2006 Ozbow hunt ???

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

What sort of hunt would you prefer for next year?

A long weekend hunt for sambar in Victoria
11%
A long weekend hunt on "pay property" outback NSW
7%
A longer duration hunt on a "pay property"
32%
Long weekend hunt private property eastern NSW
18%
A longer duration hunt for sambar etc in Victoria
18%
A hunt on a "pay property" in central/western Qld
11%
Something not listed here (please elaborate below)
4%
I would never hunt on a "pay" property
No votes
I know the perfect place (please elaborate below)
No votes

Total votes: 28

Mick Smith

#31 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:44 pm

Hey Butch, it sounds like it will be a great trip alright. I should be a lot easier than pushing a bicycle through sand in the hot sun.

Are you going down a river or across flat water? I'm sure Stace and ET will love it. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

piggy

#32 Post by piggy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:56 pm

Earlier in this thraed someone mentioned hunting (Santosa). Was speaking to some hunter friends who went there on an open day and said if you like to shoot deer that will stand in the paddock while you drive up to them it's ok.

trash one

#33 Post by trash one » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:48 am

Hay Jindy
A couple of hours in a canoe is pretty tough on the butt and legs they tend to go to sleep, I once got out of the canoe after a hunt and my legs folded under me and I ended up in the mud.

Hay Mick
We will be on moving water first but if things are quite we can move camp and try the flat.

CATCH YA
BUTCH

RecurveRon

#34 Post by RecurveRon » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:03 pm

G'day Mick, i have just taken my coleman scanoe down one of the rivers not to far from Melb,just a practice run for a more serious hunting trip in maybe May ,glad i did it in summer as we high sided it on some fallen timber and the edge went under water and flipped in no time.It was a good reminder to keep your wits about you at all times as we were getting pretty comfortable with our ability until then.If your feeling adventurous please feel free to email me about a future trip.Regards Ron

Mick Smith

#35 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:13 pm

Hey Ron, I bet you paddled the Goulburn. It can be tricky at this time of year with the high volumes for irrigation purposes. I was more interested in a pristine wilderness river crawling with sambar though.

I would be interested in organising a trip at some time. We'd have to work out the best river and time to do the trip. The hardest part will be co-ordinating our holidays so they coincide.

Maybe a couple of other members might want to come. We could have 2 canoes with 2 blokes in each. Maybe even more, if participants already own their own canoes.

Canoeing into remote areas would be a great way to go. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Jeffro

#36 Post by Jeffro » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:48 pm

Hey guys,
I didnt know there was an ozbow hunt. naturally im keen as.
I was speaking to a property owner of a pay property near narrabri who reckons hes got a fair ammount of pigs but adams contact sounds pretty good .
Mick the canoeing dream is an excellent one. I couldnt think of a better dream holiday if i tried. Count me in .
Where was the ozbow hunt last year?

Mick Smith

#37 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:35 pm

Jeffro

The 2005 Ozbow hunt was in the Victorian High Country, not that far from Corryong in Victoria's northeast. We hunted sambar deer. It wasn't all that successful as none of us had been into that area before, plus we only had 3 days. We did have a great get together though. It was fantastic to be able to meet so many Ozbow members face to face.

There's a thread in this forum about it, with lots of photos. I think we all had a good time, even though game was scarce. We discussed the possiblility of a 2006 hunt and we agreed it might be better to have it somewhere where game is more abundant and also to have it for a longer period of time, a week perhaps.

So far, the 2006 hunt is looking dodgey. We haven't come to any conclusions to date and the year is slipping by.

I'm certainly still very interested, but it appears I'm one of the few. Maybe we could organise a pay property in November and whoever turns up, turns up. Does anyone know a good place?

Mick

Jeffro

#38 Post by Jeffro » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:51 pm

http://www.ozziehunting.com/propnsw.html
Mick i phoned the guy at the narrabri property in this link above and he reckons theres quite a bit of game there.
He sounded keen and there was a variety of accomodation
....tents...shearing sheds or cabin with shower.
and the prices were 45,55 and 70 bucks a night but i reckon hed come down a bit if there was a few of us.
His name is Ted and the numbers0267834234 if anyone wanted to hear about it from the owner himself. He spoke to me for about half an hour so i cant remember all the details .
I know he gets some rifle shooters there and takes them out spotlighting in his 4wd for 25 bucks a night.Also i dont remember the exact numbers but i think he said they got 270 pigs or something last year,coulda been more and it borders on a national park or state forest and he reckons game keeps coming through from there all the time.
I too would be very interested
I asked him if there was regular holes in the fence you could find where pigs come through and the answer was yes
Also there is a vitorian property advertised with fallow and sambar
just replace the nsw bit with vic in the html of the link i posted
it says they have trout in the river and its a pine plantation surrounded on 3 sides by state forest in the mount erica foothills.foxes and dingoes aswell
I dont know where that is but if its a goer ill drive down for sure.

