looks different. All bows are beautiful.
Can't agree with you there mate as some bows simply aren't very good looking. I stand by what I said, to me Dale's bow is very UGLY!!!

Jeff

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:20 pm

I couldn't help but notice that one competitor was using a Martin Savannah longbow (3rd photo). Now there's one nice looking and nice performing bow. You don't see them very often, which is a pity because they're a really nice shooting bow.

All bows are good. They are sort of like children, even if they aren't particularly pretty, they're still look good, especially in their parents eyes, or in this case, their owner's eyes.

I reckon half the fun of these comps is checking out all the different bows. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Glenn Newell

#12 Post by Glenn Newell » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:33 pm

I think it's good to see a variety of bows and materials, it shows peoples thinking isin't stuck in narrow parameters. Dales bow is built for a specific jod and it probably does that job well, so it would make it a good looking bow in his eyes. I remember bring a flatbow to a shoot once, it was a very good shooting bow and I was very pleased with it, that is until someone came up to me and told me it was an ugly looking bow, sometimes your private thoughts should stay that way PRIVATE :evil:...Glenn...

Juggernaut

#13 Post by Juggernaut » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:35 pm

wow that left handed longbow shooter looks like a great shot. maybe he could teach me a thing or two bout shooting. HAHAHAHA.

great pics Grahame. it was a fun weekend.

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:13 pm

Hi Jarrad

You only made Day 1 because you were in the group in front - you know the one that was slowing everyone down. :D :? :) :lol:

Day 2 was a bit busy due to other events so I missed you.

Look on the bright side - Nth Albert is coming up at Easter and I am certain I will be able to get the odd embarassing photo. :shock:

Keep tallking about shooting bows from the wrong side - it will impress Jeff.

Have you considered a WARF????
Grahame.