Geelong Vic. Trad shoot entry form Sept 2nd, 3rd

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

#91 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:49 pm

More photos ......... Are ya sick of 'em yet?
Attachments
Between rounds herd shoot.JPG
Between rounds herd shoot.JPG (107.09 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
More scoring herd shoot.JPG
More scoring herd shoot.JPG (108.93 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
Shooting the herd.JPG
Shooting the herd.JPG (110.94 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#92 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:57 pm

I'm starting to run out of photos now. :cry:

Let's see what's left .....
Attachments
Mayland accepting prize.JPG
Mayland accepting prize.JPG (88.67 KiB) Viewed 6661 times
Wildwood banner.JPG
Wildwood banner.JPG (139.6 KiB) Viewed 6661 times
MS shooting at the herd.JPG
MS shooting at the herd.JPG (85.29 KiB) Viewed 6661 times
The herd shoot.JPG
The herd shoot.JPG (83.02 KiB) Viewed 6661 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#93 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:27 pm

I labelled some of my photos incorrectly. I'd like to apologise to the people effected. There's a photo labelled "Steve" and Wing, of course it should read "Les and Wing". Sorry Les :D . The way "my pictures" is set up, I don't actually get to see the photo I'm about to post, just the name.

In a few of the photos, I've call Ben of Longshot Archery, bmlongbow, and of course his real user name on Ozbow is bmlongshot, sorry Ben. :oops:

I don't have any photos at all of the "hunt" as I bumped my camera settings from ordinary photos to movie mode. I've got lots of nice short movies that start with something interesting, but quickly finish as I put the camera back in my pocket. :oops: :D

I've had a big weekend and I'm completely stuffed. I loved it though. 8)

Thanks Lockmoy aka Leigh, for making it all possible (with the help of loyal Geelong Archers club members). :wink:

Now I'd like to see everyone else's photos please. :D

Mick

GrahameA

#94 Post by GrahameA » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:45 pm

Hi Mick

A, "Thank You", from me. I think the photos are great.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

MaylandL

#95 Post by MaylandL » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:59 pm

GrahameA wrote:...
Check out the Photos on Archery Forum.

In particular check the shooting line and some Asian Recurve archers from Sandgroper land.

http://www.archery-forum.com/showthread ... post201445
What..who us?? ;) We did travel the furthest :D

It was great to meet ozbowers, other trad archers and other horsebow shooters. Towball (as Anysia and I said you, in D&D terms are a Chaotic Good Care Bear) your company was memorable and humour infectious. To all the participants and ozbowers, it was a pleasure spending a weekend flinging arrows with you.

Both Anysia & I are looking forward to the next we get to be on the shooting line with you.

Happy shooting :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

piggy

#96 Post by piggy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:47 pm

going by the posts it looks like a great time was had by all.
Thanks Mick for the pictures there great

maskn

#97 Post by maskn » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 am

Wow what a weekend. :mrgreen:

Mick, I'll get some images of the hunt up in the next week or so... (Got some goodies)

Personal Record
Castle Clout - Not my best event by far (still fun though)

The Hunt - Awesome! 3D targets in some tricky spots but not too hard (killed a tree or two as well

Pidgin Shot - My first time with Flu-Flu's (Gotta get me some of them) hit 1 target

Night shot - Bloody hard. Hit one target.

-----Next Day-----

Hunting the herd - Hit one target and it was a 10X (woot!)

Kings round - Made me cry, I broke TWO! arrows in the first end :evil:

All in all a great weekend

Anna

#98 Post by Anna » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:32 pm

Many thanks to Leigh, Gavin, and all the other organisers for all the hard work and effort put into organising the shoot. We Queenslanders had a great weekend down in Geelong despite having to cope with 56 seasons in one day (I thought there were only meant to be 4?... :? )

It was great to put more faces to names and get to know trad archers from various parts of the country, and the shooting was very enjoyable too. Long, open shots out on the oval and interesting target placements in the cover made for a varied and challenging weekend.

