Perth 'Stick and String' longbow event

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Mububban

#1 Post by Mububban » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:32 pm

Hi there, I just joined thsi board today and purchased my first longbow on the weekend, a 50lb spotted gum self bow. I only shoot with wooden arrows and much prefer murdering milk bottles scattered around the bush to a circle target.

I'm in a medieval re-enacting group over here in Perth called The Grey Company so we've got a few traditional archery fans. There are several similar groups over east so if you can find them they might know of some similar trad events.

I just heard of an annual Perth longbow event called the Stick and String event. I believe it's around April, once I get some details I'll post them to you.

erron

#2 Post by erron » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:41 pm

Hi Mububban, welcome to the site!

I split your post into its own thread, as that will make it more noticeable when you can post more details of the Perth event.

cheers,

:)

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:51 pm

G'day Mububban,

As I said to you in another thread, welcome to the site. There are a few memebers of Ozbow in your part of the world so please post the info on the shoot when you get it.

Jeff

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:45 pm

Mububban

Grey Company huh!

They are into Trebuchets etc. aren't they??

We could see some big bows soon :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mububban

#5 Post by Mububban » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:51 pm

I checked out the Archery WA site, and their 2006 calendar says that the Stick & String event will be held on Sunday August 27. No location yet.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to attend :-( My medieval group do a big annual show down south at Balingup, and it's on that weekend. AARRGGHH!!!

However, I did see a Barebow Field Tournament to be held in Baldivis on Sunday September 10. If I find more info on that I'll let you know.

Mububban

#6 Post by Mububban » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:55 pm

GrahameA wrote:Mububban

Grey Company huh!

They are into Trebuchets etc. aren't they??

We could see some big bows soon :D

Yep, we sure do. A couple of our guys have built 3 different trebs, the biggest having a frame maybe 7-8 feet tall. They were throwing full 2 litre Coke bottles across a football field at one show :-)

Their page is here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~rmine/gctrebs.html

But I've got something even cooler, more on that later......

Mububban

#7 Post by Mububban » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:48 pm

I just remembered - the Stick & String event is held in costume :-) So apparently people rock up in their outfits ranging from home made Robin Hood costumes, to full on authentic re-enacting garb.

Like I said before, I've got somethign on that weekend, but I'd love to see this event and take part in it, so I'll have to see which one I want to go to more when the time comes.....