Ballarat Bowhunters Trad Shoot

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

woody

Ballarat Bowhunters Trad Shoot

#1 Post by woody » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:44 pm

When ? November the 25th and 26th of 2006

Where? Ballarat Bowhunters Club Inc. Ballarat Field and Game Club Grounds Bells Rd, Haddon

Shooting fee’s $ 15 Adults $ 10 juniors

Who can come? All longbow and recurve archers are welcome, non ABA guests sign visitors book and pay $2 insurance fee

Equipment and Rules : No Wheel bows, no sights, enjoy yourselves

Camping Facilities: Plenty of camping space, hot shower available, flushing amenities, town water.

Canteen Menu:

Friday night, free sausage sizzle, Free tea and coffee, cakes and slices all weekend

.Breakfasts , Saturday / Sunday : Bacon , eggs, sausages, on a plate, on bread or bread rolls

.Saturday lunch Hamburgers or sausages in bread rolls with your choice of onion, lettuce, cheese, tomatoe and beetroot.

Saturday night Roast meal with sweets

Sunday lunch Roast beef or chicken rolls, or Hamburgers .

Program: 3D targets, novelty events, running boar, speed round.

Enquires to: Faye Ph: 03 53 428704 Email: ianruddick@dodo.com.au

R.S.V.P. By 01 / 11/06 would be very much appreciated but not essential, registration accepted on the day

http://www.geocities.com/ballaratbow/maptoballbow.html

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:44 pm

I'll be there. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:12 pm

Woody

There's no mention of arrows and whether or not they have to be wooden ones. Will carbons be OK?

See ya there. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

woody

#4 Post by woody » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:16 am

Mick,
There are no rules regarding arrows, whatever you normally shoot from your longbow or recurve will be fine. The only rules, are that you shoot barebow, and you must enjoy your week end :D
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

little arrows

#5 Post by little arrows » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:53 am

carbons ????? CARBONS !!!!!!!! - Mick, please wash your mouth out. :lol: Carbon arrows at a trad shoot? nah I must be reading wrong :wink:
sue

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:46 pm

Hi Sue

Yeah you're right. I much prefer to use wooden arrows, but I can shoot a little better with carbons. Seeing that it's a "fun" shoot, I'll probably stick with my old faithful "Silverwoods". I know these Ballarat boys can shoot though. I've seen a couple of them in action :shock: . I might have to resort to using modern technology if that's what the others are using. :D

I don't have that much of a problem with carbon and aluminium shafts. It's common to see traditional archers using them, particularly in the US. We accept high tech materials in our bows, like fiberglass and modern glues, so really I can't see much wrong with synthetic arrow shafts. Like you, I much prefer the look and feel of wooden ones however. 8)

Mick

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:10 pm

I've been talking with a few of the blokes at the Geelong Archers. It seems there will be at least a few (hopefully even more) representitives from Geelong at the Ballarat shoot, in 8 days time. I believe the Donald boys will be there. Sue and Steve will be there.

I'm certain there will be many people there. I'm really looking forward to it. 8)

I hope to see you there too. :wink:

Mick

ole_silver

#8 Post by ole_silver » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:37 pm

hi Woody.................

hope you guys have a wonderful time............

lookin' forward to seein' some picy's...........

great support from Sue N Steve, Mick (Geelong) and Douglas boys Geoff n Nev..

just watch Nev n Mick, they are very quiet but very deadly.........

best regards
Steve..
ole_silver1..................

"have a go now, 'fore ya can't have a go at all"

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:54 am

Mick, Sue, et al

Lots of photos please. You cannot have to many photos. :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:25 pm

steve phoned me at work earlier and told me it was snowing, yes snowing in Ballarat........... oh boy, I do hope it warms up just a little. I have shot in sleet, I guess that can't be too far off snow - but I mean gee wiz, what happened to Spring......
sue

yes Graham with take lots of pictures.

woody

#11 Post by woody » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:27 pm

I wouldn't worry about the weather, the shoot is over a week away and fine weather is forecast for this week end, the shoot is the week end after, and, at this time of year, is usually pretty warm :D

This cold snap is unusual, as everyone knows Ballarat is famous for fine weather :D

No seriously, I heard on the radio that there was snow at the 90 mile beach in Gippsland, I believe most of Victoria is cold. Very unusual for November.
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

woody

#12 Post by woody » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:34 am

Mick has a thread on silohette targets going and I thought I'd reply to it here.

As you thought Mick, it has been done before in the US, with archery equipment

We are going to do a similar thing at our trad shoot using balloons

Two 40 metre rope will be pegged out running out from the shooting line, with a balloon tied on every 5 metres

Two archers will then have 20 seconds to shoot at the balloons, the most popped balloons wins.

The winner will have to shoot fast and accurately at different distances, and it should be a fun one to watch and should be a true test for barebow archery :D

woody

#13 Post by woody » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:08 pm

We will be having a flu flu event, we have flu flus made up for anyone who doesnt have any but if you wish to bring your own thats fine.

fista

#14 Post by fista » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:26 pm

Are Horse bows alowed or is the comp strictly long bow and recurve.

woody

#15 Post by woody » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:32 pm

If it doesnt have wheels its ok :D but it will be probably in the recurve section.

Hood

#16 Post by Hood » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:50 pm

MickS you say your worried about the Rat boys and how well they shoot. Well another for you to watch out for is a bloke from my club by the name of Allan Murray, he represented Aust. in Scottland a couple of years back, He told me he's taking his Black Widow. Not sure if any of the other boys from my club are going.

Have fun all.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

huntress

#17 Post by huntress » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:23 am

hi all ,we look forward to welcoming all shooters at the trad shoot this coming week-end and hope a good time will be had by all,//faye D

maskn

#18 Post by maskn » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:36 am

There is at least 6 of us coming from Geelong. See ya there ;)

Mick Smith

#19 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:05 pm

Woody

I thought someone would have tried "silhouette" archery somewhere before. :D

I like your planned event with the balloons. It sounds as though it will be a great challenge.

I'm just back from a week long family holiday and I'll be heading to Ballarat either Friday night or early Saturday morning. :wink:

Mick

Allan Murray won't worry me mate, as I'm sure most of the archers attending this shoot will be able to shoot much better than me. It will be great just to see good archers in action. I'll be there just for the fun of it. 8)

Mick

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:21 pm

Is it Allan or one of the other blokes from SA that has that great number plate - 'LONGBOW' on his vehicle? :D I saw it at one of the Longbow Musters one year.

Jeff

maskn

#21 Post by maskn » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:23 am

Saturday Fine. Min 8 Max 27
Sunday Fine. Min 10 Max 24
Monday Fine. Min 10 Max 28

Its gonna be a another BEAUTIFUL DAY!

woody

#22 Post by woody » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:46 am

See, I told you guys the sun always shines at Ballarat .......:D

Mick Smith

#23 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:23 pm

Just got back from the Ballarat Shoot. All I have managed to bring home is a couple of extra inches to my waistline. The food was fantastic and the shoot was pretty good too. 8) As promised, here's a few photos ....
Attachments
Ballarat shoot start.JPG
Ballarat shoot start.JPG (91.33 KiB) Viewed 6372 times

Mick Smith

#24 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:27 pm

We had good weather for the event. It was a bit cool this morning for the Queenslanders though. :P
Attachments
David lines one up.JPG
David lines one up.JPG (87.7 KiB) Viewed 6370 times

Mick Smith

#25 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:41 pm

Sue and Steve won the quinella for the mens and ladies recurve section. Well done guys!!!!
Attachments
Sue lining one up.JPG
Sue lining one up.JPG (87.51 KiB) Viewed 6366 times

Mick Smith

#26 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:48 pm

More photos ....
Attachments
Flu flu event.JPG
Flu flu event.JPG (99.68 KiB) Viewed 6365 times

Mick Smith

#27 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:51 pm

More ...
Attachments
General view of camping area.JPG
General view of camping area.JPG (95.98 KiB) Viewed 6361 times

Mick Smith

#28 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Still more ...
Attachments
Jacqui showing good form.JPG
Jacqui showing good form.JPG (101.14 KiB) Viewed 6359 times

Mick Smith

#29 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:55 pm

Jacqui won the girl's junior recurve section.
Attachments
Jacqui shots at boar.JPG
Jacqui shots at boar.JPG (89.04 KiB) Viewed 6357 times

Mick Smith

#30 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:57 pm

More photos ...
Attachments
Pin cushion bunny.JPG
Pin cushion bunny.JPG (98.4 KiB) Viewed 6356 times