Mick Smith

#39 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:34 pm

Jeffro

It sounds like that property gets a hiding from rifle hunters. If there is good numbers of pigs coming into it from neighbouring properties or national parks it could be alright.

It's one thing to bag a lonely pig at night with a spotlight and a rifle and something entirely else to be able to bag one in the daytime with a bow.

In my limited pig hunting experience, I reckon not only do you want good numbers of relatively docile pigs, you want excellent cover for stalking up close to them. I've hunted in open country and I've hunted in thick lignum, I've also hunted along watercourses with good cover. The latter two were great, but the open country just wasn't viable IMO.

I think that 270 pigs taken in one year on a pay property, might indicate that there's not that many about. One of my rifle hunting mates hunted a property near Louth last year and got 68 pigs in a week. He came back a bit disappointed and said there wasn't much around. He said that property has a huge lignum swamp and that's where all the pigs were.

Maybe we could ask around and get some first hand experiences of people who have hunted various properties and make some comparisons before committing ourselves to any one property.

We would also have to allocate the date and duration as soon as possible to allow participants to make arrangements.

As you can see Jeffro, is almost impossible to achieve a general consensus. It's worth persisting though. :wink:

Mick

RecurveRon

#40 Post by RecurveRon » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:26 am

G'day Mick , if the pay property doesn't come off maybe just plan another Sambar get together, set the date and who ever can make it will come, seems the last one was well attended and enjoyed by all even if the hunting wasn't a success.Regards Ron

humphrey

#41 Post by humphrey » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:44 pm

i think that sounds alright ron. if nothing gets organised, then maybe have a hunt up in the high country again during winter for sambar and dogs etc.
theres quite a few guys from vic here and its probably not too far of a drive for guys in southern nsw. at least its a get together and im sure it would be a fun weekend. :D

Mick Smith

#42 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:49 pm

Yeah fellas, another trip into the high country might be the best bet. :wink:

This country is just too big to expect members to travel interstate to hunt. We may well end up with several hunts happening each year in different parts of the country. This way, if you're really keen to sample sambar hunting for example, you can travel as far as you like to participate, if you want to. Likewise, if a hunt eventuates in some other part of the country that you would like to see and hunt, then all you have to do is get yourself there.

Maybe a long weekend in June (Queen's birthday holiday on Monday 12/6/06) might be the go. What do you think? 8)

Mick

hellier

#43 Post by hellier » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:10 am

Re the distance issue...maybe we could have a state by state hunt...I gotta good place here in QLD....a few blokes could have a couple of good days hunting there no worries...also there's a fair few other attractions like the whitsunday islands if the hunts turn bad... 8)
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

Jeffro

#44 Post by Jeffro » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:24 pm

sounds unreal hellier,im in sydney but ill gladly jump on a plane for that or to vic if yours doesnt happen.but i like the sound of qld better cause there is pigs

Sparra

#45 Post by Sparra » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:52 pm

Gaday Mick...I had a great time in Vic at the last get together and am looking forward to the next one but June is out for me as I'm off to Darwin for 4 weeks(all of July) but if June suits everyone else go for it...Make sure the wood witch is there(Woody)to keep all you fella's warm...
Regards...Sparra

pedro

#46 Post by pedro » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:11 pm

helleir, just curious where youd have a hunt around airlie as i lived there for five years and only saw a couple pigs. it wasnt for lack of trying either.
they were out at ditmar and around the hundred kg mark.
good sting rays and sharks though.

hellier

#47 Post by hellier » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:16 pm

8) Around Ditmar actually mate...at Farmer Freds...... :wink:
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

pedro

#48 Post by pedro » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:52 pm

ha thats funny, i used to hunt farmer freds too. :lol:

hellier

#49 Post by hellier » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:37 am

Yeah he's a bloody legend mate...unfortunately he's had a bad time lately but he's still keeping his chin up...can't really go into it here....but it's a bit thin on the ground game wise...a few smallish pigs around but with all the rain they're way up over the ridges...lately I bin playing down round the dams and lower paddocks after bunnies and dingoes and cats and anything else....when it's drier I reckon we'll see more action....and parks and wildlife have been baiting traps on the conway ranges so that's knocked those on the head :cry: ....I'm gonna hit a place up the bowen river in a coupla months..pay place but.... :wink: