Ballarat Bowhunters Trad Shoot

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

#31 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:00 pm

Not many left now ....
Attachments
Running pig shoot.JPG
Running pig shoot.JPG (90.13 KiB) Viewed 4148 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#32 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:08 pm

Jamie won the Boy's junior longbow section. He broke his bow string earlier, so he's using my Chek-Mate Atilla (with good effect) in the photo below.
Attachments
jamie lines up a pig.JPG
jamie lines up a pig.JPG (105.87 KiB) Viewed 4141 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#33 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:17 pm

More ...
Attachments
Wes and gang scoring.JPG
Wes and gang scoring.JPG (81.56 KiB) Viewed 4138 times

Mick Smith

#34 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:29 pm

Yiiipppeeetttyyy yiiipppeeetttyy that's all I've got folks. :D

I didn't manage to get any photos of the balloon novelty event. There were two lengths of string running away from the shooters and attached to each string was 6 balloons. You had 20 seconds to break as many as possible. The closest balloon was only about 10 yards away and the further most was about 40 yards away. Unfortunately the balloons ran out before all the shooters got a go, as they kept popping in the breeze. It was all over before I got the camera out. Surprisingly the event was won by one of the junior competetors, with 4 balloons popped and six arrows shot, which was a great effort.

Needless to say the Ballarat shoot was an unqualified success story. There were 40 shooters in attendance. Everything ran smoothly and efficiently. Special thanks to Woody, Ian (aka Rudd) and in particular to Faye, who worked like a Trojan all weekend, cooking and cleaning up after everyone.

I'm looking forward to the next one. 8)

Mick

GrahameA

#35 Post by GrahameA » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:24 pm

Mick

Great photos. Well done.

That little rabbit would make a great silhouette. :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

robbbo

#36 Post by robbbo » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:25 pm

Thanks Mick for some great photos
Andrew
Life is not measured by the breaths we take,
But by the moments that take our breath away.

White Hawk

Ballarat Trad shoot

#37 Post by White Hawk » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:03 am

Hi folks,

What a great success the weekend was! Our crew from Geelong Archers had a great time, and on behalf of us all I would like to thank once again all the folks from Ballarat Bow hunters for making us all feel welcome at our first official ABA shoot and for the hard work they did in making such an event possible.
Having run this kind of thing ourselves we recognise that without hard working individuals behind the scenes these things don't happen. I'd like to make special mention of Faye, who kept us well fed and watered all weekend, attending to everyone's needs from early morning until well into the night, thanks Faye!

Great to meet a whole bunch of new shooters, and also catch up with some familiar faces, many from our Ozbow community, and great to see the QLD crew making the pilgrimage down south again.

with thanks

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

woody

#38 Post by woody » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:17 am

Mick,
Thanks for posting the pics, and the kind words. I'd like to thank Faye for working her magic with the canteen, Ian, Shane, John K, John S, Dave and Lorne, and everyone else who contributed to the shoot.

These Trad shoots seem to attract the friendliest people in the archery community, people who place the emphasis on having a ball shooting their bows. :D

My only regret is not having more time to mingle socially, with visitors coming from as far away as Queensland, Ballarat Bowhunters would like to thank all who travelled up and made the shoot special. :D

White Hawk,
at our first official ABA shoot

Not an ABA event mate, unfortuneately, ABA is not interested in being involved in this type of social event.
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

Mike-dy

#39 Post by Mike-dy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:18 pm

Another fantastic Trad Shoot at Ballarat. For those that haven't attended one of these you don't know what your missing.
It was great to meet a lot of Ozbowers there and put faces to names.
For those that haven't seen them Steve Wallaces arrows are works of art.
Now to convince the wife I need some more arrows to go with the new Bow coming for Xmas :)

Cheers,
Mike

Lochmoy

More Trad shoots

#40 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:44 pm

Yes indeed a great event. Met some excellent archers and fine people too.

Don't forget that if you want to do more trad. comps in Victoria send an email to us at Geelong Archers. We will put your email on our data base and let you know when events are happening around Victoria in 2007.

Seven events are on the books for next year including I hope another great event at Ballarat Bowhunters. There will be 3 at Geelong and others at Leongatha and Hawthorn.

trad. database email lochmoy -at- westnet.com.au
For email just replace -at- with @
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

gary p

#41 Post by gary p » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:35 am

Looks like I,ve missed a great weekend, I am going to try to get down to a vic shoot next year, just need a couple of months warning to save my pennies. we should post a trad shoot calender on ozbow so we all know and can plan our years shooting .GAZ
One crowed hour of glorious life
is worth an age without a name.

Scrub Bull

#42 Post by Scrub Bull » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:59 am

A great big thank you to Woody, Ian, Faye and everybody at the Ballarat shoot. We had the best time and will be making the trip south again next year. We have already started working on bringing more Queenslanders with us next year. Thanks for the bottle of port that kept us warm on the last night YUM :lol:

Mark and Maura

Mick Smith

#43 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:05 pm

Hey Mark & Maura

I been half expecting to see an incriminating photograph taken by a member of your group at Ballarat. Maybe we haven't seen it, because it didn't come out, I hope that's the case anyway. :lol: Does anyone know of any trad shoots where's theres no trees? :oops:

It was great talking to you both over the weekend. I hope to see you again somewhere soon. 8) :D

Mick

little arrows

#44 Post by little arrows » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:04 pm

we had a great time. Many many thanks to Faye, Ian, Woody, Shane and others who pitched in to make it a great weekend. Mental note to self - more warm clothes for the evenings and early morning, lighter stuff for the middle of the day - so that makes 5 layers and peel as you go.
It was also good meeting heaps of new people, making new friends and catching up with old ones.
And big WELL DONE to young Luke Laskey who shot the final round with my "little arrows".
We'll be back......
Mick is this photo you mean?
sue
Attachments
who planted that there?
who planted that there?
Ballarat 006.jpg (192 KiB) Viewed 3980 times

Mick Smith

#45 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:18 pm

Hi Sue,

I think that red face in the photo is just a reflection off the red t-shirt. :D

Congratulations to both you and to Steve for "cleaning up" in the recurve division. :wink: It was great catching up with you for a chat or two, once again at Ballarat.

Well at least it didn't rain and every day was pretty sunny, even if the mornings were a bit brisk. 8)

I'm really looking forward to the next shoot at Ballarat. I think I'll need to diet a bit beforehand though. How were those meals? 8)

Mick
Last edited by Mick Smith on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

little arrows

#46 Post by little arrows » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:26 pm

dont feel toooo bad Mick, here's a fluke for you, but don't those Wallace Woods look good in the centre........ :lol:
sue
Attachments
Ballarat 013.jpg
Ballarat 013.jpg (152.8 KiB) Viewed 3962 times

little arrows

#47 Post by little arrows » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:33 pm

and here's one of the balloons - that was fun.
Hey Gary, yes you did miss a good shoot - will fill you in when we next see you.
Mick - see you same time next year
sue
Attachments
Ballarat 003.jpg
Ballarat 003.jpg (107.94 KiB) Viewed 3958 times

MaylandL

#48 Post by MaylandL » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:58 pm

Great looking pics! Looks like everyone had a great time and the weather looked like it was a perfect shooting day.

Looking forward to the next trad shoot :)

Happy shooting all
They'll never hit us from this dist....

huntress

trad shoot

#49 Post by huntress » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:18 am

:D hi to all the people who made the ballarat shoot a successfull week-end with-out you it would not happen ,we have met and made some new friends and i am sure we will run into many of you at the next trad shoot .i would like to send a big thank-you to sue,moura ,mark ,and steve you were great company .thanks again to all .ps sue cooks a great brekky special thanks suzie .faye ///thanks for the kind comments guys ,

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#50 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:13 pm

Congrats on a great shoot and glad everyone had a good time. Glad the weather improved from the week before or Sue would have had 10 layers of clothes on. :lol:

Jeff