Geelong 2006 Asiatic (horse) Bow Challenge

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Lochmoy

Geelong 2006 Asiatic (horse) Bow Challenge

#1 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:25 pm

Geelong Archers are hosting a one day individual and team challenge for anyone with an asiatic style bow. This includes Horsebows, Korean bows and Japanese bows.

We hope to make this a yearly event to encourage prowess in the use of this style of bow.

Novices are encouraged to be involved as the teams are formed by averaging the scores of individual events from the morning to match the teams evenly so their is a good chance of winning something and have a great time doing it!

Details

Sunday October the 22nd

Jarvis Oval
Deakin University
Waurn Ponds Campus
Geelong
Victoria

Registration 9.00am

Entry $10/$7 cons.
Events start 10.00am

Contact

Leigh Adamson

Ph. 52433131
email lochmoy@westnet.com.au
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

MaylandL

#2 Post by MaylandL » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:59 pm

All the best with the event. Would love be on the shooting line. Would love see lots of photos please :)

Happy shooting
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Lochmoy

Horsebow comp.

#3 Post by Lochmoy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:41 am

Shall do Wing. I've been in contact with some Medieval Jousters based in Maitland NSW. They want to learn to shoot from a horse! Should be fantastic!

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:26 pm

Geeze Leigh, now you've got me thinking that maybe I need a horsebow. :?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

ole_silver

yes Mick

#5 Post by ole_silver » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:46 am

Hi Mick...........

you would wear it (horse bow) well mate................ hehe

i have already ordered and paid deposit but it is too far for me to come back down there..

i went for the Mongolian, Lochmoy is getting it in for me with the full rig...

back quiver, arm guard n nice set matchin' arrows...

best regards mate
Steve..

MaylandL

#6 Post by MaylandL » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:52 am

G'day all

Does my heart glad to see the interest in horsebows :)

Lochmoy

Horsebows

#7 Post by Lochmoy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:24 pm

Hey Mick,

What style and weight would you like? If you lay down a deposit on one you could join the comp. Should be alot of fun and good shooting as well. And when are you going to join the club? You could become an associate member which is alot cheaper and you can shoot 12 times a year. Once a month. We do 3D once a month so you might like to come just on those days.

Do it Mick. Do it. You'll never look back. You know you want to!!!

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:52 pm

Yes mate, I do want to. :wink: :D

I was going to visit you on Saturday, but things didn't turn out, as I had planned.

I'm actually interested in some form of family membership, if possible, as both my children are very keen also.

As much as I would like to, I can't buy a horsebow at the moment. I've got a custom made recurve (Chek-mate) that's going to be ready any day now and I will need every cent I can rake up to pay for it. A horsebow could very well be on the long term agenda though. At the very least, I will come and watch the horsebow shootout. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Lochmoy

Horsebows

#9 Post by Lochmoy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:33 pm

Hi Mick,

Not a problem. We have family memberships and we can hire you out a horsebow if you are really keen to join in. We only have a couple of spares but first in first served.

Cheers

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:34 pm

Just a reminder to us all that this event is on this weekend. If you're looking for something to do on Sunday, why don't you come for a drive and join in with the fun? :D

Mick

Timmah

#11 Post by Timmah » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:45 pm

I would really love to come along. Unfortunately the timing isn't so great. I am looking forward to the photos.. and perhaps video of the jousters... ;)

ole_silver

#12 Post by ole_silver » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:45 am

Hi Mick..............

get in early n grab one of lochmoys bows to tryout...

mine is on the now, but will let you know ...

give us some feed back please mate..

lochmoy has done up a set of arrows for me as well, red n gold..

wont be long now....

chat soon, may be back that way in a couple of weeks, will be sure to stay a weekend too.

cheers
Steve..

MaylandL

#13 Post by MaylandL » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:45 am

Mick Smith wrote:Just a reminder to us all that this event is on this weekend. If you're looking for something to do on Sunday, why don't you come for a drive and join in with the fun? :D
G'day Mick

Don't I wish. :roll: Strictly horseow event would be heaps of fun, but then again, I'm a little biased towards horesebows ;) :D Who would have guessed.

Anyway all the best of luck to all the shooters. Hope to see some pics of th shoot.

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:49 am

Steve and Wing

I'll let you know all about it, although I'm far from an expert especially when it comes to horsebows. :?

I'll take plenty of photos too. :wink:

Mick

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:39 pm

I went to the Horsebow Challenge this morning just to have a bit of a squiz, but ended up actually shooting in the comp. Gavin and Leigh kindly lent me one of their brand new horsebows (a 35#) and some arrows, as I didn't bring any gear at all.

There ended up being 16 archers there in total. The 16 were divided into 4 teams, Tartar, Magyar, Huns and Mongols. The teams were decided by the results of a "king's round", whereby the 4 best shooters were designated team captains. The captains then drew the other members of their team from a hat. The team members were rated and drawn in a manner that ensured each team had roughly the same amount of talent in total.

The king's round was started at 40 meters and after 3 rounds the distance was reduced to 30 meters and after 3 rounds the distance was further reduced to 20 meters. At 20 meters we only had the one round and then the last 2 rounds were speed events. You had to shoot 6 arrows in 40 seconds, which wasn't very rushed or difficult for most of us.

The next event was a simple field round at paper animal targets. It was just a 10 target event, with just one arrow per target. The field course is pretty challenging though with some very steep uphill and down hill shots.

The final event was very interesting. It involved a simulated horseback raid. Each competitor sat on a vaulting horse and shot one arrow at 6 different targets. The 6 targets were arranged in a semi-circle around the vaulting horse, starting from straight ahead and finishing with a shot directly behind. The targets were fairly close (about 15 meters), but it was more difficult than I expected, partly because everyone was looking at you and also due to the unaccustomed shooting stance.

All in all in was a fun day. I couldn't come to grips with the horsebow that I was using. The fact that the draw weight was only 35# didn't help and neither did the arrows that were way overspined for that bow. I had lots of fun though, even though my arrows were landing over 1 meter to the left at 20 meters, but only when I remembered to allow enough air to allow for the rainbow trajectory of the light draw weight bow. For me, it would have been far more satisfying to be shooting my own horsebow with matching arrows.... maybe next time. :wink:

Personally, I would have to rate the day a total success. It proves, in my mind at least, that a successful "mini" comp can be held as a one day event. There was archers there from Donald, Ballarat and Melbourne, as well as the Geelong locals.

I didn't take many photos, as I didn't have any way of carrying my camera whilst shooting, here's the few I did take .......
Attachments
Leigh riding the vaulting horse.JPG
Leigh riding the vaulting horse.JPG (95.99 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
The boys from Donald.JPG
The boys from Donald.JPG (91.74 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
Some horsebowboys warming up.JPG
Some horsebowboys warming up.JPG (94.29 KiB) Viewed 5818 times

GrahameA

#16 Post by GrahameA » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:24 pm

Hi Mick

Looks like a fun day. So when do you take a plunge and get an Asiatic Recurve?

Yeah,.... it is hard to take photos an participate in things. Eventually I give up and either participate or put the camera away.

Low weight bows - know that problem well. Was using a 20lb bow the other week and struggled to get form as I did not need to use the back muscles.

Persoanlly I foresee a big fuure for more "Traditional" Shoots.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mick Smith

#17 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:47 pm

Hi Grahame

Yes mate, I've been looking on the net at the various horsebows available. I will probably buy one within the next year or so. I would prefer one that looked a bit more like a typical laminated recurve. I'm not that excited about the leather wrappings and binding, I'd much prefer good old fashioned wood grain anyday. Not that there was anything wrong with the bow that Gavin and Leigh lent me. Although it was only a 35# bow, it certainly kicked the arrow out, more so than any other 35# bow that I've ever shot. It had a nice solid feel about it too. Even though I struggled to shoot this bow today, it certainly was consistant, even if the arrows were landing at least a metre to the left, due to the over spined arrows. Yeah yeah, I know all about the old saying about the "poor tradesman" blaming his tools. There was a bit of a problem with the archer too, I must admit. :oops:

I agree with your statement of traditional shoots having a big future and that's great, because it's such fantastic fun. :wink: :D

Mick

MaylandL

#18 Post by MaylandL » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:36 pm

That looked like fun with a "F" :!: :o Especially sitting astride the vaulting horse. Anysia as pouting that she could be participate with her Scythian.

Hey Leigh, I reckon that you should have a couple of horsebow specific events for the next Great Southern Trad shoot. Anysia and I are definitely wanting to come back for that.

Mick, shooting a horsebow is different to shooting other bows especially if the arrows are coming off the back of the hand. I take quite a deal of time when get a new horsebow to figure out the static and dynamic spine and weight of the arrows.

The dynamics and behaviour of a horsebow (because of the siyahs - think static recurve bow) is different to other recurves. They are very rewarding to shoot and can be quick as well. It will take a little time to get used to shooting a horsebow. Keep at it and I hope to have te opportunity to shoot horsebows with you on the shooting line.

On a different note, we may have a couple of other converts at the club that we are shooting at, we shall see :twisted:

Regardless its great to see that it was a successful event. hank you for the pics Mick and Leigh, great efort in organising this event.

Happy horsebow shooting :D

Lochmoy

Asiatic bow challenge

#19 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:45 pm

Hey Mick,

You truly are a man of letters. If you'd bought a bow you could have been shooting it without all those spine problems.

Never mind. Thanks for joining in the shoot. You allowed us to have exactly 4 on each team which was great.

Yes there will be more of these events and speciality horse bow events at the Great Southern Comp next year. Probably October.

16 Asiatic bows for the first comp. was a mean feat and we are always on the lookout for new and fun events.

Mick Smith

#20 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:15 pm

Leigh

It should be me thanking you mate. I really enjoyed it, thanks. The only trouble is, I now have a strong interest in horsebows. :?

I believe we have a longbow only comp in the works for Geelong in the near future. I'll be there will "bells on" 8) . Hopefully I'll be a fully paid up member of the Geelong Archers by then. At least I've got a couple of longbows (with matching arrows) :D .

We also have the Ballarat trad shoot coming up next month. 8) Things are looking very sweet indeed. :D 8)

Mick

MaylandL

#21 Post by MaylandL » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:36 pm

Mick Smith wrote:...The only trouble is, I now have a strong interest in horsebows. ...
welcome to the fold Mick :) :D

ole_silver

#22 Post by ole_silver » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:09 pm

Hi Mick...............

thanks for the feedback.................... and great report...
good pics there with: Lochmoy, Geoff (the axeman) n even Neville...

looked like a good day.....

as i have said, mine is on the way, getting very exited right now..

best regards
Steve..

Mick Smith

#23 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:16 am

G'day Steve

You'll love the bow mate. They shoot a fast arrow and they have next to no handshock. They're also very consistant in the accuracy department. For the money, they are excellent value. 8)

Mick