trad clubs/gatherings eastern suburbs melbourne?

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

matlock

trad clubs/gatherings eastern suburbs melbourne?

#1 Post by matlock » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:40 pm

just wondering if there's any clubs or gatherings in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne( or surrounding suburbs) i know there's a club at diamond valley not sure if they cater for traditional archery any info?cheers.

bleeroyb

#2 Post by bleeroyb » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:47 pm

Hi there,

There are quite a few so I'll start with the first 3 that come to mind.

Sherbrooke Archers - Really nice bunch of people, a few guys with a longbow (and even a 14 year old pulling a 30# longbow...champ!). Really nice grounds, and they are just the other side of ferntree gully (off of Glenfern Rd, beware though...do not take a lowered car because you have to take a short [200m or so] trip offroad and the road is a little funky).

Box Hill city archers - Mostly compounds, really close to the city and easy to spot (corner of Middleborough and Canterbury Rd). Got to admit I used to shoot there, and I don't know if its improved, but not that great an atmosphere for my liking (and really no trad stuff). However, they are really really close to the city and if you just want to practice shoot its good for that.

Waverley City archers - Just off of Wellington Rd right next to the turnpike to the Monash freeway. Never been there, have no idea what the people or the club is like but I've ridden past it a million times and it looks to be promising (sorry I don't more info on it).

Hope that helps, good luck!

Cheers,

Leeroy
Days, when the ball of our vision
Had eagles that flew unabashed to the sun;
When the grasp on the bow was decision,
And arrow and hand and eye were one.

-George Meredith (excerpt of 'Ode to youth in memory')

Lochmoy

Trad. Archery Eastern Suburbs

#3 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:59 pm

Hi Matlock

Although there are not clubs in the East Suburbs that are solidly traditional there will be a calendar of traditional comps. put on around Victoria (including in Hawthorn) that will cater specifically for trad. archers. I am the Vice President of the Geelong archers were up to 15 members shoot trad bows and as the Victorian Rep for Traditional Archery Australia I am working with several groups at the moment to put on at least 6 events and maybe more in 2007.

If you want me to put you on my data base/email list send me an email to lochmoy@westnet.com.au

Cheers

Leigh
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

robbbo

#4 Post by robbbo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:29 pm

Matlock,
Give me a call mate my local club at Launching Place although not catering for trad shooters exclusively has a far few numbers that only shoot trad and the owner is more than helpfull.
Cheers Robbbo
ps I am still shooting the Crusader mate one of the best buys I have made.If you dont have my number pm me or if you like I can give you a bell over the weekend.
Life is not measured by the breaths we take,
But by the moments that take our breath away.

matt_d

#5 Post by matt_d » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:56 pm

Matlock,

You may also want to look at Yarra Bowmen who are in Bulleen.. we are an AV club but have a growing contingent of traditional shooters and it is very well accepted within the club. We will also be one of the clubs putting on a trad event later on this year.

Matt

jfruitcake

#6 Post by jfruitcake » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:29 pm

Anyone know any clubs where I can learn to shoot properly in the northern suburbs and John can practice with his new bow :-)

I would like to be able to hit the target more than 3 times in Dunolly :-)

Michelle
Michelle, John & 3 three getting bloody big rugrats

hardgainer

#7 Post by hardgainer » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi Michelle..If its learning to shoot from scratch and bow setup Diamond Valley Archers Yan Yean (Northern Suburbs) run indoor beginners monday nights. They are a target club but do have a great field course which they use for Fita/3DAAA shoots. There is a small core of trad longbow shooters. Give them a ring on Melb 94361293 maybe they can get you launched if locality suits.

jfruitcake

#8 Post by jfruitcake » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:28 pm

Just thought I would let everyone know we did have a successful outcome and have joined Yarra Bowmen and have been very warmly welcomed. So if anyone else is looking :-)
Michelle, John & 3 three getting bloody big rugrats

Lochmoy

Yarra bowmen

#9 Post by Lochmoy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:46 pm

Ah yes, you couldn't have chosen a more welcoming club to trads. Fantastic with Hue, Norm, Matt et al.
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference