National Traditional Shoot.

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Lochmoy

#1 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:04 pm

In September this year (we hope) The Geelong Archers are planning to hold a "Traditional shoot" weekend. As the new president of the club I'd like to see it become a yearly event. It could be an inaugral "National shoot".

It would be held over a weekend and would include a variety of exiting events.

We have researched traditional events from around the world and have come up with several core ones

1. The Wand Target style event
2. Speed shooting
3. Flight (distance)
4. Clout (includes possible 3D animal clout)
5. "The Hunt" 3D shoot.

Other events would include

Mock bird shoot
Running Javelina
Mock fish shoot
Charging boar or bear (haven't quite figured that out yet
Night shoot. (6 3D animals at varying short distances, six lights. Lights go on randomly for 3 seconds. Shooter must loose arrow before light goes off)

If we can get good numbers we can afford good prizes/trophies.

The basis for a lot of the events is medieval. We might have seperate self bow and laminated bow events again depending on numbers.

We would have bowyers come and show off their wares also.

Geelong once held a regular field event (apparently I'm am reliably informed we have one of the best field courses in the Sth. Hemi.

We are having our 2nd 3Daaa shoot in June so we are geared up to host some good events.

If anyone our there thinks this is a good idea and might attend I wouldn't mind hearing. It's a bit premature but it would be good to gauge the interest out there.

Leigh
I have taken the path less trod and it has made all the difference

erron

#2 Post by erron » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:52 pm

Leigh,

sounds excellent! September is a way off, but even so it's nice to see folks organizing shoots like this one!

Erron

Anna

#3 Post by Anna » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:42 am

Leigh,

Sounds great! A French Army shot is always good fun too- Stand a dozen cardboard cut outs of knights, crossbowmen, swordmen etc near the bottom of a gently sloping hill. line up all your archers about 200 yards up the hill and all shoot together. Lovely to watch the hail of arrows! :D

Anna

Lochmoy

Trad archery

#4 Post by Lochmoy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:17 pm

True, September is way off but I want lots of time to devise cunning and exciting events. I have a bit of a dream that this could one day become "the" Southern Australian event that is not to be missed.

Love the idea of the French shoot but someone mentioned you can't legally in Australia shoot at effigies of humans. Is this so?

hellier

#5 Post by hellier » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:36 pm

apparently it's ok if they're kiwi ? whatever that is :lol:
On a less serious note a good game we played long ago was a version of clouts...using flu - flu's with rubber blunts a group of archers stand close together, a rope is laid around them on the ground. one by one the arrow is fired skywards to fall back on the group, anyone actually hit is out ,as is anyone who breaks ranks, the circle gets smaller with each hit etc...
Just a thought really....and bloody good fun :twisted:
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

NCArcher

Re: Trad archery

#6 Post by NCArcher » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:52 am

Lochmoy wrote:
Love the idea of the French shoot but someone mentioned you can't legally in Australia shoot at effigies of humans. Is this so?
If that's the case, just make them orcs or alien knights. :wink:

yeoman

#7 Post by yeoman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:11 am

I dunno about that shooting at human effigies thing. In combat archery, people shoot not at human effigies, but at real people! We all run around, with varying degrees of formation and discipline, trying to anihilate the other army. Lots of protective clothing required though.

I for one would be very interested in this shoot you're planning. Count me in! I know it's early, but any idea about what the cost might be? What are the chances of having a car boot sale thing?

Lochmoy, I sent you a PM

Lotsa interest from me....

Dave
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

Lochmoy

#8 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:17 pm

These responses are really great. They spur me on to make it good.

1. The cost. That's something I haven't as yet put alot of thought in. So I will now and maybe some of you have idea.

I would like to earn a little for the club and enough money to get some decent prizes which will inturn encourage more to come the following year. Costs are minimal and would mainly be to cover where and tear of the 3D targets. For insurance purposes we would hold it under the auspices either of 3Daaa or AV. All this would mean is that non- members would have an additional charge of no more than a few bucks for a temporary membership.

All this being said I want to keep it economical. Based on the 3d comp we held last year and individual shoot for an adult was between $30 to $40 depending of the number of days and status. Does this sound reasonable. Too little or too much for a two day event?

2. I would love to have some sort of medieval clout and effigies that are less human like sound less risky. Shooting at each other with blunts sounds great also as I am making links with reenactment groups from Melbourne. I however blieve that this wouldn't pass the associations rules for insurance cover. (although I would love to do it myself!)

Anyway, I want to cater for 3daaa enthusiasts, medieval buffs, bow hunters and AV members who want more than just target. Lots for everyone. Without predjudice towards each others styles. A bringing together of archers from all disciplines, embracing the variations of the pursuit.

A car boot sale is a super fantasitc idea. Kind of like a big swap meet for archers! This kind of concept is like that Canadian Indian/French idea of "Rendevous" or the New Guinea Highlands "Sing Sing"

A great, enthusiasitic gathering who's time has come

Lochmoy

#9 Post by Lochmoy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:21 pm

Just re-read my last entry. Sorry, forgot to proof read and spell check. Sorry to all grammar buffs.

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:24 pm

Lockmoy

It sounds fantastic! I'll be there for sure, seeing as I'm a local. Where will it be?

I might drop in one day to check out your club.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Anna

#11 Post by Anna » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:22 pm

Another idea: The SPTA (Society for the preservation of Traditional Archery) over here used to do a mock horse archery shot. Mount a saddle on a trailer behind a 4 wheel bike (or get some people to pull it), sit your archer on top and shoot 5 or 6 arrows at a target as you ride towards it, past it, and away. Turn around at the other end and repeat going the other direction. If the ground's too rough, do it on foot, but make sure the archer stands with feet well apart to mimic being on a horse. I'd love to try this on a horse but I think that takes a lot of practice!

Jeffro

#12 Post by Jeffro » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:11 pm

sounds fantastic to me too and ive never been to geelong so id come for sure

Lochmoy

#13 Post by Lochmoy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:50 pm

The horse stuff sounds like a hoot! Tricky though maybe. The Geelong club meets Saturdays in the afternoons at Jarvis Oval, Deakin Uni, Waurn ponds.

Please come and join so we can have more trad archers to add to the excitement. I just purchased some 3D targets for the club.

buzz

#14 Post by buzz » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:21 pm

Offer a "Kings Round". (I think that is the name...)
Start at say 20yards and six arrows each, all you need is a single scoring shot on the (80cm?) face. Scoring puts you into the next round. Move the target back 10yards and keep going with another 6 arrows each and the last person left is the winner.

A variation on this would be to run it like athletics high jump... only have 6 shots all up and move the target back 10m at a time, then 5m at a time from 50m and the archers nominate when they want to shoot. The person who has the last scoring shot, so the shot that scores at the farthest distance, wins. A test of accuracy and nerves.... when do you have a shot to get on the scoreboard, when do you shoot the last shaft.

You could do a variation on clout where the target is determined by an arrow fired from the line, so it will not be the regulation distance away and the archers will need to guess the distance. Sort of like lawnbowls without the white pants and cardigans....
sssshhhh.... they are watching

longbowman

#15 Post by longbowman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:28 pm

set the dates and we will be there. we need alot more of these fun events here in aust as the sport is suffering with all the serious stuff all the time.

Lochmoy

Kings round

#16 Post by Lochmoy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:32 pm

Buzz. Really like the idea of the kings round. I reckon that can be our target round. Sounds a lot more fun than the idea I had. Also the clout. What you have described sounds a bit like roving clout without the roving.

buzz

#17 Post by buzz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:51 pm

Lochmoy,
the Kings round (if I got the name right) is easier to manage than a full SCA "Inter Kingdom Archery Competition" (IKAC). That runs *I think* 2 ends each at 40, 30, 20 and 10 yards first with 6 shots at your own pace, a then a speed round of 30 seconds.

I am likely horribly wrong and confused with names and details but its kinda like what I described....

Mark

Lochmoy

#18 Post by Lochmoy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:21 pm

The Great Southern Traditional Archery Tournament date is now fixed, 3rd and 4th of June. We are hoping for a strong attendance so we can make it a regular event. For event details see my other announcement. If you are interested, email me for details.

danceswithdingoes

#19 Post by danceswithdingoes » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:43 am

Great timing, the week before The Gathering :roll: best of luck

Robert

#20 Post by Robert » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:14 pm

Great timing, one week before The Gathering and Gladstone,
what happened to your first choice, September.
Best of luck

little arrows

#21 Post by little arrows » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:15 pm

you had quite a few of us really interested, and set for a trip way down south, until you set the date - September would have been brilliant - but June got Gladstone - sorry, but good luck - and maybe Sept next year?
sue

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

June weekend

#22 Post by greybeard » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:23 am

There are not enough long weekends in the year to host good shoots. Maybe we should petition governments for a four day long weekend every month. This would enable trad shoots to be spaced evenly during the year.
Best of luck with your shoot.
Daryl.