Thanks again for all the effort guys :D

Will try and post some pics shortly....

bmlongshot

#99 Post by bmlongshot » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:10 pm

A really great weekend! Leigh, Gavin and the Geelong guys and girls did themselves proud. It was fantastic seeing so many shooters, variety of gear and the great sense of relaxation and participation.
The events had something to offer everyone and ensured that the diversity of the whole 'trad' spectrum was included. This in turn meant that it was very open in the competitve sense to any and all. This also meant that I realised how very CRAP I am at anything to do with target archery and or long distance shooting.
Thankyou Mick for the great photo's, companionship and laughter over the weekend.
Les...i know you resorted to physical intimidation and score sheet tampering.......... seriously, well done and hopefully I'll get you next time.It was a pleasure and laugh to go round the course with you but next time we are going to shoot in the mud and rain.....bet you get your clothes dirty then !!!!!!
cheers and thankyou's to all

ben

Mick Smith

#100 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:15 pm

I've gone through my photos again and here's a few I missed earlier.

It was an absolute pleasure to spend a couple of days with such nice people. I was fantastic to finally meet Wing aka Mayland and Anysia and they're even nicer in person, not to mention ole_silver aka Steve. I've forged new friendships over the weekend. It was great meeting Ben, Ned and Paddy, three like minded blokes, we "clicked" almost immediately. There were others too, like Mr Cool or Les as we know him better, a class act both behind the bow and in person. There were plenty of others, too many to mention, to many to remember their names :oops: , but all very friendly. Geeze, we could have just stood around for two days and talked.

There were a couple of things that stand out as being unusual, one was Rob McKenzie breaking his much prized bow and then turning around and buying a beautiful new one the same day. Another was ole_silver winning the raffle and selecting a beautiful backquiver from the prizes (he's wearing it in my photo of him). I really enjoyed seeing some of the blokes really getting into the atmosphere of the occasion, there was one bloke getting around in chain mail and another in a kilt. It made me feel more normal somehow. I loved it all and I can't wait for the next one.

Mick
Attachments
Anna receiving prize.JPG
Anna receiving prize.JPG (76.31 KiB) Viewed 6536 times
mate's son holding Atilla bow.JPG
mate's son holding Atilla bow.JPG (142.29 KiB) Viewed 6536 times
Scoring hits on the wolf.JPG
Scoring hits on the wolf.JPG (148.2 KiB) Viewed 6536 times

Mick Smith

#101 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:19 pm

This is absolutely the last one, I promise. :wink:
Attachments
bmlongshot receiving prize.JPG
bmlongshot receiving prize.JPG (73.18 KiB) Viewed 6532 times

Lochmoy

I will recover soon

#102 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:31 pm

Well, it's over and although it was hard work the rewards were incalculable. Next year I know for certain there will be a calendar of Trad. events in Victoria. Traditional Archery in Victoria is in for a revolution and a massive expansion. It is the beginning of a new and exciting time. Already Ben and Anthony (Daylesford and Leongatha respectively) are planning events for 2007. We will post the calendar when confirmed.

Thanks everyone for the warm and heart felt comments. It makes it all worthwhile and spurs us on to do more stuff (post recovery).

I am especially pleased that the Queenslanders now have a new found respect the toughness of us Southerners. We offered them up every conceivable weather pattern. At least it's not boring!

I want, I want, I want and will order some of Steve Wallaces arrows! and I want them now!!!!!!!

My apologies to anyone who I may have been kurt with over the weekend. I blame the pressure.

Till next time all.

Leigh and Gavin at Geelong Archers and "Wildwood"
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

Anysia

#103 Post by Anysia » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:57 pm

Anna wrote:Many thanks to Leigh, Gavin, and all the other organisers for all the hard work and effort put into organising the shoot. We Queenslanders had a great weekend down in Geelong despite having to cope with 56 seasons in one day (I thought there were only meant to be 4?... :? )
I add my thanks to Leigh and Gavin.

As for the 4 seasons, that we did have. Just had it 14 times! :shock:
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with their experience.
"You're only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely!" .. Ogden Nash

robbbo

#104 Post by robbbo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:21 pm

It certainly sounds that everyone had a great time unfortunately due to work commintments my family and I could not get down to have a look(I shoot a compound)but the archery bug is now drawing me into other styles and it would of been great to get down and have a look and talk to you all :)
Andrew

MaylandL

Back Home

#105 Post by MaylandL » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:31 am

Finally back in Perth and upacking/stowing the kit for the Sunday at the range. Will be showing off the new Traditional Archery Australia Badges and patches too. Again to all at the Geelong shoot thanks for a great weekend.

Happy shooting all :)

Mick Smith

#106 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:07 am

Mayland

I glad you made it home safely. You and Anysia must be very tired after all the shooting and walking, not to mention the flights. The huemungus bow and arrow case would have taken some manhandling too.

I have the feeling this won't be your last traditional archery tournament. If you're anything like me, I can't wait for the next one. I don't know if I'd travel to Perth though as it's a long long way.

I really was impressed with your horn horsebow. It really spat those arrows out and it is beautifully made too. 8) I like Anysia's little bow too. Actually I was surprised at just how many horsebows were being used at the Geelong shoot. They seem to becoming a more and more popular first choice for traditional archers.

It was an absolute pleasure to finally meet you. You are almost exactly as I imagined. Your reserved and quiet demeanour couldn't hide your obvious passion for archery. You and Anysia are truly a lucky couple, in that you share your passion, for not only for each other, but for what you both enjoy doing together. :D

I didn't see you taking many photos at the event, but I'd love to see whatever photos you did take.

Thanks for coming. 8)

Mick

danceswithdingoes

#107 Post by danceswithdingoes » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:00 pm

When's 'Wildood Archery' going to develop its website? :roll:
ImageImage

MaylandL

#108 Post by MaylandL » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Mick Smith wrote:...I have the feeling this won't be your last traditional archery tournament. ...
Yeah, we're looking forward to the next time and I'm thinking about setting one up for WA. Sometime next year maybe.
...It was an absolute pleasure to finally meet you. ...
Likewise and look forward to next time when we are on the shooting line again.
...I didn't see you taking many photos at the event, but I'd love to see whatever photos you did take.
Unfortunately we were so focussed on flinging arrows we didn't get the chance to take many photos. Anysia did take a lot of the scenery on the Great Ocean Road, Melb Acquarium and Zoo though :)

Happy shooting

Anysia

#109 Post by Anysia » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:49 pm

MaylandL wrote: Unfortunately we were so focussed on flinging arrows we didn't get the chance to take many photos. Anysia did take a lot of the scenery on the Great Ocean Road, Melb Acquarium and Zoo though :)
Happy shooting
Oops. :oops: :oops:
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with their experience.
"You're only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely!" .. Ogden Nash

Mick Smith

#110 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:14 pm

:lol: Oh well, no worries, I was looking forward to seeing some shots without me in them. I gave my camera to a mate with the directions of "don't take any of me" and there's heaps with me in them. :?

I would have liked to see some of the "Hunt" seeing that mine didn't come out. I didn't get any of the "Kings Round" either as I was too busy replacing busted arrows and looking for arrows in the creek. :oops:

From what I've heard from various sources, there will be many additional traditional shoots in the near future, many of them in Victoria. It may become a new source of enjoyment for the family and I, travelling around the state. 8)

Mick

ole_silver

welllllllllllllll..................

#111 Post by ole_silver » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:44 pm

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLL..................

what a fantastic time, what a great weekend, what a great bunch people, it is a credit to Lockmoy, Gavin & the whole crew from Geelong Archers.

it would be impossible to remember all the names..... of the all the characters i did meet......... the Hunter Boys, the Noosa Mob.......
Nev n Shelly.. Jeff the axe man.. the WA connection Anysia n MaylandL...
maskn n his mates....... Ben the longbow............... but never to forget the shy Mr Mick Smith... hard to get him into the pictures, ay........

bows n arrows of the like i have never seen before..........

Lockmoy....... thank you for the great effort, well done mate..

best regards to all,
Steve..

archangel

#112 Post by archangel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:07 pm

What a treat to see all of the photos (well done Mick, etc) with so many people across Australia sharing a passion for traditional archery. The different novelty shoots the 'herd' and the castle clout must have been great fun. Congratulations to Lochmoy, Gavin and Geelong crew.

Special mention of MaylandL and Anysia made by Mick:
It was an absolute pleasure to finally meet you. You are almost exactly as I imagined. Your reserved and quiet demeanour couldn't hide your obvious passion for archery. You and Anysia are truly a lucky couple, in that you share your passion, for not only for each other, but for what you both enjoy doing together.
You're right on with your comments, Mick. I have had so much support and generosity from MaylandL. Their decision to attend the weekend as West Australian "reps" must have made this a really national event. With over a dozen trad shooters here, hopefully we can host a similar event some time.

Lochmoy

Wildwood

#113 Post by Lochmoy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:01 pm

In answer to when the website is going to up and running. Soon, soon. Maybe a month I hope. Eventually we want the site to have more than just equipment but also a place where people can post stuff related to horsebows and trad archery in general. In fact I am thinking of creating a horse bow society and maybe have one of the makers. Toth or Kassai come down and do a horse riding/shooting demo. up at daylesford where Ben has horses. (haven't spoken to Ben yet about that one!

You're right Mick. The horse bows are unique and are making quite a splash. So much so that I have decided to have a one day Eastern (horse or Asian style) Bow Challenge late October/early November if the club will let me. It would be a scaled down affair with maybe 20 archers and both team and individual events. (I'll post details soon)

Problem is you'll have to buy a horsebow (chuckle).

Anyway following the success of the Geelong shoot I aim to have a calender of Traditional events in Victoria in 2007.

The plan is 2 or 3 at Geelong, one in Leongatha, one in Daylesford and maybe one at Morwell. If anyone wants to put one on in Victoria next year let me know and I can assist you. You don't have to have it huge. Make it one day and do whatever you feel comfortable doing. I'm working on a data base where I will be able to email a large number of people to inform them of up coming events along with sites like ozbow

The Traditional side of things will flourish if there are lots of oppurtunites to shoot have fun and compete.

Again thanks for all the positive feedback.

Anna

#114 Post by Anna » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:15 am

A few more pics...
Attachments
the_hunt.JPG
the_hunt.JPG (51.2 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
deer_herd.JPG
deer_herd.JPG (101.34 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
crocodile.JPG
crocodile.JPG (101.85 KiB) Viewed 6338 times

Anna

#115 Post by Anna » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:25 am

and a few more at the bow bird...
Attachments
loose_.JPG
loose_.JPG (74.16 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
aim[1]....JPG
aim[1]....JPG (77.69 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
ready[1]....JPG
ready[1]....JPG (77.22 KiB) Viewed 6331 times

Lochmoy

#116 Post by Lochmoy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:49 pm

Just testing to see if upload worked

White Hawk

Geelong Tournament photos!

#117 Post by White Hawk » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:26 pm

Howdy folks,

sorry it has taken me awhile to get these on the site but after the tournament my return to work has been well, busy, very busy. Anyway I have selected a few to show the diverse range of events that were on offer and some of the fantastic people that attended. A big thanks to you all for such a great turn out it made all the hard work so very worth it.

With what this event has prompted in Vic I feel that with the enthusiasm generated and the potential now experienced that Trad archery is going to take off in our state, and make it as successful here as it is North of the boarder.

It was fantastic to meet so many of the people that post here and put names to faces and can only serve to bring us all together even closer.

Anyway here are some of the photos I have collected. enjoy.

Gav
Geelong Archers
Attachments
clout008.jpg
clout008.jpg (92.09 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
downhill shot.jpg
downhill shot.jpg (117.8 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
fluflu3675.jpg
fluflu3675.jpg (46.91 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
fluflu.leigh.3677.jpg
fluflu.leigh.3677.jpg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
hunt3647.jpg
hunt3647.jpg (114.35 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
hunt.kurt3657.jpg
hunt.kurt3657.jpg (121.02 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
hunt.robert3649.jpg
hunt.robert3649.jpg (115.06 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
night.hunt023.jpg
night.hunt023.jpg (64.52 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
x.practice013.jpg
x.practice013.jpg (98.96 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
loose2.jpg
loose2.jpg (105.69 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

buzz

#118 Post by buzz » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:51 pm

That first pic of the shooting line in White Hawk's post is just fantastic.

Mark

bleeroyb

#119 Post by bleeroyb » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:52 am

I'm so sad I didn't have the weekend off for the shoot...damnit, though I will go to the next one for sure, looks like I missed HEAPS of fun!

BTW, when is the next shoot? :P

Cheers,

Leeroy
Days, when the ball of our vision
Had eagles that flew unabashed to the sun;
When the grasp on the bow was decision,
And arrow and hand and eye were one.

-George Meredith (excerpt of 'Ode to youth in memory')