Geelong Vic. Trad shoot entry form Sept 2nd, 3rd

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Lochmoy

Geelong Vic. Trad shoot entry form Sept 2nd, 3rd

#1 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 pm

Entry forms are finally now available if you contact me and give me your details I can email a pdf of the entry form or post you a copy. Please encourage anyone you know who would be interested in coming along.

We'll be posting an attachment of the full program soon.

Regards Leigh (Geelong Archers)
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:21 pm

G'day Leigh,

I received the email with the pdf attached thanks. I won't be able to make it though sorry. All the best with it though.

Jeff

Lochmoy

flyer

#3 Post by Lochmoy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:32 am

Appreciate that Jeff and if you could attach it on Ozbow I would appriciate it as I can't figure out how to do it yet.

Ta Leigh

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:09 am

No worries Leigh it is attached here. For those with dial up it is a big file of approx 2mb.

Jeff
Attachments
singlepgFLYER.pdf
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 147 times

erron

#5 Post by erron » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:50 pm

I have downsized the file as it's 2 pages and I couldn'y get it to load, here it is (hopefully):

Erron
Attachments
page2.jpg
page2.jpg (101.8 KiB) Viewed 8864 times
page1.jpg
page1.jpg (102.26 KiB) Viewed 8864 times

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:30 pm

Lochmoy

You may have already mentioned this somewhere, but I haven't seen it. I'm a little curious about the facilities which will be provided to participants who will be attending. For example, are camping sites available or has some accomodation been arranged for people travelling in to Geelong from out of town? Will there be any food catering provided?

Cheers :D

Mick Smith
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

MaylandL

#7 Post by MaylandL » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:18 pm

Beat me to the punch Mick :)

I would really like to go but I have to see if I can get time off work and get a hold of some cases that I can put recurves, horsebows and arrows in as standard airline luggage. Its a pity that the really interesting trad archery events are so far from where we are :( .

I've got bow socks but I don't want to take the risk of damage to the bows from heavy handed baggage handlers who don't know what they are packing in the cargo hold and shifting luggage while in flight. Probably have to put a fragile sticker on the cases. This may be a the biggest logistic issue for me - protecting the tackle while in flight.

Otherwise its pretty straight forward to get there. For me, its a flight from Perth to Melb airport. Might stay a day in Melb itself and show my wife the sights - lygon street, vic markets, little burke st, art gallery etc - the usual tourist stuff.

Then hire car and drive via Princes Hwy to Geelong. Hopefully I won't get lost :) :roll: . I'm sure there are hotels we can stay at that close to Deakin Uni.

Wish us luck and hopefully we can meet some ozbowers. Happy shooting all :)

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:21 pm

Mayland

It would be great if you could make it. There is a large hotel/motel very close to the event, the Waurn Ponds Hotel. It's on the Princes Hwy (A1), so it's fairly easy to find. There's other motels and hotels within a couple of kilometers as well. There's a few caravan parks within approximately 5 kilometers.

Maybe camping will be allowed on the oval where the event is being held. I hope so, as it would be nice if this is the case. 8)

I agree, transporting one piece bows on domestic airflights would be a major headache. You would want to be certain they would arrive still as one piece bows. Maybe you could make up a solid case out of some 6 or 8 inch diameter PVC pipe by fitting a glue on cap at one end and a screw on one at the other, or better still, why don't you go out and buy yourselves a couple of nice takedowns? :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Anna

#9 Post by Anna » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:22 pm

Hi guys,

Yep, sturdy polypipe works a treat. We fitted our 2 reflex/deflex longbows and a small horsebow (all in their own bowsocks) in a 6" diameter pipe and it was a nice snug fit, nothing was damaged between Heathrow and Brissy. The arrow tubes we taped to the outside were a bit battered but the plastic was nowhere near as strong :(

Just check that the airline will carry your bows, we had a momentary panic at the airport when Virgin said they weren't obliged to as they were dangerous weapons :shock: :x....luckily they relented and took the bows on board.

ole_silver

#10 Post by ole_silver » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:26 pm

yeah Mick........

the pvc capped one end & scew top the other works a treat..

my longbow lives in one such & i made some more to tote my fishing rods every where i fly.................

i have shorter ones i made for the arrows......

the longer tubes are specially "walked" to & from the planes...

cheer
Steve....

MaylandL

#11 Post by MaylandL » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:48 pm

PVC pipe...what great idea!! :o Thank you for the suggestion :)

I might get a small length to try out and also get in touch with the airline.

Each of us would probable bring a couple of bows along - a horse bow and a recurve and enough arrows to stop an army :twisted: :D

This could work.

happy shooting all

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:49 pm

Mayland

I drove by the grounds where the shoot will be taking place. Actually there's a motel right next door. It's called the Aristocrat Waurnvale. The motel is on the Princes Hwy Waurn Ponds. There's a creek between the motel and the oval, but there's a bridge there that you can walk across. It looks to be a nice motel. If you wanted to drive from this motel to the oval, you would have to travel about 2 kilometers, but if you want to walk it's only 200 meters or so.

Mick
Last edited by Mick Smith on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:13 pm

Mayland

The receptionist at work tells the go is to fly JetStar which go to Avalon - which, I am told, is halfway to Geelong from Melbourne.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:57 pm

Yes Grahame I agree, if there's a direct flight that lands at Avalon, that would be the way to go. Avalon Airfield is on the freeway about halfway between Geelong and Melbourne (approximately 20 minutes to Geelong), whereas Tullamarine is miles from anywhere. Jetstar would probably be the cheapest too. 8)

Mick

erron

#15 Post by erron » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:03 pm

Virgin said they weren't obliged to as they were dangerous weapons
- my god, don't sound like Branson, do it :shock:

Erron

MaylandL

#16 Post by MaylandL » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:43 pm

This is definitely a goer...JetStar (aka Qantas lite ;) ) has a direct flight from Perth to the Avalon Airport just outside Geelong and they will carry the tackle (provided its packed safely - no prob there) as long as I can prove:

1. It's a bonafide event (Check); and
2. I'm a member of an Archery Club (Check).

Now all I have to do is to convince Anysia and sort out where I'm going to stay and make the bookings.

So far so good :)

Mick Smith

#17 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:19 pm

It's great that it's all happening Mayland. If you wanted to stay in a motel, the one I mentioned that's next door would be ideal. I don't know how much they charge per night though. It would be neat to be able to wander back and forth as you wanted.

I'm curious about transporting the bows. The whole thing with these airline regulations sounds excessive and ridiculous. A bow can hardly be classified as a dangerous weapon. How would you go with a takedown bow in your luggage? They wouldn't even know it was there, I bet.

Finding the venue would be relatively easy, even if you don't know Geelong at all. Just keep driving through Geelong, keeping to the Princes Hwy, go over the Barwon River (you couldn't miss that, unless it's at night time), go about another 5 kilometers and keep an eye out for the huge Bunnings store on your left as this is where you turn right into Pigdons Rd, the Deacon University entrance is off to the left about 300 yards up this road.

Alternatively, if you kept going past the Bunnings store, staying on the Princes Hwy, you will see the oval where the event is being held about half a kilometer past the big roundabout. The oval is on the left and the motel is next door just past it. You can't access the oval in a vehicle from the highway though.

The oval is right on the outer edge (on the other side from which you entered from Melbourne) of the developed area of Geelong. The rural areas start just after it and the speed limit is upped from 70 km to 80 kms right about there too.

I know this area well, as I drive past it every work day. :wink:

I dare say that Lockmoy will post maps, etc, well before the event anyway.

I look forward to seeing you there. :D

Mick

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:25 pm

There is no problems carrying bows on planes. Just have them packed correctly - no different to a fishing rod. That part about being a member of a club and going to a bonafide event is garbage IMO and most probably was just some antis personal opinion.

Jeff

MaylandL

#19 Post by MaylandL » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:07 pm

Mick Smith wrote:...I'm curious about transporting the bows. The whole thing with these airline regulations sounds excessive and ridiculous.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:...That part about being a member of a club and going to a bonafide event is garbage...
Yeah I agree but I'm happy to comply as long as they take the bow in the cargohold and don't give me any grief about it.

I'm going to get some pvc pipe, wrap the bows in bubble wrap and use capping as lids for the ends. Same thing with the arrows as well. Then tape the pvc pipes together.

Thank you for the directions as well Mick and like the new avatr btw :)
When I rang up JetStar, the guy said the Avalon airport is about 15 to 20min drive to the centre of Geelong. So this is looking good so far.

Now I just have to persuade Anysia that she would like to go as well ;)

Happy shooting everyone and hope to see some of you on the range

Lochmoy

Accomadation details

#20 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:53 am

Hi Everyone

Wow! this is a terrific response. Sorry I have not replied to requests quickly as I have been down at the Australian Titles coming second in the open long bow clout. (skite skite)

Anyway, we have a larger program of events and flyer but I have unsuccessfully tried to post it several times and my bloody computer just refuses to do it. This provides several accomadation options from camping to motel and the distance from the range. One motel is only 1km away.

You can get an airport shuttle I believe from both Tullamarine in Melbourn and Avalon. I believe the name of the company is "Gull"

I am happy to mail the details to anyone and you can email me on

lochmoy@westnet.com.au

and give me your address. Unfortunately the University wont allow camping on the grounds themselves but camping is available about 5 km away.

There was great interest in the Tournament from the Nationals and there are some keen long bowyers coming from all over. Should be a great meet. By the way you don't have to where costuming. The events are just based on medieaval rules and modified to suit our resources.

Don't hesitate to call me (my teenage daughter does hog the phone so perservere if it's engaged.

GrahameA

#21 Post by GrahameA » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:54 pm

For those are interested in Leigh's moment of glory;

http://150.101.163.26/results/Clout_res ... isionid=5#

I should have been there with the camera!!!!
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Lochmoy

directions to comp.

#22 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:54 pm

Thanks to Mick for pointing out the directions so well. There will be a big target showing where to turn on the corner where the University is and then on pointers to the shooting range. If you travel along and stay on the Princess hwy all the way through Geelong to the towns edge at Waurn Ponds you won't miss it. The target sign will be on the right hand side at the traffic lights oppisite Bunnings which is on the left.

Leigh

erron

#23 Post by erron » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:19 pm

coming second in the open long bow clout. (skite skite)
- skiting noted, deserved and congratulated, mate! Well done 8)

Erron

Mick Smith

#24 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:34 pm

Thanks Lochmoy for clearing that up. :D

The oval where the event will be held is a very good site. It's well protected from the wind, as it's tucked into the side of a gully. In fact I would say the steep side of the gully will be used as a convenient backstop for some events. There's the meandering Waurn Ponds creek on the other side, separating the oval from the busy Princes Hwy. The oval is far enough away from the highway to ensure noise won't be a problem. There's lots of trees planted around the outer areas of the oval reserve. All in all, it will be a very pleasant venue.

I'll be going for sure. How could I miss something this big relating to something I love that's going to be right in my own backyard?

I'm starting to think about arrows. What sort of wooden arrows will I need? How many will I need? Will they need to be numbered or anything like that, in order to compete in certain events? I know I will be needing some flu-flu's for the pigeon shoot, but how many I wonder?

I'm thinking about bows too. Will I be able to compete in every event with just the one bow?

I'm really looking forward to it. 8) I've never competed in an archery event before. Come on September!

Mick

Lochmoy

Catering and equipment advice

#25 Post by Lochmoy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:22 am

Food to purchase will be available pretty well all day. There will be morning tea. Lunch will be of the roll and sandwich variety but probably some hot food also. As most of us will no doubt be around for the night shoot a BBQ dinner will be on offer while we wait for the sun to set. (how exciting!).

Arrows. Most ends are 6 arrows but you might lose or break some. The 3D round is generally where people lose them. If you are a really accurate shooter a dozen should do. If your like me, I'd bring more.

If you have flu flu's that would be great but we will have them on hand for those that don't have any. They will be generic and at 32" to allow for maximum draw lengths.

Bows. As long as they are unaided (no sites, stabilizers, deliberate siting marks etc.) and have no wheels or cams (not compound) You may bring as many bows as you like and use anyone of them in any event. In fact you may change them between ends as often as you like. Just not during and end. The more different bow types the better. I myself will be shooting a long bow and horse bow (not at the same time though)

Thanks Mick for the great description of the range it was superb. And so is the venue.

MaylandL

#26 Post by MaylandL » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:06 am

Lochmoy wrote:...Most ends are 6 arrows but you might lose or break some. The 3D round is generally where people lose them. If you are a really accurate shooter a dozen should do. If your like me, I'd bring more.

If you have flu flu's that would be great but we will have them on hand for those that don't have any. ...
Oh darn...woe is me...I am going to have to make more arrows 8) :twisted: :)
Lochmoy wrote:...I myself will be shooting...horse bow...
Would love to see it and exchange notes. By then I hope to have the Grozer old scythian and the avarian horn composite.

Would love to set up a line of archers with horsebows and longbows for a shot. That would be cool to see :)

I will probably be bringing one of the horsebows and probably a vintage 1965 bear magnum recurve. Anysia hasn't decided what bows she will be shooting.

Yeah Mick Smith I'll try to make some room for the AMO58 Red Wing for a reunion. Don't worry, I won't "modify it as take down" for easy storage :twisted: :wink:

Yeah...we are coming (and looking forward to it)! We'll sort out the paperwork and the make the necessary bookings in the next couple of weeks.

Happy shooting all and see you on the range.
They'll never hit us from this dist....

MaylandL

Bigger than Ben Hur

#27 Post by MaylandL » Sat May 13, 2006 12:13 am

G'day all
Anysia and I, after much discussion, will be at the meet. 8) We are getting our flights, accommodation and hire car organised. Also decided to get a case custom made for the bows, arrows, other tackle and arrow parts. I thought having 1 case with the bulk of our tackle is a lot easier to manage. There's other logistical tasks to do as well which I won't bore you with but its heading towards Cecil B DeMille logistical proportions.:roll:

Don't worry Lochmoy, we'll be sending through the paper work and cheque when we get our flights and accommodation confirmed. ;)

We are going to make a holiday of it as well since we're travelling across the country. We are going to be playing tourist in Melbourne for a couple of days either side of the tourney. Anysia hasnt been to Melbourne so I'm going to show her some of the sights in Melbourne, lygon st, Federation Sq, Acquarium, China Town, Vic Markets...the touristy stuff.

Speaking of, we will have a few hours to kill in Geelong on the 4th Sept before heading back to Melbourne. Anyone got some suggestions of some touristy things we can do?

Happy shooting all and see ya on the range. :)

Mick Smith

#28 Post by Mick Smith » Sat May 13, 2006 1:18 pm

Mayland

That's excellent news. 8)

As far as killing a few hours in Geelong, well there's not much to see really. There's the waterfront which is nice and it's right on the edge of the central business district. Also in the same immediate vicinity there's the National Wool Museum. I don't know what that's like (never been), but it's supposed to be good. You could go for a tour of the old Geelong gaol, it's open to the public.

Generally speaking, Geelong doesn't really have that much to offer tourists.

You could drive out to the You Yangs on the way back to the airport. The You Yangs State Park is only about 10 kms from Avalon Airport. You can't miss the You Yangs, they are a series of rocky outcrops that are visible from Geelong and Melbourne. There's a walking track to the top. It takes about 30 minutes from the carpark and the views are spectacular.

Anyway mate, we can talk about stuff like this in person. :wink:

I'm busy making up a set of a dozen Silverwood arrows for the big event, any excuse to make more arrows, eh? :D

Mick

MaylandL

#29 Post by MaylandL » Sun May 14, 2006 9:35 am

Mick Smith wrote:...
As far as killing a few hours in Geelong, well there's not much to see really. ...Generally speaking, Geelong doesn't really have that much to offer tourists. ...Anyway mate, we can talk about stuff like this in person. :wink:
Looking forward to it. I'm sure there must be some real jewels in Geelong :)
I'm busy making up a set of a dozen Silverwood arrows for the big event, any excuse to make more arrows, eh? ...
Its a prerequisite, in my books :twisted: 8) Kinda like getting new duds for a prom.

Only problem is which arrows am I going to take...So little space soo many arrows...oh the humanity of it all :shock: :wink:

little arrows

#30 Post by little arrows » Tue May 16, 2006 1:14 pm

Hey everyone,
There is, so far, 5 of us flying down out of Brisbane. I have booked a really big room at the close motel (as mentioned above and on the flyer), wasn't going to hire a car, but getting to the dinner could be difficult - where is everyone else staying?
